• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS4Daily RUMOR] ps4 developers will have access to 7GB of GDDR5 heaven

i-Lo

If the rumours are true (about the OS footprint) then next gen games will, in all likelihood, would be designed with 5GB DDR3 in mind and then be ported over to other systems. With lowest common denominator dictating the final look, I doubt XB3 owners will be at a disadvantage.

Reiko

Banned
If the rumours are true (about the OS footprint) then next gen games will, in all likelihood, would be designed with 5GB DDR3 in mind and then be ported over to other systems. With lowest common denominator dictating the final look, I doubt XB3 owners will be at a disadvantage.

Hmmmmm... Interesting.

rdrr gnr

Isn't there just an inherent limit when it comes to capacity after a certain point? You only use so much at any given time.

This wasn't nearly as good as your previous troll in this thread. Bring your "A" game, plz.

fallagin

Probably right, but of course we will have to see.

i-Lo

This wasn't nearly as good as your previous troll in this thread. Bring your "A" game, plz.

That's because I am not being facetious at the moment. I really meant what I said. If the PS4 does possess a RAM advantage in terms of quantity, I expect it to be translated in terms of framerate stability and perhaps a touch better AA solutions. True graphical distinctions will come courtesy of first parties. It happened this generation on a platform which was not developer friendly and it will happen in the next should the rumours stand.

I still doubt the 3GB OS footprint though. That's just ridiculous.

I'm with you on that.

-Winnie-

I hope more RAM for the OS means we'll get sweet multi-tasking like on the Vita. In-game soundtracks and web browsing, please come to me.

I still doubt the 3GB OS footprint though. That's just ridiculous.

On one hand, it seems ridiculous. On the other, there's the RAM footprint of Windows RT on the Surface. I hope for the former.

That's because I am not being facetious at the moment. I really meant what I said. If the PS4 does possess a RAM advantage in terms of quantity, I expect it to be translated in terms of framerate stability and perhaps a touch better AA solutions. True graphical distinctions will come courtesy of first parties. It happened this generation on a platform which was not developer friendly and it will happen in the next should the rumours stand.

So you're saying "lazy developers are lazy" basically.

That's only true if you assume developers are lazy. I don't really buy into that. Some are, many aren't. While some will not explore/exploit all the different nuances between PS4 and the rumored Durango, I think a lot of third-parties will push close to the limits of the RAM at least. Third party developers will not want to be disgraced by the likes of ND and SSM. People in creative and technical fields who rise to the level of working at the better developers generally have more pride than that, IMO.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Except that would mean higher resolution textures on PS4, or anything else PC versions benefit from memory-wise, if Xbox 3 uses more than 1gb for the OS.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

That's only true if you assume developers are lazy. I don't really buy into that. Some are, many aren't. While some will not explore/exploit all the different nuances between PS4 and the rumored Durango, I think a lot of third-parties will push close to the limits of the RAM at least. Third party developers will not want to be disgraced by the likes of ND and SSM. People in creative and technical fields who rise to the level of working at the better developers generally have more pride than that, IMO.

If they're making a multiplatform game, they'll need to create assets and levels that 5gb of DDR3 can accommodate. I think the PS4's other advantages will lead to games looking better on it since it'll be pretty easy to up the quality with similar architectures but a lot of the advantages of the RAM won't be able to be explored in multiplatform development.

I also want to chime in that I don't think Durango's OS will be more than 2gb, if that.

On one hand, it seems ridiculous. On the other, there's the RAM footprint of Windows RT on the Surface. I hope for the former.
What is the Surface footprint?

Socky

Considering it seems unlikely any PS4 games in development right now are actually using ~7Gb, Sony could suggest a ballpark 6-7 limit to developers and wait for E3 when they'll have a clearer idea of what the competition are doing OS-wise. I don't see why they even have to think about this too much right now.

vpance

That's because I am not being facetious at the moment. I really meant what I said. If the PS4 does possess a RAM advantage in terms of quantity, I expect it to be translated in terms of framerate stability and perhaps a touch better AA solutions.

Nah, it'll probably be built for PS4/PC then downport to Durango.

i-Lo

On one hand, it seems ridiculous. On the other, there's the RAM footprint of Windows RT on the Surface.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/11kyja/iam_panos_panay_gm_of_microsoft_surface_amaa_ask/

I hope for the former.

No, I am not saying it's lazy design process. What I am saying is that the (unfortunate) reality of multiplatform gaming is develop for the lowest common denominator and then up-port. It is easier to do so and saves time and money across all platforms.

Except that would mean higher resolution textures on PS4, or anything else PC versions benefit from memory-wise, if Xbox 3 uses more than 1gb for the OS.

To that I say:

I really think people are overestimating the immediate impact of one or two GB more once you get beyond 5GB. These systems aren't specced to really use that much memory effectively every frame. Most likely, it would only result in small loading time differences in the vast majority of cases.

That depends on how they implement it. It's a bit of a tradeoff between using more RAM and causing disk traffic more often.

If it didn't come from Durante, I'd call it a bit of a hogwash. Because it isn't I'd guess instead of higher resolution textures, perhaps better texture streaming and (just maybe) slightly better load times can be expected.

patsu

No, I am not saying it's lazy design process. What I am saying is that the (unfortunate) reality of multiplatform gaming is develop for the lowest common denominator and then up-port. It is easier to do so and saves time and money across all platforms.

Not quite true. Look at Dark Souls 2. It's PC led. Then downport to the consoles.

i-Lo

Not quite true. Look at Dark Souls 2. It's PC led. Then downport to the consoles.

But they aren't on next gen consoles. Next gen consoles will set DX11.x as standard and given their similarities with generic PCs, it would be better have the base infrastructure/engine optimizations in place (lowest common denominator) in the beginning.

patsu

It's really up to the devs. There is no hard and fast rule.

They can choose to up port, down port, or start with a timed exclusive unit first.
Or start with the one that's easiest, or the one that they are the most familiar with, or the one that has a good sales penetration, etc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's a big difference and should show in multiplats. But I still think Microsoft is going to surprise with the hardware.

I posted my predictions for Durango's final specs on the last page. I think they'll be better than rumored but won't close the gap.

With 7GB there shouldn't be much issue for a company that is making a Durango title not to also make a PS4 title.

It will be interesting to see which companies decide to make Durango only titles...

nib95

Banned
I posted my predictions for Durango's final specs on the last page. I think they'll be better than rumored but won't close the gap.

My prediction also. But you never know. There is still a slim chance that whilst Microsoft might not have Sony beat on the ram front, they might opt for a better GPU or something like that, which might excel in other areas or close the gap elsewhere.

vpance

But they aren't on next gen consoles. Next gen consoles will set DX11.x as standard and given their similarities with generic PCs, it would be better have the base infrastructure/engine optimizations in place (lowest common denominator) in the beginning.

Actually it'd make more sense to develop for the most common denominator being PS4/PC, then port to the odd one out. And since basically everyone is developing on high end PC's first it's the path of least resistance.

i-Lo

Look on the bright side: Unlike this gen, PS4 owners in all likelihood will not be screwed courtesy of technically inferior ports of multiplat games.

I think you have it backwards. They'll be designed for the 7GB version to show their game in the best possible light and then downsampled across the board to fit within 5GB.

5GB in the beginning will perhaps be more than adequate for multiplat games.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Truespeed

I think you have it backwards. They'll be designed for the 7GB version to show their game in the best possible light and then downsampled across the board to fit within 5GB.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can't see how much MS could change from current dev kits. GPU mhz bump? 12GB of DDR3? I mean what are we talking about here.

Upclocking the CPU or GPU is pretty much all they can do, unless they want to risk half assing a certain part or wasting a ton of R&D money.

Cidd

Lol at people bitching about devs having only 7GB to work with, That's more than enough for any game and some. There is only so much you can do with RAM, The main focus should be on the GPU.

Tom Penny

I don't believe them. Guerilla helped them design the PS4 and only used a couple of gig of ram for Killzone. OS must take up like 5+ gig...

vpance

Mid spec PC's by 2014/2015 should have around 2TF GPUs with 2-3GB VRAM running at ~200GB/s. Sounds pretty close to PS4 to me, except PS4 should have a bit more flexibility in not having to transfer data between main and GPU memory. Sounds like a no brainer here, to dev for PS4 and PC and devote a small amount of time to make the port to Durango.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Mid spec PC's by 2014/2015 should have around 2TF GPUs with 2-3GB VRAM running at ~200GB/s. Sounds pretty close to PS4 to me, except PS4 should have a bit more flexibility in not having to transfer data between main and GPU memory. Sounds like a no brainer here, to dev for PS4 and PC and devote a small amount of time to make the port to Durango.
True and I feel most devs will go this route as well. PC/PS4 focus and Durango port alongside if the rumored specs don't change. I hope MS at least bumps the CPU/GPU clocks or add RAM for a better lowest common denominator.

I don't believe them. Guerilla helped them design the PS4 and only used a couple of gig of ram for Killzone. OS must take up like 5+ gig...

Not sure if serious...

Well at any rate, they designed KZ:SF around early dev kits. Which I believe only had around 2GB of usable VRAM, maybe even less. Keep in mind, the PS4 was originally going to have 4GB total, around 3.5 usable for games in the final kits.

Top Bottom