• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Well the PS4 I picked up at midnight(preorder) was a dud(power issues could definitely hear a loose screw or something inside). Went back to gamestop this morning they swapped me out with a new one. I kind of feel like a dick because they gave me some else's preorder. I hope they have an extra for that person :(

No, the PS3 controllers used MINI USB.

And it's not about the cables, they can be purchased dirt-cheap. I'd just love to know WHY they changed it.

I notice most non-Apple personal electronics use the micro-USB connector. Almost all Android phones and tablets use micro-USB as do Bluetooth headsets.

Of course the PS4 customer service would be full. .4% my ass. This is widespread..Sony shouldn't have rushed the launch to meet the needs of the customers.
How much percent do you think it is then smarty? If it is around 5% (wich would make it the MOST reliable console to date) that would be around 25000 faulty consoles if im counting around 500.000 sold.. Out of those 25000 lets say 20% are talking about it on the internet. That would be 5000 people. Lets say 10 % are complaining on neogaf: That would be 500 different people complaining here on neogaf... I dont even see that.

Lets stop talking bullshit about numbers please. Electronics always fail, theres always manufactured defects and stuff... As long as its not more then 15-20 % there is nothing to worry about whatsoever.

I went ahead and used my old HDMI and kept the PS4 one in the box, And updated online instead of the USB, and everything has been silky smooth all day. Had trouble signing into PSN but that's a Sony side problem.

I had a nice HDMI from my PS3 that I just plugged into this one. So I never tried the factory one. Have most of you tried a higher quality one? I know sometimes the plastic around different ones can be thicker or star farther or closer to the metal. Just asking.

cdyhybrid

Backstory: Long time ago I hooked up this chick with my extra Armin Van Buuren ticket through Facebook. Fast forward to today; PS4 launch day. I didn't pre-order a PS4 cause I wasn't planning on getting one at launch initially. However, the hype got to me and I drove to multiple stores just to have them tell me that they were all accounted for. So I put up a facebook post as well for the hell of it. 10 minutes later, the same chick hits me up and tells me that her boyfriend picked up an extra PS4 and he'll sell it to me. I immediately take out $450 cash and go meet them up for the exchange.

The exchange: I meet them with cash in hand and hand $450 to him. He counts it, smiles and says "I'll tell you what. You made our night a while back with that free Armin ticket so I'll sell you this PS4 for $200." At this point my mind goes blank for a second and I'm thinking he's fucking with me. He repeats the same thing again and it sinks in a bit further. At this point, I start to tear up a bit, tell them they're gonna make a grown ass man cry and bear hug the living hell out of both of them. I held them for like 15 good seconds to the point of awkwardness because this shit left me completely flabbergast. He hands me the rest of the money and only takes $200. I kept thanking them afterwards haha.

Finally we parted ways, me with my brand spanking new PS4 in hand. Drove home with the biggest fucking smile on my face and still misty eyed. So here I am, back at home with a brand new PS4 that I got for $200 cash. I'm still in disbelief a bit and can't wait till I swap the drive with my spare SSD at hand and set this baby up. What a great day it has been so far. An act of kindness goes a long way and I'll never forget this day. Hope you guys are enjoying your PS4s as well. :)

VBUTTB7.jpg

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
I'm assuming people used a mixture of the HDMI cable included in the box or their own...all pretty nerve racking.

I pretty much moved the PS4 into the spot where my PS3 used to be in my setup and reused the HDMI and ethernet cable. I was paranoid about using the one it was packaged with after hearing stuff about it.

Picked up my first audio log in Killzone SP and wasn't expecting it to come out of the controller speaker. lol

GameSeeker

It really does seem like the hardware issues might be a bigger problem than what was expected yesterday.

Yeah, at this point it's seeming pretty significant. Yes, people who are having problems are more likely to speak up than people who aren't, but still.

It's not. Most of the folks who are having no problems aren't posting because they are busy playing :)

My PS4 has worked flawlessly from the minute I plugged it on.

K' Dash

Why? If it doesn't work, you get a refund. Zero reason to hook it up in the store.

/sigh

Regardless of when it launched these exact issues would occur. If you ship a million plus electronics you are going to have a few thousand fail. It is a given. It is one of the reason why retailers allow the return of opened/defective merchandise.

Dude, where I live the warrantys don't work that way, I'm never getting a refund and the console will be sent to a unofficial workshop to try and get it fixed :(

If I hook it up in the store and it doesn't work they will see I didn't have anything to do with it malfunctioning, and ask for a new one, if I take it home and it is broken they will just assume I did something to it, that's how shitty warranty is in this country.

Zyae

How much percent do you think it is then smarty? If it is around 5% (wich would make it the MOST reliable console to date) that would be around 25000 faulty consoles if im counting around 500.000 sold.. Out of those 25000 lets say 20% are talking about it on the internet. That would be 5000 people. Lets say 10 % are complaining on neogaf: That would be 500 different people complaining here on neogaf... I dont even see that.

Lets stop talking bullshit about numbers please. Electronics always fail, theres always manufactured defects and stuff... As long as its not more then 15-20 % there is nothing to worry about whatsoever.

dude, 1/5th of shipped consoles breaking is a HUGE deal. Even 10% is a pretty big deal. Not saying thats the case but lets not downplay it if that IS the case

Dude, where I live the warrantys don't work that way, I'm never getting a refund and the console will be sent to a unofficial workshop to try and get it fixed :(

I'm sorry to hear that. Where do you live if you do not mind me asking? The idea that a retailer can sell a defective item and not have to replace it is odd to me.

dude, 1/5th of shipped consoles breaking is a HUGE deal. Even 10% is a pretty big deal. Not saying thats the case but lets not downplay it if that IS the case
I never said 1/5th... I said 5% wich is 1/20th. I'm not downplaying anything. PS3 was around 10% defect rate, i'm expecting around the same for PS4. Im just saying theres no reason to panic because we see a few complaints here and there.

So I booted up the system and began download the update. Crash. Turn the system back on and it booted up in safe mode. Went to try to download the update again. Crash. Tried to do it two more times, both times it booted in safe mode and then crashed either immediately or while I was trying to download the update. I'm afraid to turn it back on. Any idea what the issue is?

So I booted up the system and began download the update. Crash. Turn the system back on and it booted up in safe mode. Went to try to download the update again. Crash. Tried to do it two more times, both times it booted in safe mode and then crashed either immediately or while I was trying to download the update. I'm afraid to turn it back on. Any idea what the issue is?

Use the USB method.

krae_man

So far I've downloaded the free games I could, put my $10 in my wallet, updated the firmware, and connected my PSN account.

I tried to look up my profile to see how much time I have left on plus but it wouldn't load.

Initial impressions:

-The PSN Store had more problems then just being slow. I still don't like it.
-I like the double tap of the PS button for Alt+Tabing
-Why do I have to manually select standby mode or turn off completely? Can't it default to the settings I chose?
-I'm not sure what "Log out of PS4" means quite yet, but I'd prefer "turn off" be the default highlight.
-The firmware had 3 progress bars: Downloading, Preparing to install, and installing. I do like how the PS4 was already automatically downloading right after I set up my internet connection. It was already 60mb into the download when I went to the update firmware spot and I did that right away.

Now It's time to play some games!

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So anyone put a PSone or audio CD in yet?
:(

Finally got my PS4 and I'm sitting at the front menu now, but I'm scared to connect to the internet and download the firmware update :X

I also have no thumb drives available right now

WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO

K' Dash

I'm sorry to hear that. Where do you live if you do not mind me asking? The idea that a retailer can sell a defective item and not have to replace it is odd to me.

I live in Costa Rica, here, electronic retailers will always assume you broke your shit when you try to apply the warranty, 90% of the time you won't get a new item, you'll get the same, but "fixed".

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh man, these reports of failing systems has me worried as I'm importing mine from the US. :\

Getting concerned here.

Top Bottom