• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slair

I've actually been looking forward to the moment when all our games go completely online so we don't have to deal with retailers ripping us off with used game trade-ins and resell prices.

Yeah I'm also looking forward to not being able to buy new games 1 or 2 months after release for £15, but instead paying £40/50 for a digital copy because i cant find the game in stores anymore.

Vodh

3uqpxd.jpg

I've actually been looking forward to the moment when all our games go completely online so we don't have to deal with retailers ripping us off with used game trade-ins and resell prices.

Developers and publishers make no money off used game sales currently, and Microsoft's apparent new system for dealing with used games seems like a good step. They'll take control away from retailers and be able to set realistic prices. Maybe even set up an awesome online rental service for games so we don't have to pay full price to play! (I'd use that so much, I'd almost never buy a full game again)

If Sony decides to please the hardcore fans who are fighting for used games and no DRM, it'll only hurt Sony (as well as developers and publishers) in the long term for this short term appeasement.

Sure you'll win the right to play your games on those consoles indefinitely, but honestly, how frequently do you boot up your old consoles to play old games anyway? I think the positives of always online far outweigh the advantages of being able to trade games with friends. Besides, wait until we hear their actual plans for used games before making too many assumptions about how evil Microsoft and Sony are. Everything's going to work out fine and it'll be better for gamers overall.

The thing is, Microsoft's move would just simply move the profits from the used games market from Gamestop to Microsoft. A fully digital era will happen, but through evolution, and not revolution - and from our point of view it should be not because the company that controls it all has killed retail games, it should be because even though digital games are the inferior product (no opportunity to sell the game means it has a lower real value) we're being offered deals that are tempting enough for us to grab them.

Look at Steam. I don't even buy retail PC games anymore and it's just simply because it does not pay, Steam combines convenience with amazing prices and sales to the point where it's simply pointless to grab a physical disc. Now look at XBLA or PSN - 9 cases out of 10, Amazon or some other retailer has the game I'm looking for wayyyy cheaper than the online store. And I can sell the game if I don't like it. Banning an activity that is good for me as a consumer is not a healthy evolution of the industry, it's a disgusting, monopolistic, money-grabbing move and thinking that it would work out in the end is really wishful and gullible.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you famousmortimer, for starting this. Even though I only made seven tweets, I enjoyed being part of this.
Also, this hasn't been posted yet!?;

2CWXfjc.png

@yosp reacting to a tweet from @PS4NoDRM. Not a direct confirmation of anything, but surely, he is aware of the campaign and knew full well who he'd be reacting to.

Zarrastro

This has been awesome.

Thanks to this movement and this thread i discovered this amazing community and i joined you. It's a bit enormous for me. Keep in mind i'm used to smaller gaming forums and this one is huuuuuge O.O

I tried to help as much as i could, before and after being approved, and i'm glad the movement got so much attention from the media, and i have high hopes for E3, especially since @yosp joked about DRM in Twitter.

I agree with famousmortimer. It is time to relax, sit down and see what happens. If it's bad news, we'll see later, but now it's time for som CoJ: Gunslinger and Last of Us next week :)

As everyone already said, many thanks to everyone involved. It has been an amazing experience. Hope to see you soon in other posts :)

And also hoping this one will never be needed again :)

Domstercool

3uqpxd.jpg

Developers and publishers make no money off used game sales currently, and Microsoft's apparent new system for dealing with used games seems like a good step. They'll take control away from retailers and be able to set realistic prices. Maybe even set up an awesome online rental service for games so we don't have to pay full price to play! (I'd use that so much, I'd almost never buy a full game again)

If Sony decides to please the hardcore fans who are fighting for used games and no DRM, it'll only hurt Sony (as well as developers and publishers) in the long term for this short term appeasement.

Sure you'll win the right to play your games on those consoles indefinitely, but honestly, how frequently do you boot up your old consoles to play old games anyway? I think the positives of always online far outweigh the advantages of being able to trade games with friends. Besides, wait until we hear their actual plans for used games before making too many assumptions about how evil Microsoft and Sony are. Everything's going to work out fine and it'll be better for gamers overall.

I'm not, because then my younger brother, who owns two of the three systems I do, won't be able to borrow the games off me. He lives in the same house, but is younger, therefore has to be specific about buying his own games. So what does he do? Comes into my bedroom and borrows them and takes them back to his bedroom. I'm sorry, but I find that I have to spend double the price to allow him to do that? That's completely wrong.

It also led to him buying Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, because he had played my copy of Demon's Souls and PSP Monster Hunter.

Each to their own, but I'd like to be able to do that in the future. NO DRM!

Feorax

You might be the perfect person to answer this question for me.

What exactly is wrong with offering digital copies of games and retail copies alongside each other, and waiting for the consumer base to decide if and when they are ready for a digital distribution only library?

In other words, what's wrong with the system that already exists?

No, Mr. Dodd. Thank you.

As hokey as it may sound, I feel honored as a long time gamer to be a part of this movement you jump started. Damned honored and proud.

Even if this all blows up in our face, at least we tried. At least we god damned tried. And I am content with that.

Agreed. I've been gaming since the late 70s and I'm proud of what this place has achieved. Whether or not it makes a difference, we certainly weren't ignored - our message was heard.

Thank you, everyone
[...]
-pete 'famousmortimer' dodd
*sniff*
Who's cutting onions here?

I'm proud of you GAF, each one of you here who contributed and worked for the good cause, and each one out there who joined our campaign. We gained a lot of media coverage and the targeted people were fully aware of it. It's always amazing to see how much you can move when you hold together.

I too salute you all.

Freki

We have to thank you famousmortimer!
Without your enthusiasm this whole campaigne would never have come into existence. And no matter the outcome - we can proudly say "at least we tried"!

Good shit everyone.

hope it gets through to at least one of them.

As for the guy above, I kind of agree that it would be nice for Pubs/Devs to get some extra cash from the Gamestops of the world (although I question why they feel like theu deserve second hand money..when no other industry does it..but still I get it).

The issue is that we lose out more than Gamestop in the proposed system. Take shit from them(and other retailers) and leave us the fuck alone...it's rather simple.

and Always Online? Never good, anything that technically relies on a server is just dumb for single player games. What reason do I need to be online to play a single player game? none. Sim City and Diablo have proven that pubs and people just aren't ready yet. Yeah a lot of people have internet..but not everyone's is good and consistant.

I'll be honest, the used DRM and Always online stuff doesn't really effect me negatively. I have a relatively stable internet and my OCD makes it so I can't play when my internet is down for reasons. I don't buy used (I rent but I could manage without) and selling seems like it would still exist in a sense but I do less of that lately but still....losing the option to borrow, rent, sell, play offline is just stupid.

I am weak so I'll probably be the first to cave if Sony does it and a game I want comes out (actually payed online gaming is more of a dealbreaker for me lol) but still that isn't a great way for the industry to go. You don't force people to do stuff...you gradually change. Puff up your digital offerings and make them worth more to slowly transition to DD future, where DRM is less shit and being online constantly can be justified. But right now enforcing digital rules on physical items is just fucked.

I hope this campaign works.

if not...then Wii U Future .......

until MGS5 comes out...

Iorv3th

Oh those retailers ripping me off with options that I don't have to participate in. With the new way I guess we could stop getting ripped off with 0 trade in value and no resell price though?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Been tweeting through phase 2, which from what I can tell is to simply rejuvenate efforts to contact publishers and Microsoft. Anything else?

MogCakes

Yes you are. Everyone else has already made counterpoints to you, so I'll just say, if this campaign succeeds in convincing either of the big 2 corporations, your digital future will still be completely unaffected. Digital-only is coming, but now is not the time.

It's been awesome. And why do people keep coming in to argue with us? Are there not enough other threads for them?

Also.. how many consumer movements does a motherf*cker need to run to get a tag around here? ;)

Edited the thread title. Seems ok? Thought it might be good to shift from organization to discussion at this point, but leave it for ppl who want to continue to spread the message.

New title is perfect - thank you for all the help m0dus, from art to mod-ly duties.

Thanks to famousmortimer and everyone who helped. We made our voices heard which is as much as anyone can do, and the balls are in their court now.

Stuart444

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578810

We said MS were not likely to listen and obviously they haven't. A summary:

MUST be online once every 24 hours to continue offline play

Let a friend borrow your game, can only be given once. Friend must be on your friends list (and thus must have an XBL account/be online) for at least 30 days.

Can only trade in games to participating retailers. No Amazon or Ebay selling.

Have I missed anything?

Freki

At least we tried. :(

That's what I take comfort in.
I hope Sony doesn't go down this path as well... on the bright side - my console backlog is huge and I always was a PC Gamer first.
Still this depresses me - If the xbox one takes off then I see dark times coming :-(

Revven

I'd say start something like, "MS failed to listen but Sony you still have a chance! #ps4nodrm #ps4usedgames" around Twitter. Not that exact wording, maybe, but something like that.

Stuart444

Asking this here because it's a slower thread but does anyone think this scenario will happen:

Someone buys an Xbox One game, finishes it and puts it up on ebay to sell without knowing about the restrictions (due to being a casual non-forum/news browsing consumer).

Someone buys said game and finds out they can't play it and thus gives the previous owner on ebay negative feedback.

I foresee this happening in the first month at least.

That's what I take comfort in.
I hope Sony doesn't go down this path as well... on the bright side - my console backlog is huge and I always was a PC Gamer first.
Still this depresses me - If the xbox one takes off then I see dark times coming :-(

If I had to guess, I'd say Sony won't require any online checks put they will give publishers their own option of putting in restrictions...

Woorloog

Banned
All Sony needs to do is to allow private sales, no limits from them, no online checks, etc. bullshit. Leave them to publishers, essentially keep their hands clean from this DRM shit.
Publishers who are anti-consumer are easy to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom