• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

FiggyCal

Banned
I would say it depends what defines "consistently" and I would also say it's important to see how it's doing relatively to Sony.

For consistently, is it only 2 or 3 poor months, or 4+?

January was horrific for MS. I expect February to be much the same. But I think March will be better. But if April and May comeback to Jan levels, then they better be ready to be very aggressive with price.

I don't think they need to panic yet, but I'm sure they will be sweating March sales.

That really depends on how the sales compare to the 360 for a longer time period. If we just compare the first 3 months of the system, then Xbox One is doing much better than the 360, despite selling less in January. The panic might be premature.

Actually some larger GDDR5 chips will be available shortly which would drop the BoM quite significantly and of course yields improve over time for the APU. An early PS4 price cut isn't out of the question as the console will become cheaper to manufacture quite quickly. Though personally I think the first price cut will depend on the PS+ attach rate.

Price cuts aren't happening while demand is still this high.

The problem with the XB1 chalkboard is that it isn't based in reality. At least i've never heard anyone saying Sunset overdrive or Kinect Sports will save the XB1. It seems like they just put stuff there to fill the board.

The Wii-U one wasn't realistic, either. No one* actually believed Wonderful 101 was going to be anything more than a niche exclusive title, and very few people are out there who believed that Bayonetta 2 or Wii Fit U would significantly change the console's fortunes. That's, you know, sort of the point: the chalkboard is making fun of how utterly delusional some people can be when it comes to this sort of thing.

The "realistic" Wii-U Chalkboard would have been, "Super Mario 3D World will save the Wii-U" and basically nothing else.

*Standard GAF Disclaimer: Someone believed it, but it's not as if there's a sanity test you have to pass to post here. There's always going to be "that guy".

Protomanx13

Neo Member
The Wii U has been around for one year and three months. Not exactly two years :p

But yeah, quite embarrassing for Nintendo. Especially coming from the successful Wii. So far the biggest popularity drop in console history.

Wasn't the Atari 5200 even worst since Atari 2600 out live it

Amir0x

Banned
Cerny actually said they designed the PS4 with rapid price cuts in mind, as it was a lesson they learned from PS3. How true that will be remains to be seen (and is of course contingent on demand), but it does inspire optimism on that score.

I would say it depends what defines "consistently" and I would also say it's important to see how it's doing relatively to Sony.

For consistently, is it only 2 or 3 poor months, or 4+?

January was horrific for MS. I expect February to be much the same. But I think March will be better. But if April and May comeback to Jan levels, then they better be ready to be very aggressive with price.

I don't think they need to panic yet, but I'm sure they will be sweating March sales.

It really depends on how US-centric a console can be and develop a large enough install base to hit the internal profit projections that MS has forecasted. Clearly MS was perfectly fine with accepting "2nd place" launching at that price point, so they wanted to make their money off of other areas than just straight game sales.

But with the UK market even more in PS4 favor than the US market and the rest of the world clearly going PS4 strongly, MS has little ground to be made up elsewhere.

Assuming they up their game and manage to do 1:1 to PS4 in the US, or hell 3 XB1:2 PS4 in the US, is that enough of an install base for MS to hit their internal profit numbers?

BFIB

Its well deserved. Its the most fun I've had with a launch console since the Super Nintendo. Something about it just feels "right". Hard to describe.

Shengar

Where does the idea come from that the PS4 won't sell well in Japan? Is it the economy, or the small population? Or is that players have made the transition to smartphones/portable devices?

People being realistic that Japan console market have significantly shrunk down and lack of strong launch line-up. At least it apply for the first year, we don't really what might happened after that if let's say, Sony managed to bring middle tier developer from handheld back to console. The main reason why handheld turned into king last generation is because PS3 slow start, and HD transition mess which make many developers flocked into handheld. Smartphones gaming there is big, but I don't think it eats away console market audience, just handheld.

DieH@rd

Banned
Cerny actually said they designed the PS4 with rapid price cuts in mind, as it was a lesson they learned from PS3. How true that will be remains to be seen (and is of course contingent on demand), but it does inspire optimism on that score.

First pricedrop will come with arrival of 1GB GDDR5 chips. That will happen during 2015.

Second pricedrop will come when they manage to shrink APU to smaller size.

Wildcard pricedrop will come if they decide to release SKU with ~128GB of flash [no HDD].

jmdajr

PS1:

4 months (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million
10 months - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million
16 months - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million
22 months - September 30th, 1996 - 8.07 million
28 months - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2:

1 month (one territory) - March 31st, 2000 - 1.41 million
7 months (one territory) - September 30th, 2000 - 3.52 million
13 months - March 31st, 2001 - 10.61 million
19 months - September 30th, 2001 - 19.58 million
22 months - December 30th, 2001 - 24.99 million

PS3:

1 month - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
13 months - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4:

1 day - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
2 weeks - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
3 months - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million

There's much celebration to be had at Sony HQ right now....PS4 is outpacing PS1, PS2, and PS3 at this time.

hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif

FiggyCal

Banned
Price cuts aren't happening while demand is still this high.

^this.

The PS2 didn't get its first price cut in the U.S. until a year and a half in. Most other consoles get a price cut around 6 months in. If the PS4 continues to do PS2 or Wii numbers it would be in their best interest to maximize revenue.

First pricedrop will come with arrival of 1GB GDDR5 chips. That will happen during 2015.

Second pricedrop will come when they manage to shrink APU to smaller size.

Wildcard pricedrop will come if they decide to release SKU with ~128GB of flash [no HDD].

I don't see how a 128GB flash drive helps when they're at $0.50/GB at their cheapest still. They have to half again to make that even against a 500GB HDD.

APU shrink could also happen in 2015 once 20nm availability rises and cost settles.

jelly

That really depends on how the sales compare to the 360 for a longer time period. If we just compare the first 3 months of the system, then Xbox One is doing much better than the 360, despite selling less in January. The panic might be premature.

While it is outpacing the 360, that console was supply contrained initially unlike the Xbox One.

The 360 didn't really take off until people realized how poor a product the launch PS3 was, from what I can remember. Its first year was a pretty typical launch drought.

Mooreberg

A few months ago I would have questioned the wisdom of a SKU that can only accommodate the installation of two retail games... and then I saw people buying 12GB PS3's every time I went Christmas shopping.

Anyway, nice to see good news with all the portents of doom lately. By the time PS4 hits year one on the market, we should be seeing some really amazing stuff like we did with PS2.

RELIGHT

Banned

Really? Should be interesting indeed.

Please let this mean the return of Japan devs and mid-tier games...

Dragon Quest, star ocean, rouge galaxy, dark cloud, mark of kri, primal, etc...

Bring out the inspiration ps4!

Rapid production cost cuts more like it. Nintendo abused consumers for years with high Win prices, it will be really tough for Sony not to take the same approach for as long as possible.

This E3 will either solidify the trend we are currently seeing or Microsoft stops the bleeding. MS flipping the tables really isn't likely. It is really Sony's game to lose at this point. It is weird saying that so early but it really does look like the first two years of this cycle are that easy to predict.

hawk2025

In my opinion, a positive outlook for the Xbox One for the February and March sales looks like:

Feb: 200k
March: 500k

February and March doesn't just have to increase sales through Titanfall to "acceptable" levels -- it has to show that perhaps people were not buying the console because they were waiting for the game.

And then, of course, we need to see what happens in April.

Amir0x

Banned
500k sales for March? I think that's too high an expectation for any killer app to do, but I think Microsoft would be more than happy if they can do that :p

I'm sure even in March XB1 won't outsell PS4 world wide.
Not with MGS and Infamous arriving in the same month.

Anecdotal, but I know quite a few people that held out untill either Infamous or MGS, while I don't know anyone that's getting an Xbox for Titanfall.

What I could imagine however is XB1 outselling PS4 in march in the USA.

I suspect both consoles will get around a 25%+ boost from February to March.

Since launch I've been looking at buying a PS4 in March thinking stock would definitely be steady by then. Now I'm doubting that and worried I'll have to do a lot of searching before finding one.

EGM1966

Wow it's gonna be a while before Sony price drops the PS4 unless current demand levels suddenly drop off or MS force a move by seriously cutting price of XB1 (I mean to levels where MS would make big loss per console sold ).

No wonder I still can't find a bloody vertical stand in stock anywhere near me - the official one is harder to find that the PS4 itself.

Gotta say if MS doesn't make a bold move soon the PS4 is going to have so much momentum and install base market share they're never going to have a hope of catching it globally. Of course given Wii U position MS might be happy to take second place globally so long as they feel they are shifting enough XB1s.

mujun

Saturday can't come soon enough! I even have a three free months of PS+ coupon to redeem and of course a download code for Knack.

Jabba

Banned
They should be prepared to be disappointed.

A lot of people aren't going to shell out $620 w/tax on a Xbox One console, the TitanFall game itself, & for a yearly subscription to Xbox Live Gold when they can get the same game on either Xbox 360 or PC & save themselves a lot of money. That's certainly too much money to be asking for average consumers.

I've been saying this with you, along with many others. Which is why I think they should be pushing all 3 versions for maximum sales on all of their platforms. It would help make Titanfall a new impact IP like they want for it.

Buying it as you suggest above at retail $740 plus tax for Titanfall. Not saying Titanfall won't help XB1 sales but to think over 350k isn't realistic imo. Nor is the game going to completely change the XB1sales for the better permanently. Only a steady stream of services and game content over time will change that.

I haven't really checked for PS4 availability. 5.3 million is a ton. They're shipping systems fine. It's that demand is so high. I am really going to make an effort to get one in March, even with no games. I can play any of the f2p games and in April get Infamous and I'll be certainly be setup to move my PS3 account for Final Fantasy XIV ARR to PS4 version permanently for free. Thank PSN for P3 $10 Final Fantasy XIV ARR sale a month or two back. :)

McLovin

They wont drop the price any time soon. Even if MS price matches them they could still sell out since it's the most powerful console. If they do manage to get the costs down, it would be cool if they improved the build quality and kept the price the same.

Elios83

Great numbers, they're on track for 7m units for the fiscal year ending March.

They wont drop the price any time soon. Even if MS price matches them they could still sell out since it's the most powerful console. If they do manage to get the costs down, it would be cool if they improved the build quality and kept the price the same.

I don't expect an official price drop this year either. My guess is 299$ in mid to late 2015.
But the first internal redesign is coming out later this year and they will cut their costs down considerably. So we'll get more aggressive bundles and offers starting from this fall and that's not considering independent retailer promotions.

In my opinion, a positive outlook for the Xbox One for the February and March sales looks like:

Feb: 200k
March: 500k

February and March doesn't just have to increase sales through Titanfall to "acceptable" levels -- it has to show that perhaps people were not buying the console because they were waiting for the game.

And then, of course, we need to see what happens in April.

I don't see it. I think the X1 will do a repeat of Jan in Feb, 140-170k. Then the Titanfall boost in March should get it to 250-300k. Then it'll drop right back down in April until a price cut hits. On the bright side, that means that they should be done selling their Dec. stock by late March/Early April.

I'm quite impressed with how well the PS4 has been selling up to this point. While there isn't too much software available yet, it's obvious that that is coming. The hardware really is fantastic and it just seems to work.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The 360 didn't really take off until people realized how poor a product the launch PS3 was, from what I can remember. Its first year was a pretty typical launch drought.
Yep. In addition to it being in short supply until march, 360 sold pretty meh I think through the doldrum months. It sold like an Xbox. I remember the arguments.

It took off in November of that year if I remember right. PS3 was so shitty.

Alebrije

Nice to see PS brand returning to these levels , do not hate os dislike Xbox but Playstation is a brand that provides the kind of games that you hardly will see on a MS console ; games like Folklore , Journey , Flower, Ico , SOC , even the Demons/Dark Souls games are here thanks to Sony´s way of see the videogame industry. Not all is FPS and COD clones.

Maybe if PS4 hits japan "hard" we will see new or at least better JRPG, surely no the way we had them on the PS2 era but better than the PS3.

Saddly here in Mexico the console is expensive , so I will wait unitl June / July to get one , maybe I can get a bundle but due to the high success of the console donot expect a price drop , even here.

Yep. In addition to it being in short supply until march, 360 sold pretty meh I think through the doldrum months. It sold like an Xbox. I remember the arguments.

It took off in November of that year if I remember right. PS3 was so shitty.
I sold my 360 to get a ps3... i bought a 360 again not long after.

I think it largely depends on how the market reacts. If the X1, with a price cut, starts selling on par or even higher than the PS4 (I doubt either very much), Sony might react. It's a dangerous game for MS, they need a price cut soon, so let's say they do one in June for E3 and pick up in sales. Sony sees this and decides they can do one themselves so they cut the PS4 to $299-$350 for the Holidays. A $299 Ps4 would do much more damage to a $399 X1 than a $399 PS4 to a $499 X1, in my opinion at least.

Any way we look at it, MS has backed themselves into quite the corner.

Top Bottom