• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, Sony deserve it big fucking time !

They have done everything to win me over. Their messaging was clear, their pr was great, the controller is amazing, online is off to an amazing start, the system is fucking amazing and its future looks even brighter.

Bravo Sony !

PS: Those sales are very very good, if only Sony could supply more consoles...

And thank god console gaming is definitely not dead so those wack Apple loving non-gaming journalists can STFU !

$100 more in fewer territories, so yeah. Still impressive.

I'd go with this.

I just also think with the supply issues Sony has they're doing pretty strong. I know a couple of people who want one and can't get one.

And my real life friends aren't massive gamers. PS4 does really seem to have gone mainstream.

Sony is literally SELLING EVERY SINGLE PS4 THEY MAKE.

Their supply to sale ratio is 1:1 = CHA-CHING$$$$$

Not to mention the attached game rate and the PS+ subs.

Shin-Ra

DSC_0770.jpg
Anyone catch Kaz laughing with Vince Gilligan? His laugh is really infectious.

AngryMoth

Great news.

Hopefully these impressive next gen numbers will convince publishers to abandon last gen sooner rather than later

MavFan619

Banned
Love to hear this news for devs especially. Installed base will grow by quite a bit this year, encouraging more devs to create next-gen only titles.
This is what I want I want everyone to own these consoles. Let's get those fully optimized games sooner than later.

R0ckman

This is amazing, congrats to SONY. They listened to their audience and deserved this success.

So when is Iwata moving things from panic mode to batshit mode?

Gold Member
Wow well done to Sony, that's very impressive.

I still haven't seen one in the wild other than mine so it looks like the demand is still there for it. I've been really happy with mine so far, can't ask for much more than that really.

Gadirok

PSP was pretty impressive despite the fact it stood next to the DS. Doing well in the face of an incoming juggernaut is plenty.

Still my favourite Playstation platform. The PSP was amazing and I wonder if it would have received better numbers and greater support from third parties if the rampant piracy wasn't such a issue.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Great news.

Hopefully these impressive next gen numbers will convince publishers to abandon last gen sooner rather than later
As someone who has no intention of jumping into next gen until there's a price drop on hardware, I hope you're wrong.

Trago

I think that thanks to the supply constraints, there are probably a good number of people who still would like to buy one in the next two months just for the games that are already out (or just to have one for no good reason). Sales might drop a little bit, but we're still too close to the launch hype for software availability to be the most important driver of sales.

There's that and Drive Club doesn't have a release date just yet. If they can release Drive Club in February, then January might be the only month where sales drop a bit. The momentum can continue with Drive Club and Infamous later.

I haven't seen any in stock in the US. They have shipments but I've never seen one on a shelf. I can imagine how much more they would have sold if they had more to sell

Slappers Only

I see Xbones sitting on shelves everywhere I go. I know a ton of game developers, and sure, lots of us have had them forced into our hands, but not a single one has purchased a bone of their own volition. Who the hell is buying 3 million of these things?

Citations would be lovely.
Pachter and a bunch of analysts just did their through 2016 projections. None of them had the market keeping pace with the PS3/360 generation.

And even so most of this is my work. Wii/PS3/360 sold as of today 260 million units. Removing Wii's performance takes us to 160 million units. WiiU at the maximum is going to sell 20 million units (I expect much lower myself) that means one will need to sell an extra 80 million units or both an extra 40 million while retaining all of their prior gen marketshare for the market to stagnate. They both need to sell a lot more to show modest growth for the market.

It is an implosion of Nintendo's marketshare. But its also a contraction of the larger dedicated gaming market. A market that's already seeing a huge contraction in the dedicated handheld market.

Minions

Awesome... hopefully my estimates correct in the NPD thread! I had a feeling something was going on when Microsoft didn't say they sold the fastest in December.

Brohan

XOjezpQ.gif

I think you guys know what to do with this gif.

Wow what a bitch.

On topic: 4.2 million as of 28th of december is friggin nuts.

And it will just keep on selling, tons of people are waiting for a PS4 here in the Netherlands, every single (web)shop is completely sold out and have huge lines of pre-orders to fulfill, if you order one now they expect you might get one by the end of march.

Demand is through the roof.

Wow. Console gaming ain't dead after all! It probably would have outsold Wii U total sales if it weren't supply constrained.

No Japan launch yet either. PS4 is going to dominate this gen.

Phades

I'm a wannabe game dev.

Consoles are where I love to game. I want to see that market grow every generation. This gen is projected to be the first contraction since the market crash in 1983. This contraction is projected to be on the order of 100 million units. This is bad thing.

Hold up a sec. So, the original Wii crowd is somehow thrown into the "market contraction" talking point? They aren't really the same market as the other consoles of that gen, as shown by the adoption rate of the WiiU (along with the kinect and psmove periphrials). They would just as likely be the same crowd that pushed mobile and facebook games. Taking the Wii out of consideration, then parsing it from Xbox/PS2 era->PS4/Xbone era, it should look far more normal a spike then a drop off/contraction.

Things are fine outside of potential issues long term with the portable gaming vs. phone games.

i-Lo

That's their online population drop. However, around 8 million people still bought the game. Besides GT, no other Sony's IP commanded that kind of sales last gen, regardless of their quality. That said, things could change this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom