• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: Making PS4 always-online was never considered

artist

Banned
That accusatory tone backfired a bit. :p
lolm1d0c.gif

Haha, why would any company make something so dumb? It doesn't add value for your customer and it's marginalized as fuck. So dumb.

Anyway, good on Sony & MS too if they ultimately don't go this route.

Eusis

Well that's how bullshit rumors start.

Funny that we have no documentation anywhere of either PS4 or Durango requiring the Internet to even function.
With the Durango we had numerous leaks about anti-used and always online, whereas with the PS4 we have one patent in a line of patents that Sony claims but never actually use, one of those involving mind control. It was always infinitely more solid with Durango as far as rumors go, even though it's looking like (hopefully) that's not going to be anti-used, nevermind always online never actually came up with the PS4.

cloudyy

It's really sad that something like this has to be said by a company spokesperson in 2013

"Yes, you can play your offline games without a internet connection"
And to be fair, he's not even saying that. He's saying you don't need to be always online because some don't have robust internet, not because some don't have internet. Still waiting for a confirmation that you don't need internet AT ALL.

Reiko

Banned
With the Durango we had numerous leaks about anti-used and always online, whereas with the PS4 we have one patent in a line of patents that Sony claims but never actually use, one of those involving mind control. It was always infinitely more solid with Durango as far as rumors go, even though it's looking like (hopefully) that's not going to be anti-used, nevermind always online never actually came up with the PS4.

I guess that makes sense.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Sony is still firing on all cylinders. Now I want to know if they stick with all games being region free.

They're making good money as it is, why would they change that?

Well that's how bullshit rumors start.

Funny that we have no documentation anywhere of either PS4 or Durango requiring the Internet to even function.

That, at least, is not true. There are enough official documents mentioning always online from MS. They have rowed back on it now, but as recently as January documents from Redmond and Cambridge were all talking about an "always connected experience".

prwxv3

Really though have any of you read a bunch of the patents Sony has? Some of them are absurd and no where near useable in any form.

Reiko

Banned
That, at least, is not true. There are enough official documents mentioning always online from MS. They have rowed back on it now, but as recently as January documents from Redmond and Cambridge were all talking about an "always connected experience".

The Xbox 360 documents were also labeled as always online, always connected though.

There are also patents for time machines.

The difference is that Sony patent could actually work in real life.

And to be fair, he's not even saying that. He's saying you don't need to be always online because some don't have robust internet, not because some don't have internet. Still waiting for a confirmation that you don't need internet AT ALL.

So you're saying you'll need to go online to activate games?
lying sons of bitches!

0xCA2

Are you sure about that? I thought it was about both of them. The original rumors were that anti-used games initiatives would lead to both consoles being always online, then Trenton cleared it up the night of the reveal, I think. Hell I don't know.

Are you sure about that? I thought it was about both of them. The original rumors were that anti-used games initiatives would lead to both consoles being always online, then Trenton cleared it up the night of the reveal, I think. Hell I don't know.
I don't remember any rumors like that for Sony, can't find much on Google either.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

I don't know about Sony and required always-online. It originally started about non-used games and Sony filed that patent that allowed them to do that offline.

Many responded to either of these rumors and news threads that either both companies do it or none will do it.

Reiko

Banned
I don't know about Sony and required always-online. It originally started about non-used games and Sony filed that patent that allowed them to do that offline.

Many responded to either of these rumors and news threads that either both companies do it or none will do it.

I think the knowledge of Durango devkits being rumored of being Internet only fed more fuel to the fire.

Yea that's where a lot of people were wrong about. There were no rumors about Sony ever blocking used games, but people thought the patents meant otherwise.

There were rumors of the PS3 blocking used games last gen. They just keep popping up every new console launch.

I expect another gen of some people forgetting.

Eusis

The difference is that Sony patent could actually work in real life.
I won't lie, it'll be very interesting if they can get real world applications for their brain control patent.
Like others said what they patented was a way to do it offline. It's just many were thinking always online through what I suspect is a combination of misinformation, and the fact requiring a system to be always online or at least require the internet actually makes far, far more sense then blowing the money on putting anything more on the disc itself. Way cheaper just to print a sheet of paper, especially with them removing/banning manuals.

So presumably when some publisher this generation tries to put single-player Catwoman behind an online paywall, Sony will reject the game and refuse to certify it for release. And if some PSN dev tries to pull a Bionic Commando Rearmed and not allow their single-player PSN game to be played when your PSN is down, they'll refuse to certify that too.

And they certainly wouldn't allow a publisher to put even MORE content than Catwoman on a retail disc game behind an online paywall.

Right?

RIGHT?

Corto

It was never considered... But a patent does exist.

Of course. If a technology has the potential to turn into a competitive advantage, a company will protect itself patenting its implementation for future use if needed. Doesn't mean it was realistically considered for use on the PS4.

Also ,obligatory funny Sony patent picture:

QyMPSbi.jpg

So where did these rumors come from? Was it the game industry's version of a conspiracy theory?.. Or were plans in the works, but scrapped?

The prevailing theory is that MS patched in a lockout timer to their Developer Kits after SuperDAE tried to sell some on Ebay that mandated an internet connection, and would lock the unit after 3 minutes of not having one.

Some third-party developers took this to mean that this was a consumer unit feature and leaked it to certain publications. Those publications put it on the internet, and, so soon after the SimCity debacle, the internet ran with it.

prwxv3

So presumably when some publisher this generation tries to put single-player Catwoman behind an online paywall, Sony will reject the game and refuse to certify it for release. And if some PSN dev tries to pull a Bionic Commando Rearmed and not allow their single-player PSN game to be played when your PSN is down, they'll refuse to certify that too.

And they certainly wouldn't allow a publisher to put even MORE content than Catwoman on a retail disc game behind an online paywall.

Right?

RIGHT?

No. Sony are in no position to do that.

Right?

RIGHT?
No. Publishers can do this on PS3 already.

Right?

RIGHT?

You already know the answer. Stop denying the truth, embrace it. Become one with the reality of the situation.

No. Sony are in no position to do that.

Do you honestly think that Capcom just chose to not make Bionic Commando Rearmed online-only on XBLA and to only do that on PSN? Really?

They did it where they were allowed.

Sony and Microsoft can take a stronger position with their TCRs if they want to be consumer-friendly.

Eusis

The prevailing theory is that MS patched in a lockout timer to their Developer Kits after SuperDAE tried to sell some on Ebay that mandated an internet connection, and would lock the unit after 3 minutes of not having one.

Some third-party developers took this to mean that this was a consumer unit feature and leaked it to certain publications. Those publications put it on the internet, and, so soon after the SimCity debacle, the internet ran with it.
Which honestly makes a lot more sense to me than actually going for always online: you got stung by some asshole selling off dev kits, so you set it up that at least before release you don't get burned like that again. Then some idiots took the wrong message and made THAT into a PR nightmare, meaning they simply couldn't win.
Do you honestly think that Capcom just chose to not make Bionic Commando Rearmed online-only on XBLA and to only do that on PSN? Really?

They did it where they were allowed.
It's worth remembering this came out when we had 5 system activation limits and couldn't disable online, I think they deterred more from doing this by enabling online activations but reducing the number of activated consoles to two.

Plus that was also before the PSN outage, I think post-outage anyone's going to look far more like a giant fucking asshole than before, and it was despicable then anyway.

"Always connected experience" is a MUCH different terminology than "mandates persistent connection"

PS4 has an always connected experience, so do Apple TV, and Roku, and Xbox 360, and PS3, and Durango.

None of these devices however mandate a connection for local content

Gestault

One that doesn't require the internet, otherwise he just made one up. The concept was that each disc would have an FM chip or something and get authorized to that console, and functionality would be limited on other consoles. Basically NFC enabled games, but I guess it's just a patent for now.

Except that they've already deployed that tech for the Vita cross-buy versions of PS3 games. That's how, using only the disc and internet access, users can only access the extra data for one activation per disc. It's being used right now.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Except that they've already deployed that tech for the Vita cross-buy versions of PS3 games. That's how, using only the disc and internet access, users can only access the extra data for one activation per disc. It's being used right now.
Nope. The patent was about a different thing. This is regular Blu-Ray redemption requiring an online connection and not the offline patent that people are referring to in this thread.

Gestault

Considering Sony's already made the statement that they will allow developers/publishers to choose if a title requires an internet connection for the title to work, I think the claim that they "never considered it" is a thinly veiled deceit.

At least it's marketing speech to play up a good decision they did thankfully make.

Reiko

Banned
I don`t believe him, that they never considered it, but in the end they made the right decision and i`m very happy about that.

It's good PR.

There's no definite, smoking gun proof from either console makers that it was considered for retail consoles. They can come out looking good either way.

Corto

Considering Sony's already made the statement that they will allow developers/publishers to choose if a title requires an internet connection for the title to work, I think the claim that they "never considered it" is a thinly veiled deceit.

At least it's marketing speech to play up a good decision they did thankfully make.

A systemic policy is very different than giving the choice to the publisher in a case-by-case scenario. The last already existed on the PS3.

Eusis

Yep. I like yoshida but he is full of shit on this one.
Except "always online" and "anti-used" ARE NOT MUTALLY EXCLUSIVE AND THE PATENT NEVER EVEN ENTAILED AN ONLINE CONNECTION. I need to repeat myself, the patent was specifically for a NFC sort of DRM, where a disc gets authorized for a system and is crippled in functionality on other systems, even if you could buy full access online or whatever that still doesn't mean the internet needs to be there at all for the system and new games to work.

Gestault

A systemic policy is very different than giving the choice to the publisher in a case-by-case scenario. The last already existed on the PS3.

R...right, except considering there's a patent owned by Sony to disallow used games even without internet oversight, and a policy and tech implementation to allow publishers to require online even for single-player titles moving forward, the claim that they never considered it is demonstrably a lie.

Top Bottom