• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rest Mode seems to exacerbate performance issues in The Last Guardian

Toki767

I've always been closing the game before going into rest mode and I've had no issues.

The game is super forgiving with its checkpoints anyway.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Things like this and other power concerns are why I shy away from using rest mode as much as I can. Only game where I've used it willy nilly is Witcher 3 .. because the damn loading times from a fresh start are way too long.

ScOULaris

Things like this and other power concerns are why I shy away from using rest mode as much as I can. Only game where I've used it willy nilly is Witcher 3 .. because the damn loading times from a fresh start are way too long.

What are the other power concerns? Rest mode uses very little power, from my understanding.

geordiemp

PSA - You might get better performance in The Last Guardian out of your PS4 if you do not utilize suspend/resume from Rest Mode during your playthrough and instead fully shutdown or reboot your system between play sessions.

I found this exact same thing when playing dragon age inquisition 6 months ago on Ps4, one section I was getting 10 FPS (slide show). I rebooted and it played smooth as expected.

I can only assume its a Ps4 rest mode thing, as its not just 1 game. I never notice it now as I always power down my Ps4 when I can.

Sony should look into the rest mode bug on OG Ps4

Note, never noticed this on Ps4 pro yet.

5taquitos

PS4 uses 10W when in rest mode and not downloading. Yes, that's 10W more than if you turned it off, but 10W is very, very light.

ss_lemonade

A lot? It's like 30 seconds max every time you play. That isn't really that much.

I don't know about other games, but rest mode helps a lot with FF XV (especially when you can't save in dungeons and when loading times take like 5 minutes or something ridiculous)

ScOULaris

I used suspend/resume a bunch of times on my Pro when I played TLG. It ran fine.

Assuming that a memory leak is the issue, it would take much longer for this problem to crop up on the Pro given that it has more memory to work with and more horsepower to otherwise carry the load when resources get tight during demanding sequences.

Autofokus

PS4 uses 10W when in rest mode and not downloading. Yes, that's 10W more than if you turned it off, but 10W is very, very light.

It's only ~4.5W if you turn off 'powered USB' (if someone really needs it, at least use the 'for 3 hours' option).

5taquitos

It's only ~4.5W if you turn off 'powered USB' (if someone really needs it, at least use the 'for 3 hours' option).

I was under the impression that 10W is the baseline, and charging USB adds 4-5W. So with USB charging on, it would be about 14.5W. I could be mistaken, and either way it's very little.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What are the other power concerns? Rest mode uses very little power, from my understanding.

By power concerns I didn't mean consumption, I've seen enough posts about games crashing or not booting again after leaving rest mode to not want to do it.

Again, minor concern I know but I still do use rest mode for games which have exceedingly long load times (Witcher 3)

There are enough posts in the PSVR thread that suggest rest mode causes performance issues with PSVR. It's kinda been accepted that we should do a hard reboot before playing PSVR or stop using rest mode altogether. Not sure if it's the same cause for the issues in this thread, but thought I'd bring it up.

ScOULaris

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I wonder if digital foundry ever ended up looking into this. They reached out to me after I made this thread, but when they posted performance-related TLG videos after the 1.03 patch release there was no mention of rest mode or its theoretical effects on TLG's performance.

5taquitos

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I wonder if digital foundry ever ended up looking into this. They reached out to me after I made this thread, but when they posted performance-related TLG videos after the 1.03 patch release there was no mention of rest mode or its theoretical effects on TLG's performance.
According to the Stardew Valley thread, a recent system update fixed the issues that that game was experiencing with Rest Mode on the Pro. I don't know if anyone here verified and I can't say for sure that it would fix the problems here, but it may be worth someone testing.

Ever since I had Bloodborne slow to a crawl until I did a hard reset, I've started shutting off my PS4 fully once every week or two.

Alastor3

I bought TLG at launch but never played it since i heard the ps4 OG run poorly on it and was waiting to get myself a PRO but never ended up doing it. Should I come back to it or wait till i decided to buy a PRO?

ScOULaris

I bought TLG at launch but never played it since i heard the ps4 OG run poorly on it and was waiting to get myself a PRO but never ended up doing it. Should I come back to it or wait till i decided to buy a PRO?
It's an amazing game either way, but if you're definitely going to get a Pro at some point then I'd wait until then to play TLG in its best form. The framerate drops on the standard PS4 really do detract from some of the game's best moments.

Top Bottom