• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone confirm for me whether or not it's possible to reverse X and O when it comes to confirm/back functions?

CF22

When playing Killzone does the screen turn black for a second at times, usually when entering or exiting a cutscene?

Venturer

Lockon there's an extra strip of metal on your picture the one shown by the red arrow below should not be there. It's said to be destroying teeth in your HDMI cable check if any are missing. Kotaku said sony used a pin to push it back into the console try that.

Edit: Looks like it may be down to the angle of the image but if it does stick out on your console doesn't hurt to trying pushing it in.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well add me to the defect list. No signal from my PS4.
Aw man :-(

Lockon the metal on your picture the one shown by the red arrow below should not be there. It's destroying teeth in your HDMI cable. Kotaku said sony used a pin to push it back into the console try that.

hdmi_port.jpg
This post should be quoted on every page from now on. Assuming it's accurate.

I feel kinda dumb for having so much fun playing DCUniverisve online right now. All that money spent on retail games and yet...I'm having more fun with a F2P game. Who knew.

Woot. Wifey went out and got my pre order from Walmart as a surprise (we were gonna wait til after our 2nd kid was born). Now im stuck here at work for 3 more hours. /wrist

Phew, that was scary for a while there!

I input the included code for the 30-day PSPlus trial, but when I go the PS Plus section of the store it's still asking me to sign up. Does the free trial not include free games (Resogun etc) and offers?) I have a 1-year code that came with my Amazon bundlefuck but I was going to use up the 30-day trial first.

Mr Swine

Banned
Does PS4 support surround sound through headphones like Asus Xonar and Creative Soundblasters do or is it just boring stereo sound?

Lockon there's an extra strip of metal on your picture the one shown by the red arrow below should not be there. It's said to be destroying teeth in your HDMI cable check if any are missing. Kotaku said sony used a pin to push it back into the console try that.

hdmi_port.jpg

I don't think this is correct, it's supposed to be there. You can clearly see the cutout in the plastic for it. You can't see it in the other picture because of the camera angle. My brother's unit that works fine has it as well.

I input the included code for the 30-day PSPlus trial, but when I go the PS Plus section of the store it's still asking me to sign up. Does the free trial not include free games (Resogun etc) and offers?) I have a 1-year code that came with my Amazon bundlefuck but I was going to use up the 30-day trial first.
For me, it took about 5 minutes for it to put the plus sign next to my name after I put in the code. Don't know how long you have been waiting though.

Hey guys, so whats that white light on top of the ps4 mean? Everything is working just fine, seamless update and install etc.

the ad is just there. i have 1 year PS+ and it showns the 1 year / 3 month / 1 month thing. just click resogun image above and it should go to the actual page and you'll know if you get it for free.

If they are talking about that piece of metal in the bottom middle, it's supposed to be there. You can clearly see the cutout in the plastic for it and it's flush against the back. You can't see it in the other picture because of the camera angle. My brother's unit that work fine has it as well.

I have never seen a HDMI port with that little metal nub in it. Not on a single one my electronics.

Just got home after picking up my preorder. I don't have time to play it yet as I've got to leave here in a bit and I want to experience everything without being interrupted. I was so mad when leaving the mall because some little kid walked right into my bag with some force after getting away from his mom.

Anyway, got the two year warranty from GameStop just in case, as well as an extra controller and Killzone.

It's wild to think the last time I opened a new PlayStation box, I wasn't even of legal age to drink!

Quick question!

Are the servers for the update pretty solid and reliable right now? Just got my ps4 in the mail and Im thinking about running home and hooking it up on my lunch.

kaskade

hdmi_port.jpg

I just checked my console (at work so I can't actually turn it on) but that little metal piece is all the way in the back of the port. I don't even think it would hit the cable. The picture makes it look like it's up front.

hdmi_port.jpg

I can't push it back because it's to far in. IDK how the hell they pushed it back with a pin and even if I could it would probably bend the HDMI middle slot thingy.

calder

Really love the console, only negative so far is that it doesn't bitstream audio for blu-ray playback, a negative for those of us who really love the placebo effect of letting our AVR's decode the Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA stream. ;|

Typomancer

Neo Member

hdmi_port.jpg

My port looks just like the one on the bottom. That piece of metal is actually flush with the plastic at the back of the port, so it is not sticking up and preventing the plug from going all the way in. The port just seems too small.

I am using a pin to try and push it anyways, will not budge. When I turn on the PS4, I get static flickers just like in the Kotaku video. Fuck me.

I have never seen a HDMI port with that little metal nub in it. Not on a single one my electronics.

That "nub" does look strange but I dont think this is Kotakus issue. All this metal nub would do is touch the ground shielding and shouldn't effect the center pins at all like the problem Kotaku had. If anything it would just straight up block the connector at worst, but shouldn't damage it.

graywolf323

I've been a PS+ member for years and it still asks me if I want to sign up on the PS+ section of the store :p

also you should be able to stack the 1 year on top of the 30 day

Venturer

I just checked my console (at work so I can't actually turn it on) but that little metal piece is all the way in the back of the port. I don't even think it would hit the cable. The picture makes it look like it's up front.

Ok it's hard to tell from the picture for sure, I checked every HDMI port in my house and none of them have anything like that. Only lockon can know for sure if thats sticking out at all, if it is thats the problem.

Correct. It's flush against the back.

It's in the back. Again, you can actually see the plastic cutout for it. The HDMI cable is not even touching it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
guys we are comparing multiple ps4s and that little metal piece is in all of them. the camera angle makes it so you cant see the one on top.

these things not working is pretty wide spread - hell, MINE isn't working.
what the eff. anyone find any good fixes? im just getting blinking blue lights and it wont initialize/show up on my tv

edit: that .4% comment was before it was widely available to consumers...
that's why the number so low. i wonder what it is today, sony.

Metfanant

Just wanted to pop in while 1.50 is (slowly) downloading and say that my PS4 seems to be working flawlessly...

For the record this is not a post meant to brag or rub it in the face of those with issues...but too often the negatives are reported and the positives are not (human nature)...and it makes things seem worse than they are...

Does anyone know if I put my 1-year PS Plus code in right after the 30-day trial if it will add onto the end of the 30 days or overwrite it?

Brawl96

Does anyone know what combination of settings I need to change in order to get the best quality picture on my Sony Playstation 3D display (the one with simulview) with my PS4?

Top Bottom