• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

I prefer to be conservative and estimate mid-late 2014 rather than early. PS4 demand is very high right now but when supply meets demand there could be a significant drop off. I also think MS will introduce a $399 model after Titanfall doesn't move the units they expect.

Sony will probably sell about 300-500k consoles in Japan.

If demand does drop off, both TSMC and Global Foundries have started ramping up the 22mm process. So we could see slim versions of both consoles with a price drop by the end of the year or early next year since AMD uses them to produce their chips.

HTupolev

Why would demand drop off as production meets the level of demand? ......... seems a leap in the dark in terms of logic.
You're just looking at it backwards. Production isn't likely to speed up much, so if demand falls behind production, it'll be because demand drops off.

From that angle, it looks vaguely tautological.

Loudninja

Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Serbia and Montenegro have been launched on 28.01.

In Croatia (and Slovenia AFAIK) pre-orders were not 100% fulfilled and complete March allocation is already soldout in advance. No idea about contigent after March, but since the new PS4 games will arrive in March/April, demand should continue.

Destiny beta will also be HUGE around here because all people I know are talking about it and waiting it to commence purchase.

Unlike with X360, not a single person I personally know bought or is interested in XboxOne. Few gaming stores have it (unofficially), but almost nothing is selling. XboxOne subforum on largest gaming portal is also a practical wasteland if actual owners are concerned.
Ah thanks amar. :)

Speaking of Destiny Beta, I thought for sure they would try to undercut the attention Titanfall is getting with a Destiny Beta announcement, but we probably won't get one until August, with a release in September.

I was foolish enough to think Destiny would be May at one point.

Speaking of Destiny Beta, I thought for sure they would try to undercut the attention Titanfall is getting with a Destiny Beta announcement, but we probably won't get one until August, with a release in September.

I was foolish enough to think Destiny would be May at one point.

Well they were saying spring 2014 until around the time the PS4 was released. We all hoped for a Destiny vs Titanfall showdown of sorts.

Tabular

Banned
Wii U vs. PS4 search interest in Japan since 2011:

If you want a laugh, add Xbox One.

jG5La8Ot8VjER.jpg

So I'd say from the graph Japan will buy roughly as many PS4's as they bought Wii U's at launch window. ~600,000 first month?

JPHJ

Neo Member
Shame vr is unveiled fot the Japanese launch. Bet they would love that. Probably at e3 isnt it. Still, will no doubt sell systems on hype whenever its released.

Man, I just have a bad feeling about Japan, just can't shake it. Maybe PS4 will break the console sales dry spell, though I don't have high hopes.

Still, even if it gets ho-hum numbers like last gen, it really says something when out of the 80 million both PS3 and 360 sold, only about 10 million were from Japan for PS3 and around 1 million for 360. The rest of the world out of Japan was really fueling the duo consoles pretty hard.

Man, I just have a bad feeling about Japan, just can't shake it. Maybe PS4 will break the console sales dry spell, though I don't have high hopes.

Still, even if it gets ho-hum numbers like last gen, it really says something when out of the 80 million both PS3 and 360 sold, only about 10 million were from Japan for PS3 and around 1 million for 360. The rest of the world out of Japan was really fueling the duo consoles pretty hard.
you do know japan isn't that big a country, right? rest of the world vs japan sales? usa alone is twice as big.

I was enjoying reading that PS4 reveal thread holy shit lmao. The 6+ pages of 8 GB GDDR5 MEGAAAATONnnn. The calls for 599, 699, 999$ system. The Cerny " he can tuck me in bed " talk about his voice. Every new announcement from sharing and especially remote play just exploded into 4 pages of people slamming random keys on their keyboard lmao.

Was fantastic to return to. Had me laughing and hell even made me glance over at this system and grin. It really is a fucking brilliant console from internal hardware, to external design, to controller and the UI. Sony did a masterful job.

Now bring on Infamous, Final Fantasy, Diablo, MLB, Towerfall, The Witness, Transistor, Rime, DESTINY, DriveClub, Uncharted, The Order and the billion other fucking games coming out for this thing. Bring on the 1080p native slew of games.

BRING IT. My wallet is ready.

Why are people so optimistic that PS4 is going to do so well when it's clear that Japan has moved on from home consoles to mobile gaming?
Well, for example a very reliable retail blogger has stated that his store is allocated about 3.5 times as many PS4s for launch as PS3s, and that almost all are dedicated to preorders already.

Of course, one store's data point isn't a slamdunk, and neither is Tsutaya, or WiiU sales, or Google searches.... Depending on which factors you emphasize, you can make a wide range of PS4 launch estimates sound plausible. But just as the preposterous high end is unrealistic, so is the barrel-scraping low end. Nothing points to the PS4 bombing, at least.

Man

I suspect 500k PS4 has been readied for the Japanese launch. That is a huge number.
North America is a continent and was in its Christmas period, 4x the population and they had 1000k PS4 ready.

Console launches : 4 Week sales

PS2 : 969k
Wii : 867k (Holiday)
3DS : 746k
WiiU : 627k (Holiday)
Vita : 482k ( 3 weeks during Holiday)
PS3 : 200k (Holiday)

Considering its not a holiday PS4 would be doing very well if it posted 750k+

500k is what I expect which is still fine.

Since everyone is talking about JP launch.

avaya

PS2 numbers if it were not supply constrained would have finished the Earth. People really forget this. Nothing has ever come close to that demand except for Wii fleetingly. The hype for the thing was devastating. Remover 982k sold out in minutes with the online pre-order for Japan.

