• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amused

So on the one hand, PS4 4,2 million and sold out everywhere, Xbone 3+ million and sold out... not everywhere. On the other hand, PS4 launched in more places, which in itself will lead to higher sales for a front loaded product like this (If Microsoft had sent 500.000 (made up number, is probably not this high) of the Xboxes on american shelves to tier 2 counties they would have been sold by christmas).

PS4 obviously doing better, which is great in my mind as I hope it will be the lead platform for most games this gen, at the same time I guess the numbers we will see in a years time will be more meaningful.

They sold 4 million consoles on hype alone. It's not including Japan. What a farce.

Congratulations Sony, I guess.
iby1h1G7MoeEIW.gif

I've been reading GAF for a long time, but I never understood this. The picture is taken from the perspective of someone who is inside, looking outside (you see trees and the sky outside). We see the reflection of Wii U, which must therefore be inside as well.
Could someone please explain this to me?

Don't put too much thought into it, just laugh at Nintendo

PaulLFC

What was their prediction, 5 million by the end of March? They're going to absolutely smash that number, I wouldn't be surprised if they're nearly there already.

More good news for next gen.

If you had asked me 9 months ago i would have said 4 million between both platforms would have been a good estimate for next gen system sales.

That said it is a clear and early lead for PS4, which would have only widened had there been 5 million + units available, as they clearly were short of demand during the holiday.

Titanfall will be a big system mover but I think PS4 will have the stronger spring, considering there is still pent up demand from the holidays they can ride.

XB1's launch momentum is trailing off with most retailers well stocked and demand slowing, I think the gap between the two will only increase when we have numbers for march.

I've been reading GAF for a long time, but I never understood this. The picture is taken from the perspective of someone who is inside, looking outside (you see trees and the sky outside). We see the reflection of Wii U, which must therefore be inside as well.
The WiiU is inside, looking out at the rainy day, and feeling sad.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
We just explained why that can't be it, because then the letters on its screen would be mirrored. U iiW

It is a mistake by the person who made it and just easier to read. Being a reflection is the only reason the gamepad would be slightly transparent.

gcubed

I don't see an XB1 price drop in the cards, but a $500 bundle with Titanfall or something, sure.

for a company that is rumored to be trying to keep the division in the black, i dont understand why they'd want to move to lose money per console (unless they dropped kinect)... if they were selling WiiU numbers maybe, but i dont see why they need to rush to lose more money

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Considering the X1 is not really selling all that much atm, not seeing Stock move nearly at all in stores around me for the past week +, January is going to be VERY interesting indeed.

I kinda hope that the PS4 outsells Xbox One by at least 2:1. Hopefully MS will realise what a stupid movie it was to build a Kinect powered multi media tv device first and a games console second. The idiots.
It will then force them to drop the price fast and hopefully come out with a cheapish Kinect-less SKU.

I wonder if there is some package designer somewhere at microsoft starting to draw up box design for a $450/$400 XB1 without kinect.

They have to, right?

tesla246

But the Wii is obviously a reflection from the inside; if it was outside it wouldn't be half translucent.

If it was clear black, instead of translucent, it would pop out of the picture in front, and would look like it is actually inside, killing the effect. Add to that that if it would be a reflection, the buttons should be swapped (look at the abxy, and D-pad location) as well as the on screen letters saying ''wiiu''.
Lastly, look at the window bars in front of the pad. Soo, yeah, just a quick photoshop that might look a little too much like a reflection, but it is as clear as a blue skie how this picture is meant to be taken: Wiiu sitting out al alone in the rain, ignored.

Very nice numbers for the PS4, wouldve loved too see non-supply constrained numbers, but this can have a positive effect on the generals people view, if it doesnt takes too long too reach normal availability.

Snakeyes

It wasn't very well thought out, so thinking about it in depth isn't going to lead to anything, lol. Can't be outside, unless Wii U was semi transparent. Ca't be inside since the reflection isn't backwards, etc. etc.

Console fanboys in a nutshell.

As I said in the Xbox One thread, this is great news for video gamers on the whole. Both of the next gen consoles doing well will push both companies to do their best, which is great for us.

Coming from an Xbox One only consumer, congrats to Sony and I look forward to future success for both platforms!

oVerde

Banned
C'mon now, what is this?
The mega hiper full power priceless costumer friendly with best games launched in more countries had 1.2 million ahead of its full of shame competitor?

Or am I not seeing something or this is clearly not a number to be THAT proud of?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really have to wonder if that dollar amount included 5 million ps4s.

EA isn't stupid. At minimum they'd have a fucking big number attached to that exclusivity, based on their estimates of PS4 and PS3 sales (so they don't lose out). If they were extra smart they'd have a clause in there that calculated the payment based on actual installed base when Titanfall comes out.

sono

Great numbers for a product out of stock so much of the time.

I see it as the WIIU is outside looking in, fading away in the heavy rain...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We just explained why that can't be it, because then the letters on its screen would be mirrored. U iiW

The only explanation is that Kaz Hirai went back in time and prevented the WiiU from ever happening, so it is slowly fading from the photograph like in BttF

Vitor711

Has noone posted the Arthur Gies tweet from a few days ago where he said that over 3m PS4s sold wasn't going to happen?

Ce-Lin

Impressive, excellent news for the industry (both Microsoft and Sony' numbers)

from 3rd parties' point of view it's going to be hard to sign "exclusive" contracts for their software now, there's going to be a lot of people out there to buy your games why would you want to be "bought" by either Sony or Microsoft, maybe Titanfall will be the last "big" exclusive aside of 1st parties' games ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom