• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Dunlop

My PS4 has turned off (from standby) 3 times in about a month (at least one was related to a power failure). I have to unplug it from the wall to get it to boot again otherwise I just get beeps when I press the power on or eject button.

Anyone had this issue?

Grinchy

Banned
My PS4 has turned off (from standby) 3 times in about a month (at least one was related to a power failure). I have to unplug it from the wall to get it to boot again otherwise I just get beeps when I press the power on or eject button.

Anyone had this issue?

Yep, I had this issue with my first PS4 from Amazon. Nothing worked. I reformatted it 4+ times, using every possible option from the OS and right from Safe Mode. Nothing fixed it.

My second one from Amazon had the disc eject issue, but my 3rd one from Sony has been perfect.

So last night my PS4 in the middle of a game spits the disc out, and wont accept it back in. It kept making sound like it was trying to eject.

I tried the screw tightening method, but it was already tight as hell.

Any suggestions?

Reule

Try going into your upload notification list and delete every entry. This works for downloads too, I've found. The system seems to get itself confused if the notification list is too full so it starts failing to upload/download while in standby.

I can't guarantee it'll work for you but ever since I started clearing out that list, my uploads and downloads work as intended.
I've been having the same issue. Automatic downloads work just fine for me but none of my saves have uploaded automatically since about May. I don't normally go into Standby but they should upload when I turn the system on, shouldn't they?

In any case, I deleted all my notifications for Download and Upload. Going to see if this works next new save I make.

So my PS4 wont load the PS Store 50% of the time, I have to restart my PS4 to get it to load. It's not my connection and its wired. Is the store just that shitty?

icespide

Banned
I've been having the same issue. Automatic downloads work just fine for me but none of my saves have uploaded automatically since about May. I don't normally go into Standby but they should upload when I turn the system on, shouldn't they?

In any case, I deleted all my notifications for Download and Upload. Going to see if this works next new save I make.

glad it's not just me. maybe its an issue with 1.74 or 1.75

GoStc

So my two DS4's are suffering from the left analog stick issue. Any chance I get Sony to replace them?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read the original purpose of this thread and there is no place for my question here.

tanod

when is my burrito
My Playstation 4 stopped reading discs this week and there's definitely something loose inside of it. Went through chat support today and they're sending a coffin. I've had it since December and no issues up until this week. Pretty disappointed that this happened but hopefully they get it fixed up quickly and sent back.

Also had a DS4 that stopped charging recently. I even tried buying the official charger today which charges through the headphone jack (which I didn't even know was possible) but no go. I have to pay the freight to send the DS4 back unfortunately. The same remote also seems to be developing a very minor version of the same rubber damage on the left stick that's been discussed.

Feel fortunate that it broke under warranty.

Grinchy

Banned

That's the exact issue I was having. My saves weren't uploading and then at a certain point it was even failing to upload screenshots and videos to Facebook and Twitter. After I deleted all the upload notifications, all my uploads went through just fine whether I was doing it manually or leaving the system in standby.

So my PS4 wont load the PS Store 50% of the time, I have to restart my PS4 to get it to load. It's not my connection and its wired. Is the store just that shitty?

yea I got that many times before. I realized that you don;t need to re boot the console, just keep trying the store and hitting the PS button to back out if you don't get in.

as for a fix, it seems like a PSN network issue, Sonys problem.

Don't know if if fit in "hardware", but I noticed how 80% of my games have no thumbnails in the activity feed. Both for little icons, or more big images.

It's very ugly, especially when the game uses a very large one. any idea ?

EDIT: I only get generic "not found" grey thumbnails (a ps controller on a grey background, a dark one for full size thumbnails))

Reule

That's the exact issue I was having. My saves weren't uploading and then at a certain point it was even failing to upload screenshots and videos to Facebook and Twitter. After I deleted all the upload notifications, all my uploads went through just fine whether I was doing it manually or leaving the system in standby.
Not sure if it worked but they uploaded. It only uploaded after I went into Standby mode, not after or before a cold boot. They should upload when you turn the system on or as it's powering down, right? In any case, I guess it works that way.

icespide

Banned
Try going into your upload notification list and delete every entry. This works for downloads too, I've found. The system seems to get itself confused if the notification list is too full so it starts failing to upload/download while in standby.

I can't guarantee it'll work for you but ever since I started clearing out that list, my uploads and downloads work as intended.

this didn't seem to fix my issue =(

Looked through this thread and didn't find an answer to this. Just got my PS4. Its having an hdmi handshake issue. Basically, when I turn on my ps4, it won't send anything to my receiver over hdmi. My receiver has an indicator to tell me if its getting any hdmi signal so I know its not reaching it. But if I wait until the ps4 is full on (white light) and then turn off the receiver and then back on, it works. HDMI signal lights up, ps4 signal on tv, every time consistently.

So... it works, but it requires that extra step every time I turn the ps4 on. Annoying. Anything I can do about it? Oh yeah and also relevant, I actually had my ps3 plugged into the same input on my receiver before. No issues then.

Gonna keep troubleshooting, haven't tried swapping the hdmi cable yet, but I thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

Looked through this thread and didn't find an answer to this. Just got my PS4. Its having an hdmi handshake issue. Basically, when I turn on my ps4, it won't send anything to my receiver over hdmi. My receiver has an indicator to tell me if its getting any hdmi signal so I know its not reaching it. But if I wait until the ps4 is full on (white light) and then turn off the receiver and then back on, it works. HDMI signal lights up, ps4 signal on tv, every time consistently.

So... it works, but it requires that extra step every time I turn the ps4 on. Annoying. Anything I can do about it? Oh yeah and also relevant, I actually had my ps3 plugged into the same input on my receiver before. No issues then.

Gonna keep troubleshooting, haven't tried swapping the hdmi cable yet, but I thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

have you tried turning off HDCP?

HORRORSHØW

Does anyone's PS4 beep like 4 times when putting it in standby? Mine just started doing it a week or so ago it seems...

mine does that occasionally, like when you press the eject button with no disc inside. freaks me the fuck out. the last disc-based game i had in there was infamous, and the ps4 auto ejected it. i haven't put in a disc in since, but that's going to change soon with diablo and destiny on the way.

so, i think i may send it in soon for a replacement. i bought mine at launch. is the warranty one year?

have you tried turning off HDCP?

That didnt work but the dumbest thing did. Just switched to a different input. Works fine now. Swapped it with my PC, and ps4 works fine on it (labeled dvd on my receiver) and my PC works fine on the BD input that the PS4 was having trouble on. The ports don't have any differences as far as I'm aware aside from simple labeling, so I have no idea why it made a difference.

Head is full of what but I can live with it.

Menaged

I tried google, but all I could find was Wi-Fi issues, so I'll try here.

I have the Pulse Elite headset, and it works great on my ps3. I tried it today with my ps4, but the connection kept dropping off. It recognizes the headset, then after a few seconds the blue light is blinking, and I get no sound. Then it connects again, and the cycle continues.

Any ideas?

Hey guys should I be worried that the new HDD I put in the PS4 randomly after a while makes a slight noise? It is very quick noise but sounds like a disc drive seeking/HDD seek.

This is the HDD: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRHTSK4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Now everything works great and no problems, however I know I never heard the original PS4 drive seek/make noise.

I mean I can go 20-40 minutes without hearing and just today 2 hours without hearing it, as I said its random.

However is this a cause for concern? HDD is very vital to the system and I'll rather know now then when the drive is full and it turns out the noise was a sign of things to come.

Thanks.

EDIT: I was thinking of taking it out and maybe see if I didn't secure it properly, will this wipe away all data like the PS3? If so that is bad I spent 2 days downloading everything.

anthym

Neo Member
I've had an issue which does not occur often but it's very noticeable. Every so often in the middle of a game, my screen will flicker like I switched inputs on my TV. I'm still getting sound but the screen goes black. I know this isn't an issue with my TV as this happened on my old LCD tv before I bought my 240hz TV a few months ago. I'm not sure if it's the ps4 or may be an issue with my HDMI cable. The cable i'm using is one I bought from monoprice years ago at the start of the last generation. Anyone else experience this?

golem

Hey guys should I be worried that the new HDD I put in the PS4 randomly after a while makes a slight noise? It is very quick noise but sounds like a disc drive seeking/HDD seek.

This is the HDD: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRHTSK4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Now everything works great and no problems, however I know I never heard the original PS4 drive seek/make noise.

I mean I can go 20-40 minutes without hearing and just today 2 hours without hearing it, as I said its random.

However is this a cause for concern? HDD is very vital to the system and I'll rather know now then when the drive is full and it turns out the noise was a sign of things to come.

