• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 supports only 4 controllers compared to XBO's 8

BigDug13

There's already a thread on XBO's 8 controllers, but I feel like this is thread worthy as I had assumed PS4 would support 7 controllers like PS3. I was wrong.

Only supporting one extra controller than a seven year old console isn’t exactly much to brag about is it? Well, you wouldn’t have thought so, but thanks to Shuhei Yoshida, President of Worldwide Studios at Sony, we now know that the PS4 only supports 4 controllers at any one time.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/xbox-one-8-controllers-ps4-only-4/

This could make XBO the definitive place for sports game house parties. (Not that those happen often, but still.)

For reference, these were the "greater than 4 controller" supported games for PS3 from launch through 2011:

2010 FIFA World Cup
3 on 3 NHL Arcade (6 players)
All-Pro Football 2K8
Bomberman Ultra
Buzz!: Quiz TV (requires 2 dongles for 5-8 players; can also be used with the PS2 buzzers)
Buzz!: Quiz World (requires 2 dongles for 5-8 players; can also be used with the PS2 buzzers)
FIFA 08, FIFA 09, FIFA 10, FIFA 11
FIFA Street 3
Hamsterball
NBA 2K7, NBA 2K8, NBA 2K9, NBA 2K10, NBA 2K11
NHL 08, NHL 09, NHL 10, NHL 11
NHL 2K8, NHL 2K9, NHL 2K10
PixelJunk Racers
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008, Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, Pro Evolution Soccer 2010, Pro Evolution Soccer 2011
Sky Fighter
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008, WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009, WWE Legends of WrestleMania, WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010, WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011 (6 players)
X-Men: Arcade (6 players)

Jonboy

Dang. Better cancel my pre-order.

Seriously though...I've never once had more than 4 controllers in use on a given system. I can't imagine what would require 8 players (aside from a sports game).

I think I've used three controllers one time total during my owning of a PS3 for 6 or 7 years. It was Little Big Planet.

Never did more than two for 360 and that was my main console this gen.

zroid

Banned
huh, that's odd

maybe PS4 assigns accessory devices separately from DualShock 4s? A Move Controller + Nav Controller counts as 2, and a blu-ray remote counts as one already, so those 4 slots could get filled up fast depending on your use case.

Revven

7 controller feature for PS3 was nigh unused, not surprised it's back down to 4. Local MP has died out anyway for most devs on PS360. Don't really see any reason to support more than 4, given the lack of local MP support nowadays.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The most obvious usage of >4 controllers is something like a trivia game or something like a music game.

Music game: Guitar, bass, drums, vocals, keyboards = 5.

Trivia game: No reason why 8 or 10 or 99 people can't simultaneously play something like Buzz.

tsab

That sucks. Fifa is a lot of fun on PS3 with 7-player local

edit:
so this gen the player number support is
XB1>WiiU>PS4 ?

Sony am cry

zewone

I never play any local multiplayer games so they may as well have said that the Xbone supports 100 controllers and PS4 is 2 and it would have made no difference to me.

this seems as moot a pissing contest as the "PS4 friend list has room for 2000, Xbox One only has room for one thousand friends" thing.

What game would need 8 players?

This really isn't a big deal. I only ever reached 4 controllers when I played Sports Champion and had 4 Move controllers attached.

Hardly a big deal but giving developers more options for unique experiences is never a bad thing. That said, I doubt we'll see anyone developing a local multiplayer game with more than 4 people in mind.

Somnid

Sony and MS have dismal local multiplayer and next gen games will just ask you to hook up another system in another room to play over the internet anyway. As awesome as Wii U's 5 player stuff is it doesn't matter for these systems, especially not when online sub money is on the line.

Man

Bluetooth bandwidth (per channel) reduces the more devices you add.

It's why the DualShock 4 speaker sounds of at 32khz with two or less controllers and at 16khz with three+.

Microsoft don't have audio streaming to their traditional controller. Neither does it have gyro or support for absolute positioning nor a trackpad. :(

oVerde

Banned
posted it over the other thread, and would love Microsoft Studios to revive with eight controllers support

sumo.jpg

This was mayhem, crazyness and fun to watch too!

Skeff

Disapointing to go from 7->4 I suppose But I've literally never used more than 4.

Pre-order retained.

XeNoN89

Banned
Only ever had a single controller and a bluetooth blu-ray remote on my PS3. There's no need for more than 4.

BigDug13

Not many sports game fans here I guess. It is potentially a big deal for sports game fans. It is not a big deal for me, but it is a big deal for some.

And if a game like Bomberman comes out that is just better with 5 than it is with 4, it's disappointing news.

Does it honestly use it? Outside of Sport games and maybe some sort of specialized arcade game. not sure how it would work out.

Now if there was ever a specialized accessory that would split the video signal to 8 monitors (at a low resolution, just like split screen), you could make a case for LAN-style console parties where everyone brings a small TV. Doubt that would ever happen as I don't see it being a product with great margins.

I thought local multiplayer beyond 4P died last gen? So, with X1's 8 controllers, Kinect could detect up to 8 people for quite possibly the most unnecessarily crowded party game ever created?

4 controllers is fine. Particularly since most things are online MP anyway.

Top Bottom