Lionheart

I really think (and hope) that the PS4 will re-ignite console gaming interest in Japan. Hardware and price wise, Sony did everything right, which is probably a first for a console since the Wii launch. Plus, even though PS3 sales are lower than PS2, there are still a LOT of people who have owned a PS3 for years and must be craving for something new, even though portable gaming is so big over there.

The launch line up also seems very solid.

I'm really curious to see how many units Sony have prepared. I expect them to sell every single one of them at launch, even if they have like 700-800k units.

slapnuts

I believe the PS4 is going to sell very well in Sony..and the launch numbers will be surprising to many! Yes this is prophetic lol

But isn't Japan a small market for PS4 anyway?

Its bigger than the UK.

PS2 numbers if it were not supply constrained would have finished the Earth. People really forget this. Nothing has ever come close to that demand except for Wii fleetingly. The hype for the thing was devastating. Remover 982k sold out in minutes with the online pre-order for Japan.

This is true. PS2 did an insane 3 million or something in Japan while being supply constrained. It also had insane legs and amazing software sales.

Into

What is interesting is how the PS4 is being advertised in Japan, two key words: Youth and success.

Youth by featuring happy young people, teens to 20 somethings, all being happy and having fun. Success in that basically showing the PS4 massive and unprecedented success in the west. Which also panders to national pride, since Sony is a Japanese company.

This is drastically different than the way PS3 was advertised, we all know how that was advertised. The PS4 is more down to earth, which fits its price tag compared to PS3.

Whether it works or how much impact that has, is a unknown. The good news for Sony is that emerging markets in India, China, Korea etc can make up for the loss of the Japanese market if it really does decline to buy the PS4.

What sucks, is that Japan has huge historical importance to the console industry, it would be a shame to "lose" them completely, but hey, the market speaks and you have to listen. Exciting times ahead for the next 4-5 weeks to see how it does, where it looks to stabilize and what the reaction is.

Well, we're getting down to the wire. We probably won't see any actual Sony PR for at least twenty-four hours after sales start, but we can at least expect to see some amusing photos and GIFs of the line festivities soon-ish.

noobie

Banned
Well, we're getting down to the wire. We probably won't see any actual Sony PR for at least twenty-four hours after sales start, but we can at least expect to see some amusing photos and GIFs of the line festivities soon-ish.

If they want to beat MS then they should announce the first week sales within 12 hours of the launch of PS4 and if they want to make it unbreakable record than they should announce sold to customer numbers before the PS4 goes on sale in Japan

Melchiah

What are the titles that American audiences were running to the store to buy PS4 for?

Launches are launches. Pretending that a console needs 1 killer game at launch ignores the entirety of the history of console launches. People were buying 360's at launch to play Perfect Dark Zero.
I was one them. ;_;

And people were buying a PS2 in Japan to play Fantavision. ;) The PS2's Japanese launch line-up was atrocious, but somehow it's ignored in this case.

Mandoric

Banned
What would cause that massive spike?

He's crazy, but FF14 in particular is not that big of a draw for current players until phase 2 in April when they can use their real characters, so any of that userbase who aren't already on board for other titles may or may not want to buy immediately. That would probably be in the high 4-low 5 digits, enough to be noticable on charts outside launch week.

Melchiah

The fact that people are running out and buying so many PS4's with few compelling games actually concerns me. It makes me wonder if it is riding some sort of hype bubble at the moment that will lead to a bottoming out period soon.

Huh?! For me this has been the best launch so far, when it comes to games. There's certainly been more to play than during the past two launches.

PS2
SSX (+Shadow of Memories in March)

PS3
RFOM & MotorStorm

PS4
KZ:SF, Resogun, Flower, Tomb Raider, Outlast.

gruenel

The fact that people are running out and buying so many PS4's with few compelling games actually concerns me. It makes me wonder if it is riding some sort of hype bubble at the moment that will lead to a bottoming out period soon.

Please, can we stop this crap already. PS4 launched with CoD, BF, AC, NFS, FIFA, NBA (you know, some of the biggest franchises in gaming), admittedly few exclusives and lots of indie games. With TR and Rayman now out, Thief coming next week and inFamous shortly thereafter, that's more than enough games to keep the average player occupied for months...

Please, can we stop this crap already. PS4 launched with CoD, BF, AC, NFS, FIFA, NBA (you know, some of the biggest franchises in gaming), admittedly few exclusives and lots of indie games. With TR and Rayman now out, Thief coming next week and inFamous shortly thereafter, that's more than enough games to keep the average player occupied for months...
You forgot Lego Movie the game. That's kept me entertained lol.

coldone

And people were buying a PS2 in Japan to play Fantavision. ;) The PS2's Japanese launch line-up was atrocious, but somehow it's ignored in this case.

If you look at WiiU vs PS4 in West. People are not buying PS4 because it has better library or launch games. It is for the games coming in rest of 2014, 2015....

It was the same case with PS2 launch. It had a great list of announced titles, with every studio in Japan making games for PS2.

For PS4.. there is nothing in the pipe line.. it is worse than WiiU for Japan. No monster hunter, mario, zelda.. nothing.

Yoday

Huh?! For me this has been the best launch so far, when it comes to games. There's certainly been more to play than during the past two launches.

PS2
SSX (+Shadow of Memories in March)

PS3
RFOM & MotorStorm

PS4
KZ:SF, Resogun, Flower, Tomb Raider, Outlast.
The PS2 launch was awful outside of SSX. Though, I really loved Summoner >.<

I agree that the PS4 has the best launch lineup of any PlayStation that I can think of. The PS3 was equally as bad as the PS2, if not a little worse.

Top Bottom