• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 in 2010 Claims Sony. Major PS3 Upgrades

Omie

SonySteals.jpg

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
unifin said:
Is this even a credible source?

I'm reading through the article and the strangle blurring between quotes and other article text is disturbing.

Yeah even the quotes aren't quotes.

What's wrong with this quote?

BAD said:
"The PS3 has an awful lot of processing power and we will harness this power with firmware upgrades and new features. He also admitted that the PS3 will become as much a media centre for the home as it is a gaming machine and the introduction of new capabilities such as the ability to download third party operating systems to the PS3 will see several new capabilities added to the system. We have already seen one European Linux application running on the PS3 and over the next few months we know of several others that plan to launch a product for the PS3"

kevm3

I don't particularly care for a "Mediastation 3", but I'm not against it as long as it isn't penalizing the gaming portion. As long as we don't see a drop off in the exclusives and whatnot, I'll pay the price for the premium, but if they start focusing on making the PS3 some closed platform bargain pc over the games, then no PS3 for me.

PS4 in 4 years? No. The PS2 was around longer than that right?

5 years at the minimum imo. This should be the longest gen ever for Sony/MS. I think Nintendo will come out with some kind of upgraded system in 3-4 years

kevm3

There's no way in the world a new playstation will release in 2010. I think it's just more along the lines of letting people know there will be a PS4... The guy seemed to be speaking without really thinking about what he was saying. Sony wanted the PS2 to go on for as long as possible and I really don't see them taking a different philosophy for the PS3 unless it's not really moving units. This should be the longest generation yet, imo. Technology is quickly outpacing development budgets. This generation is expensive enough as is, so its going to be extremely hard for developers to be held to developing to a even higher graphical standard. I'm predicting 5 years minimum, but thinking more along the lines of a 6 to 7 year run for these new systems.

LevelNth

Banned
I'm really liking Sony's commitment to firmware updates. I honestly believe that a PS3 in 2009 will be almost completely different than one now, OS-wise. Hell, look at the PSP in just 18 months, and that's just a handheld.

Bebpo said:
I'll just add that if the PS4 comes out before 2013 anywhere you can ban my account for a month at the time.
Yup, I'm pretty confident about that too. I'll gladly accept a month ban as well. PS4 is a long way off.

Bebpo

Banned
I'll just add that if the PS4 comes out before 2013 anywhere you can ban my account for a month at the time.

Sony will stick with the PS3 as long as it stuck with the PS2. The PS3 is even more future-proof than the PS2. I think 7-8 years seems about right.

kevm3

LordWillin said:
in the future the PS3 could come with a keyboard and mouse

so ps3 is a pc now??? sony is retarted

I don't particularly like the philosophy of turning PS3 into some bargain PC, but if this means keyboard and mouse support in games, at least one good thing will come out of it.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Omie said:

And then they went backwards by not including rumble in the PS3. MGS without rumble! w00t!

And again, were does it say 2010 in the article? A PS4 in 2010? :lol 4 years after launch! I expect the PS3 to be selling strong in 4 years, and developers still not using 100% of the PS3's horsepower. The PS3 is the console that SONY predicted to be out for 10 years, remember? :lol

I loved the part of the article where it says "Sleek and gleaming black, it blends in with the most sophisticated of living-room home-theater systems, which sets it apart from the alien designs of its two main competitors, the Microsoft Xbox 360 and the new Nintendo Wii."

LMAO! The "Alien designs" of the Wii and 360? Last I forgot, the PS3 is HUGE. I look at it and I kind of say "better be a lot of power in that box."

J-Rzez

People are at it again here it seems... This is how everything is apparently going to pan out:

Upcoming releases for PS3:
- Ad-aware PS3v
- Norton System Works
- Photoshop Ultimate
- Maps USA guide
- Quickbooks
- 50 other computer type programs
- DMC4

People are certainly trying their hardest to put down the PS3 at any cost, even to look like tools... the PS3 IS a powerful GAMING MACHINE, and WILL have GREAT GAMES for it... it ALSO is a CAPABLE media center hub, AND can be a powerful Linux box AS WELL... Just because it does that stuff, doesn't mean it's not a gaming console...

Guess what? MS is parading their console as a media hub... And even the frikin' Wii will have a browser...

Sorry, but I'm happy what my PS3 and 360 are capable of doing... Still getting great games with more functionality options from them for other media possibilities... I have my DL content options from the 360 if I cave in to ever purchase anything on live (still haven't, dl'd all free stuff only so far), and I have those same options with my PS3, plus play blu-ray movies and web-browse if my girl is on my comp and I've tired myself out with Resistance...

Guess it's a terrible time for gamers huh? Time to go lock yourselves in your basements with your woody Atari 2600 and it's paddles! The end of the gaming world is upon us!!!

Norse

ps4 will come sooner than later...sony will have to as they will lose too much on hardware with the ps3....the ps4 however will just be a ps3 with faster cell processors...more cells, more memory, and faster graphics chip...100% compatible with ps3 and uses same ps3 tools to create games. They will not lose a dime on hardware and system will be cheaper than current low end ps3.

we go from one extreme (Sony saying PS3 will last 10 years)
to the other extreme (PS4 in 2010)

average them out, and you've got, roughly, BINGO, a normal console lifecycle :)

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Norse said:
ps4 will come sooner than later...sony will have to as they will lose too much on hardware with the ps3....the ps4 however will just be a ps3 with faster cell processors...more cells, more memory, and faster graphics chip...100% compatible with ps3 and uses same ps3 tools to create games. They will not lose a dime on hardware and system will be cheaper than current low end ps3.

So your theory goes like this: to NOT lose money on hardware Sony will add more Cell chips, more memory, a faster GPU and lower the price sooner than later. Brilliant. You should start your own company for our entertainment.

Dahbomb

J-Rzez said:
People are at it again here it seems... This is how everything is apparently going to pan out:

Upcoming releases for PS3:
- Ad-aware PS3v
- Norton System Works
- Photoshop Ultimate
- Maps USA guide
- Quickbooks
- 50 other computer type programs
- DMC4
NIGGA WHA????

DEVIL MAY CRY 4?? WHERE!!!!!!

Deku

Banned
There would be additional hardware required if Sony wants to copy the Wiimote, and it sounds like they will leave it up to 3rd parties to explore at first.

HokieJoe

Whatever the case, I'll be interested in seeing if Sony dumps Nvidia and uses Cell's for everything in the PS4.

X26

Banned
PS4 in 2010 would be retarded, part of the reason I'm fairly optimistic about the PS3 is that I think it will be supported for a long time before the next system, if that wasn't the case my interest would plummet

Sony's Cell processor and its integrated Blu-ray DVD drive are superior to the Xbox 360's PowerPC chip and optional HD-DVD drive.

um...the Cell is PowerPC based. same speed even. And since when was blu-ray superior to HD-DVD? Last I heard it was inferior in every category but storage size.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
what's the point of releasing PS4 in 3 years?

i guess PS4 would be the atual PS3 they wanted to release if that were really the case. PS3 is kind of a stop-gap then huh? :lol

Deku

Banned
Bebpo said:

Sony will stick with the PS3 as long as it stuck with the PS2. The PS3 is even more future-proof than the PS2. I think 7-8 years seems about right.

Sony stuck with the PS2 for so long because it was so dominant and so profitable. Their risks go up when a generational shift occurs as is evidenced with all the problems they are having with PS3.

The FC/NES had a 7-8 year life cycle, it was no indication of what's to come. The competitive landscape determines when they launch.

J-Rzez

Dahbomb said:
NIGGA WHA????

DEVIL MAY CRY 4?? WHERE!!!!!!

Nowhere... lol... just threw that in there as an example that tools are running around saying "PS3 = Computer not gaming machine anymore"... Like there's going to be 90% computer applications and little games since that's what it's going to turn out to be... Then again, it's the usuals who have no intention to buy a PS3, usually throw in cheap jabs where ever they can, but like to cover it up saying "I want Sony to impress me, BUTTTTT"... :lol

ghst

thanks for the laugh
No, PS3 is not a PC. Even a $40 garage-sale PC will have infinately more application than a $600 console, regardless of how much crowbarred 'functionality' it claims to have.

kaching said:
And there the similarities pretty much end.

Thats true. The 360 has 3 of them whereas the PS3 only has one true PowerPC core. Not to mention better bandwidth, L2 cache and 4x the shader pipes to the GPU (8x if you count the fact that they can go in both directions)

You can yell SPE's and floating point all you want, the 360 is a 14 month old machine that still compares very favourably, and that is unheard of in the tech sector. nice try though.

dasein

duk said:
how are ps3 sales again?
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

they're moving forward

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
f_elz said:
some sony guy said in some other article that he thinks ps4 will launch in 2010 or so.

No ****ing chance. PS2-PS3 = 6 years. Theyre investing way more and are losing significantly more per unit of ps3 than ps2. No ****ing way they will replace it by 2010. What a stupid thread title.

maybe Sony believes in the Mayan Calendar - that there will be MASSIVE earth and cosmic changes in the year 2012 and wants to get PS4 out there before the **** hits the fan. :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Drugs for Sale said:
Thats true. The 360 has 3 of them whereas the PS3 only has one true PowerPC core. Not to mention better bandwidth, L2 cache and 4x the shader pipes to the GPU (8x if you count the fact that they can go in both directions)

You can yell SPE's and floating point all you want, the 360 is a 14 month old machine that still compares very favourably, and that is unheard of in the tech sector. nice try though.
Easy, Tiger. No one yelled anything - I don't have the desire to fake intimate knowledge of these processors like I know exactly what they'll be capable of over the next 5-6 yrs. I'll leave the pseudo-technical chest-thumping to you.

I just found it funny that you attempted to "correct" a statement that you didn't think told the whole story with an equally incomplete rendition of the truth.

BigBoss

duk said:
PC with 256mb of memory :lol

You should really work on your trolling.

Pro-tip: before trolling something you should know the facts or you'll like like an idiot, oops, too late.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
duk said:
PC with 256mb of memory :lol

You'd be amazed how much RAM you can work with when your not using a bloated OS

But yeah, hurrr meh win0z ne3ds 2Gigerb1tes of teh ramz

artist

Banned
Slurpy said:
No ****ing chance. PS2-PS3 = 6 years. Theyre investing way more and are losing significantly more per unit of ps3 than ps2. No ****ing way they will replace it by 2010. What a stupid thread title.
You think the competition will offer them a free lunch by not launching their next gen consoles by then? Sony invested a lot of $$$ and thats not their competitor's problem. Where is the Reggie "I dont care" pic? :lol

Makro

Banned
wow and to think someone suggested to me this forum because it's serious.. he said. Man this place seems worse than teamxbox.

BlueTsunami said:
You'd be amazed how much RAM you can work with when your not using a bloated OS

PS3 XMB: 96 MB RAM
360 Guide: 24 MB RAM, Always available

lol.

And if you meant linux, then I would assume that would take ALL of the 256 megs of RAM available to the Cell.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Drugs for Sale said:
PS3 XMB: 96 MB RAM
360 Guide: 24 MB RAM, Always available

lol.

And if you meant linux, then I would assume that would take ALL of the 256 megs of RAM available to the Cell.

its not 96 anymore

LOL

Top Bottom