• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm guessing this is the same error code you guys are getting when trying to log into PSN?

ce-32889-0

I can connect to the internet but not to PSN. Downloaded the update.

After 3 hours on hold I finally got to someone on Sony support. After only 3 minutes on the phone she declared my console "dead" and said she'd dealt with a lot of them today.

Wait 3-5 days for a box, ship it in, week of repair time, ship it back. All in all I'll get to play my PS4 sometime in December it looks like.

Worst part of it is that they had her upselling people protection plans on a defective device. Not, "we're so sorry that your launch day device doesn't work" but instead, "when the PS4 breaks the next time don't you want to be covered?!"

Ridiculous

Remf

Got mine delivered at noon, popped in killzone while the free games were downloading and having a blast ever since!! Also, I have my own hdmi cables so I used that instead of the one that came in the box....not taking any chances.

Add me if you are down with playing.

careksims

Just received it! Turned on without a hitch. Used other hdmi cables and not the one that came with it. Updating now *crosses fingers*

Vercimber

Well, guys, mine came, I hooked it up, and it carried no video signal at all, and there was no discernible shard of metal within the port. I tried other HDMI cables, tried unplugging the system, as well as a host of other things, and no dice. I'm gutted. Already boxed it all up and sent it back to Amazon.

My best to all of you and with hope you have better luck than I!

After 3 hours on hold I finally got to someone on Sony support. After only 3 minutes on the phone she declared my console "dead" and said she'd dealt with a lot of them today.

Wait 3-5 days for a box, ship it in, week of repair time, ship it back. All in all I'll get to play my PS4 sometime in December it looks like.

Worst part of it is that they had her upselling people protection plans on a defective device. Not, "we're so sorry that your launch day device doesn't work" but instead, "when the PS4 breaks the next time don't you want to be covered?!"

Ridiculous

I've been trying to connect with someone for 30 mins....

bob page

Ridiculous

Did you get it from Amazon? If so, you'd get an exchange or refund (so you can find one locally) a lot faster than going through Sony.

Broadcasting... Wee....

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/grave...tm_medium=channel1_link&itm_content=Channel_1

Streaming on 150Mb FiOS connection, can some tell me if my video is butter smooth?

Looks great.

So I'm a bit of a social media noob, but what's UStream vs Twitch? Are they just separate streaming services and the PS4 supports both?

His Ustream stream looks a lot nicer than any Twitch video I've watched.
Yup it is exactly that. Twitch is a site specifically tailored for gaming streams whereas ustream is for all types of streaming like TV shows or movies and other live events etc.

So far I agree ustream destroys any twitch stream quality I've seen. Not sure what's up there.

anyone encountered problems getting their PS4 connecting to wifi? I'm not talking about PSN but just to the wifi network.

a buddy of mine has one of those fancy "gaming" dlink routers from a few years ago and the connection keeps going up and down. The signal strength when it is up is like 80% and the router is close so that's not it. I searched and searched for some setting that could be causing a problem with it but couldn't come up with anything. PCs, Ipads, etc don't have any problem with it.

I turned the hotspot on my phone on and his PS4 connected right away. He doesn't have the extra scratch for for a different wifi AP or router at the moment so I was hoping to help him get it sorted.

Hex

Banned
Well the zeitgeist caught me so I applied for a new credit card and now I'm getting a PS4 as soon as I can find one after I get my card in the mail. Now to explain this to my wife.....

LOL That is how I ended up paying for mine, I am in the middle of moving out of my domestic situation due to a messy split so it was kind of looking like a no go, but I said fuck it and got an Amazon Visa and put my PS4 on there.

Runus

Welp, after less than an hour it locked in the menu. Had to pull the power, it gets stuck while checking system storage every time now. Unbelievable.

Dthomp

So far so good here. Booted up and downloaded the update in less then a minute and is currently installing. I did use my PS3 HDMI cable though just to be sure I don't have any issues. I think my port is fine, cable went in snug and seemed to lock into place. Keeping my fingers crossed since I see so many people with problems

Pain

Banned
Well, guys, mine came, I hooked it up, and it carried no video signal at all, and there was no discernible shard of metal within the port. I tried other HDMI cables, tried unplugging the system, as well as a host of other things, and no dice. I'm gutted. Already boxed it all up and sent it back to Amazon.

You may have acted a little to early. According to EA the firmware update is causing these issues.

Sony has released a firmware update for the PlayStation 4 that is required for many features on the console. However, this update also results in stability issues while playing games on the system.

This affects all games on the PS4, including EA titles, causing crashing/freezing and non-responsive connections between the player's console and their TV Screen.

Everyone so often my PS4 will go into "rebuild database". Hope this isn't a sign of something wrong. Just started happening over the last hour and I've been playing all day.

Did anyone here do a digital preorder for BF4 on PSN for PS3, then buy the $10 upgrade (only showed up today on store)? Did you get any preorder bonuses on your PS4 digital install?

Mononoke

Banned
Man, I'm blown away by Killzone's graphics. I'm a high-end PC gamer too. Thing is, there is just something to be said about having these graphics on a 55 inch HDTV. PC gaming can still do more stuff with aliasing/lighting and other effects. But my god, this is just...stunning. Wow.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
You may have acted a little to early. According to EA the firmware update is causing these issues.

Wait what? Firmware is stopping the system from displaying? How come some people's console is working fine then?

Actually I never even got the download the firmware and it sounds that guy didn't either so that's probably not the issue.

Did you get it from Amazon? If so, you'd get an exchange or refund (so you can find one locally) a lot faster than going through Sony.

This, so much this. I do not understand the individuals who are dealing with Sony. IF you can return your console for a refund, why wouldn't you go that route? You paid $400 for a brand new piece of hardware, not some refurbished console. I remember back when my 360 RRoD'd, I sent in MY console and I got back someones scuffed up piece of crap. Never again.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

do you think it's better to send back to amazon or to contact sony?

I got my busted unit on amazon as well

Teggy

Can you change the remote play to have Vita L1/R1 correspond to PS4 L2/R2?

And I really hope they can come up with a way for the Vita to bring the PS4 out of standby. Save power and can just play in bed.

WJD

Do us Euros get the same batch of consoles as NA is right now? Hopefully 2 weeks is enough time to sort this HDMI thing if not.

ironcreed

Banned
Sad to hear that so many are starting to have issues. I was close to pre-ordering myself back in the summer, but my gut told me to wait. I wish you guys the best in getting a speedy replacement.

Is there a way to pause downloads? I can't find it.

Also the mic they give you is a pain in the ass to get working. Had to plug it into my DS4 at least 8 times to get the system to see it.

Killzone just arrived. Still waiting on Skylanders and Knack and the PS4. Have to head out to work in 15 minutes and now I'm busy until Sunday. :( :( :(

sajj316

Have it, updated via Internet, installed KZ and Resogun, configured remote play, played on the toilet, and now resting ... 'twas a good day

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, these reports of failing systems has me worried as I'm importing mine from the US. :\

Getting concerned here.
Yeah. :-\ I sent one of my two pre-orders to my buddy in Japan, and we'll both be so bummed if his doesn't work.

How do you see the battery life of the controller? PS button doesn't do it any more.

Why don't friend requests disappear after I decline them?

Amazon said they would but had no idea when I could get a replacement. The rep I was transferred to told me it could be a week, it could be Christmas.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Do us Euros get the same batch of consoles as NA is right now? Hopefully 2 weeks is enough time to sort this HDMI thing if not.

I'd assume so, since yours are probably in a warehouse waiting. 2 weeks wouldn't be enough time to solve this issue anyway.

They wouldn't give me a replacement because they're out of stock. I told the guy on the phone I didn't want a refund, I was told "sorry".

One the phone with Sony now.

Zero doubt. Amazon. Get your money back and try again if you like. Sony will take a couple weeks.

Amazon said they would but had no idea when I could get a replacement. The rep I was transferred to told me it could be a week, it could be Christmas.

Considering they have had stock back in a couple times since launch I would doubt the Christmas line. They just cannot guarantee you a date is all. Take the refund and try the 90% lotto again.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm really stunned at how bad people are at interpreting mathematical figures in general. First of all, Sony referenced the .4% with regards to units that had BEEN REPORTED to them. They're not saying the defect rate is .4%. How could they possibly know what the average or adjusted defect rate of a batch of devices is going to be until many years down the road when they have data? Especially if we're talking about different things. Every single unit could have exploded yesterday and Sony would say .4% until more people started calling into them and saying hey my system exploded.

Also, I'm unclear of what the light pattern should be. People are saying theirs is blinking white...but I think mine blinks white when it is on. So that shouldn't be a sign anything is wrong I THINK. Is it possible the PS4's default video setting is not being picked up by people with certain settings on TVs?

Vercimber

I would suggest sending it back to Amazon. They are good about returns. Let them know, in detail, it's defective nature, pack it up, and they'll send you a label to affix to the box. However, you won't get an exchange, just a refund. Although they give you an exchange option, there is no stock. If you need the PS4, go the Sony route. The faulty PS4 just completely convinced me to wait for a bit.

Top Bottom