• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This thread is to help new PS4 owners work out potential problems with video output and/or potentially dead consoles and other potential problems before shipping back off for replacement.

Some posters have reported DOA units that do not output video signal; others have been reporting their units begin working after reseating/readjusting the HDMI cable and holding down the power button for 7-10 seconds to reset video output.

If you have an issue, please tell the forum about it and also give us a baseline of information: what firmware? purchased from where? what is your A/V set up like? what resolution do you want to output in? were you able to get any video signal or none at all? can you hear audio?

I think this should centralize issues so we can better help each other.

Please post the following with your post:
  • what firmware?
  • purchased from where?
  • what is your A/V set up like?
  • what resolution do you want to output in?
  • were you able to get any video signal or none at all?
  • can you hear audio?

From John Harker:

If you can't get the PS4 to boot into safe mode (hold down power for 10 sec and wait till you get the double beeps), it's not your HDMI port. it's an internal issue and they request you send it back to them to be fixed.

If your console light turns white (and don't stay at pulsating blue), it can be that HDMI cable or connection issue. Fix with a pin.

If it stays blue and pulsates, try safe mode. From here they can help you troubleshoot if you wanted to call in. If it wont boot to safe mode, gotta send it in.

Venturer got the below:

Guys if your PS4 is faulty phone your local Sony store not the helpline for the ps4 specifically if you want to get it replaced or repaired quicker. Get your local sony store number then use Option 4 - Other enquiries to speak to the store. They can either replace it if they have stock there and then, if not they can take it in for repair.

Information was received while listening to Hi11zone on twitch, I heard him live speaking to his local Denver Sony store over Skype and he was told if your PS4 is faulty you can go to your closest Sony store with a tech department.

(Regardless of where you bought it, as long as you have proof of purchase.)

Edit: He's driving there now, they said they'd replace it.

prophecy0

I was just trying to make a similar thread. This is a good idea.

Kotaku has a good article that covers some PS4 configuration settings:
http://kotaku.com/tips-for-using-the-playstation-4-1465228783

For anyone with a flashing blue light and no signal:
First, make sure your HDMI port isn't faulty like Kotaku's was:
http://kotaku.com/good-news-about-our-once-broken-ps4-1464813671

If your HDMI port seems fine, hold the power button for 7 or so seconds until the system turns off. Make sure your HDMI cable is firmly connected on both sides and turn your PS4 back on. If you PS4 displays a white light, it has succeeded in performing the HDMI handshake and should work fine. The PS4 seems to be really finicky about the HDMI handshake. Others have theorized that it comes with some kind of default output setting that is unfriendly to a lot of HDTVs and/or AV receivers, and it appears that this may be the case.

If it is taking a long time to log in to PSN:
Back out and try again. It should happen fairly quickly when it is going to succeed. Otherwise, it will hang indefinitely.

If you're receiving an error when trying to install DLC for a particular game
Make sure that the base game has completed it's initial install. Otherwise, DLC will error out. I received this error when I tried to install the ACIV DLC prior to putting the game disc in.

PROTIP: Gyroscope typing
Anytime you are inputting text, click the right stick to enable gyroscope typing. It's fairly sensitive but once you get the hang of it it should be faster than using the d-pad or analog stick.

ckeur

My PS4 won't output a signal to the TV. I've tried pressing and holding the power button for a while, but I didn't notice anything different happen.

I'm also curious what's supposed to happen when I plug in the controller. I can't get it to keep the light on. Once the PS4 is 'on' (I presume, at least. The blue stripe is lit up.), even with the controller connected via USB, nothing happens.

Thoughts?

Hey Y2K. Since people aren't so keen on reading OP's, mind putting that "baseline information" examples. Like so:
  • what firmware?
  • purchased from where?
  • what is your A/V set up like?
  • what resolution do you want to output in?
  • were you able to get any video signal or none at all?
  • can you hear audio?

Would be easier for those who like to post based on Title or first few lines of OP.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but simply swapping out a different HDMI cable fixed the issue of a blinking light with no video for me.

vehn

I was at the part of the setup where you enable sharing video watches / trophies with friends or not, I clicked OK and now it is stuck at "please wait". I tried going back but it doesn't work. . . Should I just restart it manuallY?

jayman426

Neo Member
I just got the PS4 it bricked with the update installed while playing Madden. It cut off and was just the blue pulsing light. My brother got this fix for me from from the user comment section on this http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Blue_Light_Problem IGN article. It worked great and I am back playing. I will post it below if it's ok if not I will delete.

