• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Japan Launch Livestream 2/21 - guest creator appearances confirmed

Dinjooh

Now they are just standing around awkwardly.

GoxHBDZ.jpg

A little off topic , but can anyone here tell me why every other sentence ends in something that sounds like Mas ( masu?) No one I asked so far seems to be able to explain it to me or know what I am talking about. Am I just hearing it wrong?

masu form of speech, it's polite speech

UberTag

I'm pissed too, I bought my PS4 for Japanese games <_>;

Oh well, Wii U, PS3, and 3DS, and Vita deliver so I will save face for now.
Why in the world would you buy a PS4 for Japanese games?
They'll be slim pickings until Japanese devs finally start rolling out titles on a consistent basis in 2016-17.

Darksol

A little off topic , but can anyone here tell me why every other sentence ends in something that sounds like Mas ( masu?) No one I asked so far seems to be able to explain it to me or know what I am talking about. Am I just hearing it wrong?

It's a conjugation thing. In standard Japanese, there's what's known as Masu form. It's a default polite way to conjugate verbs. So you'll hear pretty much every verb like that; and, as Japanese verbs generally come at the end, you'll hear it at the end of sentences more often than not.

Examples -- Taberu (to eat) -- Tabemasu, Nomu (to drink) -- Nomimasu, Kau (to buy) -- Kaimasu. And so on, and so on...

One more shot You guys.. you almost had it

But we've been standing here for an hour

Just one more time... Okay everybody Play... Station..... Fouuuuuur!

rSpooky

It's a conjugation thing. In standard Japanese, there's what's known as Masu form. It's a default polite way to conjugate verbs. So you'll hear pretty much every verb like that; and, as Japanese verbs generally come at the end, you'll hear it at the end of sentences more often than not.

Stuart444

Polite way of ending verbs (and thus sentences) So yeah like the guy said above, polite speech.

Z3M0G

They should have shown a large crowd of people somewhere waiting in line to buy the PS4... with the doors opening...

Top Bottom