• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Vizzeh

Banned
I just checked my console (at work so I can't actually turn it on) but that little metal piece is all the way in the back of the port. I don't even think it would hit the cable. The picture makes it look like it's up front.

Im sure you already are, but gotta take into account that the PS4 port is male and the HDMI female, so the tip of the HDMI cable has to enter the whole way in, swallowing up all those pins.

IGN said they got theirs flickering by putting pressure on it. Others said they did something with the PIN and it worked?

Karak

http://community.us.playstation.com...-PlayStation-4-Systems/m-p/42122503#U42122503

Playstation forums have lots of reports of faulty consoles. Looking at that first page though you can see many of these people registered for the forum today or yesterday...so who knows how credible those reports are.

Agreed but taking into account the long term people here who are having them, the pictures, and the forums and other websites and EA even posting a blurb about some issues. It makes me really nervous. Plus many people this will be their first Sony system. So it makes some sense at least but there is even a thread on the official with tons of long term people there. Crossing my own fingers though.

lucius

So I guess there is no way to tell percentages of downloads, I mean it seems to be going much faster than my Slim downloads but would like to see %

*Sigh* Whats the number to Sony customer support....I will never buy another launch console again. This is my first and last launch console.

It's in the back. Again, you can actually see the plastic cutout for it. The HDMI cable is not even touching it.

Ok back to square one then, zero evidence of a bent pin or metal piece?

*Sigh* Whats the number to Sony customer support....I will never buy another launch console again. This is my first and last launch console.

I understand you are upset, but no need to be ridiculous. ALL electronics launch or later in the life cycle have varying amounts of failure, this is par for the course. Why are you even dealing with Sony? Get a refund from Amazon and if you want pick up another console within the next few days as they appear in retail or online. Sony will take 30 days to deal with.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Well just got mine just in time since got to get ready and head to work. I'll hook it up after work. Then run the firmware and download the PS+ games. Then decide on a game to download since will have 20 towards it from credits from Sony for the deal last month and 10 that comes with the PS4.

It is kind of a sad day be the last console I will every buy. 41 don't see myself still console gaming in 7 years. Now just need ND and other Sony first party to kick some ass and my gaming days can go out with a bang.

Also this.

yeah mine looks the same too...I see the little metal tab but its way in the back, it looks almost like there is a little slot in the plastic casing to accommodate the tab.

Also I just plugged in the included HDMI cable and it seem to fit in snuggly and appears to slide all the way into the port...(I am at work though so I cant really hook it up) but it looks ok.

Yo Guys, a little question for those, who already have a ps4: how long does it take to install a game in the background?

Depends on the game. AC4 took me almost 2 hours on a wireless connection. I could of hooked it up directly, but i didnt want to move my nice new console out of my living room.

EDIT*

I also don't think AC4 has the play as you download feature. Maybe I missed it.

Purexed

Banned
Well the ugly underbelly of dealing with Amazon is the lack of a physical location...

Got my launch PS4 and it's DOA. HDMI port seems to be faulty, can't even get a signal to my televisions. Pissed...

Happy ending here. My Amazon Battlefield 4 bundled system was fucked, but I was able to find another bundled system at Costco, last one left too out of 66 units. LAWDDD!!!

ProfessaSkillz is my PSN name, add me bros, and may you have a cleaner launch day than I've had! :)

Why the hell does COD kick me out as soon as I sign in, even from campaign.
Could it be a problem with trophies because its letting me get some i already got on PS3.

Pain

Banned
Several people in this thread(including me) having problems so it's probably very credible.
I"m sure the reports on THIS forum are credible. On other forums anyone can make free accounts though. Or maybe people bought a PS4, it didn't work and it pissed them off enough to complain about it online. This does seem more likely.

wInnIEtHeCrAP

Neo Member
Like many of you I was f5'ing on Amazon like a madman in june during the Playstation showing. Got my order in for launch day. Month's go by. I check the status on Amazon this morning... It say's "Out for delivery in Las Vegas". I don't live there... And it also say's, "Returning to sender". I start a chat with Amazon customer service, It turn's out UPS Fu3k!ng destroyed my PS4 on a truck somehow! WTF!!!! No PS4 for me today

Vesper73

All patched up and kicking ass! Love the interface. Love the controller. Great stuff!

Playing Killzone at 144" ohhhhhhhhhh!

/fistbump

My port looks just like the one on the bottom. That piece of metal is actually flush with the plastic at the back of the port, so it is not sticking up and preventing the plug from going all the way in. The port just seems too small.

I am using a pin to try and push it anyways, will not budge. When I turn on the PS4, I get static flickers just like in the Kotaku video. Fuck me.

Was the first cable you used with the PS4 the HDMI cable it came with?

K' Dash

My GOD ,you guys are scaring the SHIT out of me, getting my console on Monday and I'm going to hook it up at the store before I take it home, I'm THAT paraoind :((((

How loud is the PS4? Does it sound like a jet taking off like 360/PS3?

Disk drive is kind of loud when it's loading but no worse than the PS3 slim, IMO. Otherwise it's audible but pretty quiet.

[RANT]

One thing that pisses me off. Why did Sony switch to Micro-USB for the controller cable? What was the reasoning here? So all my extra-long PS3 cables wouldn't work and I'd have to buy new ones? It's not like a phone where the device is so thin you really need it. The controller's bigger than last time for pete's sake. Grumble, grumble..

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
guys we are comparing multiple ps4s and that little metal piece is in all of them. the camera angle makes it so you cant see the one on top.

these things not working is pretty wide spread - hell, MINE isn't working.
what the eff. anyone find any good fixes? im just getting blinking blue lights and it wont initialize/show up on my tv

edit: that .4% comment was before it was widely available to consumers...
that's why the number so low. i wonder what it is today, sony.

Try holding the power button down for 10 seconds to refresh it.

How do you link your profile to Facebook after the inital setup menu? Network went down for a moment so I couldn't do it then, and now I can't find the option anywhere in the menus.

Edit: Duh, Link With Other Services.

Love the design, PSN UI/Interface and the new DS controller is way better than the DS3.

Software is meh. (Shocker i know)

Killzone Shadow Fall is a by the #'s shooter. Nothing that you haven't done before and the story is probably the dumbest story i have ever seen in a FPS. It's mind boggling how bad it is.

Graphics are decent. I was not impressed with them, but i am used to gaming on the PC, and my PC has SLI'd 680's with a heavy OC.

Resogun was fun.

I look forward to playing all the unreleased Sony exclusives in the future.

Infamous 3 will be my next purchase for the PS4.

Top Bottom