• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

Melchiah

Since launch I've been looking at buying a PS4 in March thinking stock would definitely be steady by then. Now I'm doubting that and worried I'll have to do a lot of searching before finding one.

That's one of the reasons I pre-ordered mine already before last year's E3, and bought it at launch. I anticipated the supply wouldn't be able to meet the demand for months.

PJV3

Since launch I've been looking at buying a PS4 in March thinking stock would definitely be steady by then. Now I'm doubting that and worried I'll have to do a lot of searching before finding one.

I'm in the same boat, I should have kept my preorder and joined at the launch.
There seem to be a lot of people with March as the time to buy.

Yep. In addition to it being in short supply until march, 360 sold pretty meh I think through the doldrum months. It sold like an Xbox. I remember the arguments.

It took off in November of that year if I remember right. PS3 was so shitty.

The 360 really benefitted from the perfect shit-storm of one year headstart, PS3 being too fucking expensive and basically lacking in quality games (not saying it had none but it only had RFOM) until Uncharted, that and multiplatform games were running like shit on the PS3, basically everything that could have gone wrong for the PS3 did go wrong, that's just not going to happen this generation.

Not having the likes of Allard, Robbie Bach, Fries and Blackley running the show basically reduced the xbox division to one that really lacks a cohesive vision of how to run a successful, self-sustaining console business, but instead a group that is trying to shoehorn a money-making scheme (NuAds) into a device.

I hope insomniac gets devkits for a new ratchet :(

Insomniac just can't catch a break, though I honestly would rather Sony give Rather to someone else. Insomniac has been using it as cash grab too much, and it deserves way better. Into the Nexus was okay but I think another dev may be able to breath life into it.

MercuryLS

Banned
Yeah, tears of joy at all the bank Titanfall will make.Titanfall is going to sell gangbusters. Not only is it on Xbox One and PC, but its on 360 with an install base of 80+ million.

Xbox 360 software sales have been soft ever since the new consoles hit. I'd imagine the sales on that console won't be as big as people are expecting.

Gogo_ZvC

Makes you wonder how much of an impact this number would have had if they had released the console with more flagship titles like Uncharted or Gran Turismo 6.

I'm convinced that they themselves didn't even expect the PS4 to be this big of a success.

Here's hoping for a promising 2014.

Goddamn people at EA must be shedding tears right now

No kidding. The money MS paid for Titan Fall exclusive is most likely won't make up the potential PS4 sale loss. But then again nobody with a right mind (even Sony itself) would predict PS4 to have installed bases of 5M few months after launch.

olimpia84

That's a very impressive number. I keep wondering though, what games are all these people buying? I bought mine day one because I'm a huge BF nut but other than that the lineup of games has been horrible so far.

Makes you wonder how much of an impact this number would have had if they had released the console with more flagship titles like Uncharted or Gran Turismo 6.

I'm convinced that they themselves didn't even expect the PS4 to be this big of a success.

0 because they sell everything they are making with the titles they released with. Releasing the system with bigger titles wouldn't have done anything for them. Having those titles in year 2 and 3 can help much more.

Reg

Banned
Yeah, tears of joy at all the bank Titanfall will make.Titanfall is going to sell gangbusters. Not only is it on Xbox One and PC, but its on 360 with an install base of 80+ million.

RyBx6qG.gif

Ty4on

Yep. In addition to it being in short supply until march, 360 sold pretty meh I think through the doldrum months. It sold like an Xbox. I remember the arguments.

It took off in November of that year if I remember right. PS3 was so shitty.
Didn't halo also play a part? I got it in late 06 and remember the sales skyrocketing when halo came.
I remember it quite well because I felt like the only owner with no interest in it at the time :p

ramuh

That's a very impressive number. I keep wondering though, what games are all these people buying? I bought mine day one because I'm a huge BF nut but other than that the lineup of games has been horrible so far.

Ya BF is my go to game still on PS4. I still have a large PS+ library on PS3 to get through. I remember the PS2 days and keeping myself busy for months with Smuggler's Run. Lol.

Melchiah

There's a plenty of PS+ and FTP games available. Resogun, KZ:SF, Flower, Tomb Raider, and Outlast have been more than enough for me. It's certainly a better launch window line-up, when compared to the two previous gens.

Didn't halo also play a part? I got it in late 06 and remember the sales skyrocketing when halo came.
I remember it quite well because I felt like the only owner with no interest in it at the time :p

It was a weird combination of things. The Halo special edition consoles were also the first ones to use the new chipset (you know, the one not prone to melting itself repeatedly) which actually became sort of a "thing". I remember my co-workers being mad jealous of my hideous green abomination of a 360 and its amazing ability to play games without being wrapped in towels or given proper blood sacrifices by a petro houngan.

I actually used to (try to) repair other soldiers' 360's in Iraq by replacing the thermal paste, because obviously sending them back to manufacturer was not a reasonable solution out there. I eventually got to where I was just telling people to give up on the old boxes and buy the special editions, once the older ones ring'd out they would always become repeat offenders even if I got them working.

Inversive

No kidding. The money MS paid for Titan Fall exclusive is most likely won't make up the potential PS4 sale loss. But then again nobody with a right mind (even Sony itself) would predict PS4 to have installed bases of 5M few months after launch.

You forget the PS3 userbase which is bigger than the 360s anyway. Bizarre choice from EA if we're being honest.

Shin-Ra

Insomniac are one of the devs, the poster you quoted was talking about though right? They're working on an MS exclusive in Sunset Overdrive.
Insomniac has Burbank and North Carolina studios and the original Burbank studio previously worked on two simultaneous overlapping projects.

Portugeezer

Gold Member

It will be offset by the fact that XB1 is also doing much better than anyone expected in October, when the supposed exclusivity (i.e. not on PS platforms) deal was made.

MARNEY

Ahh the 360 version, made by a different dev & no game footage actually shown yet... Can't say this inspires confidence...

E92 M3

Ahh the 360 version, made by a different dev & no game footage actually shown yet... Can't say this inspires confidence...

It's either the game is running horribly (doubtful; the developer is competent) or it looks very similar to the Xbone version and MS doesn't want comparison shots/videos at launch. I'm sticking with the bone version simply because Respawn is working on it and the updates/patches might come out faster.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Well enough considering the growing difference between PS4 and Xbone? Who knows.
It's EA, when it comes to money... well, why doubt them? And besides, it's a safety-net as Titanfall is a new IP.

Now... if TF is a success and MS pay for TF2 exclusivity, then we can assume a shitload of money involved for TF2. Right now I wouldn't think EA is too bothered except for the fact they won't spread the awareness of their new IP as far.

Justified

PS4 is selling out currently, those flagship titles would have suffered (attach rate-wise) if they came out at launch. Once more PS4s are in homes, those titles will sell alot more

N.Domixis

Banned
Is it possible that sony announced early because they are confident that with the Japanese launch it will bring it up to 6 million? Then they will announce they have reached 6 million around the launch to create more positive pr for sony and doom for xbox.

todahawk

jesus christ what thread am i in again?

congrats to Sony though, great numbers... due in large part to lessons learned.

Is it possible that sony announced early because they are confident that with the Japanese launch it will bring it up to 6 million? Then they will announce they have reached 6 million around the launch to create more positive pr for sony and doom for xbox.

Certainly possible although highly unlikely that 700K comes just from Japan

Numbers are up to Feb 8 so I could see another 200K WW in that time outside of Japan

This is a real shame. Sony doesn't have ANY software appealing to ME. Where is Atelier Uguugu? And how about a big JRPG franchise from Mark Cerny and based Yu Suzuki and Nobuo Uematsu? And why hasn't Guerrila Games, who sucks anyway, unveiled their new IP wrpg shooter hybrid with dating sim elements?

I saw from the Order gifs that the entire game takes place in a hallway and it's just a boring third person shooter, which is a genre nobody likes, so another fail on sony's part.

amazing.

dr_rus

Titan Fall will move units. The real question is only for one month or not?
I highly doubt this.
Most of XBO owners will buy it and some of XBO future owners who are waiting for Halo5 and new GeoW may be tempted to but if you're waiting for Halo5 and GeoW chances are you have a 360 - and TF is coming to that.
For others, who aren't interested in other MS-exclusive games, there is the PC version.

jesus christ what thread am i in again?

congrats to Sony though, great numbers... due in large part to lessons learned.

It was a well thought out strategy that also got the tailwind coming off mistakes by both Nintendo and Microsoft. A $400 game system is priced very fairly and $100 less than it's main competitor. (The Pro XBox 360 for example was also $400 back in 2005). Check. Sony also has worldwide appeal (unlike the XBox). Check. They have a good online service now. Check. They are not behind in launch date with the XBox, it's main competitor last generation. Check. Sony has a history of a diverse line-up of studios that cater to all demographics. Check. They learned to make a game developers platform. Check. They are open to indie developers. Check. Build good relations with fans. Check.

The only real flaw in Sony's strategy is two things I can think of. A rather weak line-up of software that will be corrected soon. Plus they now charge to play online which is offset by the turnaround of Playstation Plus that gets better and better each year. So it should really be smooth sailing for them here on out and I personally think the PS4's success will revive Japanese studios that suffered last generation.

Plus they now charge to play online which is offset by the turnaround of Playstation Plus that gets better and better each year.

I really wonder how locking MP behind Plus is going to affect sales of consoles this gen.

It still annoys the crap out of me btw but I think both MS/Sony consoles locking MP is going to lessen the number of people who own both some amount. Not sure how significant it might be though.

More likely they go back to "Day 1" PR (ie, "The PS4 sold X units over the course of its launch day in Japan.") from which we might be able to extrapolate rough estimates of current numbers. They might throw the worldwide number on there as a 'chaser', though it seems likely it will be vague ("over six million") until the next NPD data is available.

Ehhh. "Warchest" isn't really the right word. Nintendo had a "warchest" because the money came from their games, and so it stood to reason it would be re-invested back into them to make more money. The money the Devices division at Microsoft is spending is more like a Mafia loan from the main body of the company.

dr_rus

I don't see it. I think the X1 will do a repeat of Jan in Feb, 140-170k. Then the Titanfall boost in March should get it to 250-300k. Then it'll drop right back down in April until a price cut hits. On the bright side, that means that they should be done selling their Dec. stock by late March/Early April.
I think that even this projection is too optimistic after the January numbers.
Feb will probably be worse than Jan for XBO (~100K) and TF will push this up no higher than x2 (~200K) and then April will probably be even worse than February.
We'll see. Don't forget that each month XBO will be hit by a new "720p vs 1080p" type of news which won't go unnoticed. Most of people buys these machines to play multiplatform releases and not Titanfall. This is the reason why 360 has done so great in NA.

TomShoe

Banned
Feb will probably be worse than Jan for XBO (~100K) and TF will push this up no higher than x2 (~200K) and then April will probably be even worse than February.
We'll see. Don't forget that each month XBO will be hit by a new "720p vs 1080p" type of news which won't go unnoticed. Most of people buys these machines to play multiplatform releases and not Titanfall. This is the reason why 360 has done so great in NA.

Sounds about right. One game does not a generation make. Besides, the gaming industry's memory span doesn't last longer than a month unless a title is truly worth remembering.

I wonder how many Xbones were returned in January, a la the Wii U. Wii U numbers actually increased in February due to January being depressed by failed scalper returns. If the same happened for Xbone, its numbers could improve for February.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
The biggest downfall of the xbo has got be the price. People are seeing a cheaper console with ps4 and keep hearing rumblings about ps4 being the more powerful console.

Microsoft needs to do a very smart price drop here. Either stick to the kinect and offer xbo at 399.99 or cut it and potentially go for 299.99.

Maybe the latter is being a bit drastic but the price needs to be on par with ps4 kinect or no kinect.

Top Bottom