• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI Walkthrough (Menus, Friends, Profile, DVR, Twitch, Apps, Store, Remote Play)

doby

l1QXVe9.jpg

That purple and blue background is a million times better then the standard blue. So background colouration is in the OS... you just cant customize it...great.

Replicant

Those boxes look better when there's content in it. Otherwise they look kind of dry/boring. But obviously some of them won't have any because they are used as some kind of title (ie. "Library"). In that case, those icons need to be better designed and have better consistency. This is the same problem that Xbone have. Personally I'm not fond of the fact that both next-gen consoles have boxes as UI theme.

I hope I can turn off or choose which "current activities" I want to display just like on Facebook. I'd prefer to have minimal of those if I can.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looks good, albeit a bit plain. Definitely some improvements to be made but it seems quick and functional which is all I ask for at launch.

I just did. Nothing spectacular. I don't really know how to say it fancily in English but what I basically mean is that I don't really dislike anything but it didn't amaze me either. Also seeing how it's nothing amazing I think it will receive a rehaul like HD twins did for several times last gen.
'Underwhelming' is the word you're looking for I think.

Although a UI should be functional above all else, a sleek layout is a plus.

Looks decent. I like the XB1 ui better, but ui is not why I buy a games console.
Yup, agree on these points.

I just want custom back grounds and dynamic themes, I'm good with everything else for now. Can't wait to get my hands on the ui though, no one will ever put up an in depth vid like you yourself would.

G.Newell

At the beginning of the first video as he goes to log in it tells him to move his face so it can scan and sign him in. Can it not just scan his face automatically ala the Kinect 2 to sign him in because otherwise it looks a lot quicker just to use the controller!

andycapps

I love the music. Also love the speed of everything and how everything looks very simple to navigate, which is one huge reason why I'm glad they stuck with the same idea as the XMB. Could it be prettied up some? Yeah, and I'm sure it will be over the course of this gen. But really the speed and ease of use make me very happy.

If it was that bad I would have noticed. It was pretty damn quick. Over reactions over little things baffle me.

It was pretty bad. The store stutters when you change sections on PS3, and the exact same thing happened here @ 0:33

There's also a slight stutter right at the start when he's going down the categories. It's pretty much behaving like the PS3 version.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It was pretty bad. The store stutters when you change sections on PS3, and the exact same thing happened here @ 0:33

There's also a slight stutter right at the start when he's going down the categories. It's pretty much behaving like the PS3 version.

The store took roughly 1 minute to load on PS3. That's really all I will say on it. It's lightning compared to my experience with the slow but functional PS3 storefront. That's why I've been using the web store but it looks like that will change on PS4 considering the store is really fast.

tokkun

Come on, only showing 3 items at a time is awful. I hope this is only a temporary thing since they have so few games. Once there are a lot of games in the store, it will be murder to browse them like that.

I see the PS4 OS as being the absolutely bare minimum Sony could have offered. In fact, it's even missing some basic things I would expect, like some ability to just change the background color at the very least.

Very disappointing to me. I really think it's their biggest misstep with the PS4 so far.

Kyleoty

Neo Member
Would love to see how music unlimited integrates with in game music and just how it works on the ps4 compared to ps3 and my droid.

jmood88

It doesn't look like anyone actually designed the UI, it just looks like they told an engineer to throw some boxes all over the place, then leave it alone.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Looks fast, but that cutting is annoying. I want him to show how he got to them places, and how fast he got there. Not cut to certain sections.. :(

Suirrad

Damn that looks good and most importantly, FAST.

Came to post this. As long as its fast, I'm good. That remote play looks nice and I like that the store is integrated.

Also, these vids and recent push by Sony kinda make me actually want a camera. Especially since I have a choice in the matter.

Afrodium

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like if I want to share a screenshot I can only do so through Twitter or Facebook? Kind of a bummer, I was hoping I could just share it with my PSN friends or something. I don't imagine my Facebook friends or Twitter followers will care too much about what I'm doing in Knack.

Deitus

Come on, only showing 3 items at a time is awful. I hope this is only a temporary thing since they have so few games. Once there are a lot of games in the store, it will be murder to browse them like that.

Have you used the current PS3 store? They show all of those giant tiles for 10 or so featured items, but if you scroll all the way to the right you can select "New Games" and get a list of all new releases in a much more condensed layout. I don't know why they didn't show that in this video, but you can see the icon when it scrolls to the far right. Personally I would prefer if the list view was easier to get to, but it's definitely not as dire as you seem to suspect.

JB1981

Looks really bland and basic, like it was not ready for primetime or something. Not the OS evolution I was hoping for at all.

It's the same on PS3. You get fancy looking featured items, but you also get grid views of everything.

Afrodium

Banned
Does anyone know if media apps can also be added to the main row of icons? In Sessler's video he said that the first icon will be the most recent game, the second icon the second most recent game, etc. If I watch Netflix just as much as I'm playing games, will the shortcut to the Netflix app get automatically added to the first row, or will it always be nested under the media apps tab?

Hyunashi

I cant see what the big fuss is with UI. I will be playing games on my console 95% of the time anyways as we get jackshit in terms of apps here in Australia.

Looks slick, thats great enough for me.

C4EMGEN

The 'more' button at the end takes you into a grid view.
The first couple of items are just 'spotlighted'.

It doesn't look like anyone actually designed the UI, it just looks like they told an engineer to throw some boxes all over the place, then leave it alone.

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what it looks like. It doesn't feel like it'll provide much of an experience. It just feels kind of slapped together. At least it seems quick though.

The UI is CRYING for wallpapers/dynamic themes. =/

Hopefully they add it soon. The blue wave is dull as fuck. Other than that it looks butter smooth, no loading, user friendly and most importantly completely ad free.

The store took roughly 1 minute to load on PS3. That's really all I will say on it. It's lightning compared to my experience with the slow but functional PS3 storefront. That's why I've been using the web store but it looks like that will change on PS4 considering the store is really fast.

Well I was talking about stuttering not load times. Load times don't bother me as much because once they're over they're over, but constant stuttering during normal operation is just so annoying.

tokkun

Have you used the current PS3 store? They show all of those giant tiles for 10 or so featured items, but if you scroll all the way to the right you can select "New Games" and get a list of all new releases in a much more condensed layout. I don't know why they didn't show that in this video, but you can see the icon when it scrolls to the far right. Personally I would prefer if the list view was easier to get to, but it's definitely not as dire as you seem to suspect.

I see. Usually when I am using the PSN store on PS3 I am so enraged by the slowness that this other issue did not register with me.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
At the beginning of the first video as he goes to log in it tells him to move his face so it can scan and sign him in. Can it not just scan his face automatically ala the Kinect 2 to sign him in because otherwise it looks a lot quicker just to use the controller!

Do you honestly believe you're going to have to do that every time you use the system?

doby

Would you say this is a mess? Look at all that wasted space!

nulG4ZV.jpg

Its not so much the wasted space (although spacial use is important), its the bloody tiles and difference in style between them. You've got the nasty playstation symbols tile (at least its not orange like on the PS3, small mercies), then the games tiles, then the SEN branded music and video tiles, then finally the XMB icon tiles. 4 different styles! Just horrible.

Maybe I'm just too biased towards the XMB, but its got great uniformity in style and function.

I wonder what Yasuhiro Yamanaka makes of the dynamic menu.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Here's an interesting video with a 11 min uninterrupted walkthrough from Gamespot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDzsZEFr2no

Includes a glimpse of the 'Library' that you guys are curious about... but unfortunately only has one title in it. ;-)

at least it isn't showing everything you ever bought from PSN, which is a start. Do you know how it looks with more games? Eg buy and install 3 games (one retail, two digital). Delete one of the digital games. Does the library show

- all three games looking identical
- all three games but the deleted game looks a bit different to show it is deleted (so you can reinstall)
- the two installed games?
- both digital games (i.e like purchase history but filtered by PS4)

Joco

Damn, we really can't change that background? I was hoping to make it black... hopefully that gets patched in soon.

Top Bottom