• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

PS4_meme_kaz_hirai_PlayStation_4_04.gif

The GIF that keeps on GIFING.

Chobel

Would it be possible to extrapolate December NPD numbers now based on this new data?

I'll try:
2.1 mil from Dec 1st to Dec 28th.

500K to Asia (famousmortimer)
280K in UK
300-600K rest of world (estimation from my part)

That means 1020k-720k US.

Hold up a sec. So, the original Wii crowd is somehow thrown into the "market contraction" talking point? They aren't really the same market as the other consoles of that gen, as shown by the adoption rate of the WiiU (along with the kinect and psmove periphrials). They would just as likely be the same crowd that pushed mobile and facebook games. Taking the Wii out of consideration, then parsing it from Xbox/PS2 era->PS4/Xbone era, it should look far more normal a spike then a drop off/contraction.

Things are fine outside of potential issues long term with the portable gaming vs. phone games.
Removing Wii from the equation means the market shrunk last gen. By around 20 million units.

Pain

Banned
For perspective, PS4's sold almost 40% more than Xbox One. If this continues this year, MS will definitely drop price sooner than later.

Edit: Damn my math.
Microsoft hasn't even launched in many countries yet. I don't see them doing price cut next year, it would be too soon for those Tier 2 markets. They will at least try. Price cut is a last-ditch effort.

Demon Ice

Banned
Amazing. And well deserved. I love my PS4. Gaming at native 1080p makes such a huge difference in quality, for the first time ever I can say my console is giving me a gaming experience that approaches that of my PC. And for $400 too.

Lunafreya

Can't wait to see the results for the end of this month or end of the first quarter!

I already pre-ordered mine, and will have it on 29th of this month!
(yes, pre-order since I live in Iceland, and its been hard for it to get supplies! ;w;)

Hold up a sec. So, the original Wii crowd is somehow thrown into the "market contraction" talking point? They aren't really the same market as the other consoles of that gen, as shown by the adoption rate of the WiiU (along with the kinect and psmove periphrials). They would just as likely be the same crowd that pushed mobile and facebook games. Taking the Wii out of consideration, then parsing it from Xbox/PS2 era->PS4/Xbone era, it should look far more normal a spike then a drop off/contraction.

Things are fine outside of potential issues long term with the portable gaming vs. phone games.

This.

If the main source of the contraction is the loss of the Wii Sports crowd, then that's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. That's not going to be the only issue long term though.

Mandoric

Banned
I'm a wannabe game dev.

Consoles are where I love to game. I want to see that market grow every generation. This gen is projected to be the first contraction since the market crash in 1983. This contraction is projected to be on the order of 100 million units. This is bad thing.

It's also the first "generation" to be dominated by one wildly disparate end of the power spectrum during the first few years, and another the next.

You'll find your psychology a lot happier, and probably your picture of the relative userbases a lot more accurate, if you think of the Wii gen 2006-2009 and the HD twins gen 2009-2013 (and a whole bunch of crossover between them).

Phades

PR with some more data:

Holy sofaking batman on an oyster that adoption rate for PS+. I wouldn't have even guessed a figure that high for it. That will send a very loud message to developers (console or otherwise) what folks are willing to adopt long term for such services.

So the PS4 is already in first place? Damn that's impressive. That's an unprecedented number of units on shelves at launch. It think it speaks loudly to $399 being Sony's sweet spot.

I wonder if MS is worried.

7 million "new gen" consoles in 6 weeks.

I know Nintendo is worried.

Microsoft hasn't even launched in many countries yet. I don't see them doing price cut next year, it would be too soon for those Tier 2 markets. They will at least try. Price cut is a last-ditch effort.
That's not how corporations usually see it. They see their competition is gaining a significant lead margin on them, upwards of 40% out the gate. That's unacceptable by any meaning of the word for a business. MS wants to "win", not play second fiddle.

If this continues, definitely expect a price drop this year.

God damn! Congrats Sony! Too deserve this success. I'm so happy the adoption rate for next Gen is so high, and it's really taking off. Quicker it foes, faster last Gen support dies and next Gen support maximizes.

Hrothgar

Wow what a bitch.

On topic: 4.2 million as of 28th of december is friggin nuts.

And it will just keep on selling, tons of people are waiting for a PS4 here in the Netherlands, every single (web)shop is completely sold out and have huge lines of pre-orders to fulfill, if you order one now they expect you might get one by the end of march.

Demand is through the roof.

For example bol.com, the largest dutch online retailer, has only fulfilled pre-orders up to September so far. So that's still 2 months of pre-orders to fulfill, and only then post-launch orders can be fulfilled.

I have a feeling a disproportionate amount of PS4 were shipped to the US and UK compared to worldwide demand.

quetz67

Banned
There's that and Drive Club doesn't have a release date just yet. If they can release Drive Club in February, then January might be the only month where sales drop a bit. The momentum can continue with Drive Club and Infamous later.
No signs of dropping to be found, sure not in europe but has anybody seen a PS4 on an US shelve lasting longer than a snowflake in hell? Unless no PS4 is on shelve until the next shipment sales will be only supply contrained - and why would Sony ship less in January?

This is great news - well done Sony, however if you could get one of the friggin things elsewhere in the world you could stick at least another million on that figure.

This.

If the main source of the contraction is the loss of the Wii Sports crowd, then that's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. That's not going to be the only issue long term though.

It's also the first "generation" to be dominated by one wildly disparate end of the power spectrum during the first few years, and another the next.

You'll find your psychology a lot happier, and probably your picture of the relative userbases a lot more accurate, if you think of the Wii gen 2006-2009 and the HD twins gen 2009-2013 (and a whole bunch of crossover between them).
Then the dedicated gaming market has already seen a contraction. The PS3/360 are at a 20 million unit deficit to the PS2/Xbox/GCN.

nampad

Well deserved and very impressive. So much crow served for everyone who said console gaming is dead and the next gen systems will have the same fate as the Wii U.

The thing is MS has Halo 5 to bank on later this year. I can only imagine that it will take multiple IPs from Sony to draw the same size of crowd (inF:SS, Uncharted and GT).

Halo crowd : 8-10 million

GT crowd : 8-10 million
Uncharted crowd : 4-5 million
inF crowd : 1-2 million

Huh.

Xbox One - 3 Million for 2013
PS4 - 4.2 Million for 2013

Do you guys still think the Xbox One sales are impressive? I wouldn't say there were bad, but just "good enough". PS4's success is astronomical.

Unnecessary, dude. Both are doing very well considering they just came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom