• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
If the campaign stops people buying systems that are anti consumer, there is a chance it may win in the end. Play the long game and dont support any platform or publisher that uses this. And let them know.

Repeat this to people you know. NO support for MS, or publisher who side with Microsoft!

Mr Swine

Banned
If the campaign stops people buying systems that are anti consumer, there is a chance it may win in the end. Play the long game and dont support any platform or publisher that uses this. And let them know.

Or buy a PS4 and a Wii U, how hard is that? :p

Perhaps just give up on Microsoft for now and take a different direction. Have the campaign inform people since most of them would not know either way.

Stuart444

Got the Wii u, but I can see Sony allowing publishers to do the same as Microsoft are too.

Well Sony said there is no always-online requirement so a pub would have to make sure their game is always-on (somehow) to do this since the Xbox One used game system revolves entirely around the cloud/your license to the game/your license to the game being stored in the cloud where I assume the Xbox Live accounts are stored.

Got the Wii u, but I can see Sony allowing publishers to do the same as Microsoft are too.

i think thats the best we're hoping for though, Sony leaving it up to publishers. Instead of making it a system wide thing. Then we can just boycott those certain games whose pubs don't allow to sell used.

Yagharek

Well Sony said there is no always-online requirement so a pub would have to make sure their game is always-on (somehow) to do this since the Xbox One used game system revolves entirely around the cloud/your license to the game/your license to the game being stored in the cloud where I assume the Xbox Live accounts are stored.

There are already psn games that lock you out on the same terms as xbone does. Like final fight.
If the system lets them do it, publishers will do it on ps4. Mark my words.

Eusis

I didn't have any hope in X1 short of the execs simply being horrifically wrong, seems like that train's too far gone to stop.

PS4 though, we'll see. If the frustration felt online is kept and spreads it may be an opportunity for Sony to exploit, plus I doubt even in 10 years internet connectivity in some regions of the world they hope to sell to will be adequate enough.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Sony, please,

This is your biggest competitor right now.

FightClub-JackPunchSelf.gif

There are so may opportunities to build good will here.

Efforts should be redoubled towards #PS4NoDRM now really.

In truth I didn't expect Microsoft to change any plans in motion, which is why I was somewhat against the splitting of focus into what seemed like a futile exercise with Xbox One.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well, every point in the xboxonenodrm letter stands, sadly. More than ever the one about which stakeholders are being served here. Not massively surprising, but a shame.

quickfire13

Neo Member
Don't know if there is any connection, but Nick Accordino (of Sony) tweeted this out earlier, strangely after the 'clarification' of Microsoft's policies...

https://twitter.com/Nikoro/status/342780976612663296

He links to a Parappa the Rapper video titled, 'Gotta Believe' and can be seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAYcFxf7Mxo

What do you guys think?

Note: Nick Accordino was also one of the Sony employees who responded to the first wave of #PS4noDRM:

'Humbled by the outpouring of passionate PlayStation fans and their willingness to talk to us directly. Please know that we hear you. <3'

Don't know if there is any connection, but Nick Accordino (of Sony) tweeted this out earlier, strangely after the 'clarification' of Microsoft's policies...

He links to a Parappa the Rapper video titled, 'Gotta Believe' and can be seen here.

What do you guys think?

Note: Nick Accordino was also one of the Sony employees who responded to the first wave of #PS4noDRM:

'Humbled by the outpouring of passionate PlayStation fans and their willingness to talk to us directly. Please know that we hear you. <3'

BELIEVE

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Thanks for posting that quickfire13, I hope I'm not disappointed next week.

Baby Milo

What do you guys think?

please Sony

didn't sony say that used game thing is upto the publishers?

if MS came outright and said the same thing; what can sony do?

if they did develop their console with the publishers in mind - and the publishers demand that they can "control" the used physical copies,

what can sony do about it? :S

famousmortimer where are you? Heard anything new about Sony policies?

If not, maybe make a new thread for another push?

Not really, no. The general feeling from people who don't know anything specific is 'there will be something... but who knows how much.' But honestly, don't read much into that. This is just from people close to Sony... not from anyone who actually knows anything.

I am obviously extremely frustrated with MS's stance on DRM. Their system is completely non-sensical and feels arbitrary in a lot of ways. If Sony heads down this road also... I don't know what I'm going to do. I feel like I can walk away from the exclusives... even though Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch. SMS, Media Molecule and Evolution are some of my favorite studios around. The biggest hole in the PC lineup for me is sports games.... and even the Wii U aren't getting them anymore.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Stuart444

I had to step out of the other thread. Anyone else feeling really stressed and angry now?

I am feeling angry yes. Especially at people being able to defend the recent news.

Hell, who can defend "You can watch TV, blu-rays, DVDs offline always but to play games you must be online once per 24 hours"? I mean how can you spin that.

If Sony did/does anything similar, I will react the same way.

I look forward to several things at the Xbox Ones launch:

Ebay, sellers who don't know any better trying to sell Xbox One used games

People who can't play a game because their internet has gone out and they are using their phone for the internet

any lawsuits in the EU over restricting where you can sell games (and possible price fixing since if MS takes a cut of every used game, that could force used games retailers to keep prices at a certain point to avoid losing too much profit)

If Sony does the same things, I won't buy their console either. Current gen, PC, WiiU it is. I can't and won't support these policies no matter who does them.

Not really, no. The general feeling from people who don't know anything specific is 'there will be something... but who knows how much.' But honestly, don't read much into that. This is just from people close to Sony... not from anyone who actually knows anything.

I am obviously extremely frustrated with MS's stance on DRM. Their system is completely non-sensical and feels arbitrary in a lot of ways. If Sony heads down this road also... I don't know what I'm going to do. I feel like I can walk away from the exclusives... even though Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch. SMS, Media Molecule and Evolution are some of my favorite studios around. The biggest hole in the PC lineup for me is sports games.... and even the Wii U aren't getting them anymore.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
It's over folks, the dream is dead.

M-maybe not owning your retail copies isn't so bad? r-right guys? heh......heh.....

Someone make a new thread. I think we could get a ton of tweets tonight.

We can do that... but honestly 'tons of tweets' tonight isn't going to do anything. Sony knows how we feel. We don't need to keep bashing them over the head with it.

After E3, if everything is dire, we will regroup and try to find a way to put pressure on them. It will probably have less to do with twitter and more to do with the media... but we will figure out something.

I had to step out of the other thread. Anyone else feeling really stressed and angry now?

Yep.

All that confidence from last week?

Gone.

Sony's gonna follow and the moron in me will justify it because they will have some shiny new game I want or not be as fucked...but still fucked.

If Sony pisses in their own kool-aid, Nintendo better drop bombs tuesday then lol. They can turn this thing around.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
famousmortimer said:
The console definitely works offline, forever. Definitely. Take that to the bank.

Yep. Sony knows from bitter experience what a focussed DDOS attack can do, MS are just asking to taught a hard, hard, lesson.

My educated guess from talking to a bunch of people - none of whom know any specifics, but are around Sony a lot - is that if Sony has something it won't be nearly as insane as what MS just showed.

But there's little things that can cause a lot of aggravation. Microsoft is basically saying "We let publishers decide whether not you can or can't sell your games and we decide where you can do that."

Even if Sony doesn't have the other stuff but they have the above... that's not acceptable. There's an awful lot wrong with MS's policy, but the dictating what customers can and can't do with physical media that really aggravates.

xaosslug

What do you guys think?

stuff like this not only lends well to the notion that #PS4NoDRM or used games policy, but that Sony will say something at their conference.

i mean, if after all this Sony has a similar initiative to MS'... that's pretty fucked up of Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom