• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware update 1.62 out now

Oppo

It just launched in Japan.

I suppose, this is a fair point. They sort of had to get everything out the door and launched.

MMaRsu said:
This. The 360 had it, ps3 had the capabilities... why the f not on ps4?
I'm pretty sure not one bit of compiled code carried over from PS3. Cell vs x86. They essentially did start from scratch.

Not to excuse it but I can understand a little, why the f not.

slapnuts

Sony, I am grateful for any updates big or small, stability or major. There are some of us that believe in any improvements are better than no improvements :D

ReBurn

Gold Member
Being disappointed that basic features are still not there 4 months after launch is hardly super-entitled. Sony has dropped that ball on the OS plain and simple. Outside general speed I can not think of 1 redeeming quality of the PS4 OS. It is 3 steps back from the below average PS3 OS . I am glad people are finally holding Sony accountable. At this point people putting pressure on them might be the only way to get them moving.

Look on the bright side. At least there's not much Sony can take away.

I'm still waiting on Tomb Raider and Strider until suspend/resume is added in. With the amount of game time I have now, I'd spend more time starting up a game than I would playing it.

dubq

Dat stable.

horsemen2.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Checked the Strider demo and the AF is still broken, don't think the full game is any different to the demo since you can unlock the trial into the full game.

And I just replied to what TheLegendOfMart meant not too long ago. It may have DVD, Blu-ray playback, etc., but Sony clearly designed the PS4 with gaming in mind. That's what the difference is.

What the heck does that even mean? People act like the people who make the games are the same people who work on the OS. Gaming experience wont be any worse if they have extra features that aren't gaming focused. Also the UI is a cluttered mess as far as gaming goes. God help us when we start having 20+ games in our library if they keep it the same way that it is now.

This is the real head scratcher.

It really is. Surely it can't be that hard to add it back in?

Its weird I downloaded like 11 things last night and I could set which ones I want active first so some sorta pausing is in place by que position so you think it shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Which makes the lack of a fix even more puzzling. I really do hate the current set up. Forcing people to download three/four items at once is just insane and a massive bandwidth hog.

What the heck does that even mean? People act like the people who make the games are the same people who work on the OS. Gaming experience wont be any worse if they have extra features that aren't gaming focused. Also the UI is a cluttered mess as far as gaming goes. God help us when we start having 20+ games in our library if they keep it the same way that it is now.

20+? It's already bad.

With a Bluray disc inserted, the current PS+ titles (Resogun, Contrast, etc.) and my 2 PS4 games, it's a fucking nightmare to navigate a single bar.

With so many people having PS+, that issue is only going to become more obvious as the days go on.

Call it what you want. Fact is, MS have been quite good about adding features to the XB1 since it launched. For every single person who already bought an Xbox before these updates rolled out, these updates represent a clear value add. They decided they were willing to pay $500 for the system as is, so when updates that significantly improve the OS come out, these improvements understandably make people excited.

I think "excited" is a bit hyperbolic. As an owner of 2 Xbones (and 2 PS4s) I'd say I'm pleased, not excited. The PS4 is missing features that are baffling considering the PS3 has had them for years, but the UI simplicity/speed/functionality was/is light years better than the Xbone's horrible metro system. So, while its nice MS is adding features that should have been there at launch (and Sony is guilty of this as well while not doing as much yet to fix things), the UI is still a hot mess compared to PS4.

Its funny. A console is a closed system. The hardware is all the same yet somehow an update can break some consoles. It doesn't make any sense. You have one hardware to update for not millions of different PC configs.

Cheech

20+? It's already bad.

With a Bluray disc inserted, the current PS+ titles (Resogun, Contrast, etc.) and my 2 PS4 games, it's a fucking nightmare to navigate a single bar.

With so many people having PS+, that issue is only going to become more obvious as the days go on.

Don't you ever just nuke games you're not playing? The only games I've kept installed since Day 1 are BF4, Resogun, FIFA, and Madden.

It keeps your saves, so if I ever want to tear through Contrast (LOL) again, I'll just re-download it.

Good housekeeping brah. It also keeps me from having to lay out a hundie on a hard drive upgrade.

*checks in on the thread*
Still mostly complaining.
*leaves thread*

You must not talk to very many people over the course of the day!

Invictus

Banned
This was odd. Updated last night, watched a little Netflix then stuck it in standbye mode. An hour later it turns itself on and starts trying to eject disc for 5 mins straight before I just unplugged it. Afraid to turn it back on now.

Vague changelogs are one of my biggest irritations. Is it so hard to give a specific fucking list of exactly what you did? I'm not asking for source code diffs, just tell me what the hell you guys fixed!

The firmware team is in a bunker in Japan. That's all you need to know.

Top Bottom