• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Still waiting for Need for Speed to install. 5 plus hours now and its at like 85% done. What the hell hope thats not going to be the standard.

Also don't forget to change HDMI to expanded for those TVs that support it

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah but after that initial time, all you have to do is plug in the headphones and it will go straight through the headphones. It's flawless. :)

so is it like plugging your headphones into the TV after initial setup? Headphones out - audio on TV. Headphones in, audio through controller? That'd be fantastic.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For what it is worth I've noticed that the fan noise is significantly louder/more noticeable when vertical for whatever reason.

Horizontal it is very quiet.

Unless I'm going completely mad, (I haven't slept yet).

weird. Sony would definitely have tested both. Do you have the official vertical stand? It has slats in for airflow - I wonder if the intake is slightly blocked if you have it freely standing on edge?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yup. He's knee deep into some 2K puss right now. And on his 30th soda.

RIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Cade

Got mine coming in probably under 12 hours or so but I had a quick question; is there a general consensus by now for things to avoid, or is it just "be careful with the HDMI"?

Do normal 3.5mm jack headsets work in the DS4 (want to use my Xperia Z1 headset)

Yes.

Smidget

Anyone try the game sharing yet?! Really interested in getting it set up today with my brother and trying to share NFS! Is it just as advertised? Make my ps4 his primary and his my primary and sign in with our own ids afterwards? Do we buy everything under the primary Id on the system I'm assuming?

Tabular

Banned
Some random impressions: all LTTP too!

1 the packaging, controller and ps4 are beautiful in person.

2 controller fits in the hands perfectly and the sticks are excellent. Just as good as Xbone in my opinion. The face buttons and d pad were the most impressive part. In my opinion the best I've ever experienced. Light bar works really well with the camera. Has potential.

3 The os seems well laid out and easy to learn and still gives you nice social features such as a what's new page that shows what your friends are up to. I've never been so impressed with a Sony os overall, combining speed, clarity and cool features. It also seems wonderfully focused on games and game related features.

4 the system doesn't seem as quiet as others implied. I hear the fan running if the volume is medium to low. Could be installing still in the background though.

5 remote play runs a little juddery on my vita. Still super playable but not in the same league as wii u game pad for frame rate. I thought someone was saying 60 fps no lag. Felt more like 25-28 while playing Shadowfall. Even the os doesn't run 60 fps on remote play. Still a nice feature and holds up ok for fps due to lag free controls. RPGs will be perfect I'm guessing.

6 Flower and resogun are fun and beautiful games. Highly recommended.

So far I'm happy with the system. Perfect day? Not quite. Still a damn good one though.

jiggles

Banned
Another headset question, if you put the game audio through it, what's the quality like? Comparable with Vita?

I have a pair of PSB M4U2's I'd love to be able to use while gaming on this thing, but the output needs to be of a pretty high standard before I'd consider it (Vita, for example, works well, but 3DS is hot trash)

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm so jealous right now. Thinking about trying to brave the waters and try to find one since Amazon.ca won't have mine here until sometime next week. Am I crazy, or should I just be patient?

Kane1345

5 remote play runs a little juddery on my vita. Still super playable but not in the same league as wii u game pad for frame rate. I thought someone was saying 60 fps no lag. Felt more like 25-28 while playing Shadowfall. Even the os doesn't run 60 fps on remote play. Still a nice feature and holds up ok for fps due to lag free controls. RPGs will be perfect I'm guessing.

I'm pretty sure remote play is limited to 720p 30fps

Gonna have to return the Turtle Beach headset. My TV only has one audio out slot and the audio kept cutting off (especially if I wasn't moving the left thumb stick)

Have you tried plugging them directly into the controller? Same issue? Is it a brand new pair of headphones?

Third issue if I use optical audio and dolby digital or DTS the sound is fine for a while but then it just becomes really staticky and stuttery.

Are you using a mixamp or going from optical to a receiver?
I really hope this isnt a issue as I just updated all my audio equipment.

At the midnight launch today I was telling anyone who would listen to not use the Ps4's included HDMI if possible, as some apparently are suspect and could be the reason behind some of the problems. So hopefully I saved the lives of a few new consoles.

Source? How could using the included hdmi cable damage the system?
The problem I heard about is piece of metal sticking up where the hdmi cable plugs into the back of the PS4.

Would be great if the iPhone headphones/mic work, that would be cool as the earbups on the new shaped ones are comfy.

Any headphone with a 3.5 stereo jack should work when plugged directly into the controller. Not sure if mics will work though.

-SD-

Banned
The official PlayStation 4 smell and taste evaluation by Pelaaja magazine.

10868521626_7b8651fed9_o.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AJUHYomDPE

mrklaw

MrArseFace
those with not perfect remoteplay - are you doing it with direct connection or via your router? (setting in the PS4 to choose)

Midas

As promised, the spines of three games; in order Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV and Killzone Shadow Fall.

It looks like ACIV and Killzone match in size, with Battlefield 4 WAY shorter, but the ACIV color is different than the other two. It's as if someone forgot not to print using RGB.

You don't print with RGB, it's CMYK :) Weird that it's different though.

Yoday

Do you have to have the camera or is it purely gyroscope based?
Sorry for the delay.

You do not need a camera, it is entirely gyro based and works far better than I would have ever imagined.

Also, Setup complete! There is still a little bit of cable management to do between the two stands, but otherwise, it's all set.
10868874783_5b21afedfe_b.jpg

Petrie

Banned
Maybe the wrong thread, but I have this headset, the Turtle Beach x12s. I know I can use it for audio with the controller or my tv itself (I'll go with the tv since it needs USB power) but I'm wondering if there's an adapter of some kind or some way to use it as a mic as well? the 360 adapter that lets you use it for chat is too small, but if I can avoid it I'd like to not buy another set entirely. Anyone know if there's a method?

Thanks!

Impressive setup, but couldn't help but feel the PS4 should be horizontal.

Thinking of cancelling my Official Stand preorder for fear of it falling!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Sorry for the delay.

You do not need a camera, it is entirely gyro based and works far better than I would have ever imagined.

Also, Setup complete! There is still a little bit of cable management to do between the two stands, but otherwise, it's all set.

That left side...

iAgehnz5NztCc.gif

TheContact

Sorry for the delay.

Nice ps1234

So I got my PS4 at a Gamestop midnight launch and after messing with trying to sign in to psn for about 20-30 min, I was good to go. Once I was able to sign in and make it my primary account its been smooth sailing. Loving the system so far, UI is nice and quick, downloads seem about normal to me, about the same as on my 360.
Killzone it beautiful. First game I played, graphics are amazing. About to try out some cod mp, hope the online is stable ;)
Only complaint..all the install/update etc for each game. Takes too long, Waiting for cod to d/l a 700+ patch atm is not fun. welp, its done, ;)

Good to hear.

Thoraxes

Sorry for the delay.

No PSP?

Jigolo

Sorry for the delay.

Banderas.gig

DAT left column

Sorry for the delay.

Holy shit, you've got all the Playstation consoles stacked in order. What a magnificent setup.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Woo! Randomly decided to check BestBuy.ca and they were taking reservations. Now I just have to wait for my email and I'll go and pick it up. Fuck you, Amazon.

The sound would be fine if I plugged the headphone jack into the controller and didn't plug anything else in. But I really do want the chat functionality

So perhaps the TV jack is the culprit here. If you really want to keep that headset you could use a mixamp OR you could try a 3.5 stereo splitter to see if that works.

Maybe the wrong thread, but I have this headset, the Turtle Beach x12s. I know I can use it for audio with the controller or my tv itself (I'll go with the tv since it needs USB power) but I'm wondering if there's an adapter of some kind or some way to use it as a mic as well? the 360 adapter that lets you use it for chat is too small, but if I can avoid it I'd like to not buy another set entirely. Anyone know if there's a method?

Thanks!

How do you control the volume when you have headphones plugged in the controller?

I dont have my system yet but I heard you can get audio options by holding down the PS button.
You could plug the headphones into the tv and use the bundled mic and plug that into the controller.

Top Bottom