• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 supports only 4 controllers compared to XBO's 8

Purexed

Banned
FIFA's shit with 4v4. All the players end up out of position because everyone's chasing the ball.

If there's 8 people around your house who want to play FIFA, 2v2 mini tournament's better.

Basketball might be good for 8 players?

Did 6 man NBA 2k13 at a fight party once, epic time!

adversary

Banned
I am kind of disappointing, but you only ever see that many players for Sport / Party type of games which I don't play much of anyway. Only game I played more than 4 players this gen was the X-Men arcade game.

I'm mostly curious about stuff like rock band. I mean, I know the series has been temporarily put on shelves, but hopefully it'l lbe feasible on a console with only 4 different controllers possible. I know there were limitations when it came to the Xbox's version of Rock Band 3 when it came to having a full band, so I hope well' be able to use the Keyboard, Drum, Guitar, Bass, Microphone and whatever new plastic crap then invent next.

This sucks but I see why they did it.
I never understood why people didn't try to make more side by side multiplayer games.

Can you imagine a Bomberman game with 7 players. Excuse me I need new pants. You should change yours as well.

Oh wow. I just realized that I have Bomberman. Looks like I know what I'm doing next weekend!

BTM

My friends and I could actually use more than 4 when playing sports games such as FIFA. Glad the Xbox One supports it.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
Since every console has USB ports, there's always options for expansion if needed.

Case in point, Buzz! used a set of quiz controllers that used a dongle, and it was affordable too. I see Sony bringing those back at some point this coming generation.

If there really was ever such a need, there's a way.

Also, I really hate to say it, but it would probably be more enjoyable to just have 2 consoles with 4 players each on 2 TVs than everyone playing on 1 screen. It's costly, I understand, but 8 players on 1 TV is a bit ridiculous, even for things like FIFA. Have a friend bring over the extra stuff needed.

kitch9

Banned
This is also another reason why I've had the Xbox One ordered for day one, because to me Sony has always made big huge promises and has always under delivered. They have great first party studios that put out amazing games like The Last of Us so I always end up getting the system later in the generation but for me, Microsoft knows how to deliver a good solid experience that has multiple offerings. I'm still pissed about the DLNA and the system not being able to play MP3 files. That should be a standard feature and I still have issues with Sony Music being an owner of Vevo. Yes, they're a multinational business but that just means they think with other parts of their business model in mind just as Microsoft does and Microsoft is a Software company.

Lol.

EGM1966

It's a difference I think that speaks to hopes and expectations for each console.

MS clearly has an idea of many people playing in party environment while Sony seems to be basing their approach off more common numbers.

Personally I really doubt there will be many instances where more than 4 would be needed - TBH I've only very occasionally hooked up 4 controllers at once and never more than that.

2 is the most common for some local coop fun with a friend for me.

I doubt this is going to matter a whole lot particularly early on but maybe MS can use it later with suitable party games.

Why would you ever use eight controllers.

how shitty would local 8 player online be.

You'd have to shove all your faces in front of the monitor to see your hud.

I was genuinely excited for the 7-controller feature on the PS3. I anticipated really novel multiplayer games since the standard 4-player splitscreen format wouldn't work anymore.

Not only did 7-player local multi never happen (with the exception of the X-men arcade release), but we even lost what we already had with the 4-player splitscreen because devs couldn't be arsed to implement online with more than one person locally. BS.

So with a heavy heart I have to say I don't really see the 8-controller support on the XB1 as that big a deal. No game will use it anyway...

Jedi2016

I can't imagine this is something that's ever been a serious selling point for a system.

How many people here even know someone who's ever used more than four controllers local? Because I've never met anyone who has, and I certainly never have.

I can't imagine this is something that's ever been a serious selling point for a system.

How many people here even know someone who's ever used more than four controllers local? Because I've never met anyone who has, and I certainly never have.

I did 3 once on Warhawk, that was awesome.

I dunno, even for sports games, my friends and I prefer the direct 1 on 1 competition.

GodofWine

On behalf of all octopus families, I think I can safely say PS4 pre-order cancelled.

But Octodad?? :)

Could you imagine owning 8 controls at once, and using them often, assuming each one fails during the life of the console, thats 1000 on controllers...ONE THOUSAND. I know 8 player games are a BYOC thing, but still.

Ive played 4 man wrestling games, and motorstorm and wahawk 4 player split screen, and really cant imagine ever going over that.

Redshirt

Banned
I'd didn't read every post, so apologies if this has been mentioned:

I read that Xbox One will be able to use SmartGlass as additional inputs, so 8 controllers and 16 SG devices.

I suspect PS4 will be able to do the same.

That doesn't help much with sports games and the like, but it would work great for trivia games, and I wonder if Rockband and such could take advantage of that.

joeblow

I haven't read the entire thread, but I wonder how this affects using multiple controller types on one console. For instance, on my PS3, I have two DS3s, two Moves and a couple of DJ Hero thingies assigned to ports, not to mention a Bluetooth remote.

Will this kind of arrangement be compromised on the PS4, or are we only talking about four controllers maximum can be active at one time?

That really blows
, said no one ever.

MNkMhXzl.jpg

No. of Controllers: 10
No. of Fucks given: 1

Certinty

Kinda sucks, I've had a shitload of fun on Fifa with more than just 3 friends.

Oh well, 4 is still good enough I suppose.

Top Bottom