• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It needs to be a unified message though. If we start fragmenting our goal and have people advocating for one console over the other or using different messaging, that will make things worse. We need as many people as possible under a unified banner.

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

It's pretty sad that NBC has written a story about it before IGN has said anything about it. Don't get me wrong, i'm not surprised that IGN hasn't said anything since Colin has repeatedly said that he's in favor of this DRM, but it's still sad that the biggest gaming site doesn't want to touch it. I believe that they're the only major site that hasn't said a word about it.

Didn't Sony already say that they were going to leave DRM strategies up to the developers?

I'm glad they are listening but Sony will ultimately give in to what the developer wants. If they want to keep third party support, they'll do whatever guys like EA and Activision tell them to.

DoomGyver

I just got home from work and see we have a little article on NBC, that is awesome. We need to keep this ball rolling until the morning of E3. Good work guys.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It needs to be a unified message though. If we start fragmenting our goal and have people advocating for one console over the other or using different messaging, that will make things worse. We need as many people as possible under a unified banner.

I tweeted,

"Because DRM is bad no matter who does it #PS4NoDRM #PS4USEDGAMES #XboxOneUSEDGAMES #XboxOneNoDRM"

Is that a fragmented message? Seems pretty straightforward to me. And in case you didn't notice, people were already advocating one console over another. The equivalent Xbox thread has three pages.

I put the microsoft info in the OP last night and asked at the time for a title change. It's totally cool with me.

Edit: Though as the OP i don't claim to speak for anyone in here, who probably did more than me.

Moobabe

I think the issue you're ignoring is the fact that the OT was changed a while ago to be more inclusive, yet the title did not reflect that. As I said, the hashtags are staying unchanged to reflect the original message, though the title has been altered to get more people on the bandwagon. It's a compromise. The ball is already rolling, getting more people to weigh in and push the issue will only add to the momentum.

I put the microsoft info in the OP last night and asked at the time for a title change. It's totally cool with me.

Ah cool - I didn't see that last night.

Gartooth

It's pretty sad that NBC has written a story about it before IGN has said anything about it. Don't get me wrong, i'm not surprised that IGN hasn't said anything since Colin has repeatedly said that he's in favor of this DRM, but it's still sad that the biggest gaming site doesn't want to touch it. I believe that they're the only major site that hasn't said a word about it.
If they are staying out of it to further some political agenda then you know what, screw em. Right now this is one of the biggest gaming stories going on right now and if they don't want to support this, then they miss out on sharing in this event not to mention doing a disservice to their readers by not reporting it.

And in case you didn't notice, people were already advocating one console over another. The equivalent Xbox thread has three pages.

That's because Microsoft already stated that Xbone will have DRM. This campaign was to influence Sony, who still hadn't committed one way or another. That's why PS4 was chosen as the target.

But fine, I just really hope you guys aren't fucking this up.

Unified under a Sony banner? Everyone is seemingly ignoring the more important fact that MS actually plan this feature whereas Sony were only rumoured to be doing it.

We should be focusing on MS much more than Sony, but alas...console/brand allegiance BS seems to be getting in the way.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That's because Microsoft already stated that Xbone will have DRM. This campaign was to influence Sony, who still hadn't committed one way or another. That's why PS4 was chosen as the target.

If somebody I know does something dickish, I don't usually respond by going to my friends and asking them not to do the same thing. I tell the person that what they did was dickish and I would prefer that they change. That's how I see it.

Moobabe

Unified under a Sony banner? Everyone is seemingly ignoring the more important fact that MS actually plan this feature whereas Sony were only rumoured to be doing it.

We should be focusing on MS much more than Sony, but alas...console/brand allegiance BS seems to be getting in the way.

The message was brought about by Sony fans not wanting the PS4 to have DRM - they should be taking credit for this fantastic achievement.

It's certainly nothing to do with console BS.

QP3

Definetly leave the hashtags as they are, but this should be a gamer-wide movement. This is far beyond company loyalties, fanboyism, etc. imo.

Corto

You sure, bro? I mean dude, bro? Dude? DUDE?

Get off your high horse man. I'll let that slide, but if you think my opinions reflect any kind of pro-Microsoft stance, you are sadly mistaken.

As I've said, the hash tags stay, but getting more people in the community to adopt the message can only strengthen it, not weaken it.

Completely agree that this should be perceived as a platform agnostic movement. But people created an Xbox One specific thread that quickly deflated from lack of interest, disenchantment or apathy. Some posters even advocated that MS was in its right and were in favor of an anti-used drm setting. Lumping these two attitudes (one proactive the other apathetic or even pro anti-used games) can result toxic to this whole effort. Just my 2 cents though.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
There were many weeks on GAF where the rumors from Microsoft were discussed in a lot of detail. There are countless of articles written about the leaks on the various games industry websites.

One Microsoft employee was fired about him speaking about this topic and how the reception on the Internet was bad for him.

Microsoft is well aware of what a lot of people on the 'Net think about this issue.

This isn't about any console wars bullshit. This campaign was targeted at Sony specifically because famousmortimer said that they're currently wavering on whether or not to implement it. He saw that and others saw that as an opportunity to tell them how we feel about it in order to possibly influence them in the direction of not using it.

To be fair, to myself :p, I only knew of Sony's plans and sony twitter handles. I also never thought it was going to turn into this. As soon as it did we expanded it to be much more than what my initial post was.

Microsoft folks haven't latched on to it. The MS info in the OP is taken for a thread that someone made just like this one but for MS and people were imploring him not to push it because they want the DRM. It was really bizarre.

MogCakes

It is not brand loyalty. Sony is the main target because famousmortimer had inside info that Sony was wavering. THAT's the reason this campaign took off. There is evidence that MS is wavering too after the huge backlash, but priorities - we chose Sony as the first target, and the entire momentum up to now has been on pressuring them. I'm not saying we shouldn't pressure MS also (we should) but we can't take the focus off Sony. There has to be a central target, and Sony is it.

SilentFlyer

I don't think changing OP title will have an opposite effect on the cause but rather it will still remain unified. It will provide MS fans a hub to find and tweet the required person. Cause is not only to push Sony to change their DRM policies (if any) but also put pressure MS so that both remains on the same boat.

Mifune

Mehmber

I think the problem is that MS including it is a foregone conclusion. Or at least that's the perception. Not so much that there's console allegiance. If Sony would have been the first to detail their used game plans, then this campaign would have likely been focused on the Xbox One to start.

The entire topic was started because according to the OP, Sony was wavering. They had apparently put it in place but took it back because of MS backlash. Thus this campaign was started to make sure they keep it that way.

That is why it was Sony centric.

No Fanboy BS at play here.

Sony is apparently at a crossroad, Microsoft is seemingly pass it.

PJV3

I tweeted Microsoft, but this new strategy could backfire, if MS ignore the campaign it could offer an out to Sony. It had Sony on its own facing a backlash, now they can hide behind each other again.

Hopefully the new tactic works and increases pressure.

JABEE

All gamers should have an opportunity to make their voice heard. Even if Microsoft has already made their decision. The more the merrier.

QP3

I never used twiter before, and i just did, i twited a message using both Hashtags, is that how it is suppose to be done?

Haha yeah I think you are good. I have twitter but literally never tweet, and actually think it is kind of silly. However, drastic times call for drastic measures.

I tweeted,

"Because DRM is bad no matter who does it #PS4NoDRM #PS4USEDGAMES #XboxOneUSEDGAMES #XboxOneNoDRM"

Is that a fragmented message? Seems pretty straightforward to me. And in case you didn't notice, people were already advocating one console over another. The equivalent Xbox thread has three pages.

I think this is a great unified tweet

Takuya

Banned
You sure, bro? I mean dude, bro? Dude? DUDE?

Get off your high horse man. I'll let that slide, but if you think my opinions reflect any kind of pro-Microsoft stance, you are sadly mistaken.

As I've said, the hash tags stay, but getting more people in the community to adopt the message can only strengthen it, not weaken it.

All people have to do is post those same hashtags on Microsoft's/Employees twitter accounts. There is no need to swap them as many have said and will be the case.

If anything posting #PS4 anything to Microsoft and their employees probably has more weight than any new hashtag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom