• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

WarpathDC

Nice thread OP. If I can add that my PS4 locked up yesterday and with the absence of the flip switch in the back it is tempting PTO unplug to reboot. That is likely the genesis of other bricks like the twitch guy.

Hold THE POWER BUTTON UNTIL YOU HEAR A BEEP and it will reboot in safe mode preventing a brick.

Nibiru

Banned
I've got an update on this today. Amazon replied, they can do a refund, but not a replacement (since they don't have any in stock), or they can offer me a 10% ($40) credit and let me keep it. The PS4 works fine, so I'm tempted to take the credit, but I know that crack is going to bug me...

How about you take the credit then get the ps3 ext warranty that covers accidental damage then in a few months claim the cracked corner. It should be covered.

Am I crazy, but shouldn't the only troubleshooting that is done be returning the console for a working one, or for a refund?

No one should tolerate day one issues like this.

goonergaz

Iv imported from the US, Amazon.com, expect to see it in the UK on Tue 19th Nov

Also have another PRE-Order for a killzone megabundle on the 29Th Nov at GAME UK

Im kind of lucky that I have 2 consoles at launch to ensure I have a working one. (If both work, I will be selling one to a guy in work for cost price, non profit)

I am concerned though that it will be DOA, the amazon one atleast... I have 3 queries though

#1 Is there a chance the Euro PS4 (altho same design etc) Will be a better build quality as its a later batch

and

#2 If my Amazon.com Console is DOA, I presume I dont need to send it back to the US? (unless its for a full refund) - I can just send to Sony for repair?

ORRRR would I be able to swap my Amazon 1 into the GAME shop box and have them refund, at no difference to them?

1) likely same factory/timing
2/3) you will probably have to send back if faulty...these things have serial numbers and Sony uk won't be interested

erawsd

So, I got up this morning and decided to give it another shot, I had stuck it in the box last night so that I can ship it back to Amazon.

However, I plugged it in and it actually came to life! Unfortunately, that didn't last long. I didn't even make it into a game before it started to flicker like crazy, lost signal, and turned itself off.

kendrid

Banned
So I set my PS4 up last night and played about an hour of Killzone. I had to get up early this morning and went to eject the disc. Well I couldn't find the eject button, so I just assumed I was an idiot and checked the manual. I touched where it said to and still nothing.

That's when I noticed this:

6gaIY9h.png

It looks like they forgot to give me an eject button. It couldn't have broken off. I've only had it in my living room and searched the carpet and the stand I have it on as well as the box. On top of that like any new console, I was babying it, and it wasn't dropped or anything. There also doesn't seem to be any broken plastic around where the button should be.

If you didn't find it yet, there is an option in the UI to eject he disc.

So I set my PS4 up last night and played about an hour of Killzone. I had to get up early this morning and went to eject the disc. Well I couldn't find the eject button, so I just assumed I was an idiot and checked the manual. I touched where it said to and still nothing.

6gaIY9h.png

It looks like they forgot to give me an eject button. It couldn't have broken off. I've only had it in my living room and searched the carpet and the stand I have it on as well as the box. On top of that like any new console, I was babying it, and it wasn't dropped or anything. There also doesn't seem to be any broken plastic around where the button should be.

i7vaddsnxlunn8js2l.gif

params7

Banned
anybody here has any audio device connected to ps4's optical out? If so can you confirm if you select the optical out option in audio settings, the ps4 disables audio through HDMI?

I'm having an issue where its outputting audio to both HDMI and Optical out no matter what audio option I select. Other people seem to be having it too:

http://community.us.playstation.com...h-HDMI-and-Optical-out/m-p/42148983#U42148983

Just want to make sure if it actually is working fine for others, or if this is a firmware issue.

panty

So, I got up this morning and decided to give it another shot, I had stuck it in the box last night so that I can ship it back to Amazon.

However, I plugged it in and it actually came to life! Unfortunately, that didn't last long. I didn't even make it into a game before it started to flicker like crazy, lost signal, and turned itself off.

I assume you've tried a different HDMI cable?

SuperMod

Neo Member

6gaIY9h.png

You get your eject button with the next update, Yoshida confirms on Twitter...

Kovet

My bf4 campaign wont load its on the second mission and its stuck in the loading screen for 20 minutes, the disc tray is going on and off repeatedly or something and making a high pitch sound, is this defective or a firmware bug or corrupted data?

params7

Banned
My bf4 campaign wont load its on the second mission and its stuck in the loading screen for 20 minutes, the disc tray is going on and off repeatedly or something and making a high pitch sound, is this defective or a firmware bug or corrupted data?

I'd try re-installing it.

WE PC NOW.

So my previously dead ps4 is dead again. I put it in standby mode after using it for about an hour. I then tried to start it up about a half hour later and it would not come out of standby mode. So I unplugged it and tried turning it on and now I am back to the same problem. Also for some time I was getting video by putting light pressure on top of the console. My guess is that its a hardware issue.

Mercutio

My console is working fine, but it seems like I have a dud controller. The one that came with my system triggers the home screen randomly. Faulty button?

WoolyNinja

Is anybody else having the fans spinning at full speed when playing games? It's unfortunately loud. It's in an open faced entertainment center so it should be ok but my next move is to put it on top of the entertainment center to see if its an airflow issue.

Anyone else having this issue?

In my game library, it shows all my games but once I click on one there is no infor or picture for the game I clicked on. I also cant seem to install some games.

Mr. Helios

Neo Member
How do I know if my console has overheating issues? I only have Killzone to go by, and it gets quite hot during gameplay. Do others have this issue with Killzone?

Skeff

My console is working fine, but it seems like I have a dud controller. The one that came with my system triggers the home screen randomly. Faulty button?

Some people are reporting this is happening because it is losing PSN connection and sending you back to UI, If your playing single player, perhaps try turning your internet connection off and see if it continues?

Two questions/comments from me:

So aside from the PSN connectivity issues most people have been experiencing, and the wonky UI issues, my PS4 appears like it might be in relatively good shape. Well...maybe. Anyone here confirm if their units get loud as a fuckin' jet engine? Seemingly as if it may overheat, but never does? I haven't gotten the red line of death or anything, but the extremely loud fan is pretty difficult to tolerate.

Also...standby mode. Maybe I'm confused on this one but is the system still technically running in this mode? I put my ear next to my system this morning and it looks like the thing is still on (I can hear the fans a bit and the HDD).

The problem with stuff like this is that there are probably 100s of thousands of people playing without an issue, the people that do end up having problems seek out help on the forums making the problem seem more widespread than it really is.

I think Gaf is the perfect forum for a head count on working/problem polls. Most people going there to the Playstation forum are doing it for troubleshooting. A gaf poll could give us a good like at what the wild ps4 populous is like. Personally, I got my PS4, I set it up (firmware was quick and painless) and then turned it on and off at least 30 times and everything was fine. I haven't played any games yet cause I have exams to study for. Should I still be worried?

inter

I think Gaf is the perfect forum for a head count on working/problem polls. Most people going there to the Playstation forum are doing it for troubleshooting. A gaf poll could give us a good like at what the wild ps4 populous is like. Personally, I got my PS4, I set it up (firmware was quick and painless) and then turned it on and off at least 30 times and everything was fine. I haven't played any games yet cause I have exams to study for. Should I still be worried?

Really hard to say. I had issues yesterday within 5 minutes of first boot, but was able to play Killzone for an hour this morning without issue before it started to give me problems again.

Razdek

Banned
Nice thread OP. If I can add that my PS4 locked up yesterday and with the absence of the flip switch in the back it is tempting PTO unplug to reboot. That is likely the genesis of other bricks like the twitch guy.

Hold THE POWER BUTTON UNTIL YOU HEAR A BEEP and it will reboot in safe mode preventing a brick.

That's good advice but when my frooze and I held it down for minutes it didn't beep so I had to pull the plug. The OS is buggy.

K' Dash

I would recommend everyone NOT to setup any wireless or ethernet connections until you have updated to 1.5 via USB, God knows that's what I'm going to do on monday when I receive mine.

Didn't have any luck in the AC4 thread but I was wondering if anyone here has experienced an issue where the sound of voices is low while things like gunshots and explosions sound too loud?

It's like the sound isn't balanced. I tried messing with my sound settings but it's not having any effect.

GameSeeker

Two questions/comments from me:

Also...standby mode. Maybe I'm confused on this one but is the system still technically running in this mode? I put my ear next to my system this morning and it looks like the thing is still on (I can hear the fans a bit and the HDD).

When you are in standby mode (orange LED), the system is in one of two power states: A) Deep Sleep - 10W power consumption, you can't hear the hard drive or fan B) Light Sleep - 70W power consumption. You will only be in this state if the system is downloading something while in standby (a patch/update). You will hear the hard drive and fan while it does the download. When the download is finished, it automatically goes into Deep Sleep.

Standby mode has three important features:
1) It will charge a controller that's plugged in
2) It will automatically wake up (Light Sleep) to download any patch/update and then go back to Deep Sleep.
3) Resume from Standby is faster than a cold boot from a Power Off.

Guys I'm going to the PlayStation store in Houston Texas. Hopefully they let me switch out my broken PlayStation for one that works..Wish me luck...

Top Bottom