• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Grinchy

Banned
Pardon my ignorance but every time I try to watch video clips my friends made I get an error. Does video sharing not work at all???

It works fine for me. I can watch videos my friends upload.

Maybe they have their uploads set so that only facebook friends can see them? I don't know if that would give you an error but I know that mine was on that setting by default. I had to change it so people could see screens and videos in the What's New section.

It works fine for me. I can watch videos my friends upload.

Maybe they have their uploads set so that only facebook friends can see them? I don't know if that would give you an error but I know that mine was on that setting by default. I had to change it so people could see screens and videos in the What's New section.

I'm not sure but I have never been able to play any videos any of my friends post, and I've tried numerous times from many different friends. Seems busted for me

DrkSage

Ok so I've been getting this weird annoying little problem since the 1.60 update. Every time I go to connect my pulse headset, I connect the wireless adapter and I turn on the pulse headset and when I do my ps4 litteraly shuts down my Internet for a couple of minutes. At first I thought it was just my router, but after the 5th time of connecting my headset after being charged or turned on again i realized it was the headset+wireless adapter every time I turn it on. Is anyone else having this problem?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
So, I usually turn my PS4 off, instead of leaving it in standby, but I charged my headset and my controller over the past couple of days and left it in standby to do so. Around the same time, I noticed my internet got a bit sluggish, and would drop out intermittently. I did some speed tests to confirm my observations - my download was half of what it should have been and my upload was essentially non-existent.

After trying some analysis and fixing of my own and then calling my ISP to complain and trying out their solutions to no avail, I realized that perhaps the PS4 was doing something in the background. I turned it off, and of course everything went back to normal. Has anybody else had their download cut in half and upload bandwidth entirely consumed by the PS4 in standby?

Grinchy

Banned
Has anybody else had their download cut in half and upload bandwidth entirely consumed by the PS4 in standby?

It sounds like this would be a very odd thing to have happening, but I am intrigued. This PC is on wireless, so on it, I typically only get 22-24mb of my 30mb connection. Earlier I was getting 8mb. I turned my PS4 off, and as crazy as it seems, the next test showed 16mb.

I mean there are so many factors that could be playing into this, so don't take this as any kind of actual proof, but I'm going to check this out some more in the next few days.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
It sounds like this would be a very odd thing to have happening, but I am intrigued. This PC is on wireless, so on it, I typically only get 22-24mb of my 30mb connection. Earlier I was getting 8mb. I turned my PS4 off, and as crazy as it seems, the next test showed 16mb.

I mean there are so many factors that could be playing into this, so don't take this as any kind of actual proof, but I'm going to check this out some more in the next few days.

Cool - thanks for trying this out. I tried the test again while my PS4 was actually on and idling in a game. Download was reduced by 75% this time, but upload only fell about 20%.

Liljagare

Gold Member
And there mine started auto ejecting discs.. :\

Turning it on its side and the rest of the "fixes" don't fix it.

Hope there are replacements available here.. :p

Scoot2005

Banned
Don't know if this is the right place to put this tidbit but oh well.

For anyone that has the P11 Turtle Beach headset you may(or may not) have noticed the sound is really faint much of the time. Well, I just think I found a way to get around that. If anyone plays around with them they realize the chat volume controls all the volume and the game volume does nothing. I just unplugged my headphones from the T.V. jack and plugged it into the controller and then back to the T.V. jack. Now the game volume controls the volume for everything and these things can get loud as hell.

Just wanted to leave this here in case it helps anyone. Back to my movie.

Edit - Tried it again and it works. Yay!

Liljagare

Gold Member
Managed to fix my issue, atleast for now, with the, put the ps4 on its side, unplug power, touch the power button until it stops beeping (must be some pretty nice capacitors in it, it almost powers on).

After this, plugged power back in, and voila, it works again, atleast for now.. :p

Grinchy

Banned
Managed to fix my issue, atleast for now, with the, put the ps4 on its side, unplug power, touch the power button until it stops beeping (must be some pretty nice capacitors in it, it almost powers on).

After this, plugged power back in, and voila, it works again, atleast for now.. :p

It's a strange issue because most people agree that unplugging the system for a while "solves" the issue....until it happens again.

I hope yours is actually fixed but I went through the exact same thing. It would spit out a disc and beep at me like a New Yorker in traffic and I'd do what the internet said would fix it. Then it would happen again and I'd try another one of the internet's tips. Then it would happen again and it was time to send it in.

owlbeak

Has the shutting down issue been resolved yet? It started happening to me tonight. I was playing Don't Starve, it bleeped and shut down. I tried again and it did exactly the same. I rebuilt the database and reinstalled the system update to see if that would help but it shut down yet again. It then got into a cycle of shutting down and rebooting back to the safe mode, where it asked me to turn on the Dualshock 4. No matter which option I picked it just kept repeating the cycle. In the end I had to unplug the power supply to stop the cycle. When I started up once again, it gave me the message that it had shutdown incorrectly and automatically updated the firmware. I played for a while without a problem but I'm now worried that at any time it could just shut down again.
Just got shipped a coffin due to this issue. Sony said they'll overnight me a new PS4 as soon as they receive mine. Just started turning off randomly while doing stuff or while it was in standby. Looped safe mode until I unplugged the machine for a few minutes. :\

Owzers

Are the dualshock face buttons supposed to be a little clicky? They make a little clicky noise and they don't feel squishy like ps3's controller.

Tonight my PS4 appears to be freezing after pressing the controller's PS button. Though I'm not sure it is frozen, it's like at least part of the controller (face buttons, joypad) is unresponsive but the PS button and Options button seem to work sometimes. Happened four times now -- anyone else see this?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's starting to look like downloading things on the PS4 is causing some kind of issue with my router. As often as not, my downloads will fail and the PS4 will lose its internet connection. This will also cause my PC to be unable to access most websites, though some (e.g., google), will still load. Resetting the router fixes the problem. The router is a Belkin F5D7231-4.

I feel like the Warhawk beta on PS3 caused similar problems (that resolved on their own), but I can't remember for sure if it was the same router.

Anyway, does anyone network savvy have an idea of what might be going wrong here?

Tonight my PS4 appears to be freezing after pressing the controller's PS button. Though I'm not sure it is frozen, it's like at least part of the controller (face buttons, joypad) is unresponsive but the PS button and Options button seem to work sometimes. Happened four times now -- anyone else see this?

Looks to be a controller problem. Shortly after boot of the PS4 it stops working with the exception of the PS and Options buttons. I can use a paper clip to reset the controller via the reset button near L2, but it only works for a few seconds before dying again. Anyone else see this? Worked great for months, now essentially useless. I really don't want to buy another DS4. =/

madp0k

Strange one today,

War Frame had mysteriously deleted itself for the second time (the first time I thought it was my fault and deleted it instead on closing app, but now Im not so sure).

So I put this and strider to download last night, now d/l speed is around a meg so I knew this would an all night and all dayer but checked this morning and I couldn't turn my ps4 on from stand by by the controller or the power button.

So turned off at the wall and back and it went though the checks, the two games had hardly downloaded any at all, so I just cancelled Warframe and left strider to download through the day.

Anyone else had this?

kek_lel

My ps4 emits some kind of weird high frequency noise.
I thought this might be the disc drive but the noise also occurs when there is no disc inserted and I have a digital game booted up such as the lego marvel demo.
If I don't use headphones or turn up the volume it really annoys me.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing ? I had the same problem with a wii u that i got replaced.

What could possibly emit a high frequency noise ?

Oh well I may have sony send me a replacement.

Grinchy

Banned
My ps4 emits some kind of weird high frequency noise.
I thought this might be the disc drive but the noise also occurs when there is no disc inserted and I have a digital game booted up such as the lego marvel demo.
If I don't use headphones or turn up the volume it really annoys me.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing ? I had the same problem with a wii u that i got replaced.

What could possibly emit a high frequency noise ?

Oh well I may have sony send me a replacement.
I think power supplies can have coil whine. i don't know if that helps any especially since ps4 has a much different power supply than pcs though.

Has anyone had any luck with Sony replacing the DS4 that comes with the PS4? I suspect that is all that is wrong but I'm not interested in dropping $60 for a second controller to prove it and I have no local friends with a PS4 that can loan me theirs.

kek_lel

I think power supplies can have coil whine. i don't know if that helps any especially since ps4 has a much different power supply than pcs though.
The power supply to be the source seems unlikely. There are some reasons. The power draw does not fluctuate much and that sound is way too weird in when it occurs (for example: I start up an app like lovefilm: no noise. Then I press the ps button so i look at the home screen with the app running in background: weird noise starts. Then I close the app: the noise stops immediately.)

Anyway I have contacted sony and requested a replacement.

madp0k

Has anyone had any luck with Sony replacing the DS4 that comes with the PS4? I suspect that is all that is wrong but I'm not interested in dropping $60 for a second controller to prove it and I have no local friends with a PS4 that can loan me theirs.

yes fella, My R2 trigger broke and they exchanged it for a new one.

owlbeak

Ugh.

Got a new system from Sony PS4 support today after sending mine in for randomly shutting off. Plug it in, blue light pulsing, no video or audio output. System won't boot to safe mode, just shuts down. Re-seated the HDD, called support and dealt with some guy listening to loud music and the Olympics and seemed like he was barely listening to me.

Guess I get to wait another two weeks before I get to try a THIRD system.

PS+ save auto uploading only seems to work if I log out the current user before putting the system into standby, surely that's not how it's supposed to work?

raviolico

Hmm. PS4 since Nov... not a single problem till today...installed BF4 and experienced in the first 3 hours two random & quick black screen flashes (with audio dropped out as well). after a sec or so everything worked perfect again.

something to worry about?
is it my PS4 or the glitchiness of BF4 (happened only there so far)?
Anyone with similar issues?

Grinchy

Banned
Ugh.

Got a new system from Sony PS4 support today after sending mine in for randomly shutting off. Plug it in, blue light pulsing, no video or audio output. System won't boot to safe mode, just shuts down. Re-seated the HDD, called support and dealt with some guy listening to loud music and the Olympics and seemed like he was barely listening to me.

Guess I get to wait another two weeks before I get to try a THIRD system.

God, that sucks :(

The only reason I didn't mind waiting a couple weeks for my new PS4 from them was because the one they sent me is the best one I've had yet. Hopefully your next one goes better.

Sulik2

How do you get the center channel working with optical audio out on the PS4?. I found a bunch of threads for the issue but never a fix. My PS4 is hooked via HDMI to my TV and optical to my sound system, which is 5.1. I set primary audio to optical dts and with DTS bitstream. My sound system shows its getting DTS but there is no center channel audio at menus, in games or in blurays. I set the bluray to digital bitstream and it made my rear speakers work but no center channel. Resogun is only playing stereo. How do i get my sound working? My sound system is a pioneer hts-gs1 that I have never had any problems with.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I think my disc drive might be defective.

When I put a disc in, it starts making a huge amount of noise. I then take the disc out, put it in, and repeat until it finally loads the disc but doesn't make that noise.

I've also noticed that the whole console vibrates quite a bit when a disc is inside.

broony

Has anyone had issues with chat using a third party headset. My dad and my friend are both having major issues.

Firstly my dad has some astro a50s. They worked absolutely fine for months. Then about two weeks ago he was having issues with his network and restarted the ps4. Since then he has had no voice chat coming through the headphones. We can hear him, and he can hear game sound, but can't hear incoming chat.

He has tried following Astros advice of reinstalling the firmware and also running the battery completely dry, but he is still having the sane issue.

I also use the a50s and have no problems at all. We both have settings as output via optical using Dolby 5.1, and only chat sent to the headset.

I would say its a defective pair of Astros but as an attempt to fix if he has bought the sony gold headset and is having exactly the same issue.

My friend essentially has exactly the same issue with his triton headset. His was working five , then about three weeks ago, suddenly stopped being able to hear chat through the headset.

Both can switch to the wired earbud that came with the system and have chat work perfectly so it doesn't look like a issue with networking.

I thought it might be an issue with pairing the headset with the logged in user but nothing we have tried has resolved it. Both are considering a hard drive reformat as their next step.

Anyone got any ideas?

had my first ps4 issue after the latest firmware update where it stopped outputting any video through my receiver. power cycling everything did not fix it

hooked up straight to tv and it worked, hooked back up to the receiver and started working again. weird but hasn't happened since so hopefully it was a one off

owlbeak

My PS4 service troubles continue. The replacement system I received that was broken out of the box and sent back for repair was LOST by FedEx.

It ended up at some dude's house in New York who called me and said he received my broken PS4, he called FedEx and they picked it up, but when I called FedEx today to make sure it was either en route back to me or to SCEA's repair facility in Indiana, they said they have no record of it after it left the shipping facility I dropped it off at.

This has been a fucking disaster. No working PS4 since February 2nd. >:[

owlbeak

had my first ps4 issue after the latest firmware update where it stopped outputting any video through my receiver. power cycling everything did not fix it

hooked up straight to tv and it worked, hooked back up to the receiver and started working again. weird but hasn't happened since so hopefully it was a one off
Are you hooked up through optical? Sometimes my system would drop signal through optical to my receiver. You could fix it by changing the audio output setting to HDMI and then back to Optical. Really annoying.

Iorv3th

My PS4 service troubles continue. The replacement system I received that was broken out of the box and sent back for repair was LOST by FedEx.

It ended up at some dude's house in New York who called me and said he received my broken PS4, he called FedEx and they picked it up, but when I called FedEx today to make sure it was either en route back to me or to SCEA's repair facility in Indiana, they said they have no record of it after it left the shipping facility I dropped it off at.

This has been a fucking disaster. No working PS4 since February 2nd. >:[

Should have some sort of insurance on it though right?

danthefan

My PS4 does not download anything while in standby - no system updates, no game updates, nothing. I have ticked the appropriate boxes in settings to tell it to remain connected to the internet while in standby.

Anyone experienced this or know how to make it download while in standby?

I have a launch console. Every now and then large sections of the screen will flash grey/white - doesn't matter if I'm on the home screen, Netflix, or playing a game. It almost seems like an HDMI problem. After I restart my PS4 the problem goes away. Anyone else have similar experiences?

It's kind of like this:
8306r.png

My PS4 just arrived from Amazon Warehouse Deals. I grabbed one while they had Like New models. The thing seems to boot up and pulsates blue, but there's no A/V output. I tried another HDMI, tried safemode. When I hold down power for 10+ seconds it just powers off. Anything else I should try before I get in touch with Amazon and/or Sony?

owlbeak

My PS4 just arrived from Amazon Warehouse Deals. I grabbed one while they had Like New models. The thing seems to boot up and pulsates blue, but there's no A/V output. I tried another HDMI, tried safemode. When I hold down power for 10+ seconds it just powers off. Anything else I should try before I get in touch with Amazon and/or Sony?
Nope. It's toast. Get in touch with Amazon, as their support is much better than Sony's.

I have a launch console. Every now and then large sections of the screen will flash grey/white - doesn't matter if I'm on the home screen, Netflix, or playing a game. It almost seems like an HDMI problem. After I restart my PS4 the problem goes away. Anyone else have similar experiences?

It's kind of like this:
8306r.png

i get stuff like this too but every device is effected PC, PS4, 360. it ranges from random black lines, black flashing, and the artifacting you see here. simply changing the input back and forth on the AV receiver fixes the issue. it seems to be a HDMI handshaking problem. the problem is very rare though so it only happens like once a month.

Nope. It's toast. Get in touch with Amazon, as their support is much better than Sony's.

Yeah that's what I figured. Amazon can only offer a refund. Sony offered a free RMA, but they said it can take as long as a month. Anyone have experience with Sony's RMA process? Does it usually take that long?

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah that's what I figured. Amazon can only offer a refund. Sony offered a free RMA, but they said it can take as long as a month. Anyone have experience with Sony's RMA process? Does it usually take that long?

Mine took about 2 weeks total. I did it on a Saturday and they said they'd overnight a box. I contacted them the following Thursday to see if they had actually shipped a box and was told they don't process anything over the weekend. I still don't know how that explains such a long time for an "overnighted box."

Amazon just sends you a brand new one before you even have to ship your old one in.

owlbeak

I am still having a terrible experience with Sony's RMA process. You can read back through this thread to see my nightmare that I'm still dealing with.

Basically, haven't had a system since February 2nd.

vgamer1

Got a BLOD console from amazon today. Got onto their web chat (at about 11pm). First thing I said.

"I just received my Playstation 4 and it does not work. The blue light pulses constantly and it will not boot up."

Their response was amazing:

"I ordered you a new one with one day shipping. You'll just have to ship back the broken unit."

Boom. That easy. Amazing. New unit will be here on monday.

Are you hooked up through optical? Sometimes my system would drop signal through optical to my receiver. You could fix it by changing the audio output setting to HDMI and then back to Optical. Really annoying.

nope, hdmi right to the receiver, then hdmi from the receiver to the tv

hasn't happened since so hopefully it was a 1 time thing, ps4 has been running like a champ

impact

Banned
My system just turned itself off while playing Infamous and started clicking furiously. I had to unplug it to stop the clicking, now when I try and turn it back on it clicks, I see the blue light for a second then turns back off.

Am I fucked?

pubba

I bought a launch PS4 from Amazon USA and had it shipped to me here in China. It's doing exactly the same thing as yours, but sometimes I can get it to work by unplugging the power cable, and then holding the power button till the system enters safe mode.

After getting into safe mode, I basically restored the system to factory settings and deleted everything. Then it took me about 10 days to download all of my digital games again (China net sucks), and last night the same issue started again: power on, the system sits there with a pulsing blue LED and doesn't output video.

I'm using the bundled HDMI cable, so will try using another one and see if that fixes the issue. I'm super annoyed because my copy of Infamous arrived today.

I tried chatting to Amazon support and they said they can't do anything to help me because it's outside the 'return window'. They gave me a website link to Sony support but I can't get through to a representative and I don't want to spend hundreds on shipping to the USA and back.

poodpick

How loud is the ps4 supposed to get while gaming? Got the system with ground zeroes last week and it's as loud as my fat 80gb ps3. I can hear it even when I have heaphones on

Top Bottom