• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
stop crying about used games support the developers by actually buying the video games you play.

I buy every game new, except if talking about rare stuff you can no longer get new. I think restricting sharing or resale of a physical disc is a bad idea. It would tickle people's loss aversion instincts in a big way, and those are very powerful steers in consumer behaviour. Besides which, with digital growing, and so many new business models sprouting that don't hinge on the sale of a disc, it seems of limited value to interfere with physical discs at this stage. As others have said, let them die naturally if consumers voluntarily embrace other models and means of distribution.

Suirrad

This is amazing. Right before I went to sleep, it came out Sony was considering the change. Wake up to this. Just wow man. I am definitely tweeting both #PS4UsedGames and #PS4NoDRM

Once again, great work GAF. I really hope this has a big enough impact. For all of our sakes.

Cynar

stop crying about used games support the developers by actually buying the video games you play.
They already got their support on the initial purchase. They have no right to restrict me in any way that relates to me being able to lend my game, sell it, or buy used myself. Books and movies deal with it, so should gaming. Take the silver spoon out of your mouth.

gazele

Banned

I've never bought a used game before, but if you told me when I was ten that I couldn't borrow a game from a friend? There's so many games I would have never played and convinced my parents to buy

It's also the principle of consumer rights vs corporate rights

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I think it is very unlikely nintendo didn't agree to the DRM given their history and current region locking.

They probably just couldn't get it working...

Wii U too weak to block used games, yuk yuk!

Orca

I'm a little confused why this effort wouldn't be targeting Microsoft to change their mind, or at least go after both - not try and sway just Sony.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also, I don't think consoles are in a position to rock the boat on well established consumer expectations around how physical works. There are so many more alternatives now - which may have inherent tight drm of their own, but which set that expectation from the start and are much cheaper etc. It's a dangerous game to play.

Pubs and platform holders should innovate on new models that deliver new value to "lower value" consumers who have traditionally relied on used to fund their console gaming. Like PS+ for example. Use carrots, not sticks.

I think if tweeting people, talk their language. Suggest the business and strategic downsides. Copy the tweets to others working at publishers too.

I-hate-u

OK I tweeted Greg Miller, Colin Moriarity and Angry Joe asking for a retweet. Tweet to these guys. They have a lot of followers.

#PS4NoDRM

sn00zer

Agreed, literally the only problem I have with it is borrowing games from friends which I do quite a bit.

Steam does it, really cant see why this is such a huge issue, especially since you can log into your account and download every game you own on XB1.

Touch

Might want to try to reach out to video game tournament organizers as well. Wasn't there a thread pointing out how this could potentially be a clusterfuck for video game tournaments such as EVO? I'm not sure of any of their twitter names though.

I'm a little confused why this effort wouldn't be targeting Microsoft to change their mind, or at least go after both - not try and sway just Sony.

It may be too late for them to back out. They might have working deals with certain publishers like EA (but not really sure).

Casanova

Microsoft is, without a doubt, carefully watching these responses. We've given Microsoft plenty of time to straighten up their act and it has gotten us nowhere; whereas here, there is atleast a shred of hope that Sony will pull through for their fans.

Boke1879

Microsoft already got the backlash right after their reveal. From consumers and the media alike for their mixed messaging.

Up until this point no one was worried about Sony until a small comment was made by Geoff Keighely. it's not so much that his comment is true, but it reignited everyones fears that Sony could potentially do something as damaging as well.

Speevy

Banned
I think if we raise our voices high enough, Sony will have no choice but to make a note of it and continue to act in their own best interest.

Microsoft is, without a doubt, carefully watching these responses. We've given Microsoft plenty of time to straighten up their act and it has gotten us nowhere; whereas here, there is atleast a shred of hope that Sony will pull through for their fans.

This is what happens when Microsoft slips up. They could have avoided the pain by being completely honest. I think Phil Harrison is getting whipped right now.

Wazzy

Banned
They already got their support on the initial purchase. They have no right to restrict me in any way that relates to me being able to lend my game, sell it, or buy used myself. Books and movies deal with it, so should gaming. Take the silver spoon out of your mouth.
Thank you. Couldn't have said it any better.
Agreed, literally the only problem I have with it is borrowing games from friends which I do quite a bit.

Steam does it, really cant see why this is such a huge issue, especially since you can log into your account and download every game you own on XB1.

Steam is not comparable. I'm not spending over 50$ on a game that forces restrictions. You pay about 5-10$ and Steam usually has fantastic pricing and deals.

saunderez

They already had their chance to reconsider after the Adam Orth scandal. They didn't. So the balls in Sony's court now. They can do something good for the consumer and they will be rewarded (by me at least).

As the OP it was because I know a lot people at Sony and had access to the info to twitter accounts.

I don't know anyone at MS and don't know any twitter accounts other than @majornelson.

If Sony and MS want to be like Steam, then go digital only. Don't release a single game in physical form. If they do that then very few will complain. But if I go out and buy a physical game, then that's mine. I should be able to resell it without any issues. I should be able to let my friends borrow it without them having to jump through hoops to get it to run.

Orca

That's the thing I have a problem with. It's been what, a week since the unveil? It's been three months since Sony unveiled the PS4 and we don't know what they're doing. There's the same 'we might, we might not' speculation on both, which is why I just don't get why Microsoft is the only one on the end of the pitchforks here. I just don't get why it's so incredibly one sided, when they're both being secretive as fuck about what they might be doing.

Casanova

LOL at these people that trying to derail this.

Seriously, it's not like allowing used games is going to hurt their gaming experience in any way.

There are always those uncalled-for devil's advocates.

That's the thing I have a problem with. It's been what, a week since the unveil? It's been three months since Sony unveiled the PS4 and we don't know what they're doing. There's the same 'we might, we might not' speculation on both, which is why I just don't get why Microsoft is the only one on the end of the pitchforks here. I just don't get why it's so incredibly one sided, when they're both being secretive as fuck about what they might be doing.

The thing is though, Microsoft knew this would happen and they did it anyway and they were careless about it.

They've also shown that they care little of their fans, and more specifically, gamers. If Sony follows this movement, Microsoft will as well. Let's focus on one before splitting the movement into two smaller, less effective groups.

For some reason, there is a little something inside of me that wants Sony to succeed more than Microsoft, even though I have been a Microsoft fan since the OG Xbox. Their love and passion for games shows, and that attracts me more than television and sports, to be quite honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom