• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: Making PS4 always-online was never considered

Reiko

Banned
Except "always online" and "anti-used" ARE NOT MUTALLY EXCLUSIVE AND THE PATENT NEVER EVEN ENTAILED AN ONLINE CONNECTION. I need to repeat myself, the patent was specifically for a NFC sort of DRM, where a disc gets authorized for a system and is crippled in functionality on other systems, even if you could buy full access online or whatever that still doesn't mean the internet needs to be there at all for the system and new games to work.

So now let's put 2 and 2 together...

The Sony patent only correlates to blocking used games via a offline device.
The Durango dev kits ARE rumored to be Internet required with a 3 minute delay to avoid leaks.
The Xbox 360 was listed as always online, always connected.

How did anyone ever get to the conclusion that one of these consoles would be Internet only?

Except "always online" and "anti-used" ARE NOT MUTALLY EXCLUSIVE AND THE PATENT NEVER EVEN ENTAILED AN ONLINE CONNECTION. I need to repeat myself, the patent was specifically for a NFC sort of DRM, where a disc gets authorized for a system and is crippled in functionality on other systems, even if you could buy full access online or whatever that still doesn't mean the internet needs to be there at all for the system and new games to work.

I wasn't speaking so much about the patent as i was about conversations with friends inside sony over the last year. Always online and no used games were put on the table and both were decided against. Honestly who would make a console these days without taking atleast a cursory glance at how they would accomplish it and what it would mean for sales. Sony took a look and didn't like the results and ditched them both. It seems Microsoft is doing the same thing.

Gestault

Can we please agree that a stated policy and tech implementation to allow publishers to require online (even in the case of single-player titles) moving forward on all PS4 software is proof the language that they "never considered it" is rubbish?

I see some confusion about the anti-used game patent and some rhetorical disagreement, but I'd hope that much is clear.

Eusis

So now let's put 2 and 2 together...

The Sony patent only correlates to blocking used games via a offline device.
The Durango dev kits ARE rumored to be Internet required with a 3 minute delay to avoid leaks.
The Xbox 360 was listed as always online, always connected.

How did anyone ever get to the conclusion that one of these consoles would be Internet only?
Mainly by correlating dev kits with consumer models and not making it clear they only had dev kit knowledge (IF I'm remembering right.) Durango certainly came closer to actual practice, and it didn't help that Windows 8 came off as a bad idea that Microsoft just ran with full steam anyway implying they might do the same with any such bad decisions for Xbox.
I wasn't speaking so much about the patent as i was about conversations with friends inside sony over the last year. Always online and no used games were put on the table and both were decided against. Honestly who would make a console these days without taking atleast a cursory glance at how they would accomplish it and what it would mean for sales. Sony took a look and didn't like the results and ditched them both. It seems Microsoft is doing the same thing.
Ah, I didn't know you had actual insider knowledge, sorry about that then!

Corto

Can we please agree that a stated policy and tech implementation to allow publishers to require online (even in the case of single-player titles) moving forward on all PS4 software is proof the language that they "never considered it" is rubbish?

I see some confusion about the anti-used game patent and some rhetorical disagreement, but I'd hope that much is clear.

No. But you can keep drumming that drum.

Serenity

I just don't see how if policies were the same how Durango got stuck with the always online rumor and not the ps4. It had to be on the table for ms at some point unless the theory is there is a conspiracy to spread false Durango rumors or devs have poor mental capacity and reading comprehension and can't figure out Dev kits needing to be online is different than consumer Durangos needing to be online.

Gestault

No. But you can keep drumming that drum.

Considering (a) it makes sense, and (b) we have insider information corroborating it

("I wasn't speaking so much about the patent as i was about conversations with friends inside sony over the last year. Always online and no used games were put on the table and both were decided against. Honestly who would make a console these days without taking atleast a cursory glance at how they would accomplish it and what it would mean for sales. Sony took a look and didn't like the results and ditched them both. It seems Microsoft is doing the same thing.")

I think it's more a case of you not wanting something to be true than it not being true. You're not willing to accept the idea that they considered it. Think about that.

R...right, except considering there's a patent owned by Sony to disallow used games even without internet oversight, and a policy and tech implementation to allow publishers to require online even for single-player titles moving forward, the claim that they never considered it is demonstrably a lie.
There isn't. If publishers want to make their game always online they need to do it themselves. Just like on PS3. There is no policy. Sony can't forbid publishers to make their game connect to their servers.

I just don't see how if policies were the same how Durango got stuck with the always online rumor and not the ps4. It had to be on the table for ms at some point unless the theory is there is a conspiracy to spread false Durango rumors or devs have poor mental capacity and reading comprehension and can't figure out Dev kits needing to be online is different than consumer Durangos needing to be online.
Well, I don't believe there was any rumors for always online for the PS4.
Considering (a) it makes sense, and (b) we have insider information corroborating it

("I wasn't speaking so much about the patent as i was about conversations with friends inside sony over the last year. Always online and no used games were put on the table and both were decided against. Honestly who would make a console these days without taking atleast a cursory glance at how they would accomplish it and what it would mean for sales. Sony took a look and didn't like the results and ditched them both. It seems Microsoft is doing the same thing.")

I think it's more a case of you not wanting something to be true than it not being true. You're not willing to accept the idea that they considered it. Think about that.
I'm wondering if that was the same guy who had info on an Insomniac Sony fallout.

kuroshiki

It's more like you are making some serious BS. Unless you can read mind, you can't be sure what they considered.

Eusis

Not perfect though. It's missing an account system which would allow it to be like the PS3 which is what I consider true region.
I blame that on the likes of Apple making it standard to not have multiple accounts on portable devices. And coming from phones it kinda makes sense as you don't really WANT to share that, but it's frustrating on tablets and handhelds.

cloudyy

There isn't. If publishers want to make their game always online they need to do it themselves. Just like on PS3. There is no policy. Sony can't forbid publishers to make their game connect to their servers.
Bionic Commando Rearmed always online DRM uses PSN and not Capcom servers afaik.

prwxv3

Well, I don't believe there was any rumors for always online for the PS4.I'm wondering if that was the same guy who had info on an Insomniac Sony fallout.

With sony greenlighting a Ratchet and Clank movie I think its safe to say that was complete bullshit.

Gestault

It's more like you are making some serious BS. Unless you can read mind, you can't be sure what they considered.

So famousmortimer is lying? And the optional requirement for online that they've addressed is most certainly specific to the platform. It was compared to Bionic Commando Re-Armed.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It depends on what you mean by considering it. Did someone bring it up at some preliminary meeting on the feasibility of "mandatory internet connection"?

If that is what considered means, then of course. Everything is being considered.

Was it considered in 2012? Was infrastructure being built for it? Yoshida's answer implies no.

Reiko

Banned
It depends on what you mean by considering it. Did someone bring it up at some preliminary meeting on the feasibility of "mandatory internet connection"?

If that is what considered means, then of course. Everything is being considered.

Was it considered in 2012? Was infrastructure being built for it? Yoshida's answer implies no.

And unless someone recorded this hypothetical meeting, how would anyone even know? lol

Corto

No disrespect to famousmortimer, but I have an insider also. It's Yoshida. And I ultimately don't care enough about this to carry on with it to a downward spiral of semantics, mind-reading and system policies vs. publisher options discussions. So, as I said before, keep drumming that drum.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Can't we just be happy that we don't have to put up with this dumb crap instead of having a witch hunt over whether they anybody even considered it or thought about considering it or talked to their plants or their cat about it?

Reiko

Banned
That's...not the same thing as saying games can't be played offline. You realize that, right?

Yeah. It's PSPGO the console.

BTW... Just reading the title of the article is a form of misinformation. Which is how always-online suddenly becomes Internet only.

UmpOi.gif

Gestault

There is a difference between talking about it and considering implementing it.

Or they're actually the same thing. If this whole exchange (not specifically with you) was because half the room was "silly" enough to think that consider meant "to think carefully about (something), typically before making a decision," I'll be annoyed.

Well, I don't believe there was any rumors for always online for the PS4.I'm wondering if that was the same guy who had info on an Insomniac Sony fallout.

Girl, but yes. I've mentioned many times that rumors float around sony just like they do here (and any corporation, really) and sometimes they are wrong. The vast, vast majority of the stuff I've mentioned has been correct (or else I would have been banned a long time ago) I do believe jstevenson (SP?) and consider that rumor dead but as others pointed out he never did say they had a dev kit. But if they are working on unannounced games that info would be under nda. So, yeah, in that case I think she heard something in the halls of Sony and it turned out to be a rumor and not fact. Which is good, of course, as I love the shit out of insomniac games (and am trying to not have a reason to buy a durango)

As for what I'm saying here it's not particularly shocking news. When developing a machine a ton of ideas are considered and of course always online was. Is there any better drm than always online? I mean from their point of view, not ours. It was tossed much earlier than no used games according to a couple friends there. No used games was still a mystery to most folks at Sony until the unveiling. And as i have said before the 8gbs of ram was a shock to almost the entirety of Sony. That was supposedly made at the last minute at the behest of Cerny wanting to make a big splash with consumers and developers. I had friends *working on ps4 games* who until that conference were working under the assumption of 4gb of ram.

Garjon

They obviously did consider it, solely because Yoshida has a reason for not going for it. However, I don't believe it ever got past this stage i.e. they never made any plans to put into their software.

DaBoss

That's great to hear, but I don't like the fact he said a reason. It implies they did consider it.

Too bad this doesn't stop some damn pubs/devs in implementing always-online. :(

so essentially what 720 is likely to also be doing: improved functionality, supplemented features, and social benefits to being online always, but no hard requirement that will block you out of features that don't explicitly *NEED* an internet connection. IE: sp games, using the console at all, or accessing media stored on the device.

i have no doubt that PS4 will have some features that benefit those that are always online, just like 720, but obviously many people won't really care about them either way. all i know is i didn't see a shitty PS3 ticker at the top of those PS4 GUI pics from a while back.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yeah. It's PSPGO the console.

BTW... Just reading the title of the article is a form of misinformation. Which is how always-online suddenly becomes Internet only.
Well, always-online becomes Internet only because that's what it actually is. I think you're looking for a different matchup there ;)

I'm sure the always online rumor for Durango wouldn't have lingered as long as it did across various gaming communities who have been sifting through every morsel of info and been analyzing it 7 ways till Sunday, if it was just a simple matter of title bait.

Reiko

Banned
Well, always-online becomes Internet only because that's what it actually is. I think you're looking for a different matchup there ;)

I'm sure the always online rumor for Durango wouldn't have lingered as long as it did across various gaming communities who have been sifting through every morsel of info and been analyzing it 7 ways till Sunday, if it was just a simple matter of title bait.

Well...

ScreenShot054_zps0d95e40b.png

those evil Microsoft bastards have had this planned since the 360 reveal

^MS will use the same lingo for their console after Durango and people will still not learn from previous mistakes.

driver116

You're probably looking into it a little too much. Yoshida's words usually get taken out of context and then there's the whole translation element.

Gestault

You're probably looking into it a little too much. Yoshida's words usually get taken out of context and then there's the whole translation element.

So the fact that he gives an official explanation for why they chose not to do it ["The main reason being that many countries don’t have robust Internet connections. It makes sense for people to have Internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw do not really have robust Internet."] isn't reason to think they considered it? So it's a translation problem?

VUA8Fye.png

Top Bottom