1. Hold down power button until the unit powers off and the light goes out. This took about 10 seconds.
2. Enter Safe Mode by holding down the power button until you hear 2 beeps. Release power button after the second beep. The Safe Mode menu will appear with a list of options.
3. Select Option 4 to restore PS4 to factory defaults. Once it's done, the system will restart.
4. In our case, after the reboot, the PS4 automatically entered Safe Mode. This time, they had us select Option 6 to Initialize the PS4. Note that by doing this, you will lose profiles and settings so just be aware that you are basically starting over. Once it's done, the system will restart.
5. When the PS4 comes back up, it will take you through the initial setup again as if it's being booted for the first time.

prophecy0

My PS4 won't output a signal to the TV. I've tried pressing and holding the power button for a while, but I didn't notice anything different happen.

I'm also curious what's supposed to happen when I plug in the controller. I can't get it to keep the light on. Once the PS4 is 'on' (I presume, at least. The blue stripe is lit up.), even with the controller connected via USB, nothing happens.

Thoughts?

Your controller won't sync to the system the first time until the system detects a video source. Try holding the power button down for a while until the console shuts off. Re-seat your HDMI cable on both ends and try powering up again. If your system shows a solid white light it means the video/audio is connected. Try syncing your controller at this time.

You can test the motion control in the Dual Shock 4, as well as the vibration motors, in Playroom. Even if you do not have the camera.

Load up Playroom, and choose the option that says something like "I don't have a camera, show me what Playroom Can do.

It goes through a little interactive demo where you can feel the different speeds of the vibration motors and test the SixAxis/Motions in your controller.

prophecy0

I was at the part of the setup where you enable sharing video watches / trophies with friends or not, I clicked OK and now it is stuck at "please wait". I tried going back but it doesn't work. . . Should I just restart it manuallY?

It's probably your best bet. Be sure you turn the console off by holding the power button rather than unplugging it.

Venturer

Thoughts?

Try cycling through the inputs on your tv a few times to see if it detects the ps4 some tv's are having issues. Also look at your hdmi port to see if there's anything you can see that shouldn't be there.

Posted my problem in the launch thread but I'll also post here. Plugged in the system, went through initial setup then tried to download the update. System crashed. Rebooted in safe mode and then crashed three more times trying to download the update. Tried to update with the USB method, got pretty far into that, but then the red light started flashing and the system shut itself down. Tried to do this multiple times since and keep getting the red lights, followed by a shutdown. Maybe the overheating caused the earlier crashes too? I even moved the system out of my tv stand, thinking it wasn't getting enough ventilation, but the red light still flashes after it's been on a couple minutes.

ckeur

Your controller won't sync to the system the first time until the system detects a video source. Try holding the power button down for a while until the console shuts off. Re-seat your HDMI cable on both ends and try powering up again. If your system shows a solid white light it means the video/audio is connected. Try syncing your controller at this time.

Pressing and holding on the power 'button' (it's just touch sensitive, correct?) does nothing while it's on. I haven't figure out a way to turn it off without unplugging the power cable. The stripe has always been blue on the PS4, never white.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not able to sign into PSN. I had no HDMI or firmware update issues, so this is my first roadblock. Any advice?

prophecy0

I'm not able to sign into PSN. I had no HDMI or firmware update issues, so this is my first roadblock. Any advice?

All I know to suggest is to keep trying. If it doesn't sign you in within 20 seconds or so back out and try again. When it works, it will work quickly.

prophecy0

Pressing and holding on the power 'button' (it's just touch sensitive, correct?) does nothing while it's on. I haven't figure out a way to turn it off without unplugging the power cable. The stripe has always been blue on the PS4, never white.

Correct, the "buttons" are simply touch sensitive strips. Is your power LED pulsing blue, or is it a solid blue? If holding the power button absolutely does not work then all you can really try to do is unplug it, check the HDMI port/cable, and try again. If that fails then I guess you should call Sony :(.

It really sucks that so many people are having issues with their PS4 on day one. I hope Sony can get this sorted out quickly.

I'm getting "PSN undergoing maintenance". Can't login. Boo. Obviously have to wait for it to be up but launch day seems a bad day to take the service down entirely.

ckeur

Correct, the "buttons" are simply touch sensitive strips. Is your power LED pulsing blue, or is it a solid blue? If holding the power button absolutely does not work then all you can really try to do is unplug it, check the HDMI port/cable, and try again. If that fails then I guess you should call Sony :(.

It really sucks that so many people are having issues with their PS4 on day one. I hope Sony can get this sorted out quickly.

Pulsing blue. Yea, I've undone and redone everything multiple times, with different cables. Should I try to return through Amazon, or contact Sony?

jbartee

-firmware 1.0, afaik. Never got the thing to boot

-Purchased from Amazon

-Tried two different TVs and multiple HDMI cables -a samsung LCD and a panasonic plasma. both are 720p.

-no video signal whatsoever. no audio. machine powers on, blue indicator light slowly pulses, but it never boots or at least never displays a picture. Can't get it to enter safe mode.

quoting myself from another thread:

At this point I'm seriously considering opening the system up and trying a repair myself. I'm an electronics engineer so if there's something obvious it could be do-able. Based on other user's reports and my own external inspection I have a strong suspicion that the HDMI connector simply has some cold and/or broken joints on the motherboard.

OTOH, I don't wanna void my warranty and screw myself out of the ability to get a replacement. :/

First I'm gonna run around town and see if I can track down a replacement at BB, Target, SEARS or etc.

jbartee

Pulsing blue. Yea, I've undone and redone everything multiple times, with different cables. Should I try to return through Amazon, or contact Sony?

I already tried amazon. CS rep said they can't do a replacement since they have no stock. Only option was a refund. :(

Firmware 1.5 from Amazon. I can get the system to boot, but after playing for 10 minutes the controller no longer responds. I reset the pin and it will work for about another 10 minutes before becoming unresponsive again. I'm on hold with Sony right now waiting to see what they say.

I already tried amazon. CS rep said they can't do a replacement since they have no stock. Only option was a refund. :(

That is a much better option then getting a refurbished console from Sony. I would wager Amazon will have more stock every few days. Hell, you might be able to get Amazon to give you a slight credit for the bad experience.

• DOA Unit
  • From Amazon
  • Tried on three different TVs (two direct, one through a receiver)
  • Going for 1080p, but any would be nice
  • Never got any signal at all (audio or video)
  • Won't boot into safe mode

Flandy

So what's the best way to prevent any issues? I was told in another thread to not use the bundled HDMI cable and update via USB. Anything else?

Y2Kev

• DOA Unit
  • From Amazon
  • Tried on three different TVs (two direct, one through a receiver)
  • Going for 1080p, but any would be nice
  • Never got any signal at all (audio or video)
  • Won't boot into safe mode

What does your color bar do? Just glow blue? Does it shut itself off?

People who have had a working system but now its showing a plusing blue light, do you have a hdmi splitter hanging around? Maybe its the HDCP handshake thats causing problems for some.

Also according the manual, you should be plugging you HDMI cables before you put in your power lead, dunno why that makes a difference but its worth sharing.

So what's the best way to prevent any issues? I was told in another thread to not use the bundled HDMI cable and update via USB. Anything else?

It is highly unlikely that the HDMI cable it self is causing an issue. I would use the USB method for the simple fact that their servers are getting slammed right now.

Y2Kev

People who have had a working system but now its showing a plusing blue light, do you have a hdmi splitter hanging around? Maybe its the HDCP handshake thats causing problems for some.

Also according the manual, you should be plugging you HDMI cables before you put in your power lead, dunno why that makes a difference but its worth sharing.

Yeah, I made this post in the official thread. I think there are handshake issues happening in addition to DOA units and it's just making the situation a bit murky.

I made the mistake of downloading my killzone pre order dlc before I installed the game. So now I can't find a way to re download it. I even tried the web store and it's not even on my download list. Should I try and contact gamestop?

So how long does the update usb process is in safe mode? Because it's taking longer than I anticipated, is it just copying it and that's why it's taking long?

jbartee

I'm wondering if someone with a functional console can take a nice, well-lit, high resolution picture of their HDMI port? might be useful in troubleshooting this.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Are there specific batch numbers that we know about as well? Maybe something on the serial number that would be helpful to post?

One thing I noticed is that a lot of issues are coming from Amazon customers. I wonder if it has something to do with the way they packaged the systems.

ckeur

The first time I press the power button, it beeps, but nothing happens. I then press it one more time and it goes to pulsing blue.

I'm not sure why I'm really still trying to get this to work. It's almost certainly a problem with the unit. Just gotta figure out what I should do now. =/

inner-G

Banned
The first time I press the power button, it beeps, but nothing happens. I then press it one more time and it goes to pulsing blue.

I'm not sure why I'm really still trying to get this to work. It's almost certainly a problem with the unit. Just gotta figure out what I should do now. =/
Mine did that too, in addition to the fan not working.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Already got mine boxed up so unless something comes up by tomorrow it's going back but I'll share my info for science.

What firmware? Whatever it ships with I didn't download anything.

Purchased from where? Amazon

What is your A/V set up like? Tried on two Sharp TVs both 720p. Tried on a small 1080p Samsung as well but none worked. Also tried a HDMI switcher out of desperation but nope. Just the black screen on everything.

What resolution do you want to output in? Tried 720 and 1080p TVs.

Were you able to get any video signal or none at all? Nothing right out of the box. Never had a video signal.

Can you hear audio? No audio.

Also my color bar was always blue. Never got any other color out of it. It would fade in and out blue.

Top Bottom