• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Owners, do you guys not missing Suspend/Resume feature?

MaDKaT

Just not a feature that crosses my mind on my consoles. If I hit a part in a game that is crucial and can't exit, I just do what I have always done, hit pause and leave. I'll come back to it later. Yeah, I guess it ties up the console but there is so much overlap in features with just about every device I have in the house that it doesnt interfere with anything.

I love the feature on my Vita. Not sure if I will find it as useful on the PS4, but I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out.

Zukuu

Banned
I can't even start to think about it without scratching my head and asking myself "who the fuck wants something so trivial so damn hard". Seriously, in the thread where "share play" was announced, the first 7 posts or so consisted of "where's suspend?!!?!?!?!?". It doesn't add ANYTHING but saves you very OCCASIONALLY like 20 seconds or so.

In this day and age, where you can either save EVERYWHERE or have checkpoints like every other minute it's just not a big deal to turn the console off if you have to go somewhere. For brief interruptions, like going to the toilet or cooking or something, you can just pause and leave the system on. Hibernate is the first thing I disable when I set up my PC anew; it's just THAT uneeded for a HOME SYSTEM.
There is a difference for mobile gaming, since you can't decide the gaming intervals when you are on a train.

icespide

Banned
I'm sure its a nice feature and it makes a lot of sense on a portable console especially. I can live without it on my living room console though.

Nope really dont care for it. If I have to leave go somewhere I just turn off my PS4. Jumping right back where I left off isnt that big of a draw I dont think. Now media features, like DLNA? Hell yes I miss that stuff.

Oni Jazar

It's by far my most wanted firmware feature.

Forget DLNA/MP3 - This is a games console
Forget custom themes/backgrounds - Who cares what the menu looks like I want to play games.

Instant play is a game changer and would be great for everyone. Even Netflix users can just boot right into Netflix instantly without having to wait for bootup.

All it took was a few rounds of Watch Dogs to know that it sucks to have to wait for the entire game to load in order to play the game.

Every time Sony announced any updates on Firmware my first question will be about Suspend/Resume and I hope all gamers ask the same thing.

Sony better add it in before GTAV gets released.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I want it. Sony has been horrible with the update. As someone either constantly busy with work or swamped with social activities it'd be awesome to just play a JRPG (lulz when they arrive) and just suspend because developers are stuck in the 90s with stupid save points. So I play whenever I want without an issue.

Someday... meanwhile Sony will disappoint me in that front.

I've never had that feature before so I have nothing to miss. Without having used it, it doesn't seem like a major thing to me. Just an extra minor convenience.

However since everyone who uses it loves it so much, I must be living in ignorance. DLNA and a proper media remote are higher priorities to me, though. I can't replace my PS3 until I have those.

I might be reading this wrong, but couldn't I do the same thing by putting the PS4 into sleep mode? Or does sleep mode turn off ongoing games?

I wouldn't want to use suspend mid-game for any device that couldn't cope with a loss of power. It's not as though the PS4 has an internal battery.

Yoday

I can't imagine ever using the feature when they finally implement it. Multiple people in my household use the system, so I wouldn't want to suspend my sessions and keep my wife from using the system until after I finish with my session. I get why it would be a nice feature for some people, but I am not in that camp.

x-Lundz-x

I would be a nice feature to have sure, but it's something I can certainly live without.

However, I'm sure it will be along soon. I would imagine one of the bigger (non-stability) updates after they get 2.0 out the door.

Is the only feature I wish the PS4 had already. The first time I noticed it on the X1 was playing Watch Dogs. I saw a checkpoint, I turned off the console, and when I came back the next day I was like "Let me reload this save file" And to my surprise, it was left exactly where I left the game off. My NPC was in the car chilling. Great feature. One of the few things I like about the X1 OS...Everything else is ass(Too much loading)

Gundy2010

My 1st XBone froze after 3 days of "Instant On" mode with Ryse running in the backgroud. I gave it a hard reset and it just died.

After going through a whole month of warrenty/shipping process, I changed my 2nd XBONE from "Instant On" to "Energy Saving" instantly after the initial set-up.

RulkezX

I haven't used it at all on my X1 so I can live without it on my PS4.

It's so low on my wanted features list I genuinely don't care if it ever comes.

Jo-El

Would love to have it. It's one of my favorite things about gaming on 3DS and Vita. Sony better hurry up with this!

cakely

Most games have a pause button, or a way to quickly save so, no, this isn't a feature I really miss.

Booting up a PS4, even from the powered off state, is a very quick procedure.

The Llama

I really want it but at this point I've just gotten used to not having it and it hasn't been a problem.

Still want it ASAP though.

pixlexic

Banned
Such a great feature on xbone. Since I am now playing more games on my ps4 it is really greatly missed.

Starting from exactly where you left off is a big deal to people with little time to play.

ethomaz

Banned
Useless feature for me.

Most games starts in less 10 seconds and my PS4 in less than 10 seconds... so 20s max to play a game... with StandBy way less.

BTW mostly games saves the progress... so I back where I was.

I don't want Sony reps to read this and think it's fine though, it was the feature at reveal I was most excited for, and it's kind of ridiculous a year on, it's still not here.

I don't find it that important unless you are in specific situations like grinding.

There are much more needed updates than suspend/resume.

icespide

Banned
I'd rather developers streamline/shorten up all the bullshit they throw up on the screen before the actual game starts.

Killzone Shadowfall booting into the main menu in like 2 seconds was awesome. I wish more games would do stuff like that

amardilo

It sometimes works on the Xbox One.

It mostly doesn't work with games that require a net connection to 3rd party service (like EA games that require Origin IDs). It worked really well for me on games like Forza.

When it works it's a really nice feature as you don't need to see all those intro videos and splash screens but it's not a huge thing to start a game and load a save.

It would be nice to see it on the PS4 too but I would rather they work on other system features like more multimedia support.

cakely

Yes, love it on my XBOX ONE, would really like to have it on my PS4.

SonyGAF - relax.

Everyone in this thread looks pretty relaxed already. You might want watch your use of the term "SonyGAF"; it's not really appreciated here.

Top Bottom