• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Owners, do you guys not missing Suspend/Resume feature?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I don't find it that important unless you are in specific situations like grinding.

There are much more needed updates than suspend/resume.

Didn't think of it this way. Yeah, if a hot bottom started grinding on me, I might have to suspend/resume for a few minutes....

I can't believe how many PS4 owners act like this isn't a cool feature and they "don't need it." I mean, of course no one really needs it. It'll be super cool once it comes to PS4, and definitely quite handy. Good quality of life improvement.

Sure I do, but it's really not a huge deal. Most of the time I game in the evening for a few hours and then can't until the next evening.

kadotsu

Banned
We are only at 2.0! Sony is a company that cares about its legacy. The most requested features will come with the 2.4 firmware.

Seeing as I rarely use it at all, I'm going to say no. Although I can see how some would want it on the PS4.

As someone else said, I want a Spotify app (even though I know it won't ever happen).

Bishop89

Nope.

Dont really see much point in it to be honest.

Usually when I play, I wait till my game is saved then I turn the console off.

Foshy

I think it's ridiculous that it still isn't here 9 months after launch. Sure, it may be not as important on home consoles compared to handhelds, but I wonder what happened.

Dunlop

As a family man I would love it, I constantly have to leave a session for whatever reason.

When I first got the PS4 the insane time between checkpoints in Killzone caused me to just trade in the game

Doesn't bother me although I hope they implement it before games like Elder Scrolls VI or Fallout 4 releases. These single player games with long loading times would benefit from such a feature. In fact I hope they implement if before Witcher 3.

Mastperf

No, not at all. They got the part you can't fix right (hardware) and that plus good dev tools for developers is all I care about. I turn my systems off when not in use and would likely never use it.

Toki767

Suspend/resume would have been useful last gen and even before last gen when games either took a long time to load or when save points were few and far between in games.

Those aren't really the case anymore so while I'm sure some people still want it, it hasn't been a huge deal to go without it on the PS4 so far.

Eh, you don't know what you miss until you don't have it. It's ridiculous, but it's my top feature of nextgen. being able to leave a game and pick up exactly where I left off without any loading screens/etc, it pretty big for me.. Esp because I don't have as much time to play as I used to.

Interested to see how well it works for GTAV, which we all known has ridiculously long load times to start the game. Suspend/Resume eliminates that, which will be pretty incredible.

PSYGN

These people don't know what they're missing. It's a great feature to just jump straight into the game exactly where you left off, unless you're constantly playing different games. At least if I'm imagining it like my PSP/Vita where you turn it on and bam you're right where you left off... is that how it is on the XBOX One? If so, it would be a great feature for many who can only game in short bursts.

Such a great feature on xbone. Since I am now playing more games on my ps4 it is really greatly missed.

Starting from exactly where you left off is a big deal to people with little time to play.

I do like that feature in Infamous. When you boot it back up again, no menus just straight to where you were in the game, but it doesn't rely on it being the last game I played. Just does it anyway.

Not sure how suspend works on the XBOne, can you suspend any game and continue? Or it is just the last game you played? Do you have to leave the disk in when you suspend so it's there when you resume, or is it like infamous and resumes when you pop the relevant disk in.

jeffyjaixx

Yes, I do miss it. After experiencing it on the Xbox One, I feel the PS4 really needs this feature as well. It's just a lot more convenient.

Odrion

Banned
It was kinda a big feature Mark Cerny promised during the PS4's reveal, so yeah, I'm somewhat miffed that they're acting like they didn't make such promise.

Jawmuncher

A lot of people here making excuses with the PS4s lack of a suspend feature.
You don't know what you're missing until you have it. This is the feature that sold me on next gen no joke. Being able to play and stop anywhere and come back exactly where I left off is amazing. When PS4 finally gets the feature I'll be so happy. The ease of gaming at anytime is something I like immensely

Ocelott

I can just imagine the power consumption that takes up....I hope there is an option to disable it if they added or ill just completely turn off the system everytime i guess

vypek

No, don't miss it at all. There are probably other things I would prefer first. I never had the feature and I'm so used to just turning off and doing something later that it doesn't matter to me at all. I get why people want the feature but I don't even know if I would use it that often.

A lot of people here making excuses with the PS4s lack of a suspend feature.
You don't know what you're missing until you have it.

I think the excuses are legitimate. It doesn't matter for some people and as you said, you don't miss it unless you have it. I think plenty of us have played through enough generations to be used to turning off anyways. I, personally, haven't had an occasion where it would be useful. If I know I have to step out, I won't start something that will take a long time in a game. In a bad scenario I just turn it off and restart later. In a worst case scenario when I'm in dire straits I'd just turn off the TV and leave the console on. Its a nice feature that some people just don't care about. I'm sure more will care about it later when they get it.

ethomaz

Banned
I can't believe how many PS4 owners act like this isn't a cool feature and they "don't need it." I mean, of course no one really needs it. It'll be super cool once it comes to PS4, and definitely quite handy. Good quality of life improvement.
I guess when it come to PS4 most users won't use it... just that... it is a cool feature for these that well use it but I think most won't use.

PS4 users turn down the console most of time because the boot is fast enough (to be fair the cold boot have the same time than the StandBy... ~10s).

Jolkien

I don't. I mean I guess I'll use it when it patched in because my ps4 is always on standby if I don't use it, but the load times are not very long on any of the games I play, not really an issue.

I can see it being a desired feature for people that can play for a short time multiple time throughout the day, but when I game it's for hours.

Theodran

Yeah, I definitely do miss it. It's my favorite feature on the PlayStation Vita (and it drains surprisingly little battery!), and since I often have to do little errands for my wife, or we spontaneously decide to go somewhere on a weekend, when I play games the most, being able to suspend and resume a game in session would really help.

Ishida

Banned
It would be a nice thing to have, but I highly doubt I would use it. So I'm not bothered by it's missing status. When it arrives, I'll be "Oh, cool." But I couldn't care less if it never comes.

ethomaz

Banned
Not sure how suspend works on the XBOne, can you suspend any game and continue? Or it is just the last game you played? Do you have to leave the disk in when you suspend so it's there when you resume, or is it like infamous and resumes when you pop the relevant disk in.
Just the last game and if you turn the console off it will kill it too.

Like I said I didn't played any PS4 game that have a save point longer enough to need a suspend mode.

You inFAMOUS example shows exactly how suspend mode is useless.

It's an essential feature when you consider how often you need to close your PS4 and put it in your pocket. You know, all those frequent gaming interruptions on your home console

EGM1966

Nope. I mean I have a Vita and I don't eve use it there much. I turn stuff off; I don't tend to leave stuff in standby and I tend to wrap up play sessions at natural save points so it's not a big thing for me.

I think it's a great feature for those who want it (or rather will be when it's implemented) but for me it's nothing I'm missing (or would use much if it was there).

alba

Little is the new Big
I want it as soon as possible. They really screwed up by announcing it early on and still not having it in the box at this time.

Come on, firmware team... step yo' game up!

Ricky_R

While it's a great feature, I really don't mind it because I always turn my PS4 off due to power consumption. I pay between $250 to $320 of energy a month and leaving my PS4 on all the time would increase that number.

I love it on my Vita though as I don't turn that one off as often.

Top Bottom