• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Dankul

Is the fan suppose to be operating while in all standby mode? I've been hearing mixed feedback on this with many saying that it should be completely off when is "deep sleep" mode.

To make sure, I disconnected my PS4 from the internet, unplugged the USB, closed any applications/games, and then placed it on standby overnight. In the morning, I can still hear the fan operating very quietly when I am very close to the system. In addition, although the fan on my PS4 seems to be within normal noise levels, it does make a slight raggedy sound such as you would hear from a loose fan.

Salaadin

Ive seen some state that they had an issue where they lose sound from their PS4 and can only get it back after a reboot. Anyone have this issue and fix it?

CaptPete

Neo Member
This happened to me earlier and I just unplugged out of frustration. Still don't know what caused the lockup. I wasn't playing a game or running any apps.

This has happened to me a few times now too. The only thing that will get the PS4 back is to unplug the power.

It really makes me want to give it the finger when it comes back up and checks the disk and tells me that I shouldn't just unplug it. No shit motherf&!&$er. If you hadn't f&@#$*ing locked up I wouldn't have had to.

dcx4610

Is the fan suppose to be operating while in all standby mode? I've been hearing mixed feedback on this with many saying that it should be completely off when is "deep sleep" mode.

To make sure, I disconnected my PS4 from the internet, unplugged the USB, closed any applications/games, and then placed it on standby overnight. In the morning, I can still hear the fan operating very quietly when I am very close to the system. In addition, although the fan on my PS4 seems to be within normal noise levels, it does make a slight raggedy sound such as you would hear from a loose fan.

I'm busy arguing this at:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=90541115&highlight=#post90541115

The PS3's fan stayed on when remote play was enabled. I see no reason why the PS4 would be any different since it has to keep the APU powered on in a ready state. The fan will be quiet and low RPMs but still on.

Haklong

My DS4 is averaging around 4 to 5 hours before I need to charge it. Is this the normal play/use times you guys are getting also? It's crazy that I have this USB cable attached to my wireless controller more so than not.

PSN?
Are you asking if I think PSN is the culprit or are you asking for my PSN name? lol

At the time of posting, my intention was to point fingers at PSN for our woes. However, since you mentioned it: what's your PSN id? lol the moar friends the merrier!
305.gif

I was having problems with my audio and video flickering out and I finally decided to contact Amazon about getting a replacement console. From what I had read I wasn't too confident that I would get a replacement. I emailed them earlier today and they already set up a new order that's supposed to be here wednesday, I just have to send them my old one now.

After I saw your post, I contacted Amazon as well if a replacement would be possible instead of the refund that's offered when you fill in their return form. Et voila, they set up a replacement order, which shipped within hours. Supposed to be here by Friday. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this one is working.... :)

Mitark

ok now it's time to check the shipment ( 2 PS4 DualShock 4 Bundle from Amazone ) , the second PS4 for my brother , going to wait for him so he can check it by himself

going to open 1 and check if there's any defect or anything wrong with it /nervous

j6hHt7GmDJMXo.JPG

jKj5d1Tf0r5kd.JPG

i will report back

lol i don't know but both of them are fine from the outside

thank you :D

Update!

ok everything went better than expected :D noting wrong with my PS4

jNHPwrdmj9iaM.JPG

then updated to 1.50 through USB , i was nervous as fuck here lol

jVHjWVwbl70QC.JPG

i played some Resogun /gorgeous game cant wait to try Killzone

Just to report here

everything is good :D

My PS4 from ( DualShock 4 Bundle from Amazone )
Manufactured : Hongfujin Yantai China September 2013
i used my HDMI cable

ok finally my brother checked his PS4 and it's working fine

i was surprised to see his PS4 manufactured in Hongfujin Yantai China - August 2013

instead of September but anyway this is the complete information:

PS4 from ( DualShock 4 Bundle from Amazone )
Manufactured : Hongfujin Yantai China August 2013
didn't use the HDMI Cable provided
updated to 1.50 through USB

i am curious to see if there's any PS4 made in October, but i guess we are going to see them in Europe launch

TheCrow

After I saw your post, I contacted Amazon as well if a replacement would be possible instead of the refund that's offered when you fill in their return form. Et voila, they set up a replacement order, which shipped within hours. Supposed to be here by Friday. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this one is working.... :)

WTF I talked to them about my replacement for the 3rd time and they all made it sound like there is a long line for replacements and that it'll be a while.

WTF I talked to them about my replacement for the 3rd time and they all made it sound like there is a long line for replacements and that it'll be a while.

When did you speak to them? I emailed them around 16 hours ago or so. Maybe they only had limited stock of replacement units!?

Edit: Also not sure if it matters but when did you preorder yours and was it a standalone unit or a bundle? I preordered my launch edition pretty much a few minutes after it went on sale.

EP8

Neo Member
I finally got my PS4 from Amazon today which was shipped Saturday the 16th from Amazon's location in Breinigsville, PA. Console says it was manufactured in Hongfujin Yantai China on September 2013. I am about to set it up on my LG LM8600. Will let you guys know how everything went in a few hours (or minutes). Wish me luck.

*UPDATE*
Have been playing 2k14 for the past 2 hours:

• I used an Amazon Basic HDMI cable I had laying around
  • Everything is snappy
  • The console is very quite
  • No freezing
  • Update downloaded and installed without any problems
  • Having issues with PSN network (attempting to download Resogun)

so far so good.

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
I hate to ask this again, but is the console being warm to the touch (matte side) and blowing out hot air via the back normal? I have the PS4 in an entertainment center that is quite large, the front has a glass piece which I leave open at all times.

I'm paranoid :-/

First time was yesterday at around 4pm cst. It was a launch edition ordered as soon as it went up.

Every time I ask about a replacement they say it can't even be done. I've called a few times so far and even asked to speak to a supervisor. They wouldn't give in to my requests for a replacement. I finally agreed to a refund. But to hear that they've given replacements to others really sucks.

TheCrow

I'm just going to go through sony for my replacement. At least then I'll know something is being done instead of being left completely in the dark by amazon.

Every time I ask about a replacement they say it can't even be done. I've called a few times so far and even asked to speak to a supervisor. They wouldn't give in to my requests for a replacement. I finally agreed to a refund. But to hear that they've given replacements to others really sucks.
It's a mess. I'm really disappointed with how amazon is handling this.

My DS4 is averaging around 4 to 5 hours before I need to charge it. Is this the normal play/use times you guys are getting also? It's crazy that I have this USB cable attached to my wireless controller more so than not.
I haven't timed it or anything, but mine definitely doesn't feel like it's getting 8 hours either.

How did Sony fuck this up? DS3 lasted forever, or so it seemed.

Calibus

Guess I'll add mine to here:

Issue: BLOD

Retailer: Sears

Packaging: About as good as the terrible Amazon pictures people have been posting + external shipping box damage

Shipper: UPS

Manufacture Date: August 2013

Mfg In: Sameplaceaseveryoneelse, China

Coffin on the way. Hope to be up and running by the weekend.

kurbaan

Banned

I'm pretty sure i get a lot more than 5.

Eusis

Had a brief scare. Tried to use Remote Play while out, no signal coming in so I gave up on that, when I came home I turned on the TV and no sound was coming out though the system was running and responsive, went to start up Killzone and that ended up not seeing the controller despite being able to back out with the PS button, and when I went to shut down it just hung. Then I pressed the power button, got the circle there, but it STILL wasn't shutting down so I held down the power button until it shut off. Turned it back on after a little bit, screen went black after the PS logo, went into safe mode, THEN booted up normally.

Going to see if anyone else had similar hppen, hopefully that's just a software bug and not a hardware one.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So sometimes when I connect via remote play, my vita shows the connection struggling, then my ps4 is frozen/limited in what it can do. My theory is that it can't disconnect the vita at this point. If you press the psbutton a couple times it unfreezes it, but again you're limied in what you can do, so if you try to go to power or settings or any of that it freezes again.

On top of this I've tried everything and unless I'm in my house, my vita can never my ps4 through wifi.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I probably get about 5-6 hours. It's atrocious and probably my only problem with the console right now. I bought a charging station just to make it slightly more convenient for me.

Guess I'll add mine to here:

Issue: BLOD

Retailer: Sears

Packaging: About as good as the terrible Amazon pictures people have been posting + external shipping box damage

Shipper: UPS

Manufacture Date: August 2013

Mfg In: Sameplaceaseveryoneelse, China

Coffin on the way. Hope to be up and running by the weekend.

An August Sears console, hmmm.

Most people here with faulty units have been ones made in September

ElRenoRaven

From amazon??

Yup. After dealing with Sony today after still not having gotten my Coffin from Sony I used the online chat with Amazon and the rep made the order for the replacement unit and that was that. Said I'd have it tomorrow and that I'd of course need to send the other back with a packing label they'd link me to.

It was that easy. An hour later it was shipped. I'll have it tomorrow morning. I'll use the box it arrives in to send mine back with the label they gave me. Amazon again has earned my loyalty. Their customer service has always done me right and this time is no different.

bimet

I'm having some weird video issues. Whenever a cutscene is playing, such as the Killzone intro, there's some slight static/noise in the signal. The image is perfectly clean during gameplay. I've tried switching HDMI cables and using a different TV, yet the noise persists. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? Maybe an option I missed in the display settings or TV?

Something similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sB3rULnAWY Except there's no such option that I see for the PS4.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Yup. After dealing with Sony today after still not having gotten my Coffin from Sony I used the online chat with Amazon and the rep made the order for the replacement unit and that was that. Said I'd have it tomorrow and that I'd of course need to send the other back with a packing label they'd link me to.

It was that easy. An hour later it was shipped. I'll have it tomorrow morning. I'll use the box it arrives in to send mine back with the label they gave me. Amazon again has earned my loyalty. Their customer service has always done me right and this time is no different.

Wut. I spoke with amazon Saturday, Sunday and Monday and all they said was it will take 4-5 days for a replacement. Wasn't until Monday i go though to them again and they put in contact with Sony. Oh well i am getting a replacement either way.

From this forum and the sony support forum, there are so many mixed reports. One saying amazon wont get any replacements this month or sony takes 5-7 days to repair. I guess i will have to follow through with the sony rep and hope i get my unit within this week.

Haklong

I haven't timed it or anything, but mine definitely doesn't feel like it's getting 8 hours either.

How did Sony fuck this up? DS3 lasted forever, or so it seemed.

I probably get about 5-6 hours. It's atrocious and probably my only problem with the console right now. I bought a charging station just to make it slightly more convenient for me.

So it's not just me. Some people say they get 8 hours. Is it that ours have bad batteries?

lodoss

Neo Member
From amazon??

Yes from Amazon was trying to post a screenshot of my status like the other poster, but i can't just yet. I'm guessing it's not an official policy yet that's why some are having better luck than others. It's the same with sending it back to Sony directly some people are getting overnight service and some are still being quoted weeks.

MercuryLS

Banned
I noticed that my LG TV recognizes my PS4 (it actually says HDMI2 with PlayStation 4 below it) and Simplink comes up. So I checked the Simplink settings and turned it on (so when I turn on the tv the PS4 should turn on and when I turn on the PS4 the tv should turn on as well). This doesn't happen though. Anyone know why?

Edit: Nevermind it does work! Doesn't turn on my sound bar though :(

1st Problem Encounter

The PS4 had pretty much been flawless until tonight. Now the system is working still but it had a "hiccup" tonight if you want to call it that.

I put it into Standby Mode lil before because I had to clean some stuff up then I would jump back on. About 25-30 minutes later the system just "shut off"... I freaked out a lil bit and when to put it back on and it booted up in Safe Mode. It did its checking thing then rebooted like nothing happened.

Anyone run into this or know anyone this happened too? I'm a lil nervous now and am also contemplating buying the extended 36 month warranty like the post above.

...and yes I'll admit I didnt scan through 50 something pages to to check, just the last page or so... >.<

1st Problem Encounter

The PS4 had pretty much been flawless until tonight. Now the system is working still but it had a "hiccup" tonight if you want to call it that.

I put it into Standby Mode lil before because I had to clean some stuff up then I would jump back on. About 25-30 minutes later the system just "shut off"... I freaked out a lil bit and when to put it back on and it booted up in Safe Mode. It did its checking thing then rebooted like nothing happened.

Anyone run into this or know anyone this happened too? I'm a lil nervous now and am also contemplating buying the extended 36 month warranty like the post above.

...and yes I'll admit I didnt scan through 50 something pages to to check, just the last page or so... >.<

I've had similar problems with going into standby mode. It's happened three times now where it won't fully go into standby mode but instead freezes the console it seems (where I can't shut it off without pulling the power cord out; although I didn't know about the boot to safe mode so I'll try that if it happens again). Twice it's happened from auto-shutoff timer that I have; the third time I put it into standby manually and what I saw was it gets stuck on this circulating loading icon and I;m not sure if it ever really goes into standby mode. The console light pulsates white, and doesn't turn orange.

Edit: Everything else is working flawlessly though, might just be something thats needs to be fixed through firmware.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So sometimes when I connect via remote play, my vita shows the connection struggling, then my ps4 is frozen/limited in what it can do. My theory is that it can't disconnect the vita at this point. If you press the psbutton a couple times it unfreezes it, but again you're limied in what you can do, so if you try to go to power or settings or any of that it freezes again.

On top of this I've tried everything and unless I'm in my house, my vita can never my ps4 through wifi.

Bump... anybody?

jaxpunk

Wut. I spoke with amazon Saturday, Sunday and Monday and all they said was it will take 4-5 days for a replacement. Wasn't until Monday i go though to them again and they put in contact with Sony. Oh well i am getting a replacement either way.

From this forum and the sony support forum, there are so many mixed reports. One saying amazon wont get any replacements this month or sony takes 5-7 days to repair. I guess i will have to follow through with the sony rep and hope i get my unit within this week.

Try harder man, I just got done with a rep and even though my Sony coffin is here I have a PS4 set to deliver on Thursday. I said "I had a friend who got a replacement shipped out just tonight" They told me to hold on a minute, came back and I have one on my account set for delivery on Thursday.

I thought in standby mode, game updates would download automatically? It was only when I turned mine on just now that 2 updates started to download. Yes, I have all the settings turned on everywhere.

Hilti92

When I try and do broadcasts it usually stops and says there's a problem. I forget what it says as I remembered from earlier but it will stream for about 1-2 minutes then a screen pops up saying that broadcast stopped. Anyone else experience this? What's the fix?!

BBLOD, Blinking Blue light of death.

What can I do besides trying to get it in Safe Mode by holding power on? Or is that the only test.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p7yaz8DsOYw

Anyone else having this issue? Keeps making that read write sound. Ps4 has been used for maybe 2 hours. There's nothing on the install list. Kill zone disc was in earlier, removed but disc noise continues.
Anyone had a similar occurrence? Worried mine is defective....
Thanks to all who read!

So my PS4 had been performing just fine since I got it on Friday. Now I'm playing a game and the screen freezes but the sound keeps playing. Then about a minute later the sound cuts out. I try to access the UI with no luck, so then, assuming that it's still a similar process to the PS3, I attempt to hold the power button for 10 seconds to reset it.

Nothing.

Try again.

Nothing.

Seemingly my only option is to unplug the power, but I recall that being considered a last, LAST option, as it can cause various issues.

Anyone experience something similar and or have advice on what to do?

Edit: Nevermind. I tried it again, and after holding the power button for about 15 seconds it reset, went to safe mode, and is now seemingly working fine.

prophecy0

Dang I didn't realize Amazon was sending overnight replacements. My Sony coffin is on the way but I may just chat with Amazon and see if they will overnight me a new console. My only hesitation is I feel that Sony will definitely provide me a working console.I'm not so sure about Amazon.

Shinjiru

Amazon is sending out my replacement PS4 tomorrow. What should I do to wipe all of my account info from the unit I am sending back. Should I do anything besides deactivating the system?

Top Bottom