• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox: On sale for 41 days in 2013
PS4: On sale for 48 days in 2013

3 million / 41 = 73,170 Xbox Ones sold / day
4.2 million / 48 = 87,500 PS4s sold / day

PS4 the fastest selling console of 2013.

Take that, Major Nelson.

satori

O-o I was expecting big numbers but not this big. That is nuts. Wonder how sustainable it is. And to think they are not even done launching yet. Wonder how big a market Japan is now a days. Anyways what a crazy start to this gen. Looks like it will be a fantastic ride.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
fdx.gif

GIANT FRIENDLY CRAB

HUG ITS WEAK POINT FOR MASSIVE SNUGGLING

Nafai1123

Banned
C'mon now, what is this?
The mega hiper full power priceless costumer friendly with best games launched in more countries had 1.2 million ahead of its full of shame competitor?

Or am I not seeing something or this is clearly not a number to be THAT proud of?

It's the fastest selling console in history with supply unable to meet demand. It's a number to be very proud of.

The reasonable estimates prior to launch for the PS4 and XBONE would have been around 3 and 2 million LTD by January 1st.

Once the November numbers came in for the PS4 I was expecting around 4 million for PS4 by January, but these sorts of numbers are stupidly good. By any prior measure the XBONE would be doing great, but with these PS4 numbers Sony has managed to move the goalposts on them and it seems a lot less successful by comparison.

PS2-type numbers in the first year aren't out of the question for Sony and 15M LTD by mid-November 2014 has become an entirely reasonable estimate along with 10M LTD for XBONE by late November 2014.

Even if my frugality has won out over my desire for a PS4 so far it's great to see these sorts of numbers as it guarantees great support for the system.

It wasn't very well thought out, so thinking about it in depth isn't going to lead to anything, lol. Can't be outside, unless Wii U was semi transparent. Ca't be inside since the reflection isn't backwards, etc. etc.

DUALSHOCK4 is laughing.

If the Wii U is inside, looking outward, you get the (mirrored) reflection of the Wii U that is transparent on the background. If then you are observing that image through a mirror, it reflects the Wii U so it is correct again.

Here I made a picture.

jb2bhQE5vZ19q2.png

Please let me be able to find a PS4 when I can finally get one next week. Saw two at Walmart the other day so I'm hopeful.

Why didn't you get one then?

I really don't understand how people can afford something one day, but not the day before. You can either afford it or you don't, your purchasing power should be exactly the same everyday if you have basic access to banking i.e. buy with a credit card and pay it off when you get your paycheck (thus not incurring any interest). I really don't get this.

Anyhow, impressive number for PS4, looking forward to NPD now.

RPGamer92

Banned
C'mon now, what is this?
The mega hiper full power priceless costumer friendly with best games launched in more countries had 1.2 million ahead of its full of shame competitor?

Or am I not seeing something or this is clearly not a number to be THAT proud of?
Dat post history

Pretty much what was expected. Still curious whether or not they can keep it up. If sales are still going at a good pace in March, then it can't really be argued that the console business is in trouble almost definitively. I'll wait and see what happens.

As an aside, my Wii U still seems to be working and playing the same quality games it has been, even if the PS4 is "killing" it in the sales charts. Go figure.

You guys have to read this 'article':

No, Sony Have Not Won the Console Wars

Today, Sony announced they sold 4.2 million PlayStation 4s worldwide in 2013. This is, inevitably, compared to the Xbox One, 3 million of which were sold in the same period (give or take a few days, based on release dates). Of course, everyone looks at these figures and thinks that Sony have clearly won the console wars. They’ve sold 1.2 million more consoles, after all! Game over!

Except…no. That’s a huge error in logic. Because what almost everyone is forgetting is the difference in price: the Xbox One costs $100 more. And basic economics tells us that when prices are higher, demand is lower. Obviously. So it would be ridiculous to expect the X1 to have sold as well as the PS4. These figures should surprise no one.

This decreased demand is made up for by the increased revenue, however. I’ve run the numbers, and calculated that Sony sold about $1.68 billion worth of consoles, whilst Microsoft sold about $1.50 billion. That’s assuming an average RRP of $399 and $499 respectively, which is obviously not correct (prices are higher in other territories). This is a different of $180 million: a not-insignificant difference, but hardly game-changing when we’re talking about billions. To put it into perspective, that difference is just 12% of Xbox One’s total revenue.

But that’s not all. Of course, Microsoft and Sony have different profit margins on their products. Microsoft make $28 per console, resulting in a rough profit estimate of $84 million. Meanwhile, Sony squeezes just $18 out of each PS4, leading to noticeably lower profits: just $75.6 million.

Now, I’d ask you to bear in mind that companies exist to make profits. That’s the end game: making lots of money. Not having loads of users. Not making the best games. Not having a marginally higher resolution and frame rate on Battlefield 7: Death Killing Edition. Making money. And what we see from these figures is that Microsoft are, at this point in time, making more money from Xbox One sales than Sony are from PS4 sales. Almost $10 million more. And I think those numbers do a much better job of showing the real winner of the console wars than some sales stats.
http://talkingship.com/wp/2014/01/07/no-sony-have-not-won-the-console-wars/

421599-major_nelson_copy.jpg

Guys, just because the Xbone "lost" doesn't mean the PS4 "won".

I think it's fair to say that both consoles are winners here. 7.2 million consoles combined in just over a month. The real winners here are console gamers... the losers? fanboys :p

Some fun facts:

Wii U shipped 3.09 million units in 6 weeks, priced at $299 with no other next gen competing with it. (That's shipped, not sold to consumers). Total cash laid by retailers = 923 million.

PS4 sold 4.2 million units in 6 weeks, priced at $399 with pretty stiff competition from Xbox One. Total cash spent by consumers = 1.68 billion.

Xbox One sold 3.0 million units in 5 weeks, priced at $499 with significantly strong competition from PS4, the favored console coming out of E3. Total cash spent by consumers = 1.5 billion

If the Wii U is inside, looking outward, you get the (mirrored) reflection of the Wii U that is transparent on the background. If then you are observing that image through a mirror, it reflects the Wii U so it is correct again.

Here I made a picture.

jb2bhQE5vZ19q2.png

My "The Wii U is a ghost" argument is better than that

If it was clear black, instead of translucent, it would pop out of the picture in front, and would look like it is actually inside, killing the effect. Add to that that if it would be a reflection, the buttons should be swapped (look at the abxy, and D-pad location) as well as the on screen letters saying ''wiiu''.
Lastly, look at the window bars in front of the pad. Soo, yeah, just a quick photoshop that might look a little too much like a reflection, but it is as clear as a blue skie how this picture is meant to be taken: Wiiu sitting out al alone in the rain, ignored.

Its not that hard to make it look like its outside in the rain. I did this in 5 minutes.

imeS8Gt6YjaPt.png

Papacheeks

Banned
I think it's fair to say that both consoles are winners here. 7.2 million consoles combined in just over a month. The real winners here are console gamers... the losers? fanboys :p

Some fun facts:

Wii U shipped 3.09 million units in 6 weeks, priced at $299 with no other next gen competing with it. (That's shipped, not sold to consumers). Total cash laid by retailers = 923 million.

PS4 sold 4.2 million units in 6 weeks, priced at $399 with pretty stiff competition from Xbox One. Total cash spent by consumers = 1.68 billion.

Xbox One sold 3.0 million units in 5 weeks, priced at $499 with significantly strong competition from PS4, the favored console coming out of E3. Total cash spent by consumers = 1.5 billion

No offence but the 349.99 Deluxe Sku is what sold the most of that 3 million Wii U's. So to me and this is just me talking, I think you should go by 349.99, since that was the one that sold the most. They got rid of the Basic Sku all together.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I never got caught up in console sale numbers before the next gen launch....

But dayum!! Kinda puts sales numbers of other current consoles in perspective...this is with it launching about 2 months ago. Selling more than their direct competition and still sold out in many places?

Wow.

Regardless... XBO and their sales are nothing to sneeze at.
Congrats to both....especially with articles saying console gaming is dying, or the articles about games not selling well recently. Now lets hope MS and Sony can deliver games, get games delivered by 3rd parties that help keep this trend going.

I wanna be part of the next gen revolution so bad. Now its time to go look at that CES stream. Only thing I can think of as a negative is the PS4 might not get a price drop anytime soon. That might be in MS's favor. Unless Sony start matching price drops tit for tat..

Maybe my math is off but if the PS4 sold 4.2 mill at $400 and the X-One sold 3+ mill at $500 aren't they almost the same figures?

Why would MS need to drop the price/Kinect? Or bundle it with a game for that matter? They're in the business of making money and right now Sony is not really making more than them despite being a hundred dollars cheaper.

Also, I'm aware of the supply constraints of Sony but MS has not released it's system in all areas as of yet. So while the PS4 will clearly be out front, and I'm sure will stay there due to the price, when MS does launch it will cut into the lead some.

gcubed

the stupidest line of thinking that permeates this board and Geis, is that something isn't in stock so it hasn't sold anything. Its baffling

Also, I'm aware of the supply constraints of Sony but MS has not released it's system in all areas as of yet. So while the PS4 will clearly be out front, and I'm sure will stay there due to the price, when MS does launch it will cut into the lead some.

why? besides just any kind of anemic pent up demand MS has in the rest of the world, they can't produce any more. I'm pretty sure Sony actually has more production at the moment with consoles being made in Japan.

Curufinwe

I admit, when people immediately said "I bet Sony's at 4 million" in the Xbox One sales thread I thought they were being a bit optimistic.

Xbox: On sale for 41 days in 2013
PS4: On sale for 48 days in 2013

3 million / 41 = 73,170 Xbox Ones sold / day
4.2 million / 48 = 87,500 PS4s sold / day

PS4 the fastest selling console of 2013.

Take that, Major Nelson.

It's 4.2 million till the 28th so only 44 days for the PS4. That means 95,454 units sold per day.

And unless I'm counting wrong it's only 40 for the Xbone, so 75,000 per day.

Drek

I've been reading GAF for a long time, but I never understood this. The picture is taken from the perspective of someone who is inside, looking outside (you see trees and the sky outside). We see the reflection of Wii U, which must therefore be inside as well.
Could someone please explain this to me?

I believe it originated as a play on depression commercials where the depressed individual is looking outside at a bleak, dreary world. In this case a gray, rainy day.

Good for the industry, and gamers, congrats to Sony, and since i didn't post in the MS thread for their numbers congrats to them too..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom