• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marketshare is more than just systems sold, it's about software too. The real cash is off royalties on 3rd party games where MS had that advantage in the US & UK but won't this time around.

Not to mention XBLG and PS+ numbers. We've already seen an increase in PS+ numbers now that it's mandatory on PS4. I would think a lot of former XBLG members will now be switching to Sony, which means MS' revenue from XBLG subs will decrease this gen.

Bgamer90

Banned
That doens't really matter though. Yes, it's selling more than the X360, but that's only because of the huge launch, which I believe wasn't possible back in the day due to lower production.

The Xbox One would be breaking records for a console at launch overall if it wasn't for the PS4 so I would say that it matters. Both consoles have done better than many expected them to.

Xbox 360 did have production issues but the Xbox One selling more than it isn't just due to that -- especially considering that the Xbox One is the most expensive console of its gen right now. The Xbox brand is more popular now than it was back in 2005/2006 and I would even go as far as to say that the launch line up was better in comparison to the 360.

Soon enough, it'll start tracking below the 360. Even the Wii U started out big and was probably tracking ahead of the Wii for a month or two. The X1's managed to trail ahead for longer, but it will fall behind, especially since it's practically irrelevent outside NA and it won't sell as well as the 360 did in NA. So yes, tracking ahead of the 360 doesn't really mean much.

When will that happen though? The Xbox One is at about 2.25 million in overall NA sales right now in less than 5 months. The Xbox 360 didn't reach that in NA until it's very first July (in 2006). I can't see things becoming worse as we move to the Fall + Xmas season when many big name games will be coming out. If anything sales should improve when it comes to NA.

Either way, it's going to be an incredibly rough gen for MS, especially since they rely on third party exclusives to support their meager first party efforts, something that'll be hard to secure (or at least much more expensive) with the X1 trailing behind by a considerable amount.

Really can't say this yet. They have new IPs planned for this gen and if anything, them not being able to rely on third party exclusives will give them more of a want to make exclusive games for the console to be more appealing. The 2014-2015 exclusive lineup seems solid already and that's just based on the games we already know about. Not the games that still haven't been revealed yet.

Not to mention XBLG and PS+ numbers. We've already seen an increase in PS+ numbers now that it's mandatory on PS4. I would think a lot of former XBLG members will now be switching to Sony, which means MS' revenue from XBLG subs will decrease this gen.

Not necessarily. There could still be more XBLG subscribers this gen in comparison to last especially since it's even more of a necessity to have it this gen. Over 50% of PS4 owners have PS+ and I'm expecting the percentage to be even higher for Xbox One users with XBLG due to how much the Xbox One relies on it (the system is pretty much gimped in features without XBLG).

The Xbox One could have say, 50 million overall console sales by the end of the gen while the Xbox 360 had more than 80 million its respective gen. If less than half of Xbox 360 users had XBLG during its gen while the majority of Xbox One owners have XBLG during its gen, then that would mean more people having XBLG on the Xbox One in comparison to the Xbox 360 even if the Xbox One sells less than its predecessor overall.

I mean, look at the PS2 and PS3. PS3 still had far more people playing online than the PS2 even though many PS2 gamers moved to the 360 & the PS3 sold less than the PS2 simply because online gaming became more popular and there were more benefits in connecting the PS3 online vs. connecting the PS2 online (especially later on in the previous gen when PSN got much better).

The Xbox One would be breaking records for a console at launch overall if it wasn't for the PS4 so I would say that it matters. Both consoles have done better than many expected them to.

Xbox 360 did have production issues but the Xbox One selling more than it isn't just due to that -- especially considering that the Xbox One is the most expensive console of its gen right now. The Xbox brand is more popular now than it was back in 2005/2006 and I would even go as far as to say that the launch line up was better in comparison to the 360.

When will that happen though? The Xbox One is at about 2.25 million in overall NA sales right now in less than 5 months. The Xbox 360 didn't reach that in NA until it's very first July (in 2006). I can't see things becoming worse as we move to the Fall + Xmas season when many big name games will be coming out. If anything sales should improve when it comes to NA.

Really can't say this yet. They have new IPs planned for this gen and if anything, them not being able to rely on third party exclusives will give them more of a want to make exclusive games for the console to be more appealing. The 2014-2015 exclusive lineup seems solid already and that's just based on the games we already know about. Not the games that still haven't been revealed yet.

Not necessarily. There could still be more XBLG subscribers this gen in comparison to last especially since it's even more of a necessity to have it this gen. Over 50% of PS4 owners have PS+ and I'm expecting the percentage to be even higher for Xbox One users with XBLG due to how much the Xbox One relies on it (the system is pretty much gimped in features without XBLG).

The Xbox One could have say, 50 million overall console sales by the end of the gen while the Xbox 360 had 80 million in its respective gen. If less than half of Xbox 360 users had XBLG during its gen while the majority of Xbox One owners have XBLG during its gen, then that would mean more people having XBLG on the Xbox One in comparison to the Xbox 360 even if the Xbox One sells less than its predecessor overall.

I mean, look at the PS2 and PS3. PS3 still had far more people playing online than the PS2 even though many PS2 gamers moved to the 360 & the PS3 sold less than the PS2 simply because online gaming became more popular and there were more benefits in connecting the PS3 online vs. connecting the PS2 online (especially later on in the previous gen when PSN got much better).
you have a lot of faith in the Xbox brand, but for me, I don't see them both selling 50 million again..I don't think that many people are going to support both, I think they are just too similar, one will take off and I think tablet/PC/VR or something disruptive is going to take off.

We'll see though...anything can happen

Tsundere

Banned

Microsoft still relies heavily on third party exclusives...

- Ryse
- Dead Rising 3
- Killer Instinct (developed by third party)
- Rumored Platinum game
- Quantum Break

etc. etc.

Lemondish

Microsoft still relies heavily on third party exclusives...

- Ryse
- Dead Rising 3
- Killer Instinct (developed by third party)
- Rumored Platinum game
- Quantum Break

etc. etc.

I can't believe you didn't mention TF. It's the poster boy for MS exclusivity, I think.

etc. etc.

It's only a problem if MS can't sustain them working on exclusives for a long period of time.

If they can, then it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Insomniac was practically first-party throughout the PS3 era, since Sony ensured their pipeline was full of Sony money. The question for MS is how many are in a similar situation to Insomniac is during the PS3 era.

The Wii U also sold more than the Wii at launch. Now certainly, it's not the same scenario but it does illustrates how a strong launch doesn't necessarily mean success.

The X1's big game, Titanfall, is out, and it was accompanied with some pretty generous price cuts. I believe March will it's peak and it'll decline in the next few months. Kinect Sports will not be a system seller, the crowd that made the Wii And Kinect big has moved on (see Wii Sporst on the Wii U). Their next big system seller would be Halo 5, which may not come till next year. Sony's got Watchdogs and Destiny marketing locked down, those are two of the biggest games this year and they'll be associated with Playstation. I just don't see how MS will turn things around until a good $100 price cut.

And I see that you're only mentioning NA. Is that intentional? Because WW, the X1 will definitively fall behind the 360 (it'll happen in NA as well, it'll just take longer). This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about, you shouldn't focus solely on NA, there's a whole world out there outside the US.

Definitely, if MS can finally get off their behinds and start working on some new IPs, this could be good (similar to what Sony did with PS3). The issue is, I just don't see how they'll do it. Sony's always had a great stable of studios, so has Nintendo. MS' first party is... lacking, to say the least. They're good at what they do, yes, but that's all they do (T10 = Forza, 343 = Halo, Lionhead = Fable, Rare = Kinect, Black Tusk = Gears). I'll believe them when I see it, but short of buying some second party studio (and the only relevant studio that comes to mind that could be bought is Remedy) or creating new studios (which will takes years before putting out a game), there's nothing else they can do right now.

The Xbox One could have say, 50 million overall console sales by the end of the gen while the Xbox 360 had more than 80 million its respective gen. If less than half of Xbox 360 users had XBLG during its gen while the majority of Xbox One owners have XBLG during its gen, then that would mean more people having XBLG on the Xbox One in comparison to the Xbox 360 even if the Xbox One sells less than its predecessor overall.

