• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Update 1.70 is Live

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wait, we can use custom avatars now? How do I do this?

Or did they mean profile picture which is different to avatar and is already changed on mine for close friends...

profile pic. there remains a separate avatar which is the stock ps3 ones. lame

It show difference in a dark room.

and for people who were complaining about the light bar reflecting off glossy surfaces like their tv screen/bezel

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Screensaver
Touchpad for Keyboard input

This is huge for me. Boggled my mind how this wasn't in from the start, same for browser scrolling/pointer.

and for people who were complaining about the light bar reflecting off glossy surfaces like their tv screen/bezel

I can still see a clear reflection in my Panny plasma when the DS4 is set to dim - only going to get worse at night when my living room is dark.

You're lying! Proof!

It's hard to prove without access to previous firmwares but the compression is clearly better.
It's really obvious in the main menu, before the update the moving waves were heavily compressed but now they are clean. Same thing with navigating the big icons, before it was all messy but now it's fine.

The difference in Infamous is night and day.

sector4

The dimming on the Light Bar is a great feature, dim is kind of a level I'm happy with now, but I don't see why they couldn't just add off while they were at it...

I love some of the new features I've messed with so far, especially the broadcasting. A lot of viewers and broadcasters are noticing weird black bar flickers during streams even when the notifications are off. I even checked out my own stream and saw pop up for less than a sec. Not like how a normal notification would show on streams. Even turned all notifications off.

I also had to restart my PS4 because everything just started crapping lol. With new great stuff, comes great problems. Hope a "stability" patch rolls out within the week to fix the issues.

People also hopped in my stream stating that they're getting errors left and right.

pixelbox

It's hard to prove without access to previous firmwares but the compression is clearly better.
It's really obvious in the main menu, before the update the moving waves were heavily compressed but now they are clean. Same thing with navigating the big icons, before it was all messy but now it's fine.

The difference in Infamous is night and day.

Please don't be lying to me...I need it.

Mengetsu

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=pltYhMMVJEA

Here's a video of that weird visual glitch I had for about half an hour after updating.

Your kid is killing me
KuGsj.gif

But yes that is odd :/

ethomaz

Banned
I love some of the new features I've messed with so far, especially the broadcasting. A lot of viewers and broadcasters are noticing weird black bar flickers during streams even when the notifications are off. I even checked out my own stream and saw pop up for less than a sec. Not like how a normal notification would show on streams. Even turned all notifications off.

I also had to restart my PS4 because everything just started crapping lol. With new great stuff, comes great problems. Hope a "stability" patch rolls out within the week to fix the issues.

People also hopped in my stream stating that they're getting errors left and right.
That why I love stability firmwares... they are the best.

Anyone else have their console just crash while trying to upload a video file or two to a USB storage device?

It uploaded the first one fine and then died while doing 2 of 2. Weird...

Lightbar dimming is great but I look forward to be able to turn it off completely. If any game can override the dimming then why not let a game override the light being turned off?

rcl66

Same thing happened to me.

Put your finger on the power button for like 12 seconds until it beeps. It'll go into safe mode. Then you restart, then it will rebuild the database, then it will start up correctly.

I have no idea why, but I go through this on every update.

I did this and it did safe mode to check the file system then rebooted but never rebuilt the database. Just a black screen like it isnt outputting anything. Power bar is white but I can't get it to display anything on screen. How long does it tske to rebuild? Thinking it trashed my ps4.

vypek

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but how do you change the recording length of videos?

1) Enter share menu by tapping share button (or holding depending on your setting)
2) Hit options
3) Select share settings
4) Select video clip setting
5) Change the default length of recordinds

Wulfegang

I found this Corsair Voyager Go 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive for $22.50 on Amazon for those that may not want to deal with bulkier external drives. The nice part about it is the micro USB OTG end that you can plug into your Android device for copying files to and from it.

Corsair Voyager GO 32GB Flash Drive

Wow really? The ps4 was already way more responsive prior to the patch.

Yes, they made another step forward. The only lag I still notice is while opening up the store, but even that has been improved. Also, system cold boot took me 21 seconds compared to 27 seconds a few weeks ago (that might have already changed a bit with the stability updates in the meantime).

HanselBot

Banned
I did this and it did safe mode to check the file system then rebooted but never rebuilt the database. Just a black screen like it isnt outputting anything. Power bar is white but I can't get it to display anything on screen. How long does it tske to rebuild? Thinking it trashed my ps4.

I had a lot of problems last night. Basically I would just have a black screen, but the sound was still working (could navigate around and hear the menu noises).

Using a different HDMI port on my tv worked (weirdly), but I seem to have fixed the issue this morning by turning off HDCP.

plainr_

Quite pleased with the update today. That is until I tried to use Plex in the browser. It was working great up until today. Now I can't get it to display any video.

Is this the same for everyone?

Yep, Plex is broken. Only some .mp4 files work.

Transcoding does not work with the updated web browser.

slapnuts

It show difference in a dark room.

From high(normal) to low ....i can no longer see the reflection on my Panasonic Plasma. I am pretty sure Sony did a tiny bit of testing when adjusting the three settings because it has did its job for atleast with me and my 55 inch Plasma when the lights are all off in the living room. Before i could see the blue glow but now on low i can no longer see it.

I suppose Sony couldnt test all TV's,etc but maybe they should of allowed a adjuster level bar instead to slide the level from left to right for brightness to darkness...would of did a world of wonder for everyone since everyone has a different type of reflection off their HDTV.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really dislike the new comments format used in Live from Playstation. The word flow is terrible; so many letters are cut off from words and pushed to a separate line. It makes it far more difficult and choppy to read comments. Not worth the trade off of fitting more comments at a time.

Malechai

This may have been mentioned already but I bumped into a new undocumented feature while watching a Blu-ray tonight. You can press the PS button and it will bring up the ps4 ui instead of asking if you want to quit the disc.

You're lying! Proof!
What is wrong with you? If you have eyes, that's all the proof you need.

Resogun was a blurry mess of fuzzy greens and ghosting blacks, and now it's crystal clear. Before it was like streaming a sub-360p compressed YouTube video, and now it's a crisp Vimeo-esque 480p.

/dumbcomparisons

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really dislike the new comments format used in Live from Playstation. The word flow is terrible; so many letters are cut off from words and pushed to a separate line. It makes it far more difficult and choppy to read comments. Not worth the trade off of fitting more comments at a time.
It's dreadful. Maybe a ticker format is the best of both worlds?

Top Bottom