• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Colin Moriarty said on Twitter:

A Hard Truth: Microsoft/Sony would rather sell fewer consoles to people who buy new games than more consoles to people who buy used games.

I don't think Sony's system will be as restrictive, but I think the hopes of continuing with a PS3 like system are over

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I've updated mine already.

CyzK6P.png

Thank you kindly.

I'm about ready to see Microsoft get bit on the rear for this.

Seriously, I can barely feel any joy for the upcoming E3 right now. All I want to know is Sony's move on this. Games aside. All I want is clarification now.

nib95

Banned
Thank you kindly.

I'm about ready to see Microsoft get bit on the rear for this.

Yeap, the only shimmering light now is if they do poorly and reconsider their policies or face losses. Otherwise it becomes a new and far less consumer friendly gaming future.

This has definitely deflated E3 hype.

Im fairly certain the Sony won't be anywhere near as restrictive... but it sounds like it's going to be more restrictive than this gen.

They'll have their own system as well. It probably won't be as expansive as MS's system, but it will be there. I hope you guys are ready..

I have low expecations, but I really, really want to hear good news. As did I with Microsoft. I want to get excited about the launch of nextgen consoles, not pissed off and disappointed. It sucks.

Mandatory cameras, online checks, shitting all over used games.
This whole thing has made me super bitter towards the whole console/publisher industry.

Should of stayed the way it was. We all knew what MS was doing with DRM. Sony hasn't said anything yet. All those arguments about not adding MS were beyond valid.

MogCakes

Should of stayed the way it was. We all knew what MS was doing with DRM. Sony hasn't said anything yet. All those arguments about not adding MS were beyond valid.

Nah it's alright, we didn't know if MS had solidified yet, and Sony had already gotten the message. We did the best we could with this, no regrets dude.

This pic is growing on me.
termi_xbone_ava2.png

You have a truly limited view if you believe that. Sony's continued silence on their specifics should be a clue. If they truly are letting publishers dictate drm, be worried. Who do you think lobbied Microsoft for their brand of stupidity?

I'm okay if they purely leave it up to publishers. No system level nonsense. Put it entirely in the hands of the publishers and leave everything up to them. Much like with online passes. If that's what happens them i'm cool. I simply won't buy games from those publishers.

ec0ec0

posted this on the other thead:

why is people saying that its not that bad? ITS NOT THAT BAD?!!! ITS NOT THAT BAD WHAT? basically this xbox one generation is just going to EXIST now (during the next years). what i mean with that? Well, imagine that i like videogames (like you do) and that i was young during the N64 era. I didnt live that back in the day but i want to do it now. Can i? yes AND its going to be easy and cheap (theres a huge market for it thanks to NOT RESTRICTIONS back then). I would be able to buy everything i want from anyone i want and... you know want? i would experience that era while, at the same time, completely OWNING all that. AFTER that, it would be EASY to sell all that to anyone i want. Now, you now what TIME convined with those restrictions would do for the xbox one market? they market would be non existant (in comparation with now), restrictive, etc... i would not be posible to do, what i did with the N64 generation, with the xbox one. If i wanted to do that, I WOULD HAVE TO GO THE WAY, AND ONLY THAT WAY, THEY LET ME (microsoft or whatever)... Remember that phrase because everything related with the xbox one would work like that. And this is just ONE example. Also, remeber that all that process that we did with the N64 would not be posible for the xbox one without a "permanent" INTERNET CONECTION (and assuming that we overcome the rest of endless restrictions...) microso$f...

Blueblur1

I'm okay if they purely leave it up to publishers. No system level nonsense. Put it entirely in the hands of the publishers and leave everything up to them. Much like with online passes. If that's what happens them i'm cool. I simply won't buy games from those publishers.

Agreed. That is infinitely better than Microsoft's policies.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Fuck that, it is on SONY and MS to not allow that bullshit on their platforms. They are 100% at fault if they allow it.

I just tweeted this but I think it bears repeating... if you are mad and want to tweet to blow off steam, go for it. That certainly won't hurt.

But if my initial source was correct... the reason that Sony was moving on this issue is because of the backlash ms was getting. I think this unprecedented tidal wave of hate happening across the internet (this is much, much bigger than gaf) is actually far more likely to influence sony at this point than we are.

