• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rumors , APU code named 'Liverpool' Radeon HD 7970 GPU Steamroller CPU 16GB Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or a compromise. A split ram pool. As long as they don't skimp on either side, which is what hurt the PS3, I don't know why it wouldn't be the way to go. 1.5-2 GB of GDDR5 and 4GB of DDR 3 and I think they would be in good shape for a generation. I'd have to imagine developers are sick of dealing with the limited memory at this point. If there really is a huge discrepancy between MS's machine and Sony's, memory wise, it's going to cause issues for multiplatform developers again.

Unless the speed differences between them make up the deficit.

Or a compromise. A split ram pool. As long as they don't skimp on either side, which is what hurt the PS3, I don't know why it wouldn't be the way to go. 1.5-2 GB of GDDR5 and 4GB of DDR 3 and I think they would be in good shape for a generation. I'd have to imagine developers are sick of dealing with the limited memory at this point. If there really is a huge discrepancy between MS's machine and Sony's, memory wise, it's going to cause issues for multiplatform developers again.

I feel like there'd be a lot of inefficiencies with the speed difference that way. *shrug*

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
price lowered for volume.

but again, cooling and power draw make me think "NO" to 7970. Maybe a GPU based on tech that the 7970 has.

The GPU is an ATI r10xx at 800MHz with 1843 GFLOPS, this is code-named "Tahiti." This chip is also include on AMD Radeon HD 7970, both chips (CPU and GPU) are 28nm processors.

This is what this rumor suggests. Not that it will be a 7970.

Isn't that way slower?

If So are they using the huge amount as a method of making it seem as fast (caching)?
From what I can tell that's what they are doing at MS.

I mean you can make up some of the discrepancy by clocking it faster... but that has limitations. So in the end, MS will have this gigantic pool of high latency RAM, and Sony will have a significantly smaller pool of much much faster.

At this point I don't know if the GPU differences between them will make the bigger difference or not.

Azure J

How much more powerful than Wii U.

We still don't know anything substantial about the system outside of memory amounts, so it's a hard thing to call. PS4 is definitely better than it though. By how much is the question.

going by the specs, i'd say it's orange times more powerful.

Sony using Orange Port tech confirmed.

8 gigs of DDR3.

The PS3, 360, and WiiU use GDDR3.

Did we find this out somewhere else and I was late to the party? I'm curious.

Thoraxes

A 7850 (which this is close to in terms of performance) launched at $250.
Yeah I know, I just glanced through a shopping guide on the 7850. It's still not what I would consider affordable for a console though, and with something like that, I would much rather pay that money to put it in my scale-able PC.
price lowered for volume.

but again, cooling and power draw make me think "NO" to 7970. Maybe a GPU based on tech that the 7970 has.

Well yeah, and also your second point, easily. Either way though, if any of these rumors come true ever, the PS4 and Nextbox are literally going to be packing a lot of heat.

I also need to find that super fake specs sheet that has the PS4 having 20 GB of ram :lol

You can't replace volume with speed. (Or the other way around)

Porting would suck if both of these rumors turn out true.
I know, such a gulf in volume can't be made up by speed.

This would be all around a strange generation if it's true. Porting between PS4 and WiiU would be easier, but far from perfect (GPU differences are massive), and at the other end RAM differences would be massive between Sony and Nintendo, and Microsoft. Sony and Nintendo much closer to each other. With a console on the outside of that range.

Might be why IGN had so many devs saying they wanted Durango to win.

AngryMoth

I've heard so many different rumours about ps4/ nextbox hardware that its impossible to know what to believe. Which are the most 'credible' ones?

I feel like one huge thing that would help the whole industry is machines with comparable architectures. If porting games was an easy process, imagine the resources that wouldn't need to be wasted on optimizing each game for each platform.

We know for certain one of the platforms that developers will be porting games to will have a split ram pool. GDDR5 for the GPU, DDR3 for the CPU. I know it's not the platform holders job to make porting games easier but it is important that 3rd party games don't end up running poorly on your machine. If Sony and Microsoft both went with similar memory solutions as the PC, I feel like things would ultimately be better for everyone. I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about but from my point of view, it would save a lot of headaches.

Selfishly, I would like to see this because it would mean more and better PC ports, which is actually my platform of choice.

I really don`t think Durango will have that much. My money is on 4 GB, maybe 6 GB of RAM at best.

The rumor is it's cheap DDR3 though.

As we all know, go on newegg to see how cheap gobs of DDR3 is, lol.

I saw a BOM list for video cards once and the RAM cost between a DDR3 and GDDR5 is really quite striking. IIRC the DDR5 card had ~$25 for RAM, the DDR3 card more like $3.

DDR3 is slow though, I am sure it would need EDRAM to manage that.

The rumor is it's cheap DDR3 though.

As we all know, go on newegg to see how cheap gobs of DDR3 is, lol.

I saw a BOM list for video cards once and the RAM cost between a DDR3 and GDDR5 is really quite striking. IIRC the DDR5 card had ~$25 for RAM, the DDR3 card more like $3.

DDR3 is slow though, I am sure it would need EDRAM to manage that.

A very large eDram pool.

But then you get into more board complexity issues.

The XBox 360 is 1 Teraflops and the PS3 is 2 Teraflops.
In pure bullshit PR speak they are.

Real world applications? Much less.

I hope the flash rumor is true. I could see it being used to save game states quickly so you could sleep the system without saving, resume exactly where you were and even have multiple save states stored to switch back and forth quickly between games. Could also just be a fast game cache to alleviate RAM constraints...

So, does anyone else wonder if the series of tech demos released by Square, Ubisoft, Lucas Arts and Epic this E3 exist in part to put pressure on MS and Sony regarding their next gen systems? They're whipping up a lot of excitement and creating expectations for gamers at a height the platform holders may not have intended to meet. Crytek, DICE and Epic had all already been agitating rather publicly for more powerful systems with more RAM and it's rumored the MS at least has already gone back to the drawing board once. I could see the Star Wars 1313 and Agni Philosophy teasers being boots in Sony and Microsoft's asses.

RiverBed

Banned
Allow me to re iterate:

]for a 79xx grade GPU, and AT LEAST 4G of ram, I would fucking gladly pay fucking $600 for such a machine.
*thinks about the FF tech demo*

The XBox 360 is 1 Teraflops and the PS3 is 2 Teraflops.

The current console GPU's are generally said to be ~250 gflops. For example, that's what they were listed at in Epic's UE4 slides.

Those teraflops numbers for PS360 are just, if you exaggerate the crap out of everything.

Besides that does it really look to you like PS3 is 2X as powerful as a 360? Most multiplatforms actually run better on 360.

1843 GFLOPS at 800MHz means it would have 1152 stream cores, right between the 7850 and the 7870 meaning it's a Pitcairn chip not Tahiti. At 800MHz it would be clocked lower than the 7850 which doesn't make much sense.

Easily.

I mean like, that's at the very least a $450 GPU at the cheapest you can get one new.

The PC card price isn't comparable. I posted a breakdown of the actual parts on page 2(don't want to quote it again) but as far as the actual GPU price goes, Its not really that expensive.

McHuj

Sounds great and very reasonable.

In another 16 months or so, when this thing launches, they shouldn't have a hard time hitting a decent price point.

1843 GFLOPS at 800MHz means it would have 1152 stream cores, right between the 7850 and the 7870 meaning it's a Pitcairn chip not Tahiti. At 800MHz it would be clocked lower than the 7850 which doesn't make much sense.

I was just about to respond Majik's post, but this is correct. It's supposed to have 18CUs.

Do you know if this is supposed to be a 1 chip APU? 4 CPU cores + 18 CUs in one die. Or are we talking about APU + an 18 CU GPU?

I assumed it was going to be an SoC based on Sony's CTO. Either way I've never seen an indication that there are two GPUs.

Karak

Christ a 2 gig difference between the two next gens seems like it would make a BIG difference in what games would look like. Even if split. I am just thinking along the lines of a 512 meg card and a 1.5 gig card and the differences there(regardless of speed obviously).

Obviously these arnt identical to video cards but I would hate to see 1 having a full 2 gigs lower memory than another.

Christ a 2 gig difference between the two next gens seems like it would make a BIG difference in what games would look like. Even if split. I am just thinking along the lines of a 512 meg card and a 1.5 gig card and the differences there(regardless of speed obviously).

Obviously these arnt identical to video cards but I would hate to see 1 having a full 2 gigs lower memory than another.

agreed. I want ms/sony to be as close spec wise as possible.

Drek

This rumor makes a lot more sense if you assume the PS4 isn't coming out until 2014, after Sony's next wave of key 1st party titles are out the door.

GoW:Ascension in early 2013, The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls at the plate for the PS3's last holiday season. Then the PS4 some time in 2014, with Naughty Dog's other team working on a holiday 2014 launch game, Polyphony already working on a new GT for at or near launch, Sucker Punch brings something to the launch/near launch party etc.. Sony Santa Monica, ND's second team, and Quantic Dream could then have their next gen offerings ready as soon as holiday 2015 or early 2016 at the worst.

Not a bad set up at all for Sony.

Karak

agreed. I want ms/sony to be as close spec wise as possible.

Ya even if the PS4 has a slightly faster GPU that doesn't make up for a full 2 gigs or hell even 1 gig of memory. Especially as it seems thats one of the first issues with consoles is the ram:(

MercuryLS

Banned

Yeah, the closer they are the better IMO.

So the 1.8 TFLOP number is just the GPU, what about the APU ? Is it just the Quad CPU or does if have the new fusion APU as well ?

Devildoll

last month the rumors said 2x GK104's and 20 GB's of ram.

i think both that rumor as well as this one are a bit ambitious on the spec front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom