• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Game License Error After HDD Upgrade

ElNino

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but the search isn't working for me and my Google searches have not (permanently) fixed my issue.

I have upgraded the HDD on my PS4 several times previously (original PS4 and when I upgraded to PS4 Pro), and didn't have any issues before but now I'm getting an error playing digital games on my Pro after swapping the HDD from 1TB to 2TB.

Before swpping the HDD I did a system backup to an external HDD and backed up our Trophies. I then swapped the HDD and initialized the PS4 using the 5.0 firmware. I launched the OS and restored my backup from the external drive with no issues. After the restore, I signed back into my PSN account (and my son's accounts) and there didn't appear to be any issues. All of my games appeared as they were previously.

However, I've now found that anytime I try to launch one of my digitally purchased games I get the error message:
ps4-cant-connect-error.PNG

I've checked in my settings the console is activated as my Primary PS4. Now, there is an option to Restore License, which I have done now several times and it will run and sync my licenses successfully. At this point my games work fine... until I shut down the PS4 and turn it back on again later. Even if I'm in the lower power sleep mode, when I power the console back up I can no longer play my digital games until I restore the licenses again.

Obviously this is an annoying situation, and I don't want to explain to my kids (or wife) how to do this every time either. Is there any known reason why my licenses are not sticking around? I've never game shared with another system (other than my old PS4 which was wiped when I traded it in).

You have to go into the system settings and click "restore licenses." I don't remember exactly which sub-menu it was in, though (maybe the PSN account one?)

NewDust

You have to go into the system settings and click "restore licenses." I don't remember exactly which sub-menu it was in, though (maybe the PSN account one?)

Refresh your licenses. (Doing this from memory, so...)
Settings -> PSN -> Restore Licenses

Reading... It's a thing you know.

What's the HDD you put in the PS4 now? On boot does it flash a short "restoring database" message?

Kilau

Gold Member
Very strange, maybe rebuild the database or try to delete a small game and redownload it and see if the same error occurs.

Tumle

I had the same problem after upgrading to a Playstation pro..
what helped me, was first making it my secondary and then switching it back to primary:) hope it helps you too:)

ElNino

Reading... It's a thing you know.

What's the HDD you put in the PS4 now? On boot does it flash a short "restoring database" message?
I have a Seagate Firecuda 2tb drive in now (was formerly a 1tb), but it doesn't display any message that I can see on boot.

Very strange, maybe rebuild the database or try to delete a small game and redownload it and see if the same error occurs.
I haven't tried to rebuild the database, but I'll give that a shot. I've downloaded games I bought during the PSVR sale this week after I swapped the HDD, and even they don't work.

It's because of this.

New PS4 DRM

Can you login online using the account of the owner of the games?
I don't think that's the case as I am the owner of all of the games and I'm signed into PSN the entire time.

I had the same problem after upgrading to a Playstation pro..
what helped me, was first making it my secondary and then switching it back to primary:) hope it helps you too:)
I had thought about trying that next, but I wasn't sure if deactivating the PS4 would prevent me from immediately activating it again. If it worked for you then I'll give it a shot.

Tumle

I have a Seagate Firecuda 2tb drive in now (was formerly a 1tb), but it doesn't display any message that I can see on boot.

I haven't tried to rebuild the database, but I'll give that a shot. I've downloaded games I bought during the PSVR sale this week after I swapped the HDD, and even they don't work.

I don't think that's the case as I am the owner of all of the games and I'm signed into PSN the entire time.

I had thought about trying that next, but I wasn't sure if deactivating the PS4 would prevent me from immediately activating it again. If it worked for you then I'll give it a shot.
I was afraid of that too, but had no problem activating it again afterwards:)

Begaria

I've got the exact same problem.

My PS4 stock HDD was dying on me - couldn't even boot the PS4 up as it got stuck at Checking Storage and crashing. Swapped out to a new internal harddrive, fixed everything, got it auto-signing me into PSN and it's the same PS4 with it activated as the Primary PS4 and I have to Restore Licenses every time from a cold boot or rest mode.

I should try deactivating it as primary and reactivating as primary or rebuilding databases. I haven't tried that.

I mean, Restoring Licenses works every time and I can access my apps/games immediately afterwards, but having to do that every time I boot up my PS4 will get annoying fast.

Tumle

My PS4 stock HDD was dying on me - couldn't even boot the PS4 up as it got stuck at Checking Storage and crashing. Swapped out to a new internal harddrive, fixed everything, got it auto-signing me into PSN and it's the same PS4 with it activated as the Primary PS4 and I have to Restore Licenses every time from a cold boot or rest mode.

I should try deactivating it as primary and reactivating as primary or rebuilding databases. I haven't tried that.

I mean, Restoring Licenses works every time and I can access my apps/games immediately afterwards, but having to do that every time I boot up my PS4 will get annoying fast.
Yea that’s why I took the chance on doing the account switching thing, that thankfully worked for me:)

ElNino

I was afraid of that too, but had no problem activating it again afterwards:)
It worked! Thanks for the suggestion, so far everything seems to be good even after rebooting.

Yep, exact same problem I had. Deactivating and Activating again fixed it for me.

Tumle

It worked! Thanks for the suggestion, so far everything seems to be good even after rebooting.

Yep, exact same problem I had. Deactivating and Activating again fixed it for me.
You are welcome, just glad I could help :)

Top Bottom