• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: Making PS4 always-online was never considered

Except "always online" and "anti-used" ARE NOT MUTALLY EXCLUSIVE AND THE PATENT NEVER EVEN ENTAILED AN ONLINE CONNECTION. I need to repeat myself, the patent was specifically for a NFC sort of DRM, where a disc gets authorized for a system and is crippled in functionality on other systems, even if you could buy full access online or whatever that still doesn't mean the internet needs to be there at all for the system and new games to work.

Yeah, the whole point of the RFID is that the scheme works without needing internet connectivity at all.

The Durango dev kits ARE rumored to be Internet required with a 3 minute delay to avoid leaks.

A devkit timeout isn't a rumor, it's an incredibly strained theory that attempts to rationalize a rumor about consumer units timing out.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Does anyone here actually believe him? Of course it was considered and I am sure Sony has plans in store to implement this later if necessary.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Like a bouse.

Eusis said:
Except "always online" and "anti-used" ARE NOT MUTALLY EXCLUSIVE AND THE PATENT NEVER EVEN ENTAILED AN ONLINE CONNECTION. I need to repeat myself, the patent was specifically for a NFC sort of DRM, where a disc gets authorized for a system and is crippled in functionality on other systems, even if you could buy full access online or whatever that still doesn't mean the internet needs to be there at all for the system and new games to work.

Reiko said:
The Durango dev kits ARE rumored to be Internet required with a 3 minute delay to avoid leaks.
A devkit timeout isn't a rumor, it's an incredibly strained theory that attempts to rationalize a rumor about consumer units timing out.

Yeah, the whole point of the RFID is that the scheme works without needing internet connectivity at all.

The above are accurate but there is no context:

1) Both Durango and PS4 are designed to be DVRs and servers to handhelds. As such they need AOAC (Always On Always Connected) features but must meet EU & Energy Star regs. ARM and Microsoft have a scheme that allows < 500mw but always connected to WiFi-Blutooth-CEC-LAN to see a request for service.

2) APD (Auto Power Down) another feature required by Energy Star won't work properly unless all games are run from a Hard Disk.

The above creates a situation where the same Game optical disk could be used to install the game on multiple Consoles. This lead to speculation on how Microsoft and Sony would overcome this vulnerability. It explains the Sony Near Field Communication or RFID patent as Sony saw the issue also.

Microsoft is Touting their AOAC Windows 8 feature and this leads to many confusing it with AOAC being a requirement rather than a feature that will be much in demand with the FCC RVU mandate creating a situation where all homes have a LAN network.

Moxx19

Banned
I love now that all this "Always Online" bullshit has been put to rest, the argument now becomes: BUT THEY THOUGHT ABOUT DOING IT THOSE EVIL BASTARDS!

No shit. They were designing a new console, its no surprise many aspects of features and design were brought up to see if they were worth implementing.

I'm just glad now that both companies have shut this down. Finally, we can move on , right?

driver116

So the fact that he gives an official explanation for why they chose not to do it ["The main reason being that many countries don’t have robust Internet connections. It makes sense for people to have Internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw do not really have robust Internet."] isn't reason to think they considered it? So it's a translation problem?

VUA8Fye.png

Do you understand what context means? Sony have made it clear: GAMERS are first - hence always-online wouldn't best serve their consumers (a simple feasibility study would've been the case here).

2014 20nm Volcanic Islands block diagram:

Notice the following server functions in the block diagrams:

ARM Trustzone First in the list and I assume Trustzone makes all the following secure.

DASH DMTF SMASH

SMASH = Systems Management Architecture for Server Hardware

DMTF&#8217;s Desktop and mobile Architecture for System Hardware (DASH) Standard is a suite of specifications that takes full advantage of DMTF&#8217;s Web Services for Management (WS-Management) specification &#8211; delivering standards-based Web services management for desktop and mobile client systems. Through DASH, DMTF provides the next generation of standards for secure out-of-band and remote management of desktop and mobile systems.

DASH 1.1 Features and Benefits

KVM (Keyboard, Video and Mouse) and text console redirection support Provides the capability to manage KVM and text console redirections provided by the system.
USB and media redirection support Provides the capability to manage USB and media redirections provided by the system.
BIOS (Basic Input Output System) Management Provides the capability to remotely change BIOS settings.
NIC (Network Interface Card) Management Provides management of MAC and IP addresses, DNS and DHCP configuration. Adds the capability to represent and manage a network port that provides a LAN interface and its associated controller.
Operating System Status Enables representation of OS name/version and OS status.
Opaque Data Management (offline mailbox) Enables manageability of data storage that can be used by management applications in band and out of band.
Software Update Provides management interfaces for updating firmware and software.
Battery Management Provides the capability to represent and manage batteries.
Advanced Server RAS (Remote Access Server)

AMD-V Virtualization can help increase your datacenter efficiency while increasing the value and capabilities of your company's IT investment by allowing multiple operating systems, applications and user sessions to run simultaneously on a single computing system.

AMD-P Remote management of this needs security.

AMD CoolCore&#8482; Technology, which can reduce energy consumption by turning off unused parts of the processor
AMD Smart Fetch Technology, which helps reduce power consumption by allowing idle cores to enter a "halt" state, causing them to draw even less power during processing idle times, without compromising system performance
Independent Dynamic Core Technology, which enables variable clock frequency for each core, depending on the specific performance requirement of the applications it is supporting, helping to reduce power consumption
Dual Dynamic Power Management&#8482; (DDPM&#8482;) Technology, which provides an independent power supply to the cores and to the memory controller, allowing the cores and memory controller to operate on different voltages, depending on usage
AMD PowerCap manager gives the ability to put a cap on the P-state level of a core via the BIOS enabled, helping to deliver consistent, predictable power consumption of a system.
UVD 3.2 This 3rd generation, named UVD3, provides acceleration for MPEG-2 bitstream, MPEG-4 part 2 ASP (also known as DivX/Xvid) and Multi-View Codec (MVC/Blu-ray 3D) formats. Figure 3 illustrates the evolution of UVD architecture since its introduction until its 3rd generation. (Mips processor and DSP? with it's own memory.)

How much of the 2014 design was incorporated in the 2013 PS4 Thebe and second custom chip?

volcanic-islands26iur9.jpg

Top Bottom