So like I said, if you want to tweet... tweet. But i think there's a more powerful force at work currently. We will reload and come back after e3, hard.

Man. I'm really worried Sony is going to come up with something similar at this point. I can't imagine them having nothing. Monday is going to be insanity.

Fuck that, it is on SONY and MS to not allow that bullshit on their platforms. They are 100% at fault if they allow it.

They allowed publishers to do it this gen. Your essentially getting mad for Sony to keep it the same as it always been.

The whole point of this 'movement' is to hope Sony doesn't mandate any drm on a system level or with any of their first party games.

I'm completely with you. But doesn't seem to be the reality we live in anymore. :/ It really seems like the best we can hope for is that Sony doesn't implement system level DRM and just leaves it up to publishers. Obviously it'd be great if they told publishers that they aren't allowed to block games, but that seems highly unlikely.

I just tweeted this but I think it bears repeating... if you are mad and want to tweet to blow off steam, go for it. That certainly won't hurt.

But if my initial source was correct... the reason that Sony was moving on this issue is because of the backlash ms was getting. I think this unprecedented tidal wave of hate happening across the internet (this is much, much bigger than gaf) is actually far more likely to influence sony at this point than we are.

So like I said, if you want to tweet... tweet. But i think there's a more powerful force at work currently. We will reload and come back after e3, hard.

Just to add to this, John Harker has confirmed that this was something MS was looking to do before they even talked to third party publishers. And I believe that's what you said Sony had done also, since it was a way to make more money. It'd be easier for them to back away from it if it was their own decision.

I find that amusing, considering MS was planning on implementing this tech before they even shared it with third parties

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61862381&postcount=185

If what mortimer says is true...then it doesn't require online checks.

moral victory achieved gais....

If we still have free to play online games (which btw...doesn't all of the free to play games make that more likely now...otherwise it's not really free to play lol), I'll take it at this point.

#bargainingstageisago

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

as someone lives outside USA and Europe and where we don't have big game stores or even official Microsoft or Nintendo/Sony seller even the "up to the publishers " option will hurt me because we are outside every region they support.

because even the stores import their copies even online passes can be problematic here if the the key paper missing a number you are screwed because you are outside of the disc region and can't return it or call for support.

Sony need to have balls and take advantage of this situation and have no DRM and will most likely have many markets all over the planet under their hands completely.

Scherzo

Banned
I think the problem is though that since MS buckled, that gives Publishers ammunition to force Sony to comply with allowing DRM or else they'll publish their games exclusively for Xbone, which would make the PS4 DoA.

I think an interesting difference though is the wording; with the Xbone MS leaves it up to the publisher to allow used game sales, whereas Sony has stated that there are no inherent system restrictions, but it'd be up to the Publishers to deny used sales. I think Sony at least puts the onus on publishers in terms of denying used sales. We already know they don't have a requirement of online connection, so I don't think a system as restrictive as MS's would be in place.

Some ideas the GB guys talked about that made sense to me is Publisher's locking out Used games for the first 30-days, which I can understand. I also kind of hope for an upshot of their being reduced prices, but I'm not really holding out hopes for that. Still, a recent flash sale that GS and WB Interactive gives me hope that old-school retailers can potentially adapt to the Steam-style of offering very competitively priced games.

quickfire13

Neo Member
https://twitter.com/Nikoro

After posting earlier about him posting the Parappa the Rapper video, 'Gotta Believe' in reference to E3, I was watching his twitter feed; and circa 35 minutes ago (of this post), he was in a conversation regarding licenses and the thought of losing digital media to a glitch in a computer. All the while he was still promising the PS4 was to 'excite' us at E3.

'PS4's going to be wonderful for many reasons. I have no doubt that this E3's going to leave you even more pumped!'

Now you can say this is just typical PR bullshit, but he only has 738 Followers, he wouldn't be pressured or required to answer by marketing because he isn't high profile enough. But worth noting is that he left an enthusiastic answer after complaining about licenses and digital releases/the worth of physical media.

He seems very skeptical about a future like that:

'Like when I've lost power? Or when my internet goes out? Or there's an error with my account? Or the game isn't re-downloadable?'

My question is why would he say something like that above(PS4) when he knows that he just received a boost in his followers from the exposure he received from the #PS4noDRM campaign? Surely he is aware of the negativity and backlash that could be and would be wrought upon him if he blatantly got our hopes up, especially since he is skeptical about digital himself.

Meh, perhaps I am being too optimistic :/. What does GAF think?

androvsky

I'm cautiously optimistic. All the no-internet DRM schemes I know of would be relatively expensive to implement and if the execs start thinking it won't help profits much they'll probably be more than happy to ditch it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm sure I'm missing some piece of the puzzle, but why can't publishers just use CD keys like on PC if they want no used games? Why the need for system level always-online DRM?

I'm cautiously optimistic. All the no-internet DRM schemes I know of would be relatively expensive to implement and if the execs start thinking it won't help profits much they'll probably be more than happy to ditch it.

After feeling like the sky was falling on this industry i feel more optimistic now myself. I don't think Cerny had taken the ps4 this far to let it get hung up in such stupid shit.

Maybe I'm just going through the stages of grief. :/

"Anyway, this already makes it clear that if publishers want to DRM-up the PS4 they'll have to use third-party means to do so, which actually has nothing to do with the PS4 or Sony (e.g., sort of like how Ubisoft uses Uplay DRM for games on Steam or EA used to use Online Passes).

This clears up a few things:
1.) The PlayStation 4 can play games offline without having to be online. This was clarified the day of the PS4's reveal back on February 20th.
2.) Sony will not have any mandatory DRM for used games. You can buy, play, trade used games on the PlayStation 4 just as usual. No additional registration fees, pay-walls or internet registration required.
3.) If you so choose, you can play games from disc, download them from the digital store or remote load them. Sony doesn't mandate any method over the other for multi-format titles.
4.) Just for extra clarification the PlayStation 4 does not and will not require a constant always-on internet connection."

source: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/It-Official-PS4-Feature-Used-Game-DRM-Like-Xbox-One-56264.html

"Anyway, this already makes it clear that if publishers want to DRM-up the PS4 they'll have to use third-party means to do so, which actually has nothing to do with the PS4 or Sony (e.g., sort of like how Ubisoft uses Uplay DRM for games on Steam or EA used to use Online Passes).

This clears up a few things:
1.) The PlayStation 4 can play games offline without having to be online. This was clarified the day of the PS4's reveal back on February 20th.
2.) Sony will not have any mandatory DRM for used games. You can buy, play, trade used games on the PlayStation 4 just as usual. No additional registration fees, pay-walls or internet registration required.
3.) If you so choose, you can play games from disc, download them from the digital store or remote load them. Sony doesn't mandate any method over the other for multi-format titles.
4.) Just for extra clarification the PlayStation 4 does not and will not require a constant always-on internet connection."

source: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/It-Official-PS4-Feature-Used-Game-DRM-Like-Xbox-One-56264.html

That article, unfortunately, is not correct.

It is correct that the system doesn't ever need to go online... but the proposed used game drm is an offline tech.

Sean*O

I think the problem is though that since MS buckled, that gives Publishers ammunition to force Sony to comply with allowing DRM or else they'll publish their games exclusively for Xbone, which would make the PS4 DoA.

I think an interesting difference though is the wording; with the Xbone MS leaves it up to the publisher to allow used game sales, whereas Sony has stated that there are no inherent system restrictions, but it'd be up to the Publishers to deny used sales. I think Sony at least puts the onus on publishers in terms of denying used sales. We already know they don't have a requirement of online connection, so I don't think a system as restrictive as MS's would be in place.

Some ideas the GB guys talked about that made sense to me is Publisher's locking out Used games for the first 30-days, which I can understand. I also kind of hope for an upshot of their being reduced prices, but I'm not really holding out hopes for that. Still, a recent flash sale that GS and WB Interactive gives me hope that old-school retailers can potentially adapt to the Steam-style of offering very competitively priced games.

When PS4 sells 20:1 vs Xbone publishers will not sit idle and pass up that user base. If they do, they die, and new publishers and developers pop up to take their place, just like any other business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom