• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 supports only 4 controllers compared to XBO's 8

I rarely use 2 controllers. I don't even have 4 controllers. Besides Fifa, I don't see any other game using 8 controllers. Also lack the friends to use all 8 controllers. :( Oh well, single player ftw.

Grieves

I don't even have seven friends IRL!

I've got four controllers for the PS3 and think only three at the most have been used at the same time (for FIFA).

This is looking like a non-problem for most people but I guess cosole warriors will still use it.

Eon-Blue

Neo Member
Good thing I dont use more than 2 controllers at a time on current consoles. Ps4 is sounding like more of the same but better.

Chill Dude

Neo Member
I can't be the only one that thinks this is all a little bit something and nothing.

I mean 8 controllers is great but can't say I've ever used more than 4.

THEaaron

That's why they need to upclock to 1.75ghz.

No big deal, imho.

Never played games with more than 4 simultaneously connected controllers and I don't have the intention to do so in the future.

Metzhara

I've never cared if a game has more than 4 controllers but when PS3 announced 7 there were people I know who wouldn't shut up at how much more superior the console was for it. I wonder if they'll care about this info now?

I doubt it. They saved $100 dollars.
And the cost of 6 more controllers.
Or so they'll tell themselves. -Adam

Say for some crazy reason 8 player local multiplayer becomes all the rage, it's only a patch away right, or is there more to it than that?

ElRenoRaven

You know I just don't give a damn. I didn't give a damn when PS3 supported 7 and I don't give a damn with the Xbox One supporting 8. As others have mentioned there were no games that remotely used 7 so what makes anyone think a game will use 8? I just don't get why either company has bothered to try and use that as a selling point.

Sez

4 players is a must, but 8 players is useless and nobody cares about it.

1. You need a big room
2. You need a big TV
3. You need to buy 8 controllers
4. Only sport games can be played of 8 players
5. PS1, PS2 supported 8 players. PS3 up to 7 players. Practically nobody ever used that.
6. If I had enough money I will choose to have 2 tvs with 2 consoles and 4 controllers each. This way we could play shooter games by teams.
7. This feature is not a seller point. Nobody is going to think: "which one should i buy, x1 or ps4? ill go with the x1 because it supports 8 controllers".

Kashinoda

Banned
Responses on here are hilarious, yeah some of you don't care good for you. There are enough people who use the feature though.

It's an unnecessary downgrade, if they're still using Bluetooth then why not continue to support 7 controllers?

Played so much 3v3 (and 3v4) FIFA at Uni this year, it was a massive part of the lifestyle here. Sports games are huge, let's not pretend they aren't.

It's not a game changing move but I'm extremely disappointed.

GetemMa

Preorder Cancelled.

cYfrSul.gif

Can't wait for all those 8 player local MP game modes on XBONE FTW!

8 people in one room, sounds great

You've never been in a room with 7 people or more? it's not bad. it happens alot if you are social, and in regards to gaming, happens alot if you are in gaming communities.....

Never even used 2 on my PS3.

Its funny I keep seeing posts like this, knowing damn well if a console only had one controller support...shit would hit the roof.

Zoe

As long as the remote (assuming there is one) no longer takes up a slot, it's no biggie to me.

Minyobi

While this doesn't affect me in any way, I'm sure there are some people out there who aren't taking this news lightly.

I've never cared if a game has more than 4 controllers but when PS3 announced 7 there were people I know who wouldn't shut up at how much more superior the console was for it. I wonder if they'll care about this info now?

I doubt it. They saved $100 dollars.
And the cost of 6 more controllers.
Or so they'll tell themselves. -Adam

6 more controllers would be 10 players what are you even saying

Also I understand the "I only play by myself" crowd but thats not the point, 8 controllers is a better feature in a checklist even if it'll be widely ignored

Phades

You've never been in a room with 7 people or more? it's not bad. it happens alot if you are social, and in regards to gaming, happens alot if you are in gaming communities.....
Most people don't all squeeze into the same couch in front of a single TV in social settings. Party games are a sitting on the floor/standing kind of affair to be honest. You aren't comparing what you think you are comparing.

Its funny I keep seeing posts like this, knowing damn well if a console only had one controller support...shit would hit the roof.

It is simple metrics. Even before considring what % of the population even utilizes that kind of a feature, just break it down to the number of users required to even make it work in the first place. Getting 1 buddy over to plop down on the couch and play a fighting game, or some co-op on a 3rd person shooter is easy. Getting 7 other people, not so much and would be more common at something like a community center or convention.

I played 3 on 3 NHL 14 on PS3 yesterday. It was one of the most fun I've ever had playing that game. I am upset that PS4 cannot support more than 4 players because we all decided to make this a norm i.e. Friday Night Gaming. Its one of the reasons why my PS3 will always be connected to my TV. I guess we will have to set up teams of 2.

:(

Orbis

In the UK you can barely fit 4 people in the average sized room. Nah but seriously, it's clearly a negative thing to take a step backwards like that. There's no positive spin to put on this news. Some people would be disappointed.

Troll

Banned
I played 3 on 3 NHL 14 on PS3 yesterday. It was one of the most fun I've ever had playing that game. I am upset that PS4 cannot support more than 4 players. Its one of the reasons why my PS3 will always be connected to my TV.

:(

It's never too late to buy a different console or just to get both if you can swing it.

vercity82

Aint it because on PS4 its 4 different users can be signed in to get trophies where 8box is just 8 unique players under one tag?

daripad

The problem is that most gamed have ignored the local multiplaye experience, focusing on online play. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing, but having th option to pmay locally would be nice.

Dat necro bump. But I mean really, the only games that can ever take advantage of 8 players are sports games and like party games but blah blah few n far between blah blah

LAA

As much as I'd like the option to have 8 controllers... I've never been in a situation to need more than 4 controllers on a console before, and I try to avoid 4 player splitscreen when I can, ha ha.

Put of curiosity... does the X1 controller even have player LED's...? I thought it was just a solid white Xbox logo at the top now?

Midou

I admit, that does suck, I am not going to justify it.

XBO: 1
PS4: 25

:p

Edit: didn't notice old thread, thought someone wanted to bring it up cause of slew of bad XBO news as of late.

Not many sports game fans here I guess. It is potentially a big deal for sports game fans. It is not a big deal for me, but it is a big deal for some.

And if a game like Bomberman comes out that is just better with 5 than it is with 4, it's disappointing news.

I'm a huge sports fan, two controllers are all you need. All of my friends are competitive and enjoy playing one on one, tournament style. four vs four would be incredibly messy.

BigDug13

I'm a huge sports fan, two controllers are all you need. All of my friends are competitive and enjoy playing one on one, tournament style. four vs four would be incredibly messy.

Well you can look through this thread and see all kinds of Europeans talking about their FIFA parties. People bring their own controllers and they can play 7 players.

But yeah it's rare but it happens. Almost exclusively for sports games though.

4 on 4 is amazing when your friends are not competitive and are not familiar with the game. Its a great way to ensuring everyone is having fun without being creamed.

NHL 14 was great because we played with NHL 94 Anniversary Mode with all rules practically disabled and simple controls. Whether you're skating, shooting, fighting; everyone is having a ball.

We were also playing 2v2 Mortal Kombat before I fired up NHL. We had a lot of fun in that too, but there is always this waiting game when its time to hand over the controller.

CF22

The only game I remember using a split screen with the PS3 was GT5 Prologue when that came out. With online multiplayer local multiplayer is almost dead. That said I did enjoy playing with family and friends when I was a kid.

kitch9

Banned
In the UK you can barely fit 4 people in the average sized room. Nah but seriously, it's clearly a negative thing to take a step backwards like that. There's no positive spin to put on this news. Some people would be disappointed.

I'll bet the 4 people this will affect will be really disappointed.

Poor them.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I think the only friggin' games at launch that support even 4 players are indie titles.

What the hell happened man?

scoobs

I cannot imagine anyone ever actually using 7 controllers. That is insane. Thats like $420 in controllers :p

Afrikan

it is just unfortunate that after we are finally going to have consistent 1080p sports games, that the PS4 will not support more than 4 players.

you could finally play FIFA or NBA 2K14 with a farther away view and almost everyone would be able to see their player.

but like most said, how often do you have 7 other friends over to play?

if it is true that on PS4, 4 different gamers can sign in to their accounts...then I think that was a better investment..and if on PS4 if you can have those 4 local different gamers play as a team, against others online....then that is even more sick!

Gleethor

Anyone made a "kinect turns off tv when 8 people are in the room because not enough media licenses were purchased" joke yet?

Top Bottom