Thanks.

EDIT: I was thinking of taking it out and maybe see if I didn't secure it properly, will this wipe away all data like the PS3? If so that is bad I spent 2 days downloading everything.

Some drives are noisier than others.

You can take it out and put it back in without a problem

mintylurb

I've had an issue which does not occur often but it's very noticeable. Every so often in the middle of a game, my screen will flicker like I switched inputs on my TV. I'm still getting sound but the screen goes black. I know this isn't an issue with my TV as this happened on my old LCD tv before I bought my 240hz TV a few months ago. I'm not sure if it's the ps4 or may be an issue with my HDMI cable. The cable i'm using is one I bought from monoprice years ago at the start of the last generation. Anyone else experience this?

I've had instances where my ps4 would not display anything after I turn it on or lose signals.
As least in my case, switching my HDMI cable worked. And coincidentally, bad hdmi cable was from monoprice which I bought a few years.

anthym

Neo Member
I've had instances where my ps4 would not display anything after I turn it on or lose signals.
As least in my case, switching my HDMI cable worked. And coincidentally, bad hdmi cable was from monoprice which I bought a few years.

Thanks for the quick response. I'lll try replacing the cable. Is there really any difference in HDMI cables nowadays?

mintylurb

Thanks for the quick response. I'lll try replacing the cable. Is there really any difference in HDMI cables nowadays?
In theory..there shouldn't be but nkyo hdmi cable I bought in 2007 still works, along with sony hdmi cable I bought a while ago whereas the monoprice one croaked after using it for only a few years. Have you tried using the hdmi cable that came with your ps4?

Some drives are noisier than others.

You can take it out and put it back in without a problem

Thank you so much for the quick response mate, I appreciate it it is great that Sony changed it for the PS4, I can take out the HDD without my downloads and data being wiped like the PS3 did.

I've been pretty happy with the Amazon Basics HDMI cables.

How the heck do I delete notifications? I have a notification that "a friend has joined a party" from July 19th and I can't figure out a way to get rid of it. I also have a trophy notification and another for a friend request that I've already accepted.

The Options button does nothing.

tanod

when is my burrito
My Playstation 4 stopped reading discs this week and there's definitely something loose inside of it. Went through chat support today and they're sending a coffin. I've had it since December and no issues up until this week. Pretty disappointed that this happened but hopefully they get it fixed up quickly and sent back.

Also had a DS4 that stopped charging recently. I even tried buying the official charger today which charges through the headphone jack (which I didn't even know was possible) but no go. I have to pay the freight to send the DS4 back unfortunately. The same remote also seems to be developing a very minor version of the same rubber damage on the left stick that's been discussed.

Feel fortunate that it broke under warranty.

Got "my" PS4 back today. Pretty sure I got a brand new one. Didn't think I would miss it as much as I did since I have tons to play but The Last of Us just came out and I still play a little Resogun now and then.

Other than a minor delivery issue because the return address had 2 cities on it, this was handled pretty much perfectly, IMHO. Didn't have to spend a single second on the phone. All done via chat.

Still waiting for my DS4 to be serviced...

Grinchy

Banned
One thing that's getting annoying is that every now and then, when I turn on my PS4, it will only output in Stereo instead of DTS or Dolby. I have it prioritize DTS.

It's really random and I can't get it to output correctly until I shut it down and turn it back on again.

IISANDERII

So last night my PS4 in the middle of a game spits the disc out, and wont accept it back in. It kept making sound like it was trying to eject.

I tried the screw tightening method, but it was already tight as hell.

Any suggestions?

Got "my" PS4 back today. Pretty sure I got a brand new one. Didn't think I would miss it as much as I did since I have tons to play but The Last of Us just came out and I still play a little Resogun now and then.

Other than a minor delivery issue because the return address had 2 cities on it, this was handled pretty much perfectly, IMHO. Didn't have to spend a single second on the phone. All done via chat.

Still waiting for my DS4 to be serviced...
Almost the same exact thing has happened to me today. Wanted to play a game and it said No Disc Inserted and I look on the floor and there it is. The eject motor is almost constantly going now.

I'll have a chat with them, guess I won't be making the Diablo3 launch...

One thing that's getting annoying is that every now and then, when I turn on my PS4, it will only output in Stereo instead of DTS or Dolby. I have it prioritize DTS.

It's really random and I can't get it to output correctly until I shut it down and turn it back on again.

I still don't have a PS4 but I've noticed with my 360 that the TV and receiver have to be powered on and ready to go before I power on the 360, otherwise the 360 outputs stereo sound.

poodpick

I just got my ps4 back from servicing and now it has scratches on it in multiple places. Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do :(

I kept getting this error.
"Cannot start the PS4
Cannot access system storage
Press the power button for 1 second (until the system beeps) to turn off the PS4
(CE-34335-8)"

I follow some troubleshoot for it like checking the hard drive to see if it was loose and all. I ended up trying to go into safe mode same error. I plugged it in to my pc to see if i could format it and it would not show up in the computer which lead me to believe the hdd was fried.

Anybody get this problem as well?

Contacted amazon first rep said they can replace it in 3 to 5 days, 2nd rep said they couldn't replace it, then she changed her mind and said she could process it now and that it would be deliver by Wednesday.

I'm having this issue. I downloaded the necessary PlayStation file and put that on a USB to initialise it but it still fails.

Enectic

Banned
Gah, I think I'm going to have to get another replacement. Bought a launch PS4 from Amazon and it had the BLOD. Received a replacement from Sony about 2 weeks later and noticed today that the drive is makeing a REALLY loud buzzing noise. I haven't even played many disc based games on it (total of around 5 I think) and am extremely disappointed that I will have had to get 2 replacements in 8 months.

Received my PS4 back today. Serials don't match so It appears they sent me a new/refurbished one rather than trying to fix my drive. Happy to report that after testing it with a few games my drive is much quieter now.

My system had a little problem today. Dont know if it has to do with diablo 3 or new fw. But it restarted in safe mode everytime. Select build database, now its working

K' Dash

So my PS4 decided to eject discs every ten seconds, is there a fix for this?, I'm out of warranty and I really don't want to spend another $500.

Vorheez

Strange thing happened yesterday when I booted up from standby to play Diablo... I heard the disc spinning in the drive, but the OS would not acknowledge that I had the disc inserted. Everytime I would try to boot up the game it would simply say "please insert disc" or something along those lines. I restarted the system and it has been working flawlessly since, which is strange. I was wondering if anybody else has encountered this and if they could tell me whether or not it's harmless or an indication of something more serious? Thanks.

K' Dash

OK, I just applied a cheap "hack", it seems the eject button shouldn't be touching the surface of the table as it is too sensitive and will start ejecting, weird since I got this thing day 1 and I'm having the problem until now.

Anyway, I just put 4 pieces of rubber under the thing so it does not touch the surface and it stopped the ejecting loop, hope this help someone else.

Yoday

So my PS4 decided to eject discs every ten seconds, is there a fix for this?, I'm out of warranty and I really don't want to spend another $500.
This seems literally impossible. The warranty is one year, and the PS4 has not been out that long. You should still be able to have it replaced.

K' Dash

This seems literally impossible. The warranty is one year, and the PS4 has not been out that long. You should still be able to have it replaced.

Yeah, about that, I'm not from US, I'm from Costa Rica, here I got 6 months and that is quite generous warranty here, most retailers give only 1 month, I just fixed it anyway.

Contacted Sony support today. My PS4 turned itself off while playing Diablo 3. It went into safe mode and wouldnt do anything. Download the FW and reinstalled and nothing. Had to rebuild the whole system and now its working.

Then I checked the power plug and was a little out. Plugged it back in. and now no shut offs.

Still Im sending it in for repair just in case. Sad thing is I will be staring at my Ghost edition of Destiny for a while, till the System arrives back since I live in PR and it takes almost a whole month for them to send it back.

How the heck do I delete notifications? I have a notification that "a friend has joined a party" from July 19th and I can't figure out a way to get rid of it. I also have a trophy notification and another for a friend request that I've already accepted.

The Options button does nothing.

Anyone have an answer for this? Or another thread where I can ask?

stitch512

Banned
The hard drive on my PS4 died this morning. It reset itself and came up with an error message saying that it could not load the OS. Bought a new HDD and installed FW 1.75 through safe mode. All is working now.

What I then discovered annoyed me. The system does not auto upload saves to the cloud, so the level 29 Wizard I started last night on D3 is now gone. Also, I actually had no idea that Cloud saves were behind a paywall and every save game for my fiances account has now vanished, she now doesn't want to touch the PS4 now so looks like I will be buying a lot more Xbone games.

Top Bottom