• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 supports only 4 controllers compared to XBO's 8

old

This a great feature for holding fighting game tournaments. Everybody can bring their own stick and we won't have to reconfigure buttons before each match.

sono

I used 4 once playing LBP with family, which was cool. Cant see how more would be practical though.

This makes things pretty tough. With PS4 I get more power and better graphics for less money, non paywalled apps, and a better value games-wise for the service. However I'm not so sure it's worth it when I know I'll be missing out on all that 8 player fun. Decisions, decisions.

klier

This makes things pretty tough. With PS4 I get more power and better graphics for less money, non paywalled apps, and a better value games-wise for the service. However I'm not so sure it's worth it when I know I'll be missing out on all that 8 player fun. Decisions, decisions.

Haha, for real. Useless feature.

Sony, my wallet is ready!

This is actually kind of huge, when I was in a highschool Junior as I'm sure many of you were as well. The PS3 launching for those who had it got it because they new PS3 as a sports console. At least, that was the case of my friends. All my friends that had the PS3 got it for the sports games and we would play multiple matches with more than 4 controllers sometimes. 3 vs 3 on FIFA was awesome and we all had a blast. I can see this being an even bigger blow back for the European markets were FIFA is so huge(and it's gaining popularity in the US). Not only that the football legends features is exclusive to the xbox one. Xbox Attacked the Play Station brand over sports and are gaining a foothold. Just my opinion, but I think this is bigger than we think for the average consumer who wants to hold a FIFA or sports game party and sports games are system sellers for the mass market.

snorggy

i've only ever used 3 at a time.. but that's pretty close to 4... preorder dangerously close to being cancelled.

Wow that's cool for Xbox one. I can't think of i time I've used more than 4 and even that's a challenge to find for local play, but the option is stil nice to have.

Bancho

This is kinda disappointing for me. Pretty much everyday at 2pm at work 6 of us play Fifa on our lunch break, kinda ritual now. When we get the PS4 in the canteen this means only 4 of us can play instead.

This is bullshit. I guess rank will have to pull in this situation!

synce

I don't even know anyone who knows anyone who's actually played an 8 player game. How would that even work? Bring your own controller? No way I'm buying 7 controllers for a roster update

This is also another reason why I've had the Xbox One ordered for day one, because to me Sony has always made big huge promises and has always under delivered. They have great first party studios that put out amazing games like The Last of Us so I always end up getting the system later in the generation but for me, Microsoft knows how to deliver a good solid experience that has multiple offerings. I'm still pissed about the DLNA and the system not being able to play MP3 files. That should be a standard feature and I still have issues with Sony Music being an owner of Vevo. Yes, they're a multinational business but that just means they think with other parts of their business model in mind just as Microsoft does and Microsoft is a Software company.

This is massively disappointing as someone who has friends over and plays 5 player Wrestling games.

Thing is, the youngest of which is like 10...we can't trick her by giving her a Dreamcast controller and pretending she's playing with us anymore

This is also another reason why I've had the Xbox One ordered for day one, because to me Sony has always made big huge promises and has always under delivered. They have great first party studios that put out amazing games like The Last of Us so I always end up getting the system later in the generation but for me, Microsoft knows how to deliver a good solid experience that has multiple offerings. I'm still pissed about the DLNA and the system not being able to play MP3 files. That should be a standard feature and I still have issues with Sony Music being an owner of Vevo. Yes, they're a multinational business but that just means they think with other parts of their business model in mind just as Microsoft does and Microsoft is a Software company.

What does any of this have to do with the number of controllers that can be connected to the console at once?

The most obvious usage of >4 controllers is something like a trivia game or something like a music game.

Music game: Guitar, bass, drums, vocals, keyboards = 5.

Trivia game: No reason why 8 or 10 or 99 people can't simultaneously play something like Buzz.

This sucks. Guess PS4 won't be the goto console for trivia games.

Anyone know how this effects move? surely it doesn't mean the PS4 now only supports 2 move players(nunchuks take up a bluetooth spot)

Nonsense. Buzz didn't even use the base PS3 controller interface, guys.

It used a wireless USB dongle that supported up to 4 wireless Buzz controllers. When you wanted to go to 8-player, you had to add another dongle.

No reason PS4 couldn't do the same thing, except with Superspeed USB now, a single dongle could serve many, many more Buzz controllers.

Bgamer90

Banned
8 player local FIFA is fun though it has been almost 10 years since I've done that with my friends (PS2; 2 multitaps).

The instant sign on / facial recognition feature of kinect on the Xbox One will definitely help with this since just getting everyone to go to their correct team/side can become a chore.

Bgamer90

Banned

Heh, some of you guys can't resist making anything (no matter how small) into a console war.

Respawn

Banned

so sweet. this is for you
166352.gif

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm not sure if it is addressed in the topic seeing as it has been resurrected, but the PS3 only supported 7 wireless controllers, but you can say play buzz with 8 people each with their own wired buzzer, and I imagine the same is possible with normal wired controllers.

So, could this not be the same on the PS4, we know it only supports 4 wireless controllers, but could it not support up to 8 with an extra 4 wired ones or 4 with a usb dongle for say football games and similar big local multiplayer games? Has anyone asked Yosh that question?

8 player games sounded fun when I was 8. If I know 7 dudes who want to play nba 2k14 all at once, I'm gonna ask their lazy asses to play 4 on 4 at a gym

Pain

Banned
Oh it's you again.

I don't really get what you're trying to say here. What's your point and how does it relate to the thread?

We need smileys on Gaf for posts like this.

Aside from singstar and games like buzz and wii sports, there's never any use for 4 players at the same time. So can't say I ever really thought about this, and don't quite see why would it be a big deal to have 8 players available, since the scenario where that comes into play should be extremely rare. Online stole the soul of local multiplayer anyway.

Pain

Banned
What?! Wow. For what console? All?!

Oh and yeah, it really sucks knowing I can finally play at 10080p and not getting 4 or more players.

Weird how MS and Sony consoles are so alike yet so unalike. Loving it.
I'm assuming all. I guess that "new engine" came with sacrifices.

milkham

I think the last time I played with more than 4 players was hooking up two gamecubes for 8 player double dash. What games have support for more than 4 players?

This is also another reason why I've had the Xbox One ordered for day one, because to me Sony has always made big huge promises and has always under delivered. T

When did Sony promised more then 4 controllers?

hey have great first party studios that put out amazing games like The Last of Us so I always end up getting the system later in the generation but for me, Microsoft knows how to deliver a good solid experience that has multiple offerings.

What the fuck is Microsoft delivering here other then a weaker system at an higher price?

I'm still pissed about the DLNA and the system not being able to play MP3 files. That should be a standard feature

You do realize that The XBone does not do this ether But the PS4 will support it , just not at launch.

and I still have issues with Sony Music being an owner of Vevo. Yes, they're a multinational business but that just means they think with other parts of their business model in mind just as Microsoft does and Microsoft is a Software company.

Seriously...what does any of this has to do with the PS4 and XBone.

Dude, this entire post is just LOL.

Apath

This is one of those features that is nice to have but will hardly get any use. Would I like the PS4 to support more than 4 controllers? Sure. Will it ever be a problem if it doesn't? Maybe one gaming session out of a 1,000.
What the fuck is Microsoft delivering here other then a weaker system at an higher price
A system that can use up to eight controllers I guess..

8 player games sounded fun when I was 8. If I know 7 dudes who want to play nba 2k14 all at once, I'm gonna ask their lazy asses to play 4 on 4 at a gym
Hilarious.

Here's how it started for me. Its getting cold here. Me and my friends are all smoke up so we like to stay outdoors.

With winter approaching, its hard to do outdoor activities without hitting a bar. Luckily, my basement is big enough to house a party of 8 easily. Me and my 5 friends got hooked to the idea of gaming on Fridays ever since GTAV came out.

1 player GTA V lead to 2 player Tekken 5.
2 player Tekken 5 lead to 4 player Mortal Kombat 9.
4 player Mortal Kombat 9 lead to 6 player NHL 14.

That is going to lead to 6 player FIFA 14, WWE, and many more.

4 player is still not bad, and as everyone said that its pretty ideal. I'm open to the idea of 4 players playing and other 2 watching until the round is over (just like how we played MK9), but the fact that XBO can now do 8 just makes that deal so much sweeter.

All is good, I suppose.

Acrylic7

This sucks but I see why they did it.
I never understood why people didn't try to make more side by side multiplayer games.

Can you imagine a Bomberman game with 7 players. Excuse me I need new pants. You should change yours as well.

xBuTcHeRx

I think the DLNA feature will come at a future FW update. It has to.

Mask

Kinda sucks. At least games with a LAN option will still be playable with 8 people, and there's always online.

Maybe they can up the limit in a patch? Or maybe even release a multi-tap like the PS1? I wouldn't mind having a boomerang-style multi-tap
like the old gray PS1 tap.

The PS3 supported 7 I think and I had at times used 4 which was 2 Move controllers and 2 Nav controllers. I think on my X360 I used 4 and that was for Rock Band. In other words this won't be a big issue to most people. I guess the upside is with Smartglass and how it can handle many devices at once but again who's going to?

Top Bottom