• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Software Update 1.5 is now up for download

The 800MB file is for people replacing their HDD and it includes the OS. The 300MB file is the basic update from and old version to the newest.

Let me get this straight:
1.) Download the recovery file
2.) Install new hardrive
3.) PS4 is now downgraded to 1.5

Now when 1.5 is hacked, everyone can easily downgrade to 1.5.

Did Sony think this through?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
2.) Install new hardrive

No, that's not right. There's some flash on the actual system that retains critical info like the boot procedure for the console, safe mode, the software update procedure, and the current software version of the system. If you remove the HDD and install a new one you'll be prompted to install the same version of the software the old HDD had or something newer, it won't let you downgrade.

TyrantII

OP says to use Select 7 [Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software)] for a HDD replacement.

looks like they did that in the video as well.

But Sonys site repeats Select 3 [Update System Software]

Can I assume Sony copy/pasta'd wrong? Use option 7 for HDD swaps?

Killthee

OP says to use Select 7 [Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software)] for a HDD replacement.

looks like they did that in the video as well.

But Sonys site repeats Select 3 [Update System Software]

Can I assume Sony copy/pasta'd wrong? Use option 7 for HDD swaps?
I'm going with what the video said only because you need to format a new drive for it to work on the system and the only option that has a format warning on Sony's own knowledge center is option 7.

Safe Mode Options

The following options are available in Safe Mode:
  1. Restart System - Ends Safe Mode and restarts the PlayStation 4 normally.
  2. Change Resolution - Changes the screen resolution to 480p when the PlayStation 4 is restarted.
  3. Update System Software - Allows the PlayStation 4 to update the system software via Internet, USB Drive, or Disc.
  4. Restore Default Settings - Restores the PlayStation 4 to the default factory settings.
  5. Rebuild Database - Scans the drive and creates a new database of all content. This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.
  6. Initialize PS4 - IMPORTANT: All data and settings will be lost by performing this step. Deletes all user data and restores the PS4 to as if it just came out of the box. This option is the same as [Initialize PS4 ] in the (Settings) menu. System software (firmware) is not deleted.
  7. Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software) - IMPORTANT: Deletes all information on the HDD, including the System Software. A message that states a USB storage device containing the System Software must be connected, is displayed. Then you can confirm the selection.

Is party chat supported on day 1 in this patch?
Yes.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/party/about_party.html

It probably means little, but for reference:

capturey5fhk.png

Would this be enough time to trade in my copy of Knack

Only joking I would not
buy knack

Jedi2016

If anyone cares, it appears the md5 hash of the file is in the download URL. i got this for the first (update) file:

MD5(PS4UPDATE.PUP)= df008b5601f4a214a3cc65030a02ac4a
Ah, thanks for that. I ran MD5 on two copies of the file that I downloaded, and they matched, so that was a good sign. Also matches that one that you posted. It's a good check to know the file's solid before installing it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
actually shocked that the PS4 requires an OS install. Neither prior-gen console needed one. PS3 still needs an HDD but can format a new one on it's own.

although it sounds like it should be EXTREMELY difficult to actually brick a PS4 from a firmware update. So that's a good thing.

Killthee

actually shocked that the PS4 requires an OS install. Neither prior-gen console needed one. PS3 still needs an HDD but can format a new one on it's own.

although it sounds like it should be EXTREMELY difficult to actually brick a PS4 from a firmware update. So that's a good thing.
That's only true for early fat units. When they started to revise the hardware in order to bring down the cost one of the things that didn't make the cut was the 256MB on board flash for the firmware. They dumped it for a 16MB chip that holds the critical boot stuff and moved everything else to the HDD just like on the PS4. So most PS3 units require you to reinstall the firmware when upgrading the HDD.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1189

dubq

If anyone cares, it appears the md5 hash of the file is in the download URL. i got this for the first (update) file:

MD5(PS4UPDATE.PUP)= df008b5601f4a214a3cc65030a02ac4a

If you're paranoid, you might want to verify your download. On OS X or any other *nix, you can run in a terminal:

openssl md5 PS4UPDATE.PUP

On Windows, there are many freeware utilities that can do MD5 hashes.
Sorry, I have no idea what any of this means. What is this MD5 hash talk?

jediyoshi

2.) Install new hardrive

It's almost as if the PS3 went unhacked for years yet also had the functionality to have firmware updates through downloadable updates.

Jedi2016

Sorry, I have no idea what any of this means. What is this MD5 hash talk?
MD5 is a checksum algorithm. It analyzes the file and generates that code, which you then match up against the checksum from the original file. If the checksums match, then the file is guaranteed bit-for-bit identical to the original. A single change anywhere in the file, no matter how small, will result in a completely different checksum value, letting you know right away that something went wrong in the copy.

dubq

MD5 is a checksum algorithm. It analyzes the file and generates that code, which you then match up against the checksum from the original file. If the checksums match, then the file is guaranteed bit-for-bit identical to the original. A single change anywhere in the file, no matter how small, will result in a completely different checksum value, letting you know right away that something went wrong in the copy.

Cool - thanks buddy! I'll definitely check this against the copy I have downloaded on my Mac at home!

Killthee

in fact, i suppose that the playroom games is in the 800Mo Update ?
I think you're right. I went back to the gamespot video and noticed The Playroom icon was already on the SSD tile bar and since we know it's not available for download from the PS Store, the only way they could have installed it was if it was already included in the recovery update.

W0V1KXz.png

Nice catch.

Does it matter what format the USB drive is in? FAT? FAT32? NTFS? HFS+? If there are limitations, the acceptable format(s) should be in the OP.

When installing the software on a new HDD, do you have to have both the 1.5FW and the recovery file? As they're both called exactly the same thing, so you can't have both in the same folder (as I wouldn't think the PS4 could see the file if its not called the correct name).

Killthee

When installing the software on a new HDD, do you have to have both the 1.5FW and the recovery file? As they're both called exactly the same thing, so you can't have both in the same folder (as I wouldn't think the PS4 could see the file if its not called the correct name).
Just the recovery file. The support page for when you replace the HDD only links to the recovery file.

Joeki11a

Banned
My PC is being repaired

So I put a USB stick on the PS3 and download it, off the browser. Does that work? I mean I saw the 308mb pup file DL. I am assuming the PS4 will find it when I put that in it?.

Joeki11a

Banned
The 800MB file is for people replacing their HDD and it includes the OS. The 300MB file is the basic update from and old version to the newest.

Ya thats why the FAQ says make sure thr USB stick has atleast 1 gig of free space.

I want to see how much of the 500 Gig gets
used up before jumping to buying a new HDD.

I couldn't get the USB method to work. It was Fat32 formatted, folder was named properly, and update file was named properly, but whenever I tried to update software from recovery mode on the PS4 it just got an error.

So I said screw it and downloaded it over PSN. I didn't even hardwire the PS4 to my router, just did it over my wifi, and it did just fine. Took exactly 3 minutes to DL the 300mb update, and maybe another 3-5 minutes for it to do its thing, and I was up and running.

My PS4 booted the logo once and go to the screen where it tells you to sync the controller and then the light on the console turned white and lost its video.

mf.luder

I couldn't get the USB method to work. It was Fat32 formatted, folder was named properly, and update file was named properly, but whenever I tried to update software from recovery mode on the PS4 it just got an error.

So I said screw it and downloaded it over PSN. I didn't even hardwire the PS4 to my router, just did it over my wifi, and it did just fine. Took exactly 3 minutes to DL the 300mb update, and maybe another 3-5 minutes for it to do its thing, and I was up and running.

Exact same thing happened to me. I was very surprised with how quick it was.

Top Bottom