• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
As i said earlier, i think the reason it was so effective is that it was so fucused - it was just sending tweets about DRM/Used games to Sony execs and including #PS4NoDRM. I think this will only dilute the message.

But oh well.

I agree with this person.

I had dyslexia for a minute and thought it said "a popular user on the Neogaf forum" when it said "a user on the popular NeoGAF forum." I was all "IM POPULAR ON NEOGAF!?!?!?!" And then I was :(

mazillion

have our hashtags ever reached trending status on twitter? i have been tweeting and checking since yesterday morning but i don't think it ever got big enough. i was checking trending in America, Europe and worldwide.

also the "#PS4NoDRM 24-Hour Trend Graph" is much lower than it was yesterday.. oh well, not the best representation of popularity/momentum anyway. BIG MEDIA COVERAGE YEEAAAH

There were many weeks on GAF where the rumors from Microsoft were discussed in a lot of detail. There are countless of articles written about the leaks on the various games industry websites.

One Microsoft employee was fired about him speaking about this topic and how the reception on the Internet was bad for him.

Microsoft is well aware of what a lot of people on the 'Net think about this issue.

it's well aware of always online and so changed their requirements from 4 minutes to 24hts. There isn't a significant enough backlash towards used games on One. It's solely focused on PS4 and that sends the wrong message to MS who will feel like they are off the hook.

To be fair, to myself :p, I only knew of Sony's plans and sony twitter handles. I also never thought it was going to turn into this. As soon as it did we expanded it to be much more than what my initial post was.

Microsoft folks haven't latched on to it. The MS info in the OP is taken for a thread that someone made just like this one but for MS and people were imploring him not to push it because they want the DRM. It was really bizarre.

I see idiots trolling, but that's pretty much down to the whole console allegiance BS.

I wasn't singling anyone out. I simply find the picking and choosing of where to fight for consumer rights rather annoying.

MS? LOL, let them I'll vote with my wallet. Sony? Let's bombard them with tweets. It's missing the forest for the trees. If one releases with anti used DRM and is even remotely successful, it's going to spread like wildfire.

So to stop it in its track, you don't focus on the one that hasn't officially stated any anti used DRM, you focus on the one that has and force a change there. Once that happens, anyone else considering such a move would likely not go ahead with it.

It is not brand loyalty. Sony is the main target because famousmortimer had inside info that Sony was wavering. THAT's the reason this campaign took off. There is evidence that MS is wavering too after the huge backlash, but priorities - we chose Sony as the first target, and the entire momentum up to now has been on pressuring them. I'm not saying we shouldn't pressure MS also (we should) but we can't take the focus off Sony. There has to be a central target, and Sony is it.

Yep, Sony is the central target. The company that hasn't officially announced anti used DRM should be the central target. Let's ignore the one that has announced such a measure because that's a lost cause right?

No way to change their mind now right?

I think the problem is that MS including it is a foregone conclusion. Or at least that's the perception. Not so much that there's console allegiance. If Sony would have been the first to detail their used game plans, then this campaign would have likely been focused on the Xbox One to start.

I disagree. Some on here seem more than happy to ignore that the One will have anti used DRM so long as the PS4 doesn't not realising that if the One is even a moderate success in blocking anti used games, it will spread like wildfire and Sony will eventually have no choice but to follow suit, no matter how bad the backlash. They'll know people are invested in their platform, so all bets are off at that point.

Mifune

Mehmber
have our hashtags ever reached trending status on twitter? i have been tweeting and checking since yesterday morning but i don't think it ever got big enough. i was checking trending in America, Europe and worldwide.

also the "#PS4NoDRM 24-Hour Trend Graph" is much lower than it was yesterday.. oh well, not the best representation of popularity/momentum anyway. BIG MEDIA COVERAGE YEEAAAH

I don't think the specific hashtags were trending, but DRM was trending all day yesterday.

antitrop

I had dyslexia for a minute and thought it said "a popular user on the Neogaf forum" when it said "a user on the popular NeoGAF forum." I was all "IM POPULAR ON NEOGAF!?!?!?!" And then I was :(

It's okay, we love you.

VrddNs2.gif

fatty

But you will always be famous to me!

it is your username afterall :p

They popped up on a few people's tailored trends, but that's about it.

Afrit

The message was brought about by Sony fans not wanting the PS4 to have DRM - they should be taking credit for this fantastic achievement.

It's certainly nothing to do with console BS.

While I kinda agree that involving MS into this will be essential. but we have to give credit where credit is due. "Passionate" PlayStation fans were the force to get this rolling. That's another reason to keep the hash-tags.

Freki

While I kinda agree that involving MS into this will be essential. but we have to give credit where credit is due. "Passionate" PlayStation fans were the force to get this rolling. That's another reason to keep the hash-tags.

And that's the plus we are offering Sony - they can use this line of thinking in their Press Releases and we get no DRM in exchange.
If Sony can't use it as a plus I'm a little bit afraid we might not get our "plus"...

PJV3

Haven't Microsoft committed to some server based retail system or something?

Pulling this off with MS would be a major achievement that should go in a text book for future generations to marvel at.

Baleoce

NBC picking this up is fantastic, well done GAFfers :) It's the first hit on their technology page too..

Now we need BBC.

What's the prediction here?

If Microsoft had this full on DRM and despite our hate used the power of their brand marketing of Doritos and COD endorsed Mountain Dew... Would it really alter sales in any meaningful number even if Sony said NO to the DRM?

What would actually happen? Would EA basically boycott the PS4? Or give Sony crappy support as in fewer titles or late releases? Would gamers actually, ACTUALLY, REALLY buy the PS4 in droves and starve the XBone to death until Microsoft relented and removed the DRM?

Its hard to even grasp the possibilities here because I don't see that happening no matter what.

mazillion

I don't think the specific hashtags were trending, but DRM was trending all day yesterday.
i thought it was all yesterday too but then i discovered 'tailored trends' was a thing (i never use twitter) it shows trending things relevant to your interests so i don't think DRM was globally trending or in any country.

i am not sure if anyone pointed this out but the NBC article is the 4th one down on Google News in the Technology category thats pretty cool

edit: actually i just realized it's google news 'US edition'. but still...

Mifune

Mehmber
i thought it was all yesterday too but then i discovered 'tailored trends' was a thing (i never use twitter) it shows trending things relevant to your interests so i don't think DRM was globally trending or in any country.

Oh wow, you're right. I had tailored trends activated.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It needs to be a unified message though. If we start fragmenting our goal and have people advocating for one console over the other or using different messaging, that will make things worse. We need as many people as possible under a unified banner.

I think that's exactly why it's important to represent both consoles.

No one is taking anything away from the PS4 message. But if people are doing one, they might as well do both.

Baleoce

Remember this is a positive campaign in a positive spirit. I don't think the comment you left on that article reflects that :/

There is always going to be people who voice a different opinion in this debate. But we should focus on what we are doing and continue the momentum we've built, rather than giving them fuel to put a different spin on things.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
FWIW, there have been visits from a certain company in Redmond to the open letter.

Though the words are very tuned to Sony, the message shouldn't ring less loudly for MS.

There is no harm in getting on #XBoxOneNoDRM #XBoxOneUSEDGAMES

Now that we've managed to get onto NBC, we should be targeting some more mainstream outlets. I know some people tried BBC. Does anyone know any other names to try?

FWIW, there have been visits from a certain company in Redmond to the open letter.

Though the words are very tuned to Sony, the message shouldn't ring less loudly for MS.

Awesome!

I think that's exactly why it's important to represent both consoles.

No one is taking anything away from the PS4 message. But if people are doing one, they might as well do both.

MS has already been told, countless times about consumer opinions. They have made their decision. We need to focus on Sony at this point, if successful, and when Sony start 'winning' this gen, MS will likely follow suit.

Lets make Sony feel special first with all the attention ... Microsoft will get jealous =)

MSNBC lol So what if Keighley is just a MS plant who spread this whole ps4 drm rumor to throw Sony under the bus too, and the whole time, they never had a DRM system in place. hmmmm

tinfoil hat

Interesting...

MS... if you're seeing this... please know that I LOVE everything I've seen of Xbox One. But if you go through with the DRM I will simply never own your next gen console. Same applies to Sony.

Caja 117

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Pretty crazy.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MS has already been told, countless times about consumer opinions. They have made their decision. We need to focus on Sony at this point, if successful, and when Sony start 'winning' this gen, MS will likely follow suit.

Lets make Sony feel special first with all the attention ... Microsoft will get jealous =)

It's bigger than that. Neither company's policies are set in stone. They've both acknowledged as much.

I won't derail this further, but I don't think that adding Microsoft into the mix dilutes the message. If anything, it provides a more united front.

Diffense

The general feeling seems to be that MS is a lost cause while there is a chance to sway Sony. The whole reason this took off was because someone suggested Sony was undecided. I say focus on Sony. Obviously, Microsoft knows about #PS4UsedGames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom