• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moussuki

Banned
It's really dazzling to see so many gaming journalists or commentators supporting a policy that even MS/SONY might in the end find too extreme to implement...

Nebula

XboxUK are promoting tweets on the page you get when you search for #PS4noDRM

YUukSxl.png

EDIT: Pic for you

It's kind of weird that the VP, Publisher & Developer Relations at SCEA is more supportive of such action than a gaming commentator.

Not really. These commentators often go on expenses paid trips to far off places to go and "preview" a game for publishers. EA is probably the biggest offender. None of these commentators is going to bite the hand that feeds them. It's places like Kotaku and Eurogamer who have a hardline no payola policy that are doing the work right now.

That's also why I'm surprised that The Verge haven't picked it up, usually they are all about the Twitter campaigns. I know Polygon have a report up, but The Verge has a much greater reach than Polygon.

Nebula

XboxUK are promoting tweets on the page you get when you search for #PS4noDRM

Posting for new page.

I'm also just finishing my article on this, and was wondering if it was ok to use the controller image as the featured image for the article?

winstano

There was a reply to that from @shahidkamal: "That's right Shuhei, we are going to have 'DRM' on PlayStation Vita ;-)"

To which Yosp replied ":D"

Masterful trolling

To me this is a positive sign as it is an acknowledgement of the campaign, even though he hasn't addressed it, he has acknowledged its existence.

I think it's positive that they are having fun with it. This trolling would look really bad in hindsight if they have bad news for us at E3...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
OK, that Yoshida thing is absolutely hilarious.

I think it's positive that they are having fun with it. This trolling would look really bad in hindsight if they have bad news for us at E3...

Me too.

Was chatting to a third party publisher that we deal with at the bank this morning for other business stuff, but I managed to get a bit of time in to ask about what they thought about the campaign, the contact acknowledged its existence. Said he was surprised that the campaign is against Sony because as far as he knew they weren't going to have used game DRM for PS4.

Maybe they were never going to have used game blocking and are just egging this campaign on to reap the good PR that will come from "listening" to the fans!

Moxx19

Banned
I was just watching Game Changers where Mark Cerny was interviewed. One of the questions at the end was: "What are your thoughts on DRM?" And he answers by almost spilling the beans about the PS4, but actually says PS3 and talks about how the current business model of selling the game once and "not worrying about it" was working well for them.

I wonder if his view on the whole matter will be translated onto the PS4. Around the 1:10:30 mark.

Stuart444

Me too.

Was chatting to a third party publisher that we deal with at the bank this morning for other business stuff, but I managed to get a bit of time in to ask about what they thought about the campaign, the contact acknowledged its existence. Said he was surprised that the campaign is against Sony because as far as he knew they weren't going to have used game DRM for PS4.

Maybe they were never going to have used game blocking and are just egging this campaign on to reap the good PR that will come from "listening" to the fans!

Hmm, that's hopefully good news. Did you at least tell him it's because most of us are 'worried' that they might end up having it? (or something like that)

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Me too.

I personally think this is than likely the case.

jorma

is now taking requests

Pretty much. It's only funny if they don't have to go "...but here is the news about our real DRM and it's shit news and all that "passion" was for naught" at a later date.

So yeah. This does make it sound like they are just stalling, waiting for the best timing to announce it.

Acorn

Me too.

If the end result is favourable, I'll forgive them for riding it out for good pr.

Carl

Me too.

Better to do this and play right into their PR hands, than not do it. Better to be safe than sorry, as they say!

Although as said, it's good to see them having some fun with it. As mentioned, it would look really bad if they turned around and said PS4 will have the same DRM as Xbox.

Stuart444

A friend of mines who knows Japanese said she doesn't know any serious gamers but did write a tweet about it in Japanese:

恩恵@超高校級の狛枝病 ‏@onkeikun 8h
PS4だとゲームディスクの貸し借りが友達同士で出来なくなる可能性は得策ではないというスタンスでユーザーからPlayStationに改めて考え直してほしいと懇願 #PS4DRM反対 #PS4NoDRM #PS4USEDGAMES - http://www.ps4nodrm.com/

I'm not good enough to translate all of that myself (without dissecting it for a few hours anyway) but google translate shows it's just a description of what the campaign is about I think.

Hmm, that's hopefully good news. Did you at least tell him it's because most of us are 'worried' that they might end up having it? (or something like that)

Believe me I didn't use the word "us" at any time!

I did mention that in my view as an analyst that killing off used games seems like a poor business decision for publishers everywhere as it will mean less money is recycled into new gaming products. He actually agrees with me, but said that upper management at a lot of publishers are looking for scapegoats for poor financial performance. Used gaming is seen as an easy target and developers are easily convinced because they don't benefit from people buying used games, but a lot of them don't realise that they benefit from the selling and trading of games. They aren't business people though so it's forgiveable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom