• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: Making PS4 always-online was never considered

Cyberia

Over the past few months, there has been a lot of talk about always-online. Much of the discussion stemmed from rumors about the next Xbox, which was initially said to require a form of always-online connection in order to function. However, the latest conjecture indicates that users will be able to experience single-player titles, run Blu-rays, and watch live television without the Internet.

With such strong speculation about always-online and how it relates to the next Xbox, one has to wonder if Sony ever considered this type of functionality for the PlayStation 4. That would be a no, according to Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida. The company’s main reasoning is that “many countries don’t have robust Internet connections.”

Yoshida explained to Game Informer:

“Did we consider it? No, we didn’t consider it. The main reason being that many countries don’t have robust Internet connections. It makes sense for people to have Internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw do not really have robust Internet.”

http://gamingeverything.com/47204/yoshida-making-ps4-always-online-was-never-considered/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So where did these rumors come from? Was it the game industry's version of a conspiracy theory?.. Or were plans in the works, but scrapped?

Ploid 3.0

It's kinda ridiculous that Next Box was even rumored to be online required, but when you think of MS' history you kinda think anything is possible. Darn Win8 and it's touchscreen design for PC.

oVerde

Banned
Is it really necessary?

So where did these rumors come from? Was it the game industry's version of a conspiracy theory?.. Or were plans in the works, but scrapped?

I guess people are just DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

Vdl2LrE.gif

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Always on is mental. We need to game alone once in a while.

Gadirok

Really annoys me at how many people actually believed that the system would have been always online before the press conference on the 20th of February.

Even the people who think Nextbox is always online. I don't believe MS is that stupid to ignore all the developing countries out there. Not everyone has access to internet connections at their home who is willing to spend money on consoles. I know a lot of people in some countries who just prefer to use the internet at internet cafes than purchasing a at home service.

Eusis

Which patent?
One that doesn't require the internet, otherwise he just made one up. The concept was that each disc would have an FM chip or something and get authorized to that console, and functionality would be limited on other consoles. Basically NFC enabled games, but I guess it's just a patent for now.

ReaperXL7

Are they doing anything to prevent devs from making games from having to be always online?

The only thing they could do is tell pubs like Ubisoft, and EA that their games are not allowed on playstation, then they would only end up like the Wii U. Nobody wants that unless you just love Nintendo with all your heart.

I hope Microsoft says the same thing just so I can read all the "bullshit" & "they changed after the backlash" posts and have a good laugh.

artist

Banned
But he didnt outright deny it earlier. DONT BELIEVE HIS LIES!

Atleast Microsoft is being honest and upfront about it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The one that was posted on GAF a while back. I'm sure you know of it's existence.

You know, the patent by Sony, the multinational corporation with thousands of employees in hundreds of departments than made a patent that considered always online for the PS4. That patent.

prwxv3

using the patent as proof was always silly to me when you consider that Sony has thousands of silly patents they never even use.

Eusis

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506560

However this patent is more about blocking used games. I think always online somehow evolved from this in rumors.
It's worth remembering a similar patent surfaced before the PS3... and possibly the PS2. Sony's definitely interested in ways to block used sales, but nothing practical enough I imagine to actually use has surfaced, I kind of expect the cost of putting FM chips or whatever on discs outweighs the lost revenue from used sales, thus it's purely a spiteful move rather than a practical one, and similar applies to requiring the internet on console games. If they figure out something that's reasonably affordable (or the internet really does become that ubiquitous and stable around the world) then we'll need to be afraid.

On the plus side, with these patents everyone else is hopefully either blocked off from using them or has to go more and more out of their way to find a way to do it thanks to Sony neurotically patenting all options they come up with.

Reiko

Banned
using the patent as proof was always silly to me when you consider that Sony has thousands of silly patents they never even use.

Well that's how bullshit rumors start.

Funny that we have no documentation anywhere of either PS4 or Durango requiring the Internet to even function.

Nibel

It's really sad that something like this has to be said by a company spokesperson in 2013

"Yes, you can play your offline games without a internet connection"

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Well that's how bullshit rumors start.

Funny that we have no documentation anywhere of either PS4 or Durango requiring the Internet to even function.

So your contribution was to nebulously cite a single patent as contrary evidence to the OT. It's not even April 1st either...

ymmv

Banned
Sony is still firing on all cylinders. Now I want to know if they stick with all games being region free.

0xCA2

Always online Dev Kits

Marketing speak about "always on" included in dev kit documentation

Rumors about no used games

Not everyone involved with the console fully understands its features, so it's easy for someone to not have the big picture but still want to spread rumors

Top Bottom