XBLG was just as restrictive on the 360. It's no more required on the X1 than it was on the 360 (unless I'm missing something here?). I see what you're trying to say, but it makes no sense. I don't see how XBLG numbers don't go down as the Xbox looses ground to Playstation (especially in NA). If there were 40 million subscribers last gen, MS would have to sell more than 40 million X1s for it to remain the same (which is a tall order). I doubt the XBLG attach rate will be much bigger than it was last gen (which was what, 50% ish?

The comparison between PS3 and PS2 doens't work because the PS2 wasn't an online focused console.Even though it sold a ton, only a fraction of the userbase played online because it was such a secondary feature. Last gen was when online really took off so obviously, PS3 had more people playing online even though it sold less since online was pretty much a integral part of the console.

Now with that all said, who knows what'll happen. MS could announce a $400 price cut for all we know and that'd change things dramatically. But realistically, It's going to be rough road ahead for the X1.

All of the examples Tsundere posted are actually positive 3rd party exclusives [i.e. not money hats] that MS funded and likely wouldn't exist without MS's intervention

Titanfall is a case of a moneyhat

Exactly, games like Bayonetta 2 and DR3, are example of great examples of good investments. Sure, it sucks that they won't be on other platforms, but they'd like not exist without the funds provided. It's moneyhats like TF where MS pretty much pays for the PS version to be cancelled that gives them a bad name. Now with that said, I still feel relying too much on third party is a weakness. What's stopping Capcom from making DR4 on PS4/X1 (Just like DR2). The X1 needs some full exclusives that will only be found on Xbox.

It's only a problem if MS can't sustain them working on exclusives for a long period of time.

If they can, then it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Insomniac was practically first-party throughout the PS3 era, since Sony ensured their pipeline was full of Sony money. The question for MS is how many are in a similar situation to Insomniac is during the PS3 era.

Wasn't Insomniac's main issue with Sony the fact they they wanted to own their own IPs and couldn't do so? With MS, they'll have ownership of the SO IP which might conceivably mean we'll see sequels on other platforms. Regardless, hopefully it means Sony will let another dev take a shot at the Ratchet IP, I'd love to see that.

Wasn't Insomniac's main issue with Sony the fact they they wanted to own their own IPs and couldn't do so? With MS, they'll have ownership of the SO IP which might conceivably mean we'll see sequels on other platforms. Regardless, hopefully it means Sony will let another dev take a shot at the Ratchet IP, I'd love to see that.

after fuse.....i dont wanna see any more insomniac multiplats

after fuse.....i dont wanna see any more insomniac multiplats

Not just Fuse. Insomniac has been going down hill for along time. After ACiT, they just haven't been the same and I really dislike what they've done with Ratchet. It feels like they just see it as cash cow to be milked for their other projects (seriously, All 4 One and FFA were terrible, and Into The Nexus was average at best). R3 also under-delivered. It's why I don't get what the hype about SO is (but then again, this is just my opinion).

I truly hope them working with MS means the Ratchet IP can go to someone else. It's needs to live and it deserves better. Hopefully Sony does that.

Bgamer90

Banned
The Wii U also sold more than the Wii at launch. Now certainly, it's not the same scenario but it does illustrates how a strong launch doesn't necessarily mean success.

I agree but one of the main reasons why the Wii U faced problems fast was simply due to game support. The Xbox One won't have to face anywhere close to the same amount of problems in that area.

The X1's big game, Titanfall, is out, and it was accompanied with some pretty generous price cuts. I believe March will it's peak and it'll decline in the next few months. Kinect Sports will not be a system seller, the crowd that made the Wii And Kinect big has moved on (see Wii Sporst on the Wii U). Their next big system seller would be Halo 5, which may not come till next year.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the Xbox One won't sell as much in April/May as it did in March. March should be a pretty big month though.

Overall, neither systems (PS4 & Xbox One) have many big name games until the Fall.

Sony's got Watchdogs and Destiny marketing locked down, those are two of the biggest games this year and they'll be associated with Playstation.

The games are also coming out to many platforms too though. That's not to say that they won't help PS4 sales but I don't think they will be associated with the PS brand as much as others games were/are. Both of the games should sell pretty well across all of the platforms that they are on (except Watch_Dogs on the Wii U haha).

I just don't see how MS will turn things around until a good $100 price cut.

I honestly think that a $100 price drop for the console by itself (w/o game) is inevitable. MS had $450 Titanfall bundles on their website as a "promotion".

And I see that you're only mentioning NA. Is that intentional? Because WW, the X1 will definitively fall behind the 360 (it'll happen in NA as well, it'll just take longer). This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about, you shouldn't focus solely on NA, there's a whole world out there outside the US.

You brought up NA in your post which was why I was talking about NA. You said the Xbox One will be behind where the Xbox 360 was in NA (in a similar fashion as you did in the part of your post in bold) which is why I asked "When?". All signs are pointing to Xbox One having more overall sales in the NA by Nov. 2014 than the 360 had during its first full year. As I said before, NA Xbox 360 sales didn't reach current NA Xbox One sales until the Summer of 2006.

XBLG was just as restrictive on the 360. It's no more required on the X1 than it was on the 360 (unless I'm missing something here?).

Online gaming will be seemingly bigger this gen and more games this gen (especially the big name AAA games) will have online features. In terms of the Xbox One, features such as Game DVR, Skype, and even OneGuide require Xbox Live Gold.

I see what you're trying to say, but it makes no sense. I don't see how XBLG numbers don't go down as the Xbox looses ground to Playstation (especially in NA).

If there were 40 million subscribers last gen, MS would have to sell more than 40 million X1s for it to remain the same (which is a tall order). I doubt the XBLG attach rate will be much bigger than it was last gen (which was what, 50% ish?

The number of people on Xbox Live on the Xbox 360 was a little bit more than 40 million but that included people on Silver too and we were talking about XBLG so the number of people with XBLG on the 360 was definitely less than 50% of overall Xbox 360 sales.

Now with that all said, who knows what'll happen. MS could announce a $400 price cut for all we know and that'd change things dramatically. But realistically, It's going to be rough road ahead for the X1.

The road is going to be harder than it was last gen due to how much better the PS4 is doing in comparison to the PS3 but it really shouldn't be "rough". The system will still get great game support. The only system that I could say has a guaranteed rough road for this gen is the Wii U since third party support is basically dead on it even though there are at least 5 years left in this gen that just fully started.

I don't like to get into the discussions of comparing the performance of previous-gen vs current-gen in the same timeframe, because imo, there's simply too much variables between now and then to compare them apple-to-apple.

XB1 did better than 360 in the same timeframe while costing more, but it's also true that the Xbox brand is leaps and bounds better currently than it was back when 360 launched, and 360 also had major supply constraints. A better launch window performance was only to be expected. Unlike the first Xbox where it was clearly 2nd fiddle to Playstation 2, the 360 has helped Xbox establish itself as a gaming brand that is not inferior to Playstation in its core markets. (US/UK) Even in markets that it's less competitive in, I think it's fair to assume that people are more likely to give Xbox a chance, whereas back in the day, it's probably Playstation and nothing else.

PS4 outsold PS2/3 in the same time-frame, but PS2's launch was extremely restrictive at first, and by the time a global rollout happened, it was hard to compare the timelines. PS3's launch troubles were well documented with its price, late-start, poor library, etc. It's also debatable that Playstation brand might had weakened since its glorious PS2 days, but that's impossible to compare now and then, since social media is so big nowadays, and brand/brand personalities are a lot more upfront compared to then. Impossible to make an apple-to-apple comparison there.

These companies themselves would know best what their internal metrics of success are.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
I agree but one of the main reasons why the Wii U faced problems fast was simply due to game support. The Xbox One won't have to face anywhere close to the same amount of problems in that area.
On the other hand, the vast majority of games coming to Xbox One will also come out for PS4, and with games running better on the cheaper console, this is as likely to hurt Xbox as it is to help.

Online gaming will be seemingly bigger this gen and more games this gen (especially the big name AAA games) will have online features. In terms of the Xbox One, features such as Game DVR, Skype, and even OneGuide require Xbox Live Gold.
Yes, online gaming will definitely be bigger this gen, but here the early grabbing of market share will play in Sony's favor. When you reach a critical mass, the existing player base will act as an attractor, and new console buyers will base the purchase decision on what their friends already own. And although there are those, who pay for both online services, the value propositions are similar enough (on the surface) this time around, that double dipping will probably become more uncommon.

Finally, for an enlightened consumer, knowing about Skype and OneGuide being behind a paywall is a barrier for entry: it will be really difficult to convince somebody to pay $500 for a box with Skype, when they know they'll have to pay $60 a year to use it. It's even worse for OneGuide: you already have your program guide on your DVR, why on earth would you buy a separate box to show a different kind of program guide and pay for the privilege.

For the un-enlightened consumer, well, they may buy the box, but they will be really disappointed to hear about the fee, and this will show in customer satisfaction.

I'm not at all sure, that XBLG will remain the same kind of cash cow it used to be in X360 era.

Biker19

Banned
Yes, online gaming will definitely be bigger this gen, but here the early grabbing of market share will play in Sony's favor. When you reach a critical mass, the existing player base will act as an attractor, and new console buyers will base the purchase decision on what their friends already own. And although there are those, who pay for both online services, the value propositions are similar enough (on the surface) this time around, that double dipping will probably become more uncommon.

Finally, for an enlightened consumer, knowing about Skype and OneGuide being behind a paywall is a barrier for entry: it will be really difficult to convince somebody to pay $500 for a box with Skype, when they know they'll have to pay $60 a year to use it. It's even worse for OneGuide: you already have your program guide on your DVR, why on earth would you buy a separate box to show a different kind of program guide and pay for the privilege.

For the un-enlightened consumer, well, they may buy the box, but they will be really disappointed to hear about the fee, and this will show in customer satisfaction.

I'm not at all sure, that XBLG will remain the same kind of cash cow it used to be in X360 era.

This. Word of mouth will eventually spread about the paywall of features on Xbox One that are free everywhere else, & more people would be avoiding Xbox One as a result.

While PS4 also has online multiplayer behind a paywall, it's other features like Skype & Netflix, aren't behind a paywall at all.

Bgamer90

Banned
On the other hand, the vast majority of games coming to Xbox One will also come out for PS4, and with games running better on the cheaper console, this is as likely to hurt Xbox as it is to help.

Price is big. That fact can change as this gen moves along though (with inevitable price drops). Many are getting a PS4 simply because it's the cheapest box to play next gen multiplats regardless of specs.

Very very few will be buying the system just for skype or just for the program guide though. The main reason will be games (on top of those features) so an answer in reply to your "why on earth" question for many is simply "It has gaming content that I'm interested in". I will also say that the OneGuide has good voice control implementation as well as an actual good looking interface which isn't true for many cable box guides that people use.

It's definitely going to make MS a lot of money alongside the increase in digital game sales this gen but I agree that it probably won't be as big of a deal as it was last gen simply due to how much PSN has caught up.

quetz67

Banned
Price is big. That fact can change as this gen moves along though (with inevitable price drops).

It could but not if Sony is clever. They can dictate the price from their strong position of lower production costs, mayber faster dropping RAM prices and full production workload. Good didital sales should make it possible to even stomach some per unit hardware losses even not being as big as MS.

Melchiah

Price is big. That fact can change as this gen moves along though (with inevitable price drops). Many are getting a PS4 simply because it's the cheapest box to play next gen multiplats regardless of specs.

The thing is, the price of GDDR5 is likely to go down more than that of DDR3, and the Kinect, ESRAM and HDMI IN are added costs that the competitor doesn't have. With everything else, both of them can match the other's price.

dolemite

Are people suggesting that Sony can outduel MSFT when it comes to spending $$$ on hardware price drops, what were the most recent market caps for the two companies?

Majmun

The Netherland received new stock last week, only Infamous bundles. They all evaporated.

I'm glad I could snag one thanks to help. So happy!

Funny thing is that Dutch stores are also importing Xbox One consoles, and they're being sold at normal retail price, but they aren't moving at all. Makes me wonder if the official september launch will do much for MS.

Ferr986

Welp, guess Im part of those numbers now.
Just bought a PS4. Im really not much interested in the games available right now, but I got it for 340€, I couldnt resist...

Are people suggesting that Sony can outduel MSFT when it comes to spending $$$ on hardware price drops, what were the most recent market caps for the two companies?

Regardless of how much money Microsoft has, I don't believe they are willing to take a complete bath on the dropping the Xbone's price too dramatically.

Based on components and architecture, Sony should be able to reduce manufacturing cost faster and keep their price advantage.

Regardless of how much money Microsoft has, I don't believe they are willing to take a complete bath on the dropping the Xbone's price too dramatically.

Based on components and architecture, Sony should be able to reduce manufacturing cost faster and keep their price advantage.

Yeah, there is basically no chance Microsoft has the stomach to suffer the kind of hardware losses needed to significantly undercut the PS4. They'd shut down or sell off the business before they'd start shoveling billions into the abyss again like they did to establish the original Xbox.

Yeah, there is basically no chance Microsoft has the stomach to suffer the kind of hardware losses needed to significantly undercut the PS4. They'd shut down or sell off the business before they'd start shoveling billions into the abyss again like they did to establish the original Xbox.

even more so with a new CEO to have investors and press asking about the massive losses it would cause

Raist

Banned
Looks like it wasn't, those >999 consoles are gone already.

I don't think they're gone. They had no stock at all before, and the page was updated to indicate a shipment on the 7th. But now there's a 3rd party with an actual stock so that replaced the amazon one because the console is actually available from them.
I bet on monday the amazon stock will show up again.

As much as I use to love Insomniac
I got to agree with the other posters

Sony needs to take the steering wheel with the R&C I.P before we consider it as another Sonic

I love the R&C I.P but lately it has become some experimental mess

I don't think they're gone. They had no stock at all before, and the page was updated to indicate a shipment on the 7th. But now there's a 3rd party with an actual stock so that replaced the amazon one because the console is actually available from them.
I bet on monday the amazon stock will show up again.

I don't think that's how it works. They'll always show the Amazon option as a preference, even if it's allocated pre-order stock, but show alternative stockists when they run out. I'm sure it'll be back, but only if they get more pre-order allocation (or actual physical stock).

All of the examples Tsundere posted are actually positive 3rd party exclusives [i.e. not money hats] that MS funded and likely wouldn't exist without MS's intervention

Titanfall is a case of a moneyhat

I dunno, Capcom might have made Dead Rising 3 if they ever realize they can make console games that aren't arcade stick based

Melchiah

As much as I use to love Insomniac
I got to agree with the other posters

Sony needs to take the steering wheel with the R&C I.P before we consider it as another Sonic

I love the R&C I.P but lately it has become some experimental mess

I never really cared for Spyro or R&C, as I don't enjoy playing platformers, but I really liked RFOM and R3, and hope there'll be a fourth (or fifth if you count the Vita game) entry for the PS4 at some point.

KAL2006

Banned
This holiday will be the real test for both systems. They will both have the big 3rd party games like COD and Assassins Creed. However it seems both systems are lacking that AAA exclusive mass market game for the holidays. It seems Halo 5 won't make it for Xbox One and instead we will get Halo 2 remake. Uncharted 4 is likely not ready for this year, but there is The Order but I personally think it won't be a huge hitter as it is a new IP, and it doesn't have multiplayer.

I have many friends who own a PS3 or 360, and they are waiting until this Christmas to buy their next system.

fasTRapid

Banned
I don't think that's how it works. They'll always show the Amazon option as a preference, even if it's allocated pre-order stock, but show alternative stockists when they run out. I'm sure it'll be back, but only if they get more pre-order allocation (or actual physical stock).
Yep. If Amazon has some pre-order stock, that's what's shown. But right now, they don't even have that. It's really back to where it's been before. They aren't even listing PS4s sold directly by Amazon.

Biker19

Banned

Remember how Sony wasn't able to outduel MS on launch price because of MS' bigger pockets?

yeah

Don't forget people claimed that MS would outspend Sony on Hardware and because of that, Sony can't make a stronger hardware for a great value.

All of these. Just because Microsoft has tons more money than either Nintendo or Sony does, doesn't mean that it all goes towards the Xbox brand, & doesn't mean that Microsoft can do whatever the heck that they want with it towards the Xbox brand in general without being questioned about it from their shareholders/investors. If that was the case, then

1. Microsoft would've easily built themselves tons of 1st party studios,
  2. They would've brought out tons more 1st party games throughout the 2010 to the 2013 years of the Xbox 360 instead of spending $500 million on Kinect's advertising,
  3. Microsoft would've freely spend loads of money towards 3rd party exclusivity,
  4. Microsoft would've easily had Xbox One much more powerful than PS4 is right now, along with Kinect being around, &
  5. Microsoft would easily lower the price of Xbox One to $300-$350 right now & be allowed to take tons of losses just like with the Original Xbox.

Microsoft's a business, first & foremost. Let's all not forget about it.

Wynnebeck

Banned
MS could have still done that but Kinect happened.

Kinect didn't contribute to the Xbone being weaker. MS had just as much of a chance to use the same parts as a PS4 as Sony did. MS played it safe while Sony gambled on GDDR5 RAM and won big. MS has to hold that L and find a way to drop the price as soon as possible.

Kinect didn't contribute to the Xbone being weaker. MS had just as much of a chance to use the same parts as a PS4 as Sony did. MS played it safe while Sony gambled on GDDR5 RAM and won big. MS has to hold that L and find a way to drop the price as soon as possible.

If they didn't have the kinect, they could've spent that budget on a stronger GPU.

Very very few will be buying the system just for skype or just for the program guide though. The main reason will be games (on top of those features) so an answer in reply to your "why on earth" question for many is simply "It has gaming content that I'm interested in". I will also say that the OneGuide has good voice control implementation as well as an actual good looking interface which isn't true for many cable box guides that people use.

It's definitely going to make MS a lot of money alongside the increase in digital game sales this gen but I agree that it probably won't be as big of a deal as it was last gen simply due to how much PSN has caught up.

Price is huge, yes, that is one of the first factors consumers look at before making a purchase. However, it isn't the only factor. But you have to remember, just as you said previously (when mentioning Xbox One sales are impressive, if you took the PS4 out of the equation), the Xbox One doesn't exist in a vacuum, the PS4 will be just as capable of going on sale or getting a price cut by the time Microsoft makes an official price cut.

The PS4 isn't stuck at that price, just as the Xbox One isn't. It is going to take more than a price cut for Xbox One to even out sales. It just isn't that simple. Although I do believe we are in the middle of our first Xbox One price cut (game pack in will become standard going forward) even though Microsoft is calling it a "promotion."

If they didn't have the kinect, they could've spent that budget on a stronger GPU.
No, the GPU is weak because they needed to make room on the die for the eSRAM. They needed the eSRAM because they used DDR3 instead of GDDR5. They used DDR3 because they had to guarantee 8GB of RAM. They needed to guarantee 8GB of RAM because they wanted the box to run Win8 alongside the XBox OS.

Kinect and TV-in are mostly about watching you watch TV, so also not really gaming-related, but they didn't really contribute directly to the weaker GPU. They're just the reason it cost $100 more. Without Kinect, XBone would be roughly the same price as PS4, but would still have a weaker GPU because of Win8 and the requirements it brought along with it.

Melchiah

There has been some speculation, that Sony might have contributed financially on Samsung's GDDR5 efforts to speed up the process, and enable the increase in PS4's memory. If so, I wouldn't exactly call it a gamble.

Wynnebeck

Banned
There has been some speculation, that Sony might have contributed financially on Samsung's GDDR5 efforts to speed up the process, and enable the increase in PS4's memory. If so, I wouldn't exactly call it a gamble.

Giving money to Samsung to speed up the process on RAM that had never been used in a console before is not a gamble?

quetz67

Banned

Who cares? Haven't you heard about shareholders getting really angry and powerful lately when it comes to wasting their money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom