• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

NastyBook

Oooh, Boost Mode for Witcher 3.
AU7Amsc.gif

Wow. Sony is absolutely KILLING it with the PS4. This sounds amazing.

Do we actually know that this DOESN'T also apply to games that already benefit from PRO patches? Not all PRO patches are made the same, so unless they specifically block this boost mode on games with PRO patches, I can see it helping those games as well.

Can't wait to see exactly how this works and what it works with. Need me a PRO asap.

It's really not.

I play BB exclusively offline as I do with my whole PS4 and there are a LOT of chugs and dips.

A lot of those chugs and dips you're seeing are a result of framepacing, not actual framerate dips. From DF's Bloodborne analysis:

And yet something is awry when playing Bloodborne. Its sub-30fps frame-rate drops may be infrequent, but on close analysis the bigger issue here is in its frame-pacing. As it turns out, From Software's implementation of a 30fps cap means that, as promised, we do get an average refresh at that number near-constantly throughout Yharnam city. The problem? As we've seen with the launch builds of Need for Speed: Rivals and Destiny, an incorrect ordering of frames can cause a nasty stuttering to motion.

So for all those getting excited about Bloodbourne, I take it this won't in any way improve the visuals and cull that damn vaseline filter then?

Musou games need testing, especially DQH. Also Toukiden, that was unlocked too.

Yeah, this was one of the things that sprung to my mind. All the Warriors games I've played have unlocked frame rates, be interesting to see if they are any better.

Great news about Yakuza 0 by the sounds of it. Kinda glad I've held off my replay of the game, might well just wait until this firmware update goes live for everyone so I can replay it without any tearing. Makes me wonder if the same is also true for Kiwami (has the same minor tearing issues).

Wow. Sony is absolutely KILLING it with the PS4. This sounds amazing.

Do we actually know that this DOESN'T also apply to games that already benefit from PRO patches? Not all PRO patches are made the same, so unless they specifically block this boost mode on games with PRO patches, I can see it helping those games as well.

Can't wait to see exactly how this works and what it works with. Need me a PRO asap.

It's impossible unless the Pro Patch is basically broken

M.D

This is awesome, but isn't it against the rules Sony put out to prevent multiplayer advantage for people playing on Pro? I don't know of any multiplayer games that have performance issues which this could significantly impact, but there must be some out there? Although most probably struggle at specific scenarios and not the moment to moment gameplay

Audioboxer

You can forward the message with an invitation to another person and then he goes to the link, gets the code, redeems it.
My Twitter follower just did that to me, so I got into beta.

Really? Maybe that works for people accepted on the forums. Meaning they're technically in the beta, but waiting on the invite email.

Gotta see if someone can forward the email to me! (I have access to the forums).

It's impossible unless the Pro Patch is basically broken
I can understand games that came out AFTER the PRO released, and were developed with it in mind, but for games that were simply patched, why not? The description says nothing about games that were patched, only says games that were released prior to PRO.

5taquitos

I think we need to get scientific with this. Get a spreadsheet going, link some video comparisons.

Basically, do a lot of work for me so I can get hyped

ksimm

Just tried Witcher 3 and feels like locked 30fps.i never remember it running this smoothly, I'm impressed. Trying to upload a run around video

Kinan

Hmm, what should I test? Fallout4? Killzone? Honestly do not remember games with atrocious frame rates, though F4 can be slow. GTAV? Sadly loaned out BB and played Witcher3 on PC, so cant test those. Driveclub? LBP3? Make your call GAF. :)

lcap

Hmm, what should I test? Fallout4? Killzone? Honestly do not remember games with atrocious frame rates, though F4 can be slow. GTAV? Sadly loaned out BB and played Witcher3 on PC, so cant test those. Driveclub? LBP3? Make your call GAF. :)

Try Killzone as it has unlocked framerate to see the differences.

zewone

I want to see if Shadowfall is 60fps now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I bought the game solely based on that article.

If what I played is 'patched', I never want to see the unpatched version. There's a flooded jungle stage later in the game which ran at 10 FPS through out.

This is one of the rare few games I sold without finishing it. I didn't even bother youtubing the ending, it's THAT bad.

Someone posted Evil Within comparison video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqu1ObkxBAs

the poster said the load time also seems faster.

Excellent, also holy shit Amateur PS4 frame rate is that bad ? I finished the game back on PS3, didn't notice that bad frame rate on PS3.

Top Bottom