• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Just wondering, how long do you guys play your consoles before shutting them off to let them take a break and how long of a break? I normally stop my ps3\360 after 2-3 hours and let it rest for a hour.

Cdgilbert

Sorry for the delay.

You do not need a camera, it is entirely gyro based and works far better than I would have ever imagined.

Also, Setup complete! There is still a little bit of cable management to do between the two stands, but otherwise, it's all set.
10868874783_5b21afedfe_b.jpg

No kids I take it? Mine would have that ps4, setup like that, destroyed in second. ;)

Yoday

How do you control the volume when you have headphones plugged in the controller?
Good question, I shall investigate.

EDIT: Holding down the PS button gives you a few options. Among those you go to "adjust devices", and that takes you do controller options. Normally you only get an option to adjust the volume of the speaker on the controller, but when you have headphones plugged into the controller you get a second option for controlling the volume of the headphones. Very handy.

Petrie

Banned
You could plug the headphones into the tv and use the bundled mic and plug that into the controller.

That's a pretty poor solution. I'd ideally like to use the mic that's built into my nicer headset.

Guess I'll wait for something more elegant and use the packed-in one for now.

Absolutely loving the UI on the PS4, I never thought I'd say it but it's an improvement over the XMB. Everything is just so fast and smooth! Even the store.

One thing I'm also loving is that we can download multiple files at once:
BZHLn_CIYAA2nza.jpg:large

Man loving the pics so far hitting up on this thread. Awesome setup up there with the Ps1 - PS4 on the shelves. Got to love that PS2 stand.

Cannot wait for the 20th! My first day off work and that is the est. when my PS4 arrives. Greatness waits just a lllliiitttleee bit longer.

Absolutely loving the UI on the PS4, I never thought I'd say it but it's an improvement over the XMB. Everything is just so fast and smooth! Even the store.

Oh wow nice! I wondered if they would add the ability to download multiple files at once. Can you see your download speeds yet?

Greatness Arrives.

Welcome to the new generation.

But keep your Eyes open in this _ _ _ _ _ World.

As the B_ _ _ _ is on the D_ _ _ _ _ _ _ of the H_ _ _ _ _ _.

F_ _ _ are coming.

Reset the clock.

From 2014.

Greatness Awaits.

Damn it, does Kaz pay you to do this or something.

SeanR1221

I'm assuming this is psn related.

I started all my free game downloads and put the system into standby.

I wake up to 99+ notifications of all those games are ready to install and none of them could be installed. They all had half filled bars with x over them.

Shadownet

Banned
you don't have to actually download it to you machine buy you have to add it to your cart and checkout. you can then cancel the download when it begins.
This process will add Resogun to your download list and you can download it in the future as long as your a PS+ member

Thank you SRToZ and Bradach! For the quick answer :)

That's a pretty poor solution. I'd ideally like to use the mic that's built into my nicer headset.

Guess I'll wait for something more elegant and use the packed-in one for now.

Fwiw the bundled mic sounded pretty good on the giant bomb livestream.
You could also look into mixamps but I am not sure if they would be compatible with your specific headset.

Black Hat

Yes, a normal 4-conductor 3.5mm stereo headset works. Sony even sells a playstation-branded one.

Official Vita headphones with the in-line mic works fine. The mic on the Apple Earbuds does not work on the Vita.

Must have something to do with the connector itself?

Sorry for late responses I just got offline.

What's the voice quality like? And the mic itself?

I hate 1 earbud mic's and that's what I'm using. The chat is almost crystal clear with no interferance so you get a strong connection. I bought the Rocketfish $25 SOCOM-like headset from Best Buy and was told by two of my friends I sounded better on the earbud that came with the system.

Can you say more about this please?

I only played one match, Quick Play, Heat vs Spurs and some of the player models just don't look as good as I expected. Chris Bosh was one, and the Spurs had a white guy with longer hair that looked pretty bad (Sefalosha maybe?)

Not a deal breaker, but as a bigger NBA guy and after seeing a lot of the Harden/LBJ screens I expected everyone to look good. And it was just one game, so again no way am I set in stone on the negatives. Gameplay was nice and smooth besides the sluggish feet sometimes

Only question I have is can I pause downloads at all? Only option I saw was delete. As cool as it is to d/l multiple items if I'm streaming I'd like to cool it down a bit

Petrie

Banned
Fwiw the bundled mic sounded pretty good on the giant bomb livestream.
You could also look into mixamps but I am not sure if they would be compatible with your specific headset.

Oh I'm sure the Mic is fine, but having an earbud in my ear under my headphones just sounds uncomfortable when there's a mic already attached to the headphones.

I don't play online a ton anyways though, so no big deal. We'll see if Battlefield changes that.

Floex

I'm pretty sure not many will have done this yet but deleting a game, is it quick like Xbox or godforsaken slow like the PS3?

drproton

Official Vita headphones with the in-line mic works fine. The mic on the Apple Earbuds does not work on the Vita.

Must have something to do with the connector itself?

There are two different versions of that kind of TRRS jack, but I thought Apple and Sony both used the same kind.

Settings>Sounds>Headset/Microphone

Something like that. But you'll see bar to change your volume.

That's the long way, there are quick headphone volume options if you hold the PS button down.

Apple earbuds mic works, I was issuing voice commands to my PS4 with them. The volume controls on the earbuds don't do anything but the mic works fine.

Oh I'm sure the Mic is fine, but having an earbud in my ear under my headphones just sounds uncomfortable when there's a mic already attached to the headphones.

I don't play online a ton anyways though, so no big deal. We'll see if Battlefield changes that.

You dont have to put the earbud in just tuck it in or let it dangle, again not the most elegant solution but Im just trying to help.

Enjoy Battlefield it should be incredible on the PS4.

Sorry for the delay.

You do not need a camera, it is entirely gyro based and works far better than I would have ever imagined.

Also, Setup complete! There is still a little bit of cable management to do between the two stands, but otherwise, it's all set.

Ooh, that's pretty. Nice setup.

Oni Jazar

Good question, I shall investigate.

EDIT: Holding down the PS button gives you a few options. Among those you go to "adjust devices", and that takes you do controller options. Normally you only get an option to adjust the volume of the speaker on the controller, but when you have headphones plugged into the controller you get a second option for controlling the volume of the headphones. Very handy.

Awesome thanks! Another question, when you download a game is there still that two step process of download then install? If so how long does the install process take?

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I intentionally scheduled myself as the opener at work today. I usually close, which means I got home at around 10 PM last night and had to be back at 4:30AM this morning. This way, I get off at 12:30PM and have allllll day to play.

So worth it, although I feel like hot garbage right now. Desk nap?

Jburton

Banned
Well it seems Amazon UK is sold out of PS4 until after Xmas now - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BE4HOIM/

Short supply or is demand that high?

Demand is high, Game and other retail outlets have been sold out until after Xmas for awhile now.

I'm number 20 in the preorder queue at my local HMV (Game could not guarantee until after Xmas) so fingers crossed, they at least said they could not guarantee launch ( but likely) but definitely before Xmas.

xHunter

Do you have to install the games afterwards like on ps3? Or why does it say ready to install?

Petrie

Banned
You dont have to put the earbud in just tuck it in or let it dangle, again not the most elegant solution but Im just trying to help.

Enjoy Battlefield it should be incredible on the PS4.

That's a valid point. I suppose should I be using the headphones online that's what I'll do.

What I really need to do is move out of here and get my surround sound setup hooked back up though!

Greatness Arrives.

Welcome to the new generation.

But keep your Eyes open in this H A R S H ( D E M O N ? )World.

As the B E A S T is on the D O O R S T E P of the H E A V E N S.

F I V E are coming.

Reset the clock.

From 2014.

Greatness Awaits.

My try at the fun

Something Diablo 3 related maybe? Perhaps the D3 release date on PS4 is coming soon.

KeRaSh

I intentionally scheduled myself as the opener at work today. I usually close, which means I got home at around 10 PM last night and had to be back at 4:30AM this morning. This way, I get off at 12:30PM and have allllll day to play.

So worth it, although I feel like hot garbage right now. Desk nap?

Desk nap is best nap.

kriskrosbbk

What are the two files of BF4 .The second seems small for the whole game.First one seems like a patch ,but how come downloading a patch before the game itself.Shed some light.

Garland7G

Played some cod ghosts mp, seemed all good, never got dropped, a bit of lag in one game, but so far it seems fine. Graphics aren't that much better than the 360, but we all know what it looks likes.
Loving it.
Also, my fans aren't blowing at all and my PS4 is as quiet as a church mouse.
Will update about fans once I play resogun as that seems to be the title to get em going, but so far so good.

GYNGA

Sorry for the delay.

Amazing setup :O

But what's that bigass box to the left of X360? Did you get XBOne early?

:)

Sorry for the delay.

That's a really sweet setup. Love the tower of PlayStation!

Hyunashi

Sorry for the delay.

I have the exact same PS 1/2/3 as you and was thinking of doing a similar setup too! Looks great

Nozem

Sorry for the delay.

Those 4 Playstations are great! Do you actually ever use the Playstation 1 or 2, since the PS3 is backwards compatible?

Top Bottom