• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 supports only 4 controllers compared to XBO's 8

Sad :(,

3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4 FIFA and NHL are a big thing at work during lunch.

Will have to buy a copy for work and one for home.

Exactly! At work we have a ps3 and 3vs 3 on lunch is a must. Just to answer some things:

+ "hey, having 8 controllers is way expensive" . Not really, the idea is each of your friends bringing its own controller.
+ "hey, having screen split by 8 is a mess" Sure! but sports, fighting, social, music among other games allows playing on same screen.

PS: yey, finally im allowed to post on neoGAF! :)

I barely have more than one controller at home. Why do I even need 8 in the first place?

When placed in position on your bed during lovemaking, they can collect user data and Kinect can make recommendations about how to better perform in order to maximize your and your partner's sexual experience. Also the NSA will be confiscating the data for their own perverted uses. Sickos.

I really hope I don't get modded for that....

Godslay

Banned
Nailed it ~

Not so fast!

iuopShDQhJxjS.png

Joco

I can't see anyone really caring about this. The only games that would maybe work would be sports titles like Madden of FIFA, and even then, having eight players try to play on one TV would be a complete clusterf*ck.

I honestly had no clue this was even possible. Kind of a total non-issue really especially since no one even bothers to support split-screen these days.

Tbh, I think I've only used 2 controllers at once this gen a handful of times. I didn't even have 2 for my PS3.

4 player Halo and 2v2 FIFA is the only time I've used more than 2 this gen.

4 vs 4 Killer Instinct confirmed!

I lol'd. That'd be horrible.

At the end of the day, what does this even matter? I can't think of any game that supports more than 4 humans in a non split screen game other than sports, but fuck sports.

There's no advantage to be had with 8 controllers.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I didn't even know the PS3 supported 7 controllers.

On the one hand, more options is always better. On the other hand, I couldn't give fewer fucks about Fifa or other sports games.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I don't even have a second controller for my PS3 that I've had since 2009 and haven't even had a second synched up. I know I am in the minority for caring but seeing that list of games in the OP makes me wonder hey they bother anyway.

Im fine with 4 controllers. No ones going to use 8. and really outside of Nintendo local multiplayer is practically dead. I only ever had 1 PS3 controller and 2 PS2/PS1 controllers and hardly ever used them. Only systems I have more than 2 controllers are my Nintendo ones so I really dont see this as a problem.

waypoetic

Banned
The PS3 supported 7 aaand that never happened here, i think i've had three people playing simultaneously on my PS4 and that's it.

this is such a non issue for me. 4 is the perfect max a console will ever need. i just use the one really. especially what with online gaming. play with friends in different places. or if we ever played in the same place we just played side by side on our own boxes.

Why is Buzz in the list in the OP? Kind of silly to assume that those USB controllers with five buttons each and wires would suddenly no longer work, and the wireless version of those are essentially the same thing.

The only time there have been more than four controllers for a single system in my house was during OG Halo: Combat Evolved system link parties wayyyyy back in the day, and obviously those weren't all on the same system at once.

Neat feature for XBOne, but not a system seller at all for me. I can barely ever get eight of my friends online at once anymore, let alone under the same roof and wanting to play the same game at the same time.

BigDug13

Why is Buzz in the list in the OP? Kind of silly to assume that those USB controllers with five buttons each and wires would suddenly no longer work, and the wireless version of those are essentially the same thing.

I didn't make the list. It was the only thing I could find on Google. It was a list done in 2011 and I don't know every game on it.

And this topic was merely to deliver the bad news to the .5% of people who do 3vs3 FIFA parties and such. It's definitely not a game changer by any means and I never thought it was. But it does irritate me when a console's successor REDUCES a feature that already existed on a previous console. It affects the upcoming Gaikai multiplayer for older games, and it affects people who have gotten used to using more than 4 controllers (.5% of people if that.)

MilkLizard

Sucks for the people who would use it for FIFA or whatever games it actually makes sense. Personally, I don't care at all. I only need 1.

Singleplayer ftw.

vall03

I want to comment on how disappointed I am with the news, but I am more disappointed at the posts here. Gaming sure has changed... *sigh*

kurbaan

Banned
Wow this is a massive disappointment. Honestly if it was not for Naughty Dog and couple other Sony studios this would be a preorder killer. The main use of my ps3 and all my friends has been 7 player vs on FIFA and sometime 3 v 3 for NBA.

I hope they fix this because it's bluetooth should support 7 screw the DS4 lights which are pretty much useless. If not might have to get an Xbone just for Fifa.

Xamdou

Wow this is a massive disappointment. Honestly if it was not for Naughty Dog and couple other Sony studios this would be a preorder killer. The main use of my ps3 and all my friends has been 7 player vs on FIFA and sometime 3 v 3 for NBA.

I hope they fix this because it's bluetooth should support 7 screw the DS4 lights which are pretty much useless. If not might have to get an Xbone just for Fifa.

Them huge DS4 lights at least adds glare on your glossy TV's, really nice feature.

Morokh

With the focus on Online gaming, and the dwindling number of two player co-op, and 4 player games, that's hardly a big deal for Sony, or a selling point for MS.

dock

I'm just hearing about this news now, and I'm really disappointed.

As someone that keeps ten Sega Saturn controllers around and requsit multitaps for Bomberman and Deathtank, I've always been a proponent of multiplayer games using more than four players.

I was hoping that with the indie game focus on PS4 we'd see more of the likes of Bomberman and Deathtank with 6-8 player support.

odhiex

IMO..

2 is okay for a buddy co-op gaming... or for lovers

4 would be ideal for couch co-ops/multi-player gaming.

8 would be very chaotic and it could be very fun as well... but I don't think of that many popular scenarios for it to be a huge deal breaker ... if so, PS3 (with 7 controllers support) is the king of the local multi-player this gen?

So... it's nice that Microsoft will supports 8, and Sony only 4... not a huge deal for me.

So is this because of the whole LED Light thing? Seems to me it is. Bluetooth can support connectivity with 7 devices, so Sony could've easily stuck with that number.

Wi-Fi Direct, similar to Xbox One, was indeed the way to go but perhaps they stuck with Bluetooth due to Move controller being Bluetooth compatible. Bad call IMO especially due to bandwidth difference between the two ("250Mbps compared to Bluetooth's 3Mbps", according to CNET). The fact that it supports Bluetooth 2.1 and not 3.0 is also quite silly, with 4.0 on the horizon.

With that said, I do indeed own more than 4 Dualshock 3 controllers (and every other console generation prior that supported more than 4 players). I've heavily enjoyed it in sports titles and will miss this feature.

zap

The first time I played FIFA 13 at a friend's place with 6 other people was amazing. I am very disappointed that this won't be possible on the PS4 :(

Top Bottom