• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Japan Launch Livestream 2/21 - guest creator appearances confirmed

Just a reminder.... Internet :p

People need to remember that Internet exist now, not like PS2, PS3 era. And many people just pre-order it online and don't need to go outside their houses to get their items.

true, for all we know the people that bought one instore were people who couldnt order it online as it sold out at places

I-hate-u

Just a reminder.... Internet :p

People need to remember that Internet exist now, not like PS2, PS3 era. And many people just pre-order it online and don't need to go outside their houses to get their items.

It will sell fine, but not PS2 numbers fine. No way.

Famassu

I wonder why this is ?

It's strange seeing Japan this way with console gaming. Man i remember years ago when Japan was KING of all gaming including console gaming...Japan was the pinnacle of gaming but now it seems so dead now, at least with console gaming.
Because PS3 is a shitty piece of hardware. That + many devs going fully multiplatform for the first time = nightmare-ish development for a lot of developers that not only needed to struggle with the horriblessness that is PS3, but also had to do so while having to accomodate developing to another platform as well. It didn't help that stuff like Unreal Engine 3 had horrible documentation & help for Japanese.

Tratorn

Why are some people saying here PS2 sold 900k+ in 2 days? Wasn't it 600k+?

According to Psycho_Mantis PS2 was at 969k after 4 weeks. If this number is correct, It's hard to believe that Sony wouldn't have shipped any PS2s for 3 weeks.

Console launches : 4 Week sales

PS2 : 969k
Wii : 867k (Holiday)
3DS : 746k
WiiU : 627k (Holiday)
Vita : 482k ( 3 weeks during Holiday)
PS3 : 200k (Holiday)

Copenap

Looks like things are gonna be interesting until we get some hard figures. Definitely feel like some people overexagerate because there are some systems left on store shelves, wouldn't be surprised at all if Sony wanted to make sure that enough supply for some huge headlines were ready for Japan so that even without selling every single system the numbers can be great.

Road

Why are some people saying here PS2 sold 900k+ in 2 days? Wasn't it 600k+?

According to Psycho_Mantis PS2 was at 969k after 4 weeks. If this number is correct, It's hard to believe that Sony wouldn't have shipped any PS2s for 3 weeks.

Sony announced 980k sold in three days in a PR.

Sony was counting unfufilled orders. After three days they only had produced 720k PS2.

Only 600k and change were in consumers' hand (the same number estimated by famitsu, media create and dengeki).

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/000306.pdf

Hypereides

Gold Member
S¡mon;101941607 said:
Calling it now, 1 million sold.

That's a pretty bold and overconfident prediction. I doubt it.

With this report.. i wander what to believe now. :S PS4 is doomed or PS4 is not so doomed.

Those reports are anecdotal. Although that doesn't mean the accumulated sales will be good.

I think realistically one retailer sell-out was to be expected, especially during the launch period.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
With an initial shipment of 350k we're looking at 200 - 250k sold for the launch days imo.

That's decent enough being outside of the holidays, and Sony putting ALL effort into western launches, pretty much disregarding Japan altogether in every way with this thing.

coldone

S¡mon;101941607 said:
Calling it now, 1 million sold.

If Sony was a little bit prepared.. they could have done well in Japan. It is too late now.

- Should have launched GT6 on PS4 as a bundled game. Would have easily pushed PS4 ahead of PS2
- Worked with Capcom on Monster Hunter 4 on PS4
- Atleast tried to work with Square to get HD ports of FF-X or FF-7 on PS4

Knack as a bundled game is not enough to move 1M consoles.

PS4 by itself is a great console. Just that there is nothing to play right now. It is just a tech demo toy.

Lacrus

Sony is in for a very rude awakening if they devoted 1 million units to Japan, because that stock is going to be stuck on store shelves for months.

Wouldn't that be a good thing then? Since they could send shipments west for those few months. NA and EU is pretty dry, they thirsty!

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
My brother is saying they are just sat on shelves in supermarkets near him. I hope it's done well but it sounds like interest is very low. No real Japanese games and the ps3 still has great games coming. Fingers crossed tho.

Famassu

If Sony was a little bit prepared.. they could have done well in Japan. It is too late now.

- Should have launched GT6 on PS4 as a bundled game. Would have easily pushed PS4 ahead of PS2
Instead of releasing on a platform with, what, 70-80 million units sold? It's understandable why they saw PS3 as the more desireable option in 2010 or 2011 when development began (they had spent ages with GT5, so might as well take advantage of them knowing the ins and outs of PS3 for one more game instead of putting them to work on PS4 right after GT5).

Monster Hunter is a handheld franchise and Capcom has shown to be unwilling to work on a HD level MH game (Monster Hunter PS3 was announced before PS3's launch, but cancelled later on in favor of the much more successful handheld titles). They'd rather squeeze as much out of the IP as possible, so much like Pokemon games still look worse than PS1 games, the games won't advance past their PS2-level graphics for a while still, not until they absolutely have to (because that would mean more money to development and thus less profits).

Where would this magical FFVII HD remake have come from? That's a super-huge project, neither Sony's Japanese studio(s) nor Square Enix have the resources, atm, to tackle that project.

When will PS4 & Wii U first cross Japanese streams, if ever? I'm picking December (before reverting to a moderate but consistent PS4 lead), but if it's any sooner Sony might as well retreat in disgrace.

Don't know if it has been posted here already, but on gamefront.de they're saying that PS4 is pretty much sold out everywhere online (Amazon, Nojima Online, Edion.com, Joshin and Bic Camera) and that japanese gamers are searching for systems in stores, where they still have some units left.

Huge grain of salt: the site is known for some occasional bad translations and here they don't even give a source for their claims. But I'd like to know if we got a similar story from some other news sites?

http://www.gamefront.de

Neff

lol

Please enlighten us cretins as to how its a step back. Is it the speed of the installs, the background downloads/patches, the performance of the machine, the better online functionality/party chat/streaming or will you respond with 'paywall' or a lack of multimedia features for a gaming console?

Certainly, for what it represents as a debuting piece of gaming hardware, it's not offering the customer significantly new features and experiences the way its forebears did, and like you say, it is removing some boasted by its immediate predecessor. I can see that you're upset, but if you're enjoying the machine, don't let my conclusion cast any doubt.

1 Million in Japan?!

eEg2XhR.jpg

Let's be serious. They didn't sell that much. My prediction is at 200k at the most. I don't think Japan is that Home Console friendly anymore especially if home hitters like MGS, KH and FF aren't on the scene yet. Maybe when MGSGZ comes out, there would be a slight boost in sales.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
No way this is happening, maybe with FFXV

How did I arrive at that figure? For the last 5 to 6 weeks the PS4 has sold around 150k WW a week (which is 550k a month). baring in mind that reports are that Sony can produce 1.2 - 1.4 million a month, that leaves around 650k unaccounted for (taking my lowest figure). I believe these consoles have been allocated for preorder and stock in Japan.

Knack as a bundled game is not enough to move 1M consoles.

PS4 by itself is a great console. Just that there is nothing to play right now. It is just a tech demo toy.
They shouldn't even bother with that. If I was Sony, I'd make a Monster Hunter clone with no shame but strong story focus and it would probably sell a boatload of copies. Capcom if they were successful would just release the next game multi-platform.

Not to mention there's no word on Persona 5/new Tales PS3 to PS4 port to raise hype, no other RPGs mentioned other than FFXV and KH. I mean, did these guys bother to give a shit ffs? Lack of effort on Sony's part seems evident here.

Freki

How did I arrive at that figure? For the last 5 to 6 weeks the PS4 has sold around 150k WW a week (which is 550k a month). baring in mind that reports are that Sony can produce 1.2 - 1.4 million a month, that leaves around 650k unaccounted for (taking my lowest figure). I believe these consoles have been allocated for preorder and stock in Japan.
Did you take reduced production capacity in china during new year celebrations into account?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Let me share the current PS4 situation at my local store.
First, no queue outside at around 10:06AM on Saturday (the store opens at 10AM, MH4 had a queue outside):
There was a short queue inside and 2 people in front of me bought PS4s.

As for the games/hardware situation today, the only things in stock were:
Assassin's Creed
Nobunaga
CoD
NFS
BF4
Dynasty Warriors
Blue, Black DS4

All the other games, accessories and both models of the PS4 were sold out.

Darius

Banned
Don't know if it has been posted here already, but on gamefront.de they're saying that PS4 is pretty much sold out everywhere online (Amazon, Nojima Online, Edion.com, Joshin and Bic Camera) and that japanese gamers are searching for systems in stores, where they still have some units left.

Huge grain of salt: the site is known for some occasional bad translations and here they don't even give a source for their claims. But I'd like to know if we got a similar story from some other news sites?

http://www.gamefront.de

gamefront didn´t update their Media Create numbers on their site since June 2013, the first update since then was this week, likely due to the upcoming PS4 launch...

~~Hasan~~

i was expecting to sell out all of the units they shipped.

sigh. if the PS4 doesn't sell well in japan, then i do not have high hopes in that market anymore for consoles.

maybe it will be the best selling system this generation. but that doesnt mean much if the numbers are not that high.

ethomaz

Banned
Even on the strength of preorders alone, however, PS4 is almost certainly going to be the most successful console launch ever in Japan, matching similar performance in the USA and Europe.
WTF? PS2 did 600k day one and 980k week 1 (two days).

This guy is out of sense if he expect 1 million in two days in Japan.

I hope and want that happened but the chances are close to 0.

Let me share the current PS4 situation at my local store.
First, no queue outside at around 10:06AM on Saturday (the store opens at 10AM, MH4 had a queue outside):

There was a short queue inside and 2 people in front of me bought PS4s.

As for the games/hardware situation today, the only things in stock were:
Assassin's Creed
Nobunaga
CoD
NFS
BF4
Dynasty Warriors
Blue, Black DS4

All the other games, accessories and both models of the PS4 were sold out.
Even with no outside queues seems like it sold good if it is sold out... can you give us how much units your store received? It can be a rounded number or just close too.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can it truly be worse then the PS3 generation when it comes to Japanese games output. I was looking to my PS3 game collection and from the 100 games I own only 20 or so were Japanese made. Come to think of it the output have been pretty terrible thru out the (prolonged) generation. Imo it can't be any worse as the last 8 years.

Can it truly be worse then the PS3 generation when it comes to Japanese games output. I was looking to my PS3 game collection and from the 100 games I own only 20 or so were Japanese made. Come to think of it the output have been pretty terrible thru out the (prolonged) generation. Imo it can't be any worse as the last 8 years.

Japan actually has a rather poor output even in the early years of PS3, but there was one positive point to all that.

Most games were PS3 exclusives, ( exc.360 ports, if any ). There was little cross-generation cannibalisation, between PS2 vs PS3 SKUs.

If I look at the games announced at TGS last year, I think it's not a terrible portfolio of games ( it's bad, but not horrific ) coming to the PS4.

The problem is the underlying concern of how many of said games are going to be cross-gen (PS3/PS4). Already games like EDF and IDOLM@STER are highly niche games that appeal to a very small audience, even those audience will be diluted if any of said games happen to be cross-gen.

Top Bottom