• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trago

That's amazing. I'm a little worried about January and February sales though. Infamous isn't out until March.

That is like being second to Usain Bolt , no shame in it, not much you can do... just be glad to have him in your sights.

It depends on how the drought of games goes for the system and whether there is a big drop in sales but I don't see a dramatic drop to justify the price drop.

Plus, they sold Xbox One's realllly fast... at some point,

Your analogy only works from the outside in. You can bet your sweet ass that every runner that loses to bolt wasnt there to win second place.

It'll be interesting to see if demand holds. If they both keep selling at this rate, just wow.

Sony will be pleased. They underperform in a lot of their electronics so they have a shining star in PlayStation. The thinking in that department is such a world apart from what's bringing you Core and whatever they called the dog cam. (I have to admit, though, it would be cute to attach a cam to my husky.)

I'd also imagine there is some crisis talks going on at Nintendo today. Either Iwata was dead wrong to assume people wouldn't notice the power difference or worse (and more likely) Nintendo's brand has lost all its appeal to consumers. Probably a bit of both.

So the PS4 has a 40% lead over Xbone out of the gate while being completely supply constrained. Is it time for MS to panic yet? The Xbone is going to get killed in 2014 at this rate.

the box numbers are very good if you compare to most other consoles its just the ps4 numbers are better

Ricky_R

Are they dancing?

tgqy.jpg

boingball

Holy Shit. I expected better number as Microsoft, but not more than 4 million. Originally they wanted to sell 6 million by March, which I thought that also production capacity was around that. Either they squeezed out a little bit more or the changed logistics (airfreight instead of shipfreight) is responsible.

Crazy thing is that they probably could have sold 6 million already by December if they had shipped so many.

I hope they stay on the shelves by March. Want to get one once Second Son comes out.

Let's not forget Sony still hasn't launch in Japan where they DO have a market there while MS has zilch.

I'm curious how it'll sell there, actually. It could be disappointing based on declining home console interest in Japan. I hope for the opposite, though, so the big Japanese developers keep producing.

LordGouda

I'm a wannabe game dev.

Consoles are where I love to game. I want to see that market grow every generation. This gen is projected to be the first contraction since the market crash in 1983. This contraction is projected to be on the order of 100 million units. This is bad thing.

Citations would be lovely.

S¡mon

Banned
That 5m by March statement as another hook to make the competition think they could only produce so many units lmao. Sony loves doing that kind of stuff.

Just so happens the original 2013 mark was 3m and that is exactly what MS hit too lol. But nope, Sony had a trick up their sleeves yet again and produced 1.2m more then expected.

The 5m by march number is completely out the window now. It could be 6m by the time the system launches in Japan.

There is only 1 site out there that had 4.2 million many days ago for the PS4 number ... cough .... lol
5 Million was a very realistic estimate.

Tsundere

Banned
I'm curious how it'll sell there, actually. It could be disappointing based on declining home console interest in Japan. I hope for the opposite, though, so the big Japanese developers keep producing.

Pre-orders are selling out. So whatever they ship there, will likely sell out.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PR with some more data:

TOKYO, Jan. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. today announced that cumulative sales of the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system have reached 4.2 million*1 as of December 28, 2013, demonstrating the explosive growth of the PS4 platform.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20020701/SFM066LOGO)
"The momentum of the PS4 system keeps getting stronger and we couldn't be more thrilled gamers worldwide are enjoying the incredibly immersive gaming experiences along with deep social capabilities and entertainment provided by our network," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "After a remarkable launch, we look forward to bringing even more exciting content and continuing to explore the power of the PS4 system by adding new features and services, including PlayStation Now, in 2014."

PS4 software sales remained strong through the holiday season with more than 9.7 million*2 copies sold in retail stores worldwide and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store. A few of the top selling games included Call of Duty®: Ghosts from Activision, Assassin's Creed®IV Black Flag™ from Ubisoft, Battlefield 4™ and FIFA 14 from Electronic Arts Inc., and Killzone™ Shadow Fall from Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS).

Many PS4 owners have quickly taken advantage of the features and benefits of the PlayStation®Plus (PS Plus) membership service. Global PS Plus subscriptions have increased by more than 90% since the PS4 launch*3. PS Plus members have access to the Instant Game Collection™ and can play the full versions of popular titles without a time limit and at no extra cost. Current games include Resogun™ from Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS) and Contrast from Compulsion Games*4*5, followed by additional exciting titles in 2014.

PS4 gamers are actively sharing their gameplay experience through the PS4 system's unique sharing capabilities. To date, more than 1.7 million gameplay broadcasts have been streamed from PS4 systems*6 via video streaming platforms, Twitch and Ustream, totaling more than 55 million minutes. According to Twitch, 20% of their broadcasters are PS4 owners*7. Ustream is also reporting an average of 40 minutes of streaming per broadcaster*8. All these gameplay broadcast generate nearly 22 million*9 spectate sessions.

The PS4 system is now available in 53 countries and territories globally.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Both consoles taking off bodes really well. Hopefully we see less cross gen stuff and more confidence to release new IPs on next gen sooner than later.

Their forecast was for 5 million by end of FY 2013, right? That should be an easy target to hit then, even accounting for the inevitable post-holiday sales slump. Since demand still seems to be supply-constrained, I imagine they're going to exceed their target by a healthy margin -- maybe half a million units or more.

Alchemist

Xbox One - 3 Million for 2013
PS4 - 4.2 Million for 2013

Do you guys still think the Xbox One sales are impressive? I wouldn't say there were bad, but just "good enough". PS4's success is astronomical.

Considering the price of the Xbox One, I'd say yes.

Crazy numbers for the PS4. What makes this news even more impressive is that the console is still pretty hard to find in stores.

Bgamer90

Banned
This

Both have done exceptionally well, sadly one doing better than the other will steer discussion into a vs. type debate, but it really shouldn't.

7.2 million new consoles were sold in the span of a month and a half (roughly) and that is not including Japan for both companies. That is impressive on its own, then you factor their prices of 399 and 499 and it is fantastic.

Exactly. $400/$500 is on the high end for video game console prices. I always thought that $300 was the perfect/"sweet" spot. The fact that both consoles are doing this well at these prices is amazing.

It'll be interesting to see if demand holds. If they both keep selling at this rate, just wow.

Sony will be pleased. They underperform in a lot of their electronics so they have a shining star in PlayStation. The thinking in that department is such a world apart from what's bringing you Core and whatever they called the dog cam. (I have to admit, though, it would be cute to attach a cam to my husky.)

I'd also imagine there is some crisis talks going on at Nintendo today. Either Iwata was dead wrong to assume people wouldn't notice the power difference or worse (and more likely) Nintendo's brand has lost all its appeal to consumers. Probably a bit of both.

It is dat nintendo bubble that they have been operating in since the SNES.

Pain

Banned
Gaikai announcements in CES keynote I think fyi

lol called Playstation Now

Oh boy smartphones and tablets included. Gaf Meltdown inbound
We already knew it would be available on smartphones and tablets. That's the whole point, to introduce PlayStation to the casuals so they can hopefully buy a PS4.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Xbox One - 3 Million for 2013
PS4 - 4.2 Million for 2013

Do you guys still think the Xbox One sales are impressive? I wouldn't say there were bad, but just "good enough". PS4's success is astronomical.

Yes, I would say the XB1 has more going against it due to the bad PR and deciding to try some new things vs just making a more powerful 360.

Both are selling